• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I could honestly the fire effects in Horizon 2 matching Deep Down.
THTmwjv.gif
Realtime fluid sims are going to be a thing in next gen for sure. There's allready some great stuff being supported by UE4 at the moment.

By the way, I did watch this Deep Down trailer some days ago and man it's really not impressive at all anymore. Good job, this generation, you surpassed it easily. Especially in the image quality, everything in that trailer is full of artifacts and jittering. Compare that to a Doom Eternal on the PS4, such a clean image.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We're talking about the technical side of things. It's objectively worse than most current AAA games.
If you like the artstyle and the look of environments, feel free to like it.
Which aspects specifically?

I actually think Crysis 3 has awful art direction. But at the time of release, no game could compare graphically. And there are few games which stand head and shoulders above it.

I would challenge you to give me a list of games which look a generation ahead.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Launch next-gen games will probably not use Geometry engine/Mesh shader but Sony does not have the same cross-gen policy than MS.
This is true but even in this case we're likely a couple of years away from full usage of them, as you've said yourself. And Sony exclusive games are a drop in an ocean.

For a PS5 specific title l expect a generational jump there will be nothing mild about it.
Temper your expectations.

Except I never talked about cross-gen games?
Except you've replied to my post where I did.

Reading is apparently hard.
For you with no doubt.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Lol. There are only a handful of games currently out which look better than Crysis 3.
You must have the worlds biggest hands

Of course its worse, but not generation worse. There is tech there thats actually not utilized by many modern games even like real time Caustics, penumbra shadows, advanced particle physics or area lights.
Except for advanced tessellation (it has some though), TAA, GPU accelerated particles, and having full PBR materials, it actually has almost the same tech feature set as other games.

It's kind of disingenuous to list area lights.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
This is true but even in this case we're likely a couple of years away from full usage of them, as you've said yourself. And Sony exclusive games are a drop in an ocean.

Temper your expectations.

For you with no doubt.

I prefer trust devs and when they say if the budget and tools follow the gap will be huge. I believe them.

Photogrammetry

twitter.com

Andrew Maximov on Twitter

“@Spreewaldgurk10 @PlayStation If you have unlimited money you could do it on a PS4 :) All depends on what you do. If it's a bunch of scanned rocks we could do this this is 2 years ago: https://t.co/rshcVTT0ta”

And the guy who did this demo on a 1080 Ti at 4k 60 fps said he works on a game with better graphics
twitter.com

art by rens on Twitter

“@MelroysBlog No, but I am working on a game that will have much better visuals than these videos. Release date will be somewhere during 2020.”

Last edited:

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of disingenuous to list area lights.
I dunno, many games still do not do them and they should ages ago. It should be a standard by now in high end games. Same goes for Penumbra Shadows.
Oh i also forgot about Bokeh shadows from vegetation, which is also not that common and it should be.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
I prefer trust devs and when they say if the budget and tools follow the gap will be huge. I believe them.

twitter.com

“Now producing all of this content at this level of fidelity is an extremely complicated issue of it's own, but we are working on it :) @PlayStation - happy if this helps share the excitement. Keep it up!”

Photogrammetry
twitter.com

“@Spreewaldgurk10 @PlayStation Yes. But it's not really down to resolution. The reason those assets look so real is because they also capture some of the lighting. It would take more effort to make it look as good in a differently lit environment. Which makes this type of production still quite...

twitter.com

“@Spreewaldgurk10 @PlayStation If you have unlimited money you could do it on a PS4 :) All depends on what you do. If it's a bunch of scanned rocks we could do this this is 2 years ago: https://t.co/rshcVTT0ta”

And the guy who did this demo on a 1080 Ti at 4k 60 fps said he works on a game with better graphics
twitter.com

art by rens on Twitter

“@MelroysBlog No, but I am working on a game that will have much better visuals than these videos. Release date will be somewhere during 2020.”

last tweet guy said he is working on game that looks much better than that demo. Interesting indeed. Wonder what he is working on? any info on that?

