• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Realtime
yLLGetK.png

FINALLY good rocks!. I am so tired of rocks and stone in games like assassins creed odyssey looking so fake. This will change that!

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know this comes from a small struggling indie/ AA studio that doesn't have any experience with realistic graphics, right? Search for Daedalic on Google and see what games they made in the past. You can compare them to Telltale games or similar small devs.
Look my next posts after this.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
On the contrary, next gen's lighting is the first and most likely candidate for a huge change* thanks to RT h/w.

* It'll still be a minor change in the eyes of the most gamers of course.

Judging by the performance of the path traced Minecraft on the xsx we will likely get similar RT implementations to games like BF5, metro exodus etc

Feb 8, 2018
There is a crazy amount of geometry detail in the environments. The shots look pretty good (art style aside), but certainly not what I'm expecting from next gen.

If anybody thinks this is all we're going to get from the next gen hardware, then you're crazy. I'm willing to bet that Microsoft's Thursday event is going to show some really good stuff.

To be fair my expectations usually aren't particularly big going into next gens. This time around the bar is a little higher so I'm able to see that this isn't on par with the best visuals in this thread and it's no avatar. Looks fine for what it is though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by the performance of the path traced Minecraft on the xsx we will likely get similar RT implementations to games like BF5, metro exodus etc
well, going balls to the wall, full path tracing was insane for a console to begin with. a hybridized approach would have always been the best option for a locked box

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how cel-shaded games will benefit from next gen HW. Tales of Arise already look mighty glorious:

Not quite cel shading, more if a painterly style, but y would love to see cartoony games like Telltale adventure games look half as good as that short from Dead Love + Robots (since That's the theme of the thread) where farmers fight aliens using mechs.

Last edited:

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
If a console that's twice as powerful as the XoX in GPU power alone can only achieve RDR2 high settings then this generation is doomed.

It's incredible the lack of imagination we sometimes put in our expectations. Imagine people who said "just expect Last of us at higher res and framerate" before this gen started. And the jump this gen is going to be even bigger from what we are seeing in specs.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
It's incredible the lack of imagination we sometimes put in our expectations. Imagine people who said "just expect Last of us at higher res and framerate" before this gen started. And the jump this gen is going to be even bigger from what we are seeing in specs.
Exactly We're not going to know what to expect from next gen until Thursday. It'll blow anything else out of the water

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
BFV doesn't use RT for lighting, only for reflections. Exodus is a better example as well as Control. And yes, I expect most next gen games to move to RT lighting exclusively once we'll get rid of current gen baseline. It will probably be a hybrid solution with light probes being updated by RT and RT used to fix leaks and such but still - it should provide a sizeable upgrade over what's there in its place in current gen. This upgrade should allow for much more world dynamics as well as lighting will become (almost) real time and won't break as much on significant geometry and lighting conditions changes. This will be noticeable to those who are paying attention. The rest will just appreciate the better overall IQ.

well, going balls to the wall, full path tracing was insane for a console to begin with. a hybridized approach would have always been the best option for a locked box
What's "full path tracing"? All current RT implementations have some severe limitations in how far the rays are traced. Tweaking these limitations to more or less steps in tracing, removing secondary bounces, scatters and such will still net you a "path traced" frame - which will run on a "weak" RT h/w, just won't look as good.

Feb 10, 2018
I don't see how it doesn't. from what we heard about Minecraft, the console runs similarly to the 2080 without DLSS. since we're still in the early days of RT, that's a decent result in my eyes

You are adding additional meaning to words. This is pointless if you cant communicate with the English language.
Im done with this, bye.

Feb 10, 2018
BFV doesn't use RT for lighting, only for reflections. Exodus is a better example as well as Control. And yes, I expect most next gen games to move to RT lighting exclusively once we'll get rid of current gen baseline. It will probably be a hybrid solution with light probes being updated by RT and RT used to fix leaks and such but still - it should provide a sizeable upgrade over what's there in its place in current gen. This upgrade should allow for much more world dynamics as well as lighting will become (almost) real time and won't break as much on significant geometry and lighting conditions changes. This will be noticeable to those who are paying attention. The rest will just appreciate the better overall IQ.

