• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I think end-of-console-generation PC games are a good indicator of what cross-gen games may look like on next-gen consoles, or maybe some launch next-gen games, but not much more to be honest. That's pretty much what you got with PC BF3, Witcher 2, and honestly Medal of Honor Warfighter. Has anyone ever done a comparison between Ryse and PC Crysis 3? That'd be interesting and informative I think.

The thing with those late-gen games on PC is, if they have console versions (TW2 technically didn't at first) then they're still designed to support much weaker hardware than what you see pushing those amazing graphics. Even if there are games that on PC make a 2080 or 2080Ti sweat, we still haven't seen what games look like that target that 2080 as the baseline. Hell we haven't even seen what games look like that treat PS4 Pro, One X, or a 1060 as the baseline.
DF at the time stated Ryse to be more impressive in end visual result than Crysis 3.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The previous gen we had fairly regular games pushing the top end PCs: Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom 3.
Some of those 2011/2012 games actually were targeting PCs before consoles: Witcher 2, Crysis 2 & 3, BF3 (DICE admitted that), and even probably Far Cry 3 (just look at the PS3/360 version's performance). Witcher 2's console version was obviously a later downport, but the console versions of the other games don't look like they were made for consoles first -- they look like PC games that got decimated for consoles.

We haven't really had anything like that for this gen though. Maybe Metro Exodus.

Big Shirley

Banned
May 11, 2020
Some of those 2011/2012 games actually were targeting PCs before consoles: Witcher 2, Crysis 2 & 3, BF3 (DICE admitted that), and even probably Far Cry 3 (just look at the PS3/360 version's performance). Witcher 2's console version was obviously a later downport, but the console versions of the other games don't look like they were made for consoles first -- they look like PC games that got decimated for consoles.

We haven't really had anything like that for this gen though. Maybe Metro Exodus.

I don't get the fuss about Metro. I think it's an ugly game. The ray tracing redeems it a lot, but not so far that it compares to the best on PS4.

I suppose the absolute best graphics right now are Control's with ray tracing maxed out. That does looks a leap beyond the consoles. But I'd bet next gen will look very different: less impressive ray tracing, much more impressive in every other way. And overall the games will look way better.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the fuss about Metro. I think it's an ugly game. The ray tracing redeems it a lot, but not so far that it compares to the best on PS4.

I suppose the absolute best graphics right now are Control's with ray tracing maxed out. That does looks a leap beyond the consoles. But I'd bet next gen will look very different: less impressive ray tracing, much more impressive in every other way. And overall the games will look way better.
I played Exodus on PC without ray tracing and I think it's definitely one of the better looking games of this gen.

Big Shirley

Banned
May 11, 2020
I played Exodus on PC without ray tracing and I think it's definitely one of the better looking games of this gen.

I just don't see it I guess. I've watched quite a bit of PS4 footage and it definitely looks below average for the system, to me.

I really hate that effect whereby there are cracks and drops of water on the camera too. I hate anything like that. But it's far from just that.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Mark my words, the most impressive visuals will come from Polyphony.

The PS4 had a crap CPU and GTSport could still hold its own against Forza.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see it I guess. I've watched quite a bit of PS4 footage and it definitely looks below average for the system, to me.

I really hate that effect whereby there are cracks and drops of water on the camera too. I hate anything like that. But it's far from just that.
I haven't really looked at the console version so I don't know.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland

The PS4 had a crap CPU and GTSport could still hold its own against Forza.

I would be surprised to see a new GT this year. I am expecting a PS5 update to GT sport, Native 4K 120fps. Free update to owners of GT sport but also repackage the game with all the DLC for PS5 launch. New GT reveal end of 2021.

Polyphony still seem to be pushing GT sport content along with their pro gaining competitions

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I would be surprised to see a new GT this year. I am expecting a PS5 update to GT sport, Native 4K 120fps. Free update to owners of GT sport but also repackage the game with all the DLC for PS5 launch. New GT reveal end of 2021.

Polyphony still seem to be pushing GT sport content along with their pro gaining competitions
Polyphony has already announced that this year there will be much less updates.

GT7 could be a holiday 21 title considering that GTS was released in October 2017.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019

Nope. They've pretty much massively toned down GTSport updates, and have been most hands on deck for GT7 for a while.

If what I heard is correct, we won't wait long untill we see it.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Polyphony has already announced that this year there will be much less updates.

GT7 could be a holiday 21 title considering that GTS was released in October 2017.

I could see GT7 being a holiday 21 title, seems to be a lot of people putting it on lists for launch at PS5 launch, which I can not see happening.

Nope. They've pretty much massively toned down GTSport updates, and have been most hands on deck for GT7 for a while.

If what I heard is correct, we won't wait long untill we see it.

Sounds great, GT sport looks amazing, especially the HDR. I am ready for GT7 to melt my eyes. Hopefully we see it soon.

Big Shirley

Banned
May 11, 2020
Is GT7 definitely happening then? I'd kind of thought they'd just carry on with the Sport series from now on.

Agreed that Sport is a real looker. One of the most underrated games on the system from a visual standpoint. A little bit inconsistent but when it's good it's really brilliant.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
I could see GT7 being a holiday 21 title, seems to be a lot of people putting it on lists for launch at PS5 launch, which I can not see happening.

Sounds great, GT sport looks amazing, especially the HDR. I am ready for GT7 to melt my eyes. Hopefully we see it soon.
Considering they have done it before for console launches what about a gran turismo 7 prologue/demo could use it as a selling point for gt sport on ps5.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Is GT7 definitely happening then? I'd kind of thought they'd just carry on with the Sport series from now on.

Agreed that Sport is a real looker. One of the most underrated games on the system from a visual standpoint. A little bit inconsistent but when it's good it's really brilliant.

A new GT is coming, we just don't know if it'll be called GT7. Although based on Kaz's description of it, that sounds like something that'd be referred to as GT7 rather than Sport 2. Of course the Sport mode will stay in because it works perfectly as an online mode, but he described the next game as being a "combination of the past, present and future".

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. I still think of Polyphony Digital as benchmarkers in any generation.

Thinking back to the drip-feed reveals of Gran Turismo 5 gives me goose-bumps as to what type of experience they could deliver on PS5. I do mean 'experience' too.

Combining Polyphony Digital's technical abilities with the experience of a racing driver, Kaz himself, Gran Turismo PS5 should be on another level.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
This is CG quality guys.

Ym7Bahg.jpg

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
This is CG quality guys.

Ym7Bahg.jpg

That moment was the jaw dropper.

The depth, the detail, the temporal stability are staggering. And no pop-in or sacrifices in the draw distance, everything is appropriately detailed (as is the nature of the tech).

Also, check the detail/shadowing on the stone area she's standing on as she leaps off.

I expect we'll be matching CG level asset quality this gen... I mean, you cant get more detail than what is effectively infinite detail. (Hair being the main exception of course, I don't think we'll see that nailed til next, next gen). Light, FX etc. will still be many years away of course.

Now what I want to see is this tech representing a city environment with tonnes of life in it, that's what truly excites me in terms of games: dense, rich environments with dynamism..

8be2cc3656e2dbf2586f7851c510d888.gif
SourTameBeardeddragon-size_restricted.gif

V6Td.gif
tumblr_p22h2w4nRj1qc3ju8o10_500.gifv

We're already seeing a bit of it this gen:

tumblr_pe5ohmlJ4m1qc3ju8o2_r1_500.gif
210015.gif

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That moment was the jaw dropper.

The depth, the detail, the temporal stability are staggering. And no pop-in or sacrifices in the draw distance, everything is appropriately detailed (as is the nature of the tech).

Also, check the detail/shadowing on the stone area she's standing on as she leaps off.

I expect we'll be matching CG level asset quality this gen... I mean, you cant get more detail than what is effectively infinite detail. (Hair being the main exception of course, I don't think we'll see that nailed til next, next gen). Light, FX etc. will still be many years away of course.

Now what I want to see is this tech representing a city environment with tonnes of life in it, that's what truly excites me in terms of games: dense, rich environments with dynamism..

8be2cc3656e2dbf2586f7851c510d888.gif
SourTameBeardeddragon-size_restricted.gif

V6Td.gif
tumblr_p22h2w4nRj1qc3ju8o10_500.gifv

We're already seeing a bit of it this gen:

tumblr_pe5ohmlJ4m1qc3ju8o2_r1_500.gif
210015.gif
You expect Cyberpunk to look like that on this Gen?

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Thats not what cyberpunk looks like. That seems like a GIF from the first footage they showed years ago and is not representative.

Correct me if im wrong but i think thats the most recent footage. Looks firmly in this gen to me.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Thats not what cyberpunk looks like. That seems like a GIF from the first footage they showed years ago and is not representative.

Correct me if im wrong but i think thats the most recent footage. Looks firmly in this gen to me.

That footage is 2 years old. Left one is from gameplay. Right one was in-engine so in-engine was beyond realtime gameplay at the time.

Pacifica footage is 1 year old.

This compressed gif with chunks of data missing is latest "What game looks like on PC" footage we have.

reaver.gif

Event in June should give us high fidelity look of the game. Have they kept E3 2018 level or surpassed it?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The gif looks great. Cyberpunk could be the GTA5 moment of last gen imo or at least one of the best looking open world current gen games.
It should be a bannable offense to mention AVATAR at this point 🤣
I came to this thread to see the crow, but holy fuck HAHAHA. People actually discussing if games look as good as avatar?! In what universe?!
We reached avatar a while ago.

:P
latest

Last edited:

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
That footage is 2 years old. Left one is from gameplay. Right one was in-engine so in-engine was beyond realtime gameplay at the time.

Pacifica footage is 1 year old.

This compressed gif with chunks of data missing is latest "What game looks like on PC" footage we have.

reaver.gif

Event in June should give us high fidelity look of the game. Have they kept E3 2018 level or surpassed it?

Is that GIF from a Cyberpunk'77 trailer/preview? I can't recall seeing it..

If it is, I love that there are wide open areas like that to contrast with the rest.

You expect Cyberpunk to look like that on this Gen?

The GIF on the left is in-game running on a 1080Ti 2 years ago, so I it's fair to assume resolution and higher end fx are in there, but I expect it to be fundamentally the same. The shot on the right is an in-engine trailer. Naturally they both look better as dense gifs, but I do expect the game to be in this ballpark, yes.

Of course, I was mainly trying to convey the idea of life and dynamism.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Is that GIF from a Cyberpunk'77 trailer/preview? I can't recall seeing it..

If it is, I love that there are wide open areas like that to contrast with the rest.

They released that 4 second GIF on twitter last week as celebration for 5th Anniversary of Mad Max: Fury Road.

I wont be too shocked if they show off Badlands (where GIF takes place) a bit in June event.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
They released that 4 second GIF on twitter last week as celebration for 5th Anniversary of Mad Max: Fury Road.

I wont be too shocked if they show off Badlands (where GIF takes place) a bit in June event.

Awesome, thanks. Even taking into account the fact that it's a scaled down, dense gif image that's likely lifted from a very high end PC, I'm seriously impressed with the detail.

Can imagine zooming down that road off to the side kicking up dirt. So glad they're bringing such a variety of areas to it.

I wonder how they're gonna pull off what we've seen so far on those Jaguar cores and a HDD. Wouldn't be at all surprised if base consoles are 720p/900p at best. Maybe ~1152p/1440p with the Pro/X.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I wonder how they're gonna pull off what we've seen so far on those Jaguar cores and a HDD. Wouldn't be at all surprised if base consoles are 720p/900p at best. Maybe ~1152p/1440p with the Pro/X.

Well rumor that surfaced along with the delay was that one of the reasons for the delay was tech issues. Platform holders weren't happy about how game looked and performed on their HW.

Will be very interesting to see console version.

Oct 29, 2017
A new GT is coming, we just don't know if it'll be called GT7. Although based on Kaz's description of it, that sounds like something that'd be referred to as GT7 rather than Sport 2. Of course the Sport mode will stay in because it works perfectly as an online mode, but he described the next game as being a "combination of the past, present and future".

So competitive FIA licensed moon racing is in.

I wouldn't even be mad.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think technology wise they will be fully capable of that kind of fidelity, the problem is man hours needed to reach those levels. TFLOPS mean nothing if better tools are not made to create work more quickly and, as anybody in the industry knows, tool development is always really, really behind

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
A next gen fidelity infused Metal Gear:

This really doesn't impress me tbh. I think alot of currrent gen games look better.

I do not fully agree. But you do you.

I think technology wise they will be fully capable of that kind of fidelity, the problem is man hours needed to reach those levels. TFLOPS mean nothing if better tools are not made to create work more quickly and, as anybody in the industry knows, tool development is always really, really behind

That's the ultimate rub. Trading fidelity for man hours. It will be a spectacle to behold the iterations DICE's Frostbite, Ubisoft's Dunyia Engine etc will undergo to support the artists better by streamlining workflow pipeline like Epic are with their UE5.