• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Ratchet was damn impressive... nothing else from the show really wowed me like the sequence of portals loading complex world after complex world. I hope we get actual gameplay with that as a mechanic... like some kind of next gen Titanfall 2 time sequence or Raziel's ability to shift realms in Soul Reaver.

HZD2 is pretty, but it's kind of been done before just not as good looking as what we have here...
I dunno, maybe I'm just biased since I didn't care for the original Horizon.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon and Ratchet look amazing.

A lot of the rest looked goof, but far from amazing even in the direct feed vids.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the jump seems more impressive than it is cause that first screenshot looks AWFUL doesn't look like a ps3 game at all, more like a ps2 game in HD.

How about these?

dPxhd7G.png

w33go52.jpg

BtK8ohR.png

unP78K1.jpg

Credit to
Arukado

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's tasty isn't it?

The stylised games were fucking offline cgi and horizon looked immense so it's time say it, fuck your toy story and toy story 2, monsters inc 1 and incredibles 1, gaming has jumped to wall e levels of stylised visuals, on year one of the new console generation. We couldn't even match toy story 1 at the end of last gen. Incredible. Fully expect insomniac to 'handshake' the likes of toy story 3 on the sequel to the new rachet and clank once they fully get to grips with the ray tracing and real time global illumination mid gen.

The jump is exactly what I wanted and damn happy it will jump as the gen goes on.

Didn't give a shit about RTX until the next gen consoles were out about ray tracing, even though it is the future indeed, and thanks to them we will get ray tracing across the board on cheap and expensive cards alike. Now I give a shit because my wallet won't cry for the ray tracing goodness on pc by next year. GT7 ray traced reflections were utterly tantalising in the snippets we saw. The GI looked stunning too on the flyover.

The games come alive and show off the leap something fierce in the higher quality 4K uploads and Ive watched R&C, horizon 2, GT7, demon souls trailers multiple times now.
Thats not where i was going with it. The people expecting Avatar and other high end CGI ate crow as well as the people expecting AC Odyssey, Control and RDR 2 at ultra settings to represent next gen visuals.

Jan 21, 2019
Final Fantasy XIII - CGI Cutscene - Release Dezember 2009 - dev time a billion years
Spider-Man Miles Morales - Ingame Cutscene - Release Holiday 2020 - dev time 2 years.

rlNb1pa.jpg

image_marvel_s_spider_man_miles_morales-42173-4526_0001.jpg

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
these screens look like a one gen jump. not two gens. they look comparable to bloodborne.

which is weird because the trailer looked even better than horizon. i have no idea why these screens look so underwhelming if that trailer was realtime or inengine.
To note here, those PS3 shots are definitely emulated. The actual original console version looks nowhere near that clean.

Generally though to me the bottom screenshots look like a next-gen port of Dark Souls 3 or something, or Dark Souls 3 if From Software had the tech prowess of bigger AAA developers.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
these screens look like a one gen jump. not two gens. they look comparable to bloodborne.

which is weird because the trailer looked even better than horizon. i have no idea why these screens look so underwhelming if that trailer was realtime or inengine.
I think it's just you. Most ppl from the other thread were much more happy with the game screenshots.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I thingk many people have rose tinted googles on about how good a game looks. This isn't just about blooborne.

People are dissapointed about graphics because new gamy x doesn't look that much better than game y they played 3 - 8 years ago. But then they watch a digital foundry comparision in 4k and are shocked how much better their memory of game y was.

I'm very sure that this'll happen again.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
Rachet and Clank was the only thing that impressed me and looked truly next gen. Other games looked good but didn't wow me.
Demon souls in some of the screenshots posted here looks great, i didn't realize from the stream that it was that good.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Horizon wasn't as impressive as I was hoping. There's a clear step up in fidelity in many areas, but there's also a lot that looks "last gen". The character rendering in particular doesn't look like a drastic boost. I think the Hellblade 2 trailer looked better, to be honest.