What's "full path tracing"? All current RT implementations have some severe limitations in how far the rays are traced. Tweaking these limitations to more or less steps in tracing, removing secondary bounces, scatters and such will still net you a "path traced" frame - which will run on a "weak" RT h/w, just won't look as good.

I never said BF5 uses RT lighting.
Jeez..

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
redundancy for the sake of superlative
The only solid difference between a "hybrid" and "path traced" frame currently is the way the primary rays are being shot.
In "hybrid" renderer they are "shot" with your usual Z-buffer rasterization. Then RT h/w is used for tracing "secondary" rays inside the scene, from light sources and such.
In "path traced" renderer they are shot as rays via RT h/w and then traced further to a (limited) number of bounces.

I never said BF5 uses RT lighting.
Jeez..
Which is weird since it was you who were talking about lighting.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I can't imagine that everything we'll see come the Xbox Inside will be cross-gen.

But I think it wouldn't be too shocking if that's the case, because I assume that, while they'll show a lot of their own first party stuff later on, they will probably still have third-party stuff show up.

Isn't the Harry Potter game to be next-gen only (as per rumours/job posts)? I could see it here. Although I don't know, I think WB might actually delay their plans to reveal it.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
woah this gen looks amazing .> next gen will look like current games but at XXXXp and XXfps > oh shit this looks amazing

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Yes you're banging on about teraflops when almost everyone has told you that the metric doesn't make sense for this gen. Also stop being so fucking rude.
Seriously, this my last answer. Just follow the posts, because you clearly do not understand the discussion we had. It wasnt about how next-gen games look like or if new consoles are powerful, but what is the differences in gpu power within last few generations.

Feb 10, 2018
The only solid difference between a "hybrid" and "path traced" frame currently is the way the primary rays are being shot.
In "hybrid" renderer they are "shot" with your usual Z-buffer rasterization. Then RT h/w is used for tracing "secondary" rays inside the scene, from light sources and such.
In "path traced" renderer they are shot as rays via RT h/w and then traced further to a (limited) number of bounces.

Which is weird since it was you who were talking about lighting.

Why dont you quote that then?

Your taking two different posts making different points and trying to lump them together, thats weird.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing. Maybe we'll get half that level of simulation with 16 core / 32 thread Zen 5 CPUs in PS6 and Xbox Series X successor.
If we get it in future, it will be offloaded to GPU, but not in next-next gen. Probably we'll have to use new hardware ala Tensor Cores to make it performant.

This sim solver is also amazing :)

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, this my last answer. Just follow the posts, because you clearly do not understand the discussion we had. It wasnt about how next-gen games look like or if new consoles are powerful, but what is the differences in gpu power within last few generations.

1.3tflops on XB1S to 12tflops (closer to 16tflops of XB1S GPU performance) on Series X is much more than a traditional generational leap in terms of paper specs.

If you're being pedantic and using the X to Series X (6 vs 16) it's still a significant leap on paper. The leap will be far greater on screen in real World performance due to a number of factors.

Stop being a baby with the personal insults.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
1.3tflops on XB1S to 12tflops (closer to 16tflops of XB1S GPU performance) on Series X is much more than a traditional generational leap in terms of paper specs.

If you're being pedantic and using the X to Series X (6 vs 16) it's still a significant leap on paper. The leap will be far greater on screen in real World performance due to a number of factors.

Stop being a baby with the personal insults.
No one is saying its not significant, but its not 6-7x like in previous gens for cross-gen titles.
Of course if we'll count RT performance we'll get closer to previous generation ratios, but thats not what discussion was about.
And what personal insults? ...