• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
No I disagree, Control is a current gen game with rasterization replaced by RT in some areas. Control is on XBO and PS4 without RT, which is going to be in next gen consoles. the game was developed with the 1.3 TF Xbox One in mind and the framerate lagged badly on base consoles at launch. Control looks very good on my RTX 2080, but I know next gen games will blow it out maybe not the RT quality but Asset Quality, Animation, Textures and much more. Name one game on PS3 that compares to death stranding visually.
You asking him compare a PS3 game to a top end current gen that came out at the tail end of this gen. When he's talking about PC ver of late gen games being a good bar for the type of visuals you can expect on average on console next gen as they fall just short. That's always been the case and will remain the case even going forward.

I'll give you an example, Crysis 3. Made for PS360 and chugged like hell on those consoles. It was quite possibly the most technically advanced title on those consoles technically speaking. But the PC ver was clearly a step or two above, enough so that even today when you play Crysis 3 on PC it looks like a game that can easily fit in the upper half of the current gen games visually speaking.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
You asking him compare a PS3 game to a top end game that came out at the tail end of this gen. When he's talking about PC ver of late gen games being a good bar for the type of visuals you expect on average on console next gen as they fall just short.

ill give you an example, Crysis 3. Made for PS360 and chugged like hell in those consoles. But the PC ver was clearly a step or two above, enough so that even today when you play Crysis 3 on OC it looks like a game that can easily fit in the upper half of the current gen games visually speaking.
But in the end it shows the difference between hardware power... does it not?

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'll take whatever can be possible..

But I want this

With this

And this

Also

Why not?

All in third person.

I think all of this is attainable. Those house UE4 demos run at 4K even on my computer with greatly inferior specs then these consoles have. Not every game will look this good and probably no launch titles will.

I honestly think these videos are playing it safe in regards to what will be possible.

Nobody imagined something like Death Stranding or Red Dead Redemption would be possible this gen and here we are.

Also Ninja Theory's early game samples already look amazing.

It may take awhile to see lots of games with this asset quality but yes the systems will be capable of such with limited raytracing functionality as well.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
PS4 and Xbox One just can't run this game. It is a Preview into Next Gen

Star Citizen:
tpgM7XX.jpg

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
I think all of this is attainable. Those house UE4 demos run at 4K even on my computer with greatly inferior specs then these consoles have. Not every game will look this good and probably no launch titles will.

I honestly think these videos are playing it safe in regards to what will be possible.

Nobody imagined something like Death Stranding or Red Dead Redemption would be possible this gen and here we are.

It may take awhile to see lots of games with this asset quality but yes the systems will be capable of such with limited raytracing functionality as well.
I agree!

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
No I disagree, Control is a current gen game with rasterization replaced by RT in some areas. Control is on XBO and PS4 without RT, which is going to be in next gen consoles. the game was developed with the 1.3 TF Xbox One in mind and the framerate lagged badly on base consoles at launch. Control looks very good on my RTX 2080, but I know next gen games will blow it out maybe not the RT quality but Asset Quality, Animation, Textures and much more. Name one game on PS3 that compares to death stranding visually.

Yeah you have a point about not targeting a lower end SKU at all, which Control does.

Star Citizen is a bit that way, but it's a bit different. It's like comparing a new MMO to a console game. It's a bit of an odd ball and not really representative of anything other than games like it.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

I dunno about that, Watch Dogs & Witcher pre downgrade set up for some mighty disappointment, but RDR2 got close, DS i think is overrated visually but it's not bad.
This gen i think devs will be more careful about show casing games on $3000 PC's at E3, well there is not even an E3 this year so good start i suppose.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I dunno about that, Watch Dogs & Witcher pre downgrade set up for some mighty disappointment, but RDR2 got close, DS i think is overrated visually but it's not bad.
This gen i think devs will be more careful about show casing games on $3000 PC's at E3, well there is not even an E3 this year so good start i suppose.

Well yeah current gen games won't match the expectations people have for next gen experiences but I do think top shelf developers will deliver games that match or even surpass the UE4 and Unity tech demos of today.

