• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
MS said every first party game has to run on the Xbox One, so we should not expect next gen graphics from those. If anything it was at this event where we could have been seen next gen graphics because 3rd party developers are free to do whatever they want.
The fact that a game has to scale from XBO to XSX doesn't mean that it can't look next gen - it just means that you need to spend A LOT of resources on implementing such scaling in a way which would provide tangible visual (and otherwise) benefits for both ends of the performance target.
MS being MS (they need to sell these XSXs) and having the earliest access to their own h/w is in a rather unique position where this can and should be the case.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that a game has to scale from XBO to XSX doesn't mean that it can't look next gen - it just means that you need to spend A LOT of resources on implementing such scaling in a way which would provide tangible visual (and otherwise) benefits for both ends of the performance target.
MS being MS (they need to sell these XSXs) and having the earliest access to their own h/w is in a rather unique position where this can and should be the case.
That is very true. MS certainly has the resources to develop a full next gen version.

On a different matter, it apparently is confirmed that Chorus runs at 4K60 with RT. If you ask me, that is crazy. The 2080Ti can't manage 4K60 without DLSS in a single game, not even near it! Does that mean RDNA2's RT solution is much better than Turing? Could be. Or it means DXR 1.1 has some serious performance improvements and they are using stuff like VRS to get the performance back. In any case, it bodes very well for Raytracing on consoles.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
On a different matter, it apparently is confirmed that Chorus runs at 4K60 with RT. If you ask me, that is crazy. The 2080Ti can't manage 4K60 without DLSS in a single game, not even near it! Does that mean RDNA2's RT solution is much better than Turing? Could be. Or it means DXR 1.1 has some serious performance improvements and they are using stuff like VRS to get the performance back. In any case, it bodes very well for Raytracing on consoles.
It says nothing as we know nothing about Chorus' frame budget or RT implementation.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It says nothing as we know nothing about Chorus' frame budget or RT implementation.
Yes but that doesn't matter because the fact that Raytracing runs at 4K60 AT ALL, regardless of implementation is telling of XSX RT performance, it certainly gives us an indication. And if you look at Chorus it looks extremly detailed visually.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but that doesn't matter because the fact that Raytracing runs at 4K60 AT ALL, regardless of implementation is telling of XSX RT performance, it certainly gives us an indication. And if you look at Chorus it looks extremly detailed visually.
Or it can be telling of how meagre the RT implementation could be in the game. Nor does 4K60 means it never dips. It also doesn't tell anything about the framebuffer setup of the game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or it can be telling of how meagre the RT implementation could be in the game.
It atleast has reflections and if you look at Wolfenstein and Control,you know how expensive they can be.

ChorusIX_Inline2.jpg

They look very similar to the ones in Control imo.

This is very impressive, extremly impressive. RT at 4K60 with a console.... I can't contain my excitement!

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Extremely detailed? Gameplay sections look just ok, kinda worse then Elite Dangerous.
And this still says nothing about RT implementation.

---
It atleast has reflections and if you look at Wolfenstein and Control,you know how expensive they can be.

ChorusIX_Inline2.jpg

This is very impressive, extremly impressive. RT at 4K60 with a console.... I can't contain my excitement!
Thats a cutscene, you do not even know if it runs in 60fps.
As i said we know nothing yet.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in what the games will look as you play them, not look at cutscenes, even if they are real time.

Honestly the biggest wish/expectation I have is options for lower res/more FPS in as many games as possible.

Go all out with fidelity for your 4k/30/HDR/RT mode, but give me at least a terrible looking 60 fps mode.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

ChorusIX_Inline2.jpg

That doesn't say anything. You can't tell if that's RT reflection or not just by looking at that.

Additionally not all RT reflections are the same so you can't really look at another game and measure performance. RT reflections in any game kills performance on my non RT hardware, but I can run Cry Engine's software ray tracing on my 1080 and it's ray traced reflection as well....doesn't mean my hardware is now more powerful. It just means it's using a different approach and is cheaper.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Extremely detailed? Gameplay sections look just ok, kinda worse then Elite Dangerous.
And this still says nothing about RT implementation.

