• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mindtaker

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
DMC 5, about skin shading and muscles, just look at the nose and how the skin is wrinkling :
49786108291_98db837f41_o.png

49786110176_9c7eabdc40_o.png

Edit : Of course, still gameplay feat photomode.

Remind me of this

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
Which aspects specifically?

I actually think Crysis 3 has awful art direction. But at the time of release, no game could compare graphically. And there are few games which stand head and shoulders above it.

I would challenge you to give me a list of games which look a generation ahead.
CODMW looks way better in art direction and tech.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Currently playing through FF7R and i'm most excited for the end of the narrow linear crawl loading technique.

You can really start to see the constraints and weird level design

Really promising that these things will be gone next gen

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Next gen should be able to get Kingsglaive like visuals running at least on 1080p 30 fps.

one word.. nope.

I see a lot of dramatic overestimation what you all think next gen consoles will give you.
now for a 1080p 30 fps cutscene where you are not dealing with gamecode running int he background, you might see a glimpse of it

They are beefy consoles for sure, but are obviously still not matching high end PC that run 600/1000 dollar graphics cards. Now there goes a lot of forward thinking in console design but in the end the constraint is power input and hardware budget.

Last edited:

Deleted member 65994

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 14, 2020
The division looks fine on console when everything has loaded in. But the divsion 1 had big input lag on console and the division 2 had big texture streaming issues.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
My hope is that next gen exploit the full potential of megascan's photo realistic assets

I mean look at this, insane stuff.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Look at the environments! I'm sure next gen will top that :)
IDK, keep in mind that's not even running a full 1080p. It's also a very corridored game and 30fps.

Add some more environmental interaction, more CPUs, open the environment up to much larger spaces, bump it to 4K 60fps and add some Ray tracing and I think that's about what we should expect.

Obviously there will be some games that are more corridored, don't run at 60fps, don't run at full 4k, and/or really make use of the hardware. Of course those will look better in stills and gifs. However I wouldn't expect all games to be like that.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
Seriously. Seems to happen every generation.

It took a high-end production graphics capable card to render just one character model in a room 3 years ago. While technology moves fast, it doesn't move that fast and that's not factoring in the needs of what a game needs. Of which, the Hellblade trailer does not represent the final gameplay look of a shipping game.

Art direction wise, you may get similar looks depending on the type of game (Realistic, cartoony, etc.), but the differences will still be clear between offline CG and rendered in-engine (RiE). Final gameplay that's similar to CG and RiE will not be attainable for next-generation consoles.
You are correct. I already know this. I mean similar results with VRS, DLSS, Tech Trickery, Photogrammetry, Mesh Shaders and SSDs transfer speed.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Talking of animation during current gen, context sensitive blending had seen great strides in certain games:

Scale no.Visuals yes.

I'd would reckon that with limited usage of RT features, image reconstruction and higher resolution PBR textures, we may expect realtime gameplay to owe its likely verisimilitude to offline render in motion.

If we can get that kind of lighting precision (and Sub surface scattering) during actual real time gameplay next gen, that'll be the true victory.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean anything close would be an astounding achievement.

My least favorite thing is revisionist history.
😠

Fair doos. When ever I see you post lately you're always bad mouthing game graphics by comparing them to CGI though.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that videogames cannot match (in micro detail) a video which has been rendered over thousands of hours vs creating an interactive medium where you have to render a new frame every 16 or 33 ms whilst also building massive interactive world's outside of those frames with hundreds of thousands of work hours put into them.

It seems gross the way you at times play off videogame visuals like they're trash... Considering the constraints of real time rendering and the near seven year old hardware, games get very close at a glance which is incredible.

Because of the above videogames are much, much more impressive than CGI movies to me.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
In-game Drake

Any word on how their engine is for console development? I can't remember any games this gen (on consoles) where I recall seeing Unigine.

I am expecting that level of fidelity for real time, "in-engine" cinematics for most AAA games this gen. But, we do NOT play cutscenes. As such, while they are a great tool to see what the systems can do when every last bit of performance can be directed, bereft of having to make any compromise with regards to overhead, they are seldom, if ever, representative of actual gameplay visuals.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
ResetEraVetVIP : What is your performance target for Control and SC? And correspondingly, what kind of visual settings do you generally use?

Those are rather really nice SC screenshots. Most importantly, they're in-game.

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An example upgraded Decima Engine at play on a system that'll be trounced in every way in 2021

Everytime I see that gif I want to jump off and glide haha.

I predict when we see Horizon 2 people will affectionately call it Horizon of the Wild because it will basically take all the best bits from BotW like the HUUUUGE World, the wonder of exploration, the climbing, the cooking of food for buffs and elixers and maybe even a glider (but more likely a flying mount) and combine it with the phenomenal bow combat, cinematic story telling, great story quests and jaw dropping visuals of Horizon Zero Dawn.

A combination of Zero Dawn and BotW would be very close to the perfect AAA open World game imo.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
anime games will look

even more anime

Indeed. When talking about how much better graphics will look in an upcoming generation everyone mostly focuses on how much more realistic they will be able to look, but it's also the more stylized art styles that will shine even more, for example anime-inspired games.

A game I stylistically love is Genshin Impact. It does already look real lovely and charming:

real time cutscene:

ezgif.com-gif-maker-1684f83d95a6249749.gif

ezgif.com-gif-maker-2084c8d138b429cc3f.gif

It does however also show limitations and that it is made for the current gen and even weaker platforms. Imagine this being made especially with the PS5 in mind. The character models could look so rounded and polished like real hand drawn anime characters, the painterly environment textures would shine even more in crisp resolutions, the LOD of the open world could be pushed even farther out, more NPCs and none of them just popping into view...
This could look like a real anime, even better even, on PS5.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18161

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wdym? Clearly after a generation where we completely failed to match the quality of offline rendering due to hardware, budget, and manpower limitations next gen that will change suddenly. Just watch this:

*insert in engine benchmark video where there's no game code running here*

Compare Uncharted to Uncharted 4 or The Last of Us to TLOU Part II for later gen games. The generational leap is absolutely enormous. There will be another enormous generational leap in six months time.

I have no idea why some people are so obsessed with playing down the console generational leap every time it happens it makes those same people look silly.

No sane person expects the micro details of top of the line offline rendering on a $500 console but developers can use so many tricks to get within touching distance.

Ultimately it's subjective, as all art is.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This guy was hired by CDPR. Cyberpunk 2077 gonna be off the charts.

Were they really hired by CDPR?
Congrats to the them thats so cool.
Any word on how their engine is for console development? I can't remember any games this gen (on consoles) where I recall seeing Unigine.

On consoles nothing was released using the Unigine engine.
Im pretty sure Unigine 3 is the first time they are even trying to get this engine mass market.
Maybe the engine getting cheaper will let more devs atleast attempt to get it on console nextgen.

From what it can do on PC im sure it will push nextgen machines.

Im trying to give it the time of day hopefully I can get something impressive out by the anniversary of it going community

The procedural animation caught me by surprise and had me cackling.
instackk67.gif

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Fair doos. When ever I see you post lately you're always bad mouthing game graphics by comparing them to CGI though.
I do not say that video games look bad. I often reiterate that games are gorgeous. What I DO say, is that there is a huge difference between realtime rendering and offline rendering. And explain the specific reasons why. When you stare at CG just as long as a video game, the differences are very very obvious. And this thread's premise is that we're getting top of the line offline rendered quality when we just got PBR this gen.

These aren't realtime. Ryse's cinematics are FMVs made with cry engine. Like the cinematics in Dice's games.

I agree with this. I don't expect that perfection level. image quality etc. But similar results sure....
What I find interesting is that they replaced nyx's strands of hair with video game hair. We really aren't moving past video game hair for awhile.

Last edited:

USIGSJ

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, not expecting games to look anything like this (maybe cutscenes for next gen games from studios like Naughty Dog and such), but posting because it does look amazing for realtime. Rendered in UE4.

lukas-hajka-highresscreenshot00001.jpg

Last edited: