• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Man crossgen should die
I'm more impressed by TLOU2 , Ghost and RDR2 than anything they have shown today lol

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
When marketing a stream as being for your next-gen console, it'd be worth showing at least something that only next-gen can do. Little here was even that impressive for current gen, let alone cross gen. AC looked good for cross-gen but was only an in-engine trailer as opposed to the gameplay they promised.

And when you plaster "XSX" all over your stream a lot of the less technically versed or less reasonable people will be genuinely underwhelmed by the concept of next gen.

This should've been marketed as a general Xbox stream, not a first look at next gen.

The best part of the stream was Aaron Greenberg's fridge.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
We are never getting a full game that looks like this. Even if the tech was there(it isn't), It would require an insane budget, time and manpower for a full scale AAA game.
That Quixel Rebirth demo was made using a single GTX 1080Ti at 60fps, next gen games can absolutely achievable a graphical fidelity equivalent to this tech demo.

www.dsogaming.com

Quixel's next-gen photorealistic Rebirth tech demo was running on an NVIDIA GTX1080Ti with 60fps

Last week, we shared a tech demo from Quixel showing next-gen photorealistic graphics in Unreal Engine 4. Quixel used its Megascans photogrammetry tech in order to create something truly astounding and what’s interesting here is that this tech demo can run with 60fps on existing hardware. As...

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree. They should've just waited until they had Xbox series exclusives to show or even next gen exclusives

That's the problem, though. It's kind of unreasonable to expect third parties to have those in the first year, and Microsoft is refusing to fill that gap.

This is why Sony has a huge marketing opening. Their first-party stuff will almost surely just look better and more advanced than Microsoft's given their focus on PS5.

Nov 2, 2017
That Quixel Rebirth demo was made using a single GTX 1080Ti at 60fps, next gen games can absolutely achievable a graphical fidelity equivalent to this tech demo.

www.dsogaming.com

Quixel's next-gen photorealistic Rebirth tech demo was running on an NVIDIA GTX1080Ti with 60fps

Last week, we shared a tech demo from Quixel showing next-gen photorealistic graphics in Unreal Engine 4. Quixel used its Megascans photogrammetry tech in order to create something truly astounding and what’s interesting here is that this tech demo can run with 60fps on existing hardware. As...
At what resolution though? If it's 1080p then next gen games won't be able to look like that because devs won't target 1080p but 4k. If the demo is indeed 1080p you'd need about two 1080tis for 4k 30fps and no single GPU is even close to that. Even a 2080Ti is only like 40% faster than a 1080ti.

But I don't think that was his main point but rather that even if next gen could achieve those graphics you won't see games with this graphical fidelity because it would be way too costly to make a full game like that.

Oct 27, 2017
What a nuanced opinion completely forgetting that you are comparing AAA games with budget as high as skyscrapers to mostly indie and AA games.
Most people believe that better hardware allows devs to reach that level of graphic fidelity easier. It does to a point but it doen`t make miracles. This gen devs were far more limited by time and budget than hardware. Next gen this gap will beome even wider.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, forget what I said earlier about today's reveal. At this point, I'm about 70% sure that we'll see something truly next-gen before these systems launch.

Oct 2, 2018
I just played some Remnants of the Ashes on the PC and fuck me. Makes the console version even on ps4Pro looks shit.

:O :O

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The FPS game looked very impressive as did the Starfox like spaceship game.

I might be wrong but most of what was shown today was cross gen or from tiny studios in comparison to AAA studios.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Most people believe that better hardware allows devs to reach that level of graphic fidelity easier. It does to a point but it doen`t make miracles. This gen devs were far more limited by time and budget than hardware. Next gen this gap will beome even wider.
This! We've hit a wall in fidelity and that totally fine. Of course it's gonna get a jump this gen but if i look at the TLOU2 trailer, i'm like "it's fine if this is the bar. Try to match that on lower budgets". I hope the focus for nextgen is shifting more to physics development and reactivity, rather than "moar graphics plz"

Alexx

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4's epilogue is pretty close to that. Shitton of baked stuff and small environment. I just don't think that this could be done on a much larger scale with limited manpower.

www.youtube.com

Uncharted 4 Walkthrough - Epilogue (ENDING)

** WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD **IGN guides you through the Epilogue of Uncharted 4.For treasure locations, puzzle solutions and more, check out our full wiki on...

This looks nothing like the UE4 tech demo I posted.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

www.dsogaming.com

You have little idea how much performance hit a full game puts out on that. add all those systems, AI, UI, music etc to this and suddenly it doesnt run that smooth on a 1080TI anymore.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
The Medium is confirmed to be next gen exclusive. In the trailer this transition was a big "next gen" moment for me (along with the high quality visuals). Showing what can happen with an SSD on the system in terms of game design.
(@1:59)

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Bright Memory Infinite reminds me of that tech demo that's been shown here with the crazy weather effects.