The character sure looked more realistic. Regardless, I agree on the character although this is more stylised. The environments though? Thought they looked more impressive here, especially the scene where Alloy is riding through the folliage to the vista. Just a triumpth of art and tech. Can see pretty obvious detail drop off in the landscape scenes in the Hellblade 2 vid.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope yesterday was a sobering moment for those of you that inexplicably thought PS5 games were going to look like Avatar.

Nov 2, 2017
I hope they fix the aliasing in Demon's Souls because it really sticks out like a sore thumb, both the jaggies aswell as the specular aliasing.

I thingk many people have rose tinted googles on about how good a game looks. This isn't just about blooborne.

People are dissapointed about graphics because new gamy x doesn't look that much better than game y they played 3 - 8 years ago. But then they watch a digital foundry comparision in 4k and are shocked how much better their memory of game y was.

I'm very sure that this'll happen again.
I played DS3 yesterday on PC and I prefer it over the DeS screens on this page. The screenshots are ruined by the awful aliasing though.

Bloodborne looks awful in motion though. I think it's one of the worst looking looking games in motion when it comes to IQ. As soon as you move the camera everthing shimmers & flickers.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
My only thing is still there is confusion about what is actual gameplay and what is just prerendered environments. Even horizon there was no gameplay there.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Horizon graphics were so good I have to see gameplay scenes before I believe it.

That dino-turtle and crab were incredibly detailed. And the scale of everything was crazy as well.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I hope yesterday was a sobering moment for those of you that inexplicably thought PS5 games were going to look like Avatar.

Why bring Avatar back into the conversation? I saw some good ass looking games that are sizeable jump over current gen. Given I am going to be controlling a character in a game looking like that, I am super pleased. I also find the art though much superior to Avatar, whose aesthetic was pretty well trodden even when it was released.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Very pleased so far. In line with my expectations and they were pretty huge after the Unreal 5 demo.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
It is in game like AC Valhalla gameplay trailer, some part are realtime cutscene other are in-game with cinematic camera.

jO2cKi.gif

The character in that gif also has the stuio spotlight style on the front part of them that guerilla loved using in horizon 1. Ac Odessy used it a ton too.

Horizon 2 looked in game to me, just with cinematic and staged cameras. Watched it in 4k on 50 inch TV last night in youtube and apart from some very, very slight aliasing I could catch when I paused the vid on the vista shots nothing looked faked. It having aliasing tells.me it's in game.

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Imagine what Daxter would look like on PS5, Sony pls give me Jak

Aloy reminds me of what Nathan Drake looks like in some commercials - his CG model, so impressive.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Yeah the light coming from the left hand side makes no sense from a natural illumination perspective, model in gameplay would look rather diffrent .

Yep, an interesting question moving forward is do developers ditch such methods in favour of natural lighting and leveraging real time GI to light characters realistically ,albeit in varying quality per platform, or stick to the spotlights to show off the detail and because on current gen consoles they are so used to using both baked and real time methods for lighting. Plus the cinematic flourish developers enjoy adding. Spiderman was another game where almost each time a character has a close up of them, they felt as if they were underneath a spotlight. The models looked great but it felt unnatural in certain cut scenes.

Of course being an avid watcher of DF yourself and John L prefer the natural and realistic lighting models over the overly staged ones. Which I agree with almost all the time with.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, an interesting question moving forward is do developers ditch such methods in favour of natural lighting and leveraging real time GI to light characters realistically ,albeit in varying quality per platform, or stick to the spotlights to show off the detail and because on current gen consoles they are so used to using both baked and real time methods for lighting. Plus the cinematic flourish developers enjoy adding. Spiderman was another game where almost each time a character has a close up of them, they felt as if they were underneath a spotlight. The models looked great but it felt unnatural in certain cut scenes.

Of course being an avid watcher of DF yourself and John L prefer the natural and realistic lighting models over the overly staged ones. Which I agree with almost all the time with.

Personally I think it suits Horizon. The game employs a hyper real aesthetic that very much deploys a lighting system to make the game look colourful and beautiful rather than realistic. It is a very cinematic game, and I think the way they highlight characters speaks to that. I also think the consistency of the aesthetic with the first game is making some people miss how the big step this is visually from the first. If you look at the scenes they are rendering there is much more geometric detail.