---

Thats a cutscene, you do not even know if it runs in 60fps.
As i said we know nothing yet.

news.xbox.com

Chorus, a New Space Combat Shooter, is Coming to Xbox Series X in 2021 - Xbox Wire

Today, on Inside Xbox, Deep Silver Fishlabs exclusively revealed our brand-new title, Chorus, releasing in 2021 on Xbox Series X and Xbox One with Smart Delivery for all players. This means that you will only need to buy the game once to play on both Xbox Series X and Xbox One. Chorus will look...

We are fully leveraging the power of Xbox Series X hardware, allowing us to create richer and more detailed ray-traced environments, all at 4K and 60 FPS.

And it's 60 FPS, you can look at the trailer:

It is 60 FPS and looks amazing much better than Elite even in the space flight sections.

That doesn't say anything. You can't tell if that's RT reflection or not just by looking at that.

Additionally not all RT reflections are the same so you can't really look at another game and measure performance. RT reflections in any game kills performance on my non RT hardware, but I can run Cry Engine's software ray tracing on my 1080 and it's ray traced reflection as well....doesn't mean my hardware is now more powerful. It just means it's using a different approach and is cheaper.

I have played enough Control to know that these are finest RT reflections, and if you don't believe me then we will see very soon with more footage of the game, showing objects get reflected outside of screen space. Again, it's impressive no matter how you spin it. It doesn't matter what RT implementation it is. The RT looks extremly good and runs at 4K60. Something Turing has never been able to achieve before, without ML reconstruction. Yes, it's not a 1 to 1 comparison in regards to performance, but it gives us an rough idea of the rt capabilities.

Last edited:

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
news.xbox.com

Chorus, a New Space Combat Shooter, is Coming to Xbox Series X in 2021 - Xbox Wire

Today, on Inside Xbox, Deep Silver Fishlabs exclusively revealed our brand-new title, Chorus, releasing in 2021 on Xbox Series X and Xbox One with Smart Delivery for all players. This means that you will only need to buy the game once to play on both Xbox Series X and Xbox One. Chorus will look...

It is 60 FPS and looks amazing much better than Elite even in the space flight sections.

Again, it's impressive no matter how you spin it. It doesn't matter what RT implementation it is. The RT looks extremly good and runs at 4K60. Something Turing has never been able to achieve before, without ML reconstruction. Yes, it's not a 1 to 1 comparison in regards to performance, but it gives us an rough idea of the rt capabilities.

4k60 + RT?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RT can mean lots of things. Without knowing those things, we can't put a price on those achievements yet. If it's quarter resolution shadows on the main ship only, is that impressive? What about quarter resolution reflections? We just got to wait and see

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RT can mean lots of things. Without knowing those things, we can't put a price on those achievements yet. If it's quarter resolution shadows on the main ship only, is that impressive? What about quarter resolution reflections? We just got to wait and see
Yes it all would be impressive because it runs at 4K60. But look at the RT reflections shown in the trailer, the resolution is high enough and from what I can observe, they are very similar to Control in quality.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
For sure Rockstar has better physics, it's essential for a sandbox game. RDR2 looks incredible, but still not like what we've seen from TLOU2 (mainly characters and hand made animation).
Euphoria is less prebaked than hand crafted animation.

There is a reason why rdr2 or gta5 have a shitload of brutal kill compilation on yt, far more than any other games, because almost every kill and interaction with the scenery is different.

I'm ready to bet that tlou2 is not gonna have the same hit reaction\dead animation\body interaction with the scenery of rdr2, even if the level is gonna be crazy high of course (basically why i loved tlou1 to death)

I'm all in for dynamic animations, but i'm an absolute sucker for this shit, when i watch a game for the first time this stuff is the first thing my eyes\brain notice.

mrqs

Oct 25, 2017
Euphoria is less prebaked than hand crafted animation.

(...)

I'm all in for dynamic animations, but i'm an absolute sucker for this shit, when i watch a game for the first time this stuff is the first thing my eyes\brain notice.

For sure, i'm with you in that. I'm saying that TLOU2 doesn't need to have something like Euphoria, it doesn't have NPCs being hit by cars or exploding 10ft into the air.

But the facial capture made in TLOU2 it's really amazing. The amount of work in little subtle animations is insane. RDR2 have very strong points, even character animation in cutscenes are pretty incredible, but they're not TLOU2-level. Maybe 'cause of the size of the game and amount of work.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I have played enough Control to know that these are finest RT reflections, and if you don't believe me then we will see very soon with more footage of the game, showing objects get reflected outside of screen space. Again, it's impressive no matter how you spin it. It doesn't matter what RT implementation it is. The RT looks extremly good and runs at 4K60. Something Turing has never been able to achieve before, without ML reconstruction. Yes, it's not a 1 to 1 comparison in regards to performance, but it gives us an rough idea of the rt capabilities.

I have no idea how you are able to say that when it's only reflecting a very vague shape which does not seem to match with anything in the environment. It looks like any basic cubemap would look and has nothing similar to Control's RTX implementation.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
For sure, i'm with you in that. I'm saying that TLOU2 doesn't need to have something like Euphoria, it doesn't have NPCs being hit by cars or exploding 10ft into the air.

But the facial capture made in TLOU2 it's really amazing. The amount of work in little subtle animations is insane. RDR2 have very strong points, even character animation in cutscenes are pretty incredible, but they're not TLOU2-level. Maybe 'cause of the size of the game and amount of work.
Oh yeah, facial animation are best in business on tlou2, eye movement and micro movement for the lips are absolutely on a different level compared to anyone.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019

ChorusIX_Inline2.jpg

the light seems to be hitting her from the front right yet her shadows goes back right? Doesn't look like raytraced global illumination either cause the white/blue light isn't creating no bounced lighting anywhere. Maybe raytraced reflection, can't tell its barely visible and I can't see any reflections from any other geometry.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I think that game chorus will have RT reflections (just a hunch, not aconfirmation), but at the same time... yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, IDK. We should wait a bit to see how the game actually is in terms of performance or resolution. "4k 60" unfortunately can mean almost anything these days in a press brief. And given what we know about RT performance on PC, a real 4K seems... not at all realistic.
the light seems to be hitting her from the front right yet her shadows goes back right? Doesn't look like raytraced global illumination either cause the white/blue light isn't creating no bounced lighting anywhere. Maybe raytraced reflection, can't tell its barely visible and I can't see any reflections from any other geometry.

Those 2 massive white lines on the floor there are hand placed lights for the cinematic... they make no sense of course. BUt cinematic lighting rarely ever makes sense in games. Like, where in the hell are those two massive white reflection streaks supposed to be coming from in a completely red room?

mrqs

Oct 25, 2017
It can tell you a lot when people can't be sure if a game uses RT or not when you analyse some images.

RT can be pretty incredible, but modern game engines are way too good on simulating realistic lights. If RT reflections, at the end of the day, end up costing some good amount of processing, i can see many developers just using SSR.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
Terrible? Why do you think it looks terrible? I think it looks gorgeous. That screenshot looks very similar to Control imo.

I think the light shines into the scene from behind the camera. Maybe there's an open hatch or something.

if it was from behind the camera they would be reversed, the bright sharper part would be closer to us (the camera) and the light would fade out and be softer and less bright a it goes away from the light. It would also do something to the red on the pillars on the left.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
news.xbox.com

Existence of that is not automatic proof that it's RT. Planer reflections exist, and so do more advanced SSR methods. We've seen combination of both put to use to show reflections off screen and on screen, it's not a new thing.

It absolutely matters what the RT implementation is when you are using it to tout the power of the machine and how "not even a 2080Ti can do it". If you were merely talking about the effect rather than making comparisons like that then that'd be a different thing. The Cryengine software demo looked fine too, then you realise how it doesn't reflect everything, has ghosting etc. Nothing I see there tells me these are the "finest RT reflections"...not when there isn't even an example of transparency reflection in there.

The point is, we don't know yet. So no point making conclusions.