Oct 25, 2017
even before the xbox thing last night, my expectation was this current gen on massive steroids. not close to 2d to 3d leap. not close to psx to dreamcast. but solid all round, with some spectacular visuals when budget allows.

i stand by that. im going high end pc and ps5 and i expect next gen games for about 3 years to be like current high/enthusiast pc visuals. after that we will probably see some bigger leaps, but thats also when devs will start targeting 30fps for those said leaps.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
The Medium is confirmed to be next gen exclusive. In the trailer this transition was a big "next gen" moment for me (along with the high quality visuals). Showing what can happen with an SSD on the system in terms of game design.
(@1:59)

This one is interesting if it's confirmed next gen exclusive. It seems to be designed around strong light sources so it smells like RT really. The first part is clearly cgi that said, and the actual gameplay seems lower budget but it could work well with RT.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Looks current gen but also GoT along with Gears 5 and Tlou2 somehow manages to look more impressive than most if not all the next gen stuff I saw today. Damn.
Next gen should be pretty good looking when devs get to do the second wave of next gen games.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
This one is interesting if it's confirmed next gen exclusive. It seems to be designed around strong light sources so it smells like RT really. The first part is clearly cgi that said, and the actual gameplay seems lower budget but it could work well with RT.
Nothing in anything shown today by MS has lead me to believe that RT is used in any of these titles. I do wonder if some of them being XSX exclusive is just because the devs behind them don't really have the resources to optimize these titles to run at 30 fps on XBO.
But this, so far, is pretty close to what I'm expecting from the first wave of next gen releases. What surprises me though is that MS hasn't shown anything at all from their 1st party lineup. Even one truly next gen highlight would make this event a lot better I'd say.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
even before the xbox thing last night, my expectation was this current gen on massive steroids. not close to 2d to 3d leap. not close to psx to dreamcast. but solid all round, with some spectacular visuals when budget allows.

i stand by that. im going high end pc and ps5 and i expect next gen games for about 3 years to be like current high/enthusiast pc visuals. after that we will probably see some bigger leaps, but thats also when devs will start targeting 30fps for those said leaps.
Its gonna be a big leap, We have seen 3rd party cross gen games and few exclusives that are on PC (targeting the average PC). we are going from 1.XX teraflops to 12 RDNA2, Devs have to catch up in utilizing and budget has to allow it. wait for PS5 and Xbox Series X 1st party reveals, you will be blown away. AAA games will show a level of detail you've never seen quote me on it. Compare Killzone 3 to Killzone Shadowfall.

Killzone 3 (2011)(PS3)

Killzone : Shadow fall (2013)(PS4)

Oct 25, 2017
Its gonna be a big leap, We have seen 3rd party cross gen games and few exclusives that are on PC (targeting the average PC). we are going from 1.XX teraflops to 12 RDNA2, Devs have to catch up in utilizing and budget has to allow it. wait for PS5 and Xbox Series X 1st party reveals, you will be blown away. AAA games will show a level of detail you've never seen quote me on it. Compare Killzone 3 to Killzone Shadowfall.

Killzone 3 (2011)(PS3)

Killzone : Shadow fall (2013)(PS4)

Oh dude, im aware on paper how much of a leap we are getting

im just convinced that DR is hitting more and more each gen. We are throwing huge amounts of raw power at next gen but the returns are much less than we have gotten previous gen. Every gen past, the power gaps are bigger, but the returns are smaller.

A lot of people disagree but im pretty confident on this personally.

Regardless im EXTREMELY excited-lost job due to covid so all of this tech news and new games etc is uplifting for me right now :)

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Nothing in anything shown today by MS has lead me to believe that RT is used in any of these titles. I do wonder if some of them being XSX exclusive is just because the devs behind them don't really have the resources to optimize these titles to run at 30 fps on XBO.
But this, so far, is pretty close to what I'm expecting from the first wave of next gen releases. What surprises me though is that MS hasn't shown anything at all from their 1st party lineup. Even one truly next gen highlight would make this event a lot better I'd say.

I kinda want to make a thread about trying to analyze footage from today to see what new tech could be found in it, but i won't probably :p Let's wait for Digital Foundry to do it lol.

About RT, i can tell you, in the Dirt 5 trailer, in the first part with the frozen lake, i paused and the reflexion is more than screen space, as it shows a different perspective for some objects. But RT in this game seems completely contradictory with the high framerate focus.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
About RT, i can tell you, in the Dirt 5 trailer, in the first part with the frozen lake, i paused and the reflexion is more than screen space, as it shows a different perspective for some objects. But RT in this game seems completely contradictory with the high framerate focus.
Yeah, I've looked at this one as well. Doesn't seem to be using RT either for now - some non-SSR reflections may be done through SDFs and voxels. But the game seem to be in AMD's partner program so it won't surprise me if they'll actually add RT to it, if only on PC in the end.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
Chorus looks good graphically and I think it will be 4k60 with RT with Dynamic Physics and very high LOD

EB61I6L.jpg

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I've looked at this one as well. Doesn't seem to be using RT either for now - some non-SSR reflections may be done through SDFs and voxels. But the game seem to be in AMD's partner program so it won't surprise me if they'll actually add RT to it, if only on PC in the end.
Yup.

There is quite bit of work involved in getting RT to work properly with all scene elements, so adding it to game or engine during ongoing development might be a bit too much to ask.
Blending objects/materials, transparency, fog volumes, any screen space FX etc.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I kinda want to make a thread about trying to analyze footage from today to see what new tech could be found in it, but i won't probably :p Let's wait for Digital Foundry to do it lol.

Dirt has ssr, you can see all the errors in the Trailer.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What surprises me though is that MS hasn't shown anything at all from their 1st party lineup. Even one truly next gen highlight would make this event a lot better I'd say.

MS said every first party game has to run on the Xbox One, so we should not expect next gen graphics from those. If anything it was at this event where we could have been seen next gen graphics because 3rd party developers are free to do whatever they want.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Have we got any comparisons between high quality SSR and RT in the same game?

I appreciate one will be accurate, but wondering if there is a wow factor to boot?