• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 21, 2019
This looks more exciting to me than anything I've seen so far from Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of raw visual fidelity and 2077 is my most anticipated game lol.

Why does 2077 look very blurry when they've shown it. Their AA solution or genuine console footage?

I am positive that next gen will bring the death of TAA. I love TAA for killing jaggies this gen, but I really want games to be clearer next gen. No point in having microdetail if it is blurred by TAA.

Jan 21, 2019
Yeah, not expecting games to look anything like this (maybe cutscenes for next gen games from studios like Naughty Dog and such), but posting because it does look amazing for realtime. Rendered in UE4.

lukas-hajka-highresscreenshot00001.jpg

What the actual fuck?

chD2O5Z.png

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Yeah, not expecting games to look anything like this (maybe cutscenes for next gen games from studios like Naughty Dog and such), but posting because it does look amazing for realtime. Rendered in UE4.

lukas-hajka-highresscreenshot00001.jpg

Wait WTF I scrolled down thinking its a still from a live action movie or something :O

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I fear raytracing will be brutal on these consoles - hopefully devs push for high fps and good art direction over native 4k and heavy ray traced elements.

HDMI 2.1 VRR should help a bit, I guess.

I've always been someone who couldn't care less about things being photorealistic. Most of the A/B's I see going around between normal rasterisation and ray tracing don't really look that amazing to me. Sure, they look "better", reflections might be where they weren't etc, but I don't consider that stuff system seller material. Especially in games where I'm running around with a gun not looking at any of it at all because I'm busy.

If you give me double the TFlops, I would much prefer it to go to animation, AI and increased polycount (For smoother round edges) than raytracing and resolution.

I personally think the most recent Call of Duty has gotten close here, at least with cutscenes

It looks like some of the best I've seen but even then it still looks so fake, like I'm watching simulacra pretending to be humans.

Nov 11, 2017
Man I could care less about games looking more realistic.

I've always been someone who couldn't care less about things being photorealistic. Most of the A/B's I see going around between normal rasterisation and ray tracing don't really look that amazing to me. Sure, they look "better", reflections might be where they weren't etc, but I don't consider that stuff system seller material. Especially in games where I'm running around with a gun not looking at any of it at all because I'm busy.

If you give me double the TFlops, I would much prefer it to go to animation, AI and increased polycount (For smoother round edges) than raytracing and resolution.
Yeah Devs have worked for years to essentially fake what raytracing outputs, so it really doesn't seem worth it. It's cool tech though.!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Max Settings for both

1080p DLSS 4k for Control.

Wow, with DLSS2.0, things must be even better IQ wise now.

Well that's the problem isn't it. We don't have anything. Last time , we already knew about a bunch of next gen games. I understand that COVID has fucked a lot of plans. But there must be enough developers who wanna start showing their games.

Which is why I am posting slices actual gameplay, and gameplay alone to show where we're right fidelity and animation wise on games based on 7 y/o HW, ensuring that design precepts have remained constant. Heck, I am also throwing in a few last gen clips alongside current gen clips from a franchise to put into perspective what new hardware means and how mid-gen refreshes don't change the narrative because tech work for development is still beholden to the limits of OG hardware for the generation.

Case in point:

Here is DEHR running on Xbox One X, with better framerate than OG 360 and upscaled to 4K:

Here's DEMD running on OG PS4 at 1080pee:

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
It's also worth considering that outside of the PS4 GDDR5, last gen was incredibly conservative on the technical front due to the doubt surrounding the console gaming market on the tail end of the PSWii60 gen. It's absolutely staggering that devs have achieved what they have.

This gen, we have much more pokey hardware along with far greater balance across the components. The biggest bottleneck devs may face in the long run is RAM bandwidth being 10-25% short of ideal. Outside of that and compared to mechanical HDDs, 1.2-1.8TF GCN GPUs and underclocked notebook-grade CPUs; it's all gravy..

I recall 18-24mths ago the bulk of people were expecting Navi to be an extension of GCN and to be 8-10TF; instead we not only got the RDNA, but RDNA2. We also got 10-12TF. A lot of people (including myself) were expecting HDDs with Solid State scratch disk or at the very best, bog standard SSDs....Instead we got NVMe drives ranging from ~2.4-9GB/s with decompression blocks and optimised I/O for better utilisation. Very few people expected RT, but we got the full hardware solution. Predictions on the CPU were generally Zen+ sat between 2.5-3.2GHz and many didn't even expect SMT, but we landed at 3.5-3.6GHz with 8C/16T on Zen2.

I think 90% of people have had their expectations blown out of the water and of those who expected 14-15TF on a GCN platform, when you get down to the GCN-RDNA2 equivalents (sorry!), they've effectively gotten their wish in real world gaming performance.

This is not a conservative gen like last gen, it's each platform having a set of priorities and a price point and truly wringing every drop out of their respective systems.

These are dream machines. And while we won't get current CGI levels, I would not underestimate the ability of devs to play to these system's strengths and the ingenuity, trickery and subsequent results that can come about.

Outside of the Hellblade 2 trailer, we have not seen a single example of a truly next-gen game in action. We really have nothing to go on and I think people will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
It's also worth considering that outside of the PS4 GDDR5, last gen was incredibly conservative on the technical front due to the doubt surrounding the console gaming market on the tail end of the PSWii60 gen. It's absolutely staggering that devs have achieved what they have.

This gen, we have much more pokey hardware along with far greater balance across the components. The biggest bottleneck devs may face in the long run is RAM bandwidth being 10-25% short of ideal. Outside of that and compared to mechanical HDDs, 1.2-1.8TF GCN GPUs and underclocked notebook-grade CPUs; it's all gravy..

I recall 18-24mths ago the bulk of people were expecting Navi to be an extension of GCN and to be 8-10TF; instead we not only got the RDNA, but RDNA2. We also got 10-12TF. A lot of people (including myself) were expecting HDDs with Solid State scratch disk or at the very best, bog standard SSDs....Instead we got NVMe drives ranging from ~2.4-9GB/s with decompression blocks and optimised I/O for better utilisation. Very few people expected RT, but we got the full hardware solution.

I think 90% of people have had their expectations blown out of the water and of those who expected 14-15TF on a GCN platform, when you get down to the GCN-RDNA2 equivalents (sorry!), they've effectively gotten their wish in real world gaming performance.

This is not a conservative gen like last gen, it's each platform having a set of priorities and a price point and truly wringing every drop out of their respective systems.

These are dream machines. And while we won't get current CGI levels, I would not underestimate the ability of devs to play to these system's strengths and the ingenuity, trickery and subsequent results that can come about.
I agree. RDNA2 Performance is up to 50% more efficient.

Jan 21, 2019

I recall 18-24mths ago the bulk of people were expecting Navi to be an extension of GCN and to be 8-10TF; instead we not only got the RDNA, but RDNA2. We also got 10-12TF. A lot of people (including myself) were expecting HDDs with Solid State scratch disk or at the very best, bog standard SSDs....Instead we got NVMe drives ranging from ~2.4-9GB/s with decompression blocks and optimised I/O for better utilisation. Very few people expected RT, but we got the full hardware solution. Predictions on the CPU were generally Zen+ sat between 2.5-3.2GHz and many didn't even expect SMT, but we landed at 3.5-3.6GHz with 8C/16T on Zen2.

Outside of the Hellblade 2 trailer, we have not seen a single example of a truly next-gen game in action. We really have nothing to go on and I think people will be pleasantly surprised.
Amen. Couldn't agree more. These systems are beyond anything anyone expected. First they said no way SSD, then they said no way that the architecture is much different from GCN, then it was no way it's beyond 8-9tf, then it was no way hardware raytraced. We even got stuff we didn't ask for like awesome audio. The fact that people aren't unanimously singing and dancing left and right in eagerness for these consoles to release is a damn insult to the people working years to make these consoles happen.

Next gen is literally beyond our wildest dreams.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
People on this forum expected a 1070 level GPU(insanity). Instead we have at the minimum, 2080 super level GPU.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

Well put, I'm so god damn excited for this next gen. More so than I was the last time.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought that this pre-rendered TV-Spot for God of War might be a nice target for the next God of War on PS5. I am not expecting the same detail in bursting wood or cut of hair of course. But somewhere around the overall level of detail:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Generational gap reminders:

Fallout New Vegas on PS3 (hard to find worthwhile footage of this game running on consoles):

Fallout 4 on PS4 OG:

Even BetaShed's work had seen a notable jump in fidelity by way of using newer rendering methods.

This is a great post which reminds me even how I lost perspective to a moving goalpost. I still remember the OG target for next PS and XB was for them to beat Stadia's specs (single blade)- 2.7GHz CPU (most likely of Ryzen family w/ unknown no. of cores and threads), 10.7TF latest spec GCN w/56 CUs (likely a modified version of Vega 56 from performance sheet), 16GB HBM2@484GB/s and unknown variant of SSD storage. Aside from the RAM's bandwidth, even the less powerful of the two consoles, PS5, beats a single Stadia very handily.

Last year, I wondered what kind of designs can be envisioned on a single Stadia blade alone, an utter monster of a machine compared to base XB1 and PS4. Of course, that dream has not been realized yet but in the meantime, MS comes strutting out with their XSX and all of a sudden I suffer from recency bias.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Generational gap reminders:

Fallout New Vegas on PS3 (hard to find worthwhile footage of this game running on consoles):

Fallout 4 on PS4 OG:

Even BetaShed's work had seen a notable jump in fidelity by way of using newer rendering methods.

This is a great post which reminds me even how I lost perspective to a moving goalpost. I still remember the OG target for next PS and XB was for them to beat Stadia's specs (single blade)- 2.7GHz CPU (most likely of Ryzen family w/ unknown no. of cores and threads), 10.7TF latest spec GCN w/56 CUs (likely a modified version of Vega 56 from performance sheet), 16GB HBM2@484GB/s and unknown variant of SSD storage. Aside from the RAM's bandwidth, even the less powerful of the two consoles, PS5, beats a single Stadia very handily.

Last year, I wondered what kind of designs can be envisioned on a single Stadia blade alone, an utter monster of a machine compared to base XB1 and PS4. Of course, that dream has not been realized yet but in the meantime, MS comes strutting out with their XSX and all of a sudden I suffer from recency bias.

Stadia use an Intel CPU

www.eurogamer.net

Stadia tech review: the best game streaming yet, but far from ready

Can Stadia tech out-muscle Xbox One X? How good is the streaming quality and what about the lag?

Stadia uses a 2.7GHz Intel CPU (not confirmed, but we suspect eight cores and 16 threads)

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I expect 1st parties to get close to those graphics on ps5. Obviously story driven games not open world bombastic action titles. The fidelity will not be 100% the same across every nook and cranny but characters should have similar level of detail at one point. Maybe towards the end of next generation. PART3 and GOW 5 are gonna look bonkers. :)

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
I think people who think Hellblade 2 is going to look anywhere close to the reveal are going to be disappointed. Yes, it was in-engine, but was entirely built for that specific trailer.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Shouldn't the jump from the xbox one og 1.31tf to the xbox one x 6tf be a bigger jump than what we're getting next gen?

All i saw was an increased resolution and a "targeted" 60fps between those two consoles.

And lets not forget developers who produce games on PC are gonna need to keep in mind the minimum specs which I believe will be the 1060 6gb.

And this is without bring ray tracing into the equation.

leon9506

Aug 31, 2018
I think people who think Hellblade 2 is going to look anywhere close to the reveal are going to be disappointed. Yes, it was in-engine, but was entirely built for that specific trailer.
Go watch the first hellblade in engine trailer and compare the final game, I don't think hellblade 2 is gonna be much different

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
Shouldn't the jump from the xbox one og 1.31tf to the xbox one x 6tf be a bigger jump than what we're getting next gen?

All i saw was an increased resolution and a "targeted" 60fps between those two consoles.

And lets not forget developers who produce games on PC are gonna need to keep in mind the minimum specs which I believe will be the 1060 6gb.

And this is without bring ray tracing into the equation.
Games weren't developed for the One X, they where upgraded on it. If devs aimed at 6 TFLOPS games would look waaaaayyy better.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
TBH, games like Resident Evil 3 already look perfect to me and don't really need much more.

The only thing I would like is better facial animations.