It's quite exciting but this quality increase will take time. I think the next few months will be really exciting as we will hopefully finally get to see some next gen experiences.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
knsCODx.gif

Well ya that GIF is quite far away. There are lots of posts in this thread of people expecting mostly the same visuals or even less because "a 2080ti cant max out control at 4k 60" or some other irrelevant statements. Or the people claiming Ryse and Shadowfall werent much better than TLOU.

I could see this being somewhat possible if they have pre-rendered backgrounds with fixed camera angles (ps1 resident evil era style) and allocating all the other resources to the characters.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
knsCODx.gif

I could see this being somewhat possible if they have pre-rendered backgrounds with fixed camera angles (ps1 resident evil era style) and allocating all the other resources to the characters.
We see a glimpse of that in Star Citizen which is a massive multiplayer open world game. I can see something like the above in a smaller Resident Evil type game.

dakdPxa.gif

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
Im still waiting for Watch Dogs 2012 E3 to come to fruition, specifically this part until the gas station blows up.
youtu.be

[E3 2012] Watch Dogs - E3 Gameplay Demo

The gameplay demo of Watch Dogs from Ubisofts conference
Lol. But I think next gen will blow this away.
Death Stranding is overrated? What games look better on PS4? That's visual showcase.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So... here's a resampling of what I 'hope' gameplay fidelity gets substantially close to, in motion whilst not pixel peeping:

Good job finding that. Wow.

Danke! Yea, that part kind of stuck out in my mind but still spent around half an hour looking for it other people's Let's Plays.

Insofar as the visuals are concerned, that episode blew my mind more than any, ANY other episodes. I thought that this was post-fx animation-fication of a live action project. Oh boy, was I wrong. So very wrong.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
For the last few gens we've had recent or previews of high end PC games that showed precisely a bar the next gen consoles would fall short of reaching. For PS4 it was games like Battlefield 3 & Battlefield 4 (which was better than the PS4 version at launch), and for 360 it was titles like Call of Duty 2 and Oblivion. I don't think it'll be any different this time. I expect the bar now is stuff like Control with full RTX.
And what about Battlefield One and Battlefield V On PS4? Both are leagues ahead of BF4 on PC.

Jan 21, 2019
For the last few gens we've had recent or previews of high end PC games that showed precisely a bar the next gen consoles would fall short of reaching. For PS4 it was games like Battlefield 3 & Battlefield 4 (which was better than the PS4 version at launch), and for 360 it was titles like Call of Duty 2 and Oblivion. I don't think it'll be any different this time. I expect the bar now is stuff like Control with full RTX.
I, uhm, what???

Why are you arbitrarily stopping in the middle of the generation? Battlefront 2, Battlefield 5 und Modern Warfare look a lot better than their predecessors.

Control doesn't even have impressive characters. Resident Evil 3 looks better in many cases barring the ray tracing.

Late gen PC games on ultra have never been a good indicator of next gen visuals. Next gen introduces new ways of making games that aren't employed now.

Or do you really think remedy won't be able to topple their own game with an insanely higher baseline.

In case you are talking strictly about early gen games. Yeah maybe. But I don't think so. Last gen upgrades were quite underwhelming to the point where Ubisoft and friends misinterpreted what they were getting and made a game asking for the wrong things from PS4 and XO. This gen devs are getting things they didn't even dream of. Remember Cerny said in an interview that some devs where quite bullish when asking about an SSD, they were probably asking for a bog standard sata SSD. Now they are getting at least 2.4gb/s. Then hardware raytracing then desktop CPUs. This is a paradigm shift unlike any other generation. Making games gets easier while the power budget explodes beyond belief. There also the insane middleware market. I am positive that this time, day one games will be mind boggling. I am sure many sceptics will be surprised.
I don't expect CGI level of visuals from the get go. That will happen later, I'm sure. But the beginning alone will be super cool.

DF should probably get some interns for all the Analysis they will be doing.

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I, uhm, what???

Why are you arbitrarily stopping in the middle of the generation? Battlefront 2, Battlefield 5 und Modern Warfare look a lot better than their predecessors.

Control doesn't even have impressive characters. Resident Evil 3 looks better in many cases barring the ray tracing.

Late gen PC games on ultra have never been a good indicator of next gen visuals. Next gen introduces new ways of making games that aren't employed now.

Or do you really think remedy won't be able to topple their own game with an insanely higher baseline.

In case you are talking strictly about early gen games. Yeah maybe. But I don't think so. Last gen upgrades were quite underwhelming to the point where Ubisoft and friends misinterpreted what they were getting and made a game asking for the wrong things from PS4 and XO. This gen devs are getting things they didn't even dream of. Remember Cerny said in an interview that some devs where quite bullish when asking about an SSD, they were probably asking for a bog standard sata SSD. Now they are getting at least 2.4gb/s. Then hardware raytracing then desktop CPUs. This is a paradigm shift inline any other generation. Making games gets easier while the power budget explodes beyond belief. I am positive that this time, day one games will be mind boggling.

Hes not even stopping at the middle, hes stopping at the beginning and purposefully choosing games that werent even using renderers properly tailored to next gen. But i guess thats the only way to frame such a ridiculous argument.

Deleted member 25834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm convinced that half of what makes games look good is the camera. I almost feel like a lot of these high fidelity examples could be accomplished with a more fixed camera and better "movie direction" during cut scenes.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Since I've been on an 80s synthwave kick recently, I would love a 3rd person cyberpunk game. Possibly a noir-like open world style.

Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 will scratch that itch, but I'm wanting something like GTA, but cyberpunk.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019

Utherellus

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Now, we all talking about SSD and big, detailed worlds with high quality assets but...

The upgrade industry needs today the most is physics.

Hair. Fluids. Smoke. Wind.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Closest match I could find:

Wow, great job that's basically the same exact spot.
That makes for a very interesting comparison, though when i said they might get somewhat close i meant during cutscenes rather than actual gameplay obv.

knsCODx.gif

Was the "in-depth making of" this episode ever released ? I remember the director promising he would show us the workflow behind this because people kept saying it was real life footage with CG on top rather than full CG as they kept saying.
And to be honest, i still think this to be the case.

Last edited:

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Now, we all talking about SSD and big, detailed worlds with high quality assets but...

The upgrade industry needs today the most is physics.

Hair. Fluids. Smoke. Wind.

God damn! That bread ripping was mighty impressive. Not sure if we will see this level of physics but one can hope. What I am especially fascinated by are improved weather effects. Imagine real time clouds that can suddenly transform into a tornado or what not.

But I really hope we will be able to also enjoy much more refined animations.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
Since I've been on an 80s synthwave kick recently, I would love a 3rd person cyberpunk game. Possibly a noir-like open world style.

Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 will scratch that itch, but I'm wanting something like GTA, but cyberpunk.

Warner Games/WB Montreal/Rocksteady should just make a Blade Runner game..

The atmosphere and world of both the OG and 2049 are perfect for gaming. And with the CPUs and SSDs, it could finally be done justice.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Guess the game...

Wow, great job that's basically the same exact spot.
That makes for a very interesting comparison, though when i said they might get somewhat close i meant during cutscenes rather than actual gameplay obv.

From memory of having played the game last year, I, unfortunately, do not recall a cutscene featuring a similar segment. IIRC, that portion itself was a concept reel when the team were still pondering whether to go the Norse or Egyptian route.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Was the "in-depth making of" this episode ever released ? I remember the director promising he would show us the workflow behind this because people kept saying it was real life footage with CG on top rather than full CG as they kept saying.
And to be honest, i still think this to be the case.
There's a 1 minute behind the scenes sizzle thing on youtube. There's also this interview. It's an incredible looking short but I'm a bit perplexed at why people think there's real life footage. CG has perfected inanimate objects, landscapes and cityscapes for a long time, there being no mocap involved in the animation is the much more impressive feat considering how lifelike the movements were.

Look at Zodiac from 2007. Pretty much every outdoor scene is entirely cg. I follow a lot of the visdev/concept artists that work with Alberto Mielgo on Spiderverse and The Witness, they all backup the claim.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
So, err, is this the Next-gen console tech thread now? :P

On a serious note - has anyone got any links to GDC chats or similar where devs have covered 'rewind' functions and their effects on performance?