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Yes, I replied to your post, with this-

Lol, where do these takes come from? Sony is already building next-gen exclusive games. And no, they won't look like current gen games. We get opinions like this every gen, and they're proven wrong every gen. Also, your comment about mesh shaders shows you understand very little about the terms you're throwing around.

I've bolded the relevant part for you as you seem to suffer from comprehension problems. Also, your first post didn't talk about cross-gen games at all-
Perceived graphics fidelity won't increase nearly in line with Tflops numbers. It will be a much more mild upgrade.

Currently available top of the line RT enhanced PC titles are likely very close to what we should expect out of next gen consoles, at least during the first couple of years of them being on the market.

Most devs on twitter working on AAA games have already excitedly tweeted that the graphical upgrade is going to be huge. So your entire point is just ill-informed speculation not rooted in any experience or knowledge.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I dunno, many games still do not do them and they should ages ago. It should be a standard by now in high end games. Same goes for Penumbra Shadows.
Oh i also forgot about Bokeh shadows from vegetation, which is also not that common and it should be.

Area lights are used so incredibly rarely in C3 is what i mean. Its also limited specifically to rectangle shape. Kind of like silhouette POM, its used on like 1 specific tree model. Listing them implies that the tech is used generally throughout the game, its not.

Edit - actually im trying to remember if area lights made it into the actual C3 game at all.

Last edited:

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Area lights are used so incredibly rarely in C3 is what i mean. Its also limited specifically to rectangle shape. Kind of like silhouette POM, its used on like 1 specific tree model. Listing them implies that the tech is used generally throughout the game, its not.

Edit - actually im trying to remember if area lights made it into the actual C3 game at all.
If thats the point then i agree. Its not used for all light sources, but specific ones. Which is a shame, but yeah, they were expensive, but still would be nice to have an option to activate them on all lights with some setting.
Regarding edit, it used and its not just a specific light, but there are quite many Area Light in the game. Like for example this hallway:
youtu.be

CRYSIS 3 Full Game Walkthrough - No Commentary (4K 60FPS)

Showcasing Cysis 3 Full Walkthrough Guide Played on PC at Max Setting and Recorded in 4K 60FPS.All Cryis Games Playlist - https://goo.gl/ren9dVConsider Hitti...

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If thats the point then i agree. Its not used for all light sources, but specific ones. Which is a shame, but yeah, they were expensive, but still would be nice to have an option to activate them on all lights with some setting.
Regarding edit, it used and its not just a specific light, but there are quite many Area Light in the game. Like for example this hallway:
youtu.be

CRYSIS 3 Full Game Walkthrough - No Commentary (4K 60FPS)

Showcasing Cysis 3 Full Walkthrough Guide Played on PC at Max Setting and Recorded in 4K 60FPS.All Cryis Games Playlist - https://goo.gl/ren9dVConsider Hitti...

Ya you found it. I was going thru walkthroughs on youtube myself and got tired of looking. Shadow Fall is a much more thorough use of area lights. IMO it was clearly superior to C3 and it was a launch title.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Ya you found it. I was going thru walkthroughs on youtube myself and got tired of looking. Shadow Fall is a much more thorough use of area lights. IMO it was clearly superior to C3 and it was a launch title.
Yeah KZ:SF lights were designed around being Area Lights, that was great, same goes for volumetrics, its also one games that actually focused on it.
And yes KZ:SF was superior in some aspects, but wasnt in others.
Original point was that Crysis 3 it holds as current gen title just fine technologically, not that it is superior.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
oh god. this thread is just making me think that games are gonna take waaayyyy longer to make next gen.
that's the elephant in the room. I think some studios will only develop one or two games next gen. Efficient and talented studios like Naughty Dog did Uncharted 1-3 + TLoU last gen and this gen Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy (small standalone game) and TloU2.

I think we won't see the quality of the OP examples, but the increase in graphics will still suprise people. Especially those thinking we get current gen titles with more NPC :P

Naughty Dog, Rockstar, SM, Coalition, Polyphony Digital & Playground Games to name a few will blow our minds.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I see that video and the fact it's UE4 and all I can do is think Days Gone 2 is going to be amazing!

And he said better than videos because he made another video, looking like better because rocks assets are easier to do make than transparent vegetation.

This one out of the water ide by the DOF is nearly perfect. Same 1080 Ti 4k 60 fps.

EDIT: This one all power of photogrammetry and high quality assets(geometry and mostly textures)

www.youtube.com

Art by Rens

Technical Art Director & Owner at Unannounced. Working on a single player exploration game, will be released somewhere during 2020. Worked for/with DICE, Epi...

He founded his studio with other people for an unannounced project and the studio is in stealth mode and they prepare an exploration game. He worked at DICE, Epic Games, Sony, Intel...

www.artbyrens.com

Art by Rens

Read his twitter comment somewhere he said the game will be released later probably 2021. The games run at 1080p on some slower GPUs than 1080Ti. He takes time because he is doing the photogrammetry himself no use of photogrammetry library.

I think he worked at ND probably how he knows Anthony Vaccaro(ND) and Andrew Maximov(ex ND).

EDIT:

twitter.com

art by rens on Twitter

“Milestone, 5 years of research and development is coming to an end. An incredible feeling knowing that all key elements are falling into place at their desired quality. I've spent so much time going in circles, deleting content year after year, re capturing it again and again..”

Here it is find where he said 2021
twitter.com

art by rens on Twitter

“@WeedyBongzales I intend to release in 2021 and wont slow down 😂”

Last edited:

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't even wait to see a next gen Souls game. Sekiro was a pretty good appetizer, Elden Ring would be glorious if it's targeting PS5

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
that's the elephant in the room. I think some studios will only develop one or two games next gen. Efficient and talented studios like Naughty Dog did Uncharted 1-3 + TLoU last gen and this gen Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy (small standalone game) and TloU2.

I think we won't see the quality of the OP examples, but the increase in graphics will still suprise people. Especially those thinking we get current gen titles with more NPC :P

Naughty Dog, Rockstar, SM, Coalition, Polyphony Digital & Playground Games to name a few will blow our minds.

I kinda feel this will make hardware like the eventual Switch 2 a more attractive proposition for developers to develop for. A part of this thinking is purely selfish cos I'd love to get more games on it. But maybe we can expect devs to go to Switch just because it means a more quicker turnout for development and more manageable.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Thank you GG for ringing the neck of PS4:

When do we expect the first next games to be shown? Before summer or not?

Hopefully by summer we'll get something from MS, given they're the ones who are doing that slow and steady info drip and they also do not have any first party big projects lined up for release in the next few months that their marketing of a cross-gen title, like Halo Infinite running on XSX, may adversely effect.

chris 1515 Wow, I haven't seen that guy's work in a while. Thanks for posting that.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

There are like a good few - 20 maybe in total.
Area lights in kzsf do not use pbr specular, as of Note.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Thank you GG for ringing the neck of PS4:

Hopefully by summer we'll get something from MS, given they're the ones who are doing that slow and steady info drip and they also do not have any first party big projects lined up for release in the next few months that their marketing of a cross-gen title, like Halo Infinite running on XSX, may adversely effect.

chris 1515 Wow, I haven't seen that guy's work in a while. Thanks for posting that.

Very impressive work.

Wow, I wasn't aware about Frozen WIlds being so beautiful ! Need to get this DLC, badly !

Frozen Wild DLC use photogrammetry probably some experience coming from working with Kojima after they work like BBC and alter the look in post-processing part like BBC documentaries do hyper-realism in post-production.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Advent children is old as hell people.
And in spite of that still runs circles around video games in a lot of areas.

yo uncharted 4 might still be the best looking game
Control and Metro Exodus would disagree. Hell if we're being honest, Uncharted 4 wasn't even the best looking game of 2016, it's the one that felt the most like a decent movie. Like, QB looked ridiculous.
30018595642_d1862a467mjjfg.jpg

30424872445_a8d62618636jd6.jpg

And they had to nerf the hell out of the image quality to get it to run. Remedy in general is underappreciated when it comes to realtime visuals despite being a studio made multiple titles that, at a first glance almost matches offline CG quality. Held back only by hardware and the limitations of realtime rendering.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
More 900MHz custom GCN 1.0, 1.6GHz 6 (or 7) core Jag (1 or 2 core reserved for OS), 8GB GDDR5 @ 176GB/s, 5400RPM Hitachi Travelstar Laptop HDD w/ 8MB cache, OG PS4 Lombax:

Jan 21, 2019
And he said better than videos because he made another video, looking like better because rocks assets are easier to do make than transparent vegetation.