It can tell you a lot when people can't be sure if a game uses RT or not when you analyse some images.

RT can be pretty incredible, but modern game engines are way too good on simulating realistic lights. If RT reflections, at the end of the day, end up costing some good amount of processing, i can see many developers just using SSR.
It's not that. It's rather easy to tell when you are actually playing it, not easy to tell in screenshots or even videos where you don't have control of the camera, because SSR breaks in motion in ways RT reflections don't.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if it was from behind the camera they would be reversed, the bright sharper part would be closer to us (the camera) and the light would fade out and be softer and less bright a it goes away from the light. It would also do something to the red on the pillars on the left.
Oh yes you are right, I missed that part. Hm, then it really doesn't make sense.
Existence of that is not automatic proof that it's RT. Planer reflections exist, and so do more advanced SSR methods. We've seen combination of both put to use to show reflections off screen and on screen, it's not a new thing.

It absolutely matters what the RT implementation is when you are using it to tout the power of the machine and how "not even a 2080Ti can do it". If you were merely talking about the effect rather than making comparisons like that then that'd be a different thing.
Yes I'm aware of planar reflections but they are not used widespreadly, aren't they? Usually games only use SSR. Gears Tactic uses planar reflections with SSR as a more recent example afaik. It's not a 100% safe confirmation but it atleast it's a very reliable indication.

Yes I know, I was too excited when I said that haha! Maybe the RT solutions get more efficient for PC as well. We will see with future RT games.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018

I had the same thought.
Rtx are not ready to really shine on next gen console, maybe we are gonna see more impressive stuff on pc with the new nvidia gpu.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Terrible? Why do you think it looks terrible? I think it looks gorgeous. That screenshot looks very similar to Control imo.

I think the light shines into the scene from behind the camera. Maybe there's an open hatch or something.
Thats not how the light would behave if it was from behind the camera. Its completely implausible and makes the platform look almost super imposed into the scene via some photo editing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Devs using rt will be less about how much better a game looks and more about what it can enable a dev/artist to do. As long as they can hit their performance target, they won't care much about immediately looking better than last gen.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Resolution of RT reflections is extremely easy to change in UE4, it doesn't have to be anywhere near 4k. (Or even half res.)

Oct 29, 2017
While that shot is forcing it more than it shot have. I don't know why we are acting like light sources are supposed to be consistent with the camera. Watch most of your favorite movies and pay attention to what light is actually doing, and you will notice that there are always more light sources than those that exists inside the scene. Kickers, fills, etc. Cinematography is about artificially enhancing.

The thing is that in the real world you can't put a light in the midfle of the frame and turn it invisible, so there is a limit of how much you can force that artificiality. Otherwise you enter the school of iPhone ads CG lighting, with lights always in the perfect angles to produce reflections, lights that would show up on camera if it wasn't all digital.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Are you all really expecting native 4K when saying 4K/60? In this day and age of AI based reconstruction techniques, this would be far from optimal and RT would be much more useful with the available headroom when avoiding native 4K - and that's where I think we're going, we'll see how that pans out. Poor Dark1x and Dictator lol

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this crazy? Many DXR/RTX titles on PC can hit 4K/60 with lower RT settings on a 2080 - which is a rough equivalent to next gen consoles in general performance.
It's impossible to know what this means for the console RT h/w performance without knowing the details on what they mean by "RT" (and by "4K/60" too for that matter).
These screenshots while being 4K in size don't look anywhere near native 4K IMO. And the two specular highlights on the third one (which you've posted) kinda scream "rasterization fake" at me.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this crazy? Many DXR/RTX titles on PC can hit 4K/60 with lower RT settings on a 2080 - which is a rough equivalent to next gen consoles in general performance.
It's impossible to know what this means for the console RT h/w performance without knowing the details on what they mean by "RT" (and by "4K/60" too for that matter).
These screenshots while being 4K in size don't look anywhere near native 4K IMO. And the two specular highlights on the third one (which you've posted) kinda scream "rasterization fake" at me.
Additionally, I feel RT reflections won't really do much in a purely space combat game. RT shadows would make a lot more difference there than RT reflections.
That said it seems like they are aiming to add RT reflections, though whether it is alongside 4K60FPS or a choice between 4K60 or 4K30/sub4K60 with ray traced RT, whether that 4K is full 4K or reconstructed, whether that RT reflection is low quality....we don't know.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
Perhaps this is done already and I'm not aware, but wouldn't it make more sense and be more performant to use Screen Space Reflections across the board and then utilise Ray Traced Reflections on a highly granular level to fill in the gaps when objects are occluded or off-screen?

Of course, this won't be so effective for surfaces regularly parallel to the players (mirrors, windows etc. or skyscrapers in spidey for eg.) but for regularly perpendicular surfaces such as bodies of water, puddles, glossy floors and so on..

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Perhaps this is done already and I'm not aware, but wouldn't it make more sense and be more performant to use Screen Space Reflections across the board and then utilise Ray Traced Reflections on a highly granular level to fill in the gaps when objects are occluded or off-screen?

Of course, this won't be so effective for surfaces regularly parallel to the players (mirrors, windows etc. or skyscrapers in spidey for eg.) but for regularly perpendicular surfaces such as bodies of water, puddles, glossy floors and so on..

Battlefield 5 does this.

Initially it was fully Ray traced reflections, people complained about the performance then they secretly downgraded the reflection with a combination of SSR and RT without telling anyone. And told everyone they fixed it.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Additionally, I feel RT reflections won't really do much in a purely space combat game.
Depends on how they are thinking of using them. RT reflections of surroundings on your space fighter cockpit windows could be interesting, for gameplay considerations too (say, it would allow you to actually see a reflection of an explosion which happened out of your current field of view) - if just a bit distracting.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it would be interesting to go back and look at some of the IGN comparison videos for cross gen titles when current gen first came out. It put things into better perspective for me.

These two videos are really good (Watch Dogs and Thief)
www.youtube.com

Watch Dogs: Next Gen Vs. Current Gen Graphics Comparison

See how the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC versions of Watch Dogs stack up against one another.
www.youtube.com

Thief: Next Gen vs. Current Gen Graphics Comparison

Xbox One & PS4 & PC go head-to-head with Xbox 360 & PS3 in an epic graphics showdown.

First thing I noticed was that the jump for cross gen titles was fairly large. Here is an example from the Thief video:
MW3VglE.gif

And from Watch Dogs:
dTPSH0H.gif

Those two cross-gen examples show a significant jump in quality between platforms, so I don't think the cross-gen argument really holds much weight here. I also don't buy the diminishing returns argument either because look at some of those real-time UE4 demos posted in this thread. Current-gen games are nowhere near that visual quality so there is still plenty of room for improvement (but I still don't think we are going to get close to that with next gen). My guess is that the cross-gen differences will be similar to the examples I posted, maybe slightly less of a jump at first, but I think we will eventually see some huge jumps by mid-gen.

Last edited:

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since I enjoy speculating so much, I am going to do it some more! If I had to make a bet, I think late next gen graphics might get close to this, but with mostly lesser quality rasterized lighting (raytraced on PC), less polys in the simulated cloth, and probably shittier hair:

www.youtube.com

Assassin's Creed Black Flag E3 2013 Trailer

DIGIC's cinematic trailer for the Assassin's Creed series, the second Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag has debuted at E3 2013 in Los Angeles!Assassin's Creed ...

If we can get 75% of that, then that would be a significant generational jump.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Those 2 massive white lines on the floor there are hand placed lights for the cinematic... they make no sense of course. BUt cinematic lighting rarely ever makes sense in games. Like, where in the hell are those two massive white reflection streaks supposed to be coming from in a completely red room?

Doesnt make sense in movies either, this is just lighting based art direction.
chrisbrejon.com

Chapter 6: Lighting Principles - Chris Brejon

CG Cinematography Lighting Principles describe the fundamentals of a good lighting design. Based on personal experience and movies examples.

Fincher is an absolute master at this.
Many paintings are the same.