This one out of the water ide by the DOF is nearly perfect. Same 1080 Ti 4k 60 fps.

EDIT: This one all power of photogrammetry and high quality assets(geometry and mostly textures)

www.youtube.com

Art by Rens

Technical Art Director & Owner at Unannounced. Working on a single player exploration game, will be released somewhere during 2020. Worked for/with DICE, Epi...

He founded his studio with other people for an unannounced project and the studio is in stealth mode and they prepare an exploration game. He worked at DICE, Epic Games, Sony, Intel...

www.artbyrens.com

Art by Rens

Read his twitter comment somewhere he said the game will be released later probably 2021. The games run at 1080p on some slower GPUs than 1080Ti. He takes time because he is doing the photogrammetry himself no use of photogrammetry library.

I think he worked at ND probably how he knows Anthony Vaccaro(ND) and Andrew Maximov(ex ND).

EDIT:

twitter.com

art by rens on Twitter

“Milestone, 5 years of research and development is coming to an end. An incredible feeling knowing that all key elements are falling into place at their desired quality. I've spent so much time going in circles, deleting content year after year, re capturing it again and again..”

Here it is find where he said 2021
twitter.com

art by rens on Twitter

“@WeedyBongzales I intend to release in 2021 and wont slow down 😂”

Chris, keep in mind that the framing gives these scenes a much more amazing look. As with everything, once the player interacts with it, it loses a lot of its sexiness (no cool angles, no DOF, no finely controlled macro shots). I downloaded the forest unity demo and played it at 4K and it's not even a third as impressive as in the videos, you find problems everywhere. I am a believe of CG-like visuals next gen, just shining some perspective

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
May seems likely for Series X event. Could see Sony doing an event, too.

Ok thanks! Can't wait! I never had a Xbox but I am really impatient to see what Microsoft are planning for nextgen.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And in spite of that still runs circles around video games in a lot of areas.

Control and Metro Exodus would disagree. Hell if we're being honest, Uncharted 4 wasn't even the best looking game of 2016, it's the one that felt the most like a decent movie. Like, QB looked ridiculous.
30018595642_d1862a467mjjfg.jpg

30424872445_a8d62618636jd6.jpg

And they had to nerf the hell out of the image quality to get it to run. Remedy in general is underappreciated when it comes to realtime visuals despite being a studio made multiple titles that, at a first glance almost matches offline CG quality. Held back only by hardware and the limitations of realtime rendering.

Playing Control right now, it is a beautiful looking game but I wouldn't say it is better looking than U4. Just completed Horizon Frozen Wilds though and that impressed a fair deal more than Control. The interiors in that game in terms of lighting, geometry and texturing are just incredible.

Also, Spider-man doesn't get mentioned enough. That can easily match anything suggested on here. Fantastic material work and lighting in that game, as well as the animation system. The presentation is also really high quality.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've just gotten around to watching the video in the OP and to be honest it doesn't really impress me at all for 2020 pre rendered visuals. The woman's face in screenshots looks phenomenal but when in motion looks way off. The guy is even worse imo. I did like the Spider like creature at the end though.

Sure technically pre rendered video is obviously much better looking than real time visuals for micro details such as physics simulations like hair, cloth etc but so much of both CGI and real time visuals are down to how talented the artists are and if that talent melds well with the chosen art direction.

I would honestly be let down with those visuals if it was coming from say one of the big Sony first party studios for a PS5 exclusive as they've shown with the likes of Spider-Man, Horizon, God of War and TLOU II that they and their teams can produce much more aesthetically pleasing looking games on near seven year old low end PC hardware in real time cutscenes.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I've just gotten around to watching the video in the OP and to be honest it doesn't really impress me at all for 2020 visuals. The woman's face in screenshots looks phenomenal but when in motion looks way off. The guy is even worse imo.

Sure technically pre rendered is obviously much better looking than real time visuals for micro details such as physics simulations like hair, cloth etc but so much of both CGI and real time visuals are down to how talented the artists are and if that talent melds well with the chosen art direction.

I would honestly be let down with those visuals if it was coming from say one of the big Sony first party studios for a PS5 exclusive as they've shown with the likes of Spider-Man, Horizon, God of War and TLOU II that they and their teams can produce much more aesthetically pleasing looking games on near seven year old low end PC hardware in real time cutscenes.

Keep your expectations in check... Don't compare to offline rendering. Try to use realtime demo.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
"nelsonroyale, post: 31658517, member: 20706"]
Playing Control right now, it is a beautiful looking game but I wouldn't say it is better looking than U4
Control absolutely looks better than UC4.

ust completed Horizon Frozen Wilds though and that impressed a fair deal more than Control. The interiors in that game in terms of lighting, geometry and texturing are just incredible.
Control with rtx on pc absolutely looks like a next gen game. Minus the budget for an hr and a half of fully animated cinematics.

I would honestly be let down with those visuals if it was coming from say one of the big Sony first party studios for a PS5 exclusive
😂

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Chris, keep in mind that the framing gives these scenes a much more amazing look. As with everything, once the player interacts with it, it loses a lot of its sexiness (no cool angles, no DOF, no finely controlled macro shots). I downloaded the forest unity demo and played it at 4K and it's not even a third as impressive as in the videos, you find problems everywhere. I am a believe of CG-like visuals next gen, just shining some perspective

For sure in a TPS but in an FPS at least the rock would look as good. I find some flaws in the vegetation video. The DOF is mostly used to hide the water probably not at the same level of quality.

Rjt0nzk.jpg

This is a wall in HZD. And this is some work on texture for HZD.

www.artstation.com

Stefan Groenewoud

Technical Artist @ Guerrilla Games

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Photogrammetry

twitter.com

twitter.com

art by rens on Twitter

Oh man budgets are going to be so fucked next gen if they try to fit all that detail in just because they can, REmake 4 is going to be like 2 hours long.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Remember the tree in Uncharted 3 (yes, THAT tree)? Those older tweets about SSD for PS5 by the ND artist make me think about that tree, but now every tree will be that tree

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Control absolutely looks better than UC4.

Control with rtx on pc absolutely looks like a next gen game. Minus the budget for an hr and a half of fully animated cinematics.

😂
Frozen Wilds looks a good more impressive to me than Control, particularly in terms of geometry of the environments...Lighting may be less dynamic compared to Control with raytracing enabled, but that doesn't make it less beautiful. The scale is obviously much bigger as well, even in Frozen Wilds. Control obviously is atristically incredible as well, and has some wild effects. Eh, at the end of the day, both games look fantastic.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
DIsagree on both points, and actual next gen games will quickly prove the latter point wrong.
If anything, QB is closer to the 1080/60fps trailer than Uncharted 4.

Tech people can certainly tell it's on a different level.
But most people will have absolutely no doubt that UC4 just "looks better".
I mean, not every aspect of QB looks better, UC absolutely had a bigger animation budget for example so you're constantly looking at a character with worse animation than Nathan Drake, on a pure rendering level though it's not contest. If QB got a rtx patch it would be the best looking game of the gen tbh. And also the most underappreciated.

Frozen Wilds looks a good more impressive to me than Control, particularly in terms of geometry of the environments...Lighting may be less dynamic compared to Control with raytracing enabled, but that doesn't make it less beautiful. The scale is obviously much bigger as well, even in Frozen Wilds. Control obviously is atristically incredible as well, and has some wild effects. Eh, at the end of the day, both games look fantastic.
Control being one of the best looking games of the gen due to tech that is only possible on pc/next gen=/=other really great looking games are not gorgeous. Like I still have this saved and unlike, 95% of the gifs ITT it's not one of a character in an super empty environment...:
lightingex5oa7t.gif

Last edited: