• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Do these jumps demand significantly more work for developer? I'll take "roughly the same as this gen at stable framerates and resolutions" if so.

Jun 17, 2018
dbiokcc-d10409ec-1770-461c-87b8-6eaa323d8071.gif

What's this from? It looks terrifying.

Jan 21, 2019
It kinda makes me sad that people have these crazy expectations for visuals... I mean, I get it, you want to be blown away by the hardware you're buying and all that, but this expectation is what makes developers focus on probably the wrong things. Look at The Order 1886 and stuff like that. I'd love to see new experiences and genres that we've never seen before, really innovative stuff. Wouldn't that be more exciting than seeing the actual pores in the skin of the characters?
Lol. This from a guy making one of the most stunning games of all time.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Lol. This from a guy making one of the most stunning games of all time. How many pores will Ori 3 have.
I appreciate that compliment, I guess, but there's a big difference between making a game that looks great due to good art direction and having to spend 3-4 man months on every character asset in the game simply cause the expectations are this insane now. If the new bar is for games to reach Avatar-style graphics in realtime now, that's just a crazy bar to reach for any developer. Engines and Tech gets better and makes it easier to deliver nice results, but there's an utterly crazy amount of work involved to actually get your entire game to this level and once that's the bar that has to be reached in order for people to accept that 'this game has good graphics', much less time will be spent on the stuff that's not just a skin on top of it all.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Your gonna be shocked when you see next gens visuals. It's gonna be a generational leap close to my original post. FF7R looks CGI except for the bad textures, the skin shading, and overall lighting quality, complexity of the geometry, the hair clearly not made out of actual strands, and the quality of post processing
FTFY.

What's this from? It looks terrifying.
Medal of Honor: Warfighter. That's not even the scariest thing from the game.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
It kinda makes me sad that people have these crazy expectations for visuals... I mean, I get it, you want to be blown away by the hardware you're buying and all that, but this expectation is what makes developers focus on probably the wrong things. Look at The Order 1886 and stuff like that. I'd love to see new experiences and genres that we've never seen before, really innovative stuff. Wouldn't that be more exciting than seeing the actual pores in the skin of the characters?

But people play games for different reasons. There are people who gravitate towards realism over what others consider to be more fun.

Jan 21, 2019
I appreciate that compliment, I guess, but there's a big difference between making a game that looks great due to good art direction and having to spend 3-4 man months on every character asset in the game simply cause the expectations are this insane now. If the new bar is for games to reach Avatar-style graphics in realtime now, that's just a crazy bar to reach for any developer. Engines and Tech gets better and makes it easier to deliver nice results, but there's an utterly crazy amount of work involved to actually get your entire game to this level and once that's the bar that has to be reached in order for people to accept that 'this game has good graphics', much less time will be spent on the stuff that's not just a skin on top of it all.
I was joking, naturally, and I appreciate the honest response. I share your sentiment. I actually hope that the power of next gen and the newfound ease of development is used for a bajillion different art styles. I am definitely not expecting everyone to make CG like visuals. There are certain devs that I expect a big jump from, like Guerrilla Games, but I also love stuff like Kentucky Route Zero, Dark Dreams Don't Die or Ni No Kuni 2 and I wanna know how these will be impacted by the new baseline.

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
I really hope for advanced physics, please give us massive and real destruction. Its so much fun with it.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Comparing directly to the base consoles is a bad idea. Games will be made with 1440-2160p rendering in mind, not 720-1080p. And they certainly won't be capable of using every single tech from the tech demos you guys are posting simultaneously - or getting IQ that's any better than what the Pro consoles already offer.

First of all, the pics in the OP all look terrible. The work to achieve this level of fidelity would be way too costly, let alone that it's doing things that aren't feasible for realtime in a game. An engine is a lot more complex than just rendering visual elements.

All of these shots required a render farm and you expect them to reach this level of fidelity, or for any studio to even be afforded the budget required, on a single platform? This short was made by teams taking FULL advantage of what's possible with offline rendering.

At first I was annoyed at people undershooting what this gen might look like, but the people ridiculously overshooting it are way worse because many of them will complain how disappointing the consoles turned out to be...

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
I was joking, naturally, and I appreciate the honest response. I share your sentiment. I actually hope that the power of next gen and the newfound ease of development is used for a bajillion different art styles. I am definitely not expecting everyone to make CG like visuals. There are certain devs that I expect a big jump from, like Guerrilla Games, but I also love stuff like Kentucky Route Zero, Dark Dreams Don't Die or Ni No Kuni 2 and I wanna know how these will be impacted by the new baseline.
This post I agree with here. Not all games have to be "CGI Qu@ilTy Gr@pHiCs L0L" but I expect close to my OP for some games, the power is here imo.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
All I wish for are small to no loading times. Currently playing Control, and while it certainly doesn't have the worst loading times dying in this game kills me inside, each time I have to sit through the loading screen lol.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Your gonna be shocked when you see next gens visuals. It's gonna be a generational leap close to my original post. FF7R looks CGI except for the bad textures.

What are you basing this on?

For what it's worth, I work in CG and have a few people on my team pushing the limits of real time within controlled scenes on 2x 2080ti's. I dont think it's going to take me by surprise.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Comparing directly to the base consoles is a bad idea. Games will be made with 1440-2160p rendering in mind, not 720-1080p. And they certainly won't be capable of using every single tech from the tech demos you guys are posting simultaneously - or getting IQ that's any better than what the Pro consoles already offer.

At first I was annoyed at people undershooting what this gen might look like, but the people ridiculously overshooting it are way worse because many of them will complain how disappointing the consoles turned out to be...
I think people often misunderstand the point of tech demos in general or fail to acknowledge what's actually happening. Tech demos are usually an incredibly isolated case that tooks tons of work to get working. And don't represent games or even what game development is like. So yea, it's nice that we can get a single character to be rendered as realistically as possible with strands of hair. That doesn't mean every game made with that tech/tool base is gonna look like that. Speaking of hair, we have YEARS worth of tech demos about characters with actual strands of hair being rendered in real time. And yet every game released today still defaults to the older method. And that occurs quite often with a lot of tech demos. It's the same reason why an in-engine trailer made early in development with every asset turned up to 11 might not be representative of the final game.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Nothing in that Hellblade gif can't be achieved in current gen.

Lots of games use higher quality faces for closeup cutscenes and revert back to 'gameplay' faces.

Yeah, A big difference in next gen is going to be retaining those high res assets across other scenes.

The art team on games already works to a higher standard than any game ships with - then in the final stages they optimize down. we wont see new assets or a total change of the way things are done, we will see less heavy handed optimization. That alone will feel like a generational leap with many games.
Add some extra light sources/shadows, better reflections, cleaner IQ, proper 3d audio - the whole package is going to be pretty tidy and will feel uncompromised without a crazy increase in manpower from what they're putting in now.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019

For what it's worth, I work in CG and have a few people on my team pushing the limits of real time within controlled scenes on 2x 2080ti's. I dont think it's going to take me by surprise.
I'm estimating because of the fact that 1.8 TFLOPS did this. (yes i know captured on Playstation Pro)

p85GJwj.jpg

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018

I also am a CG artist (running Titans) and deal with near photo-real looking characters daily. That said, I'm expecting to be impressed with what next gen brings, even if I know I won't quite get what I can achieve outside of games on my rig...

ddn8md9-c1aa98ad-d390-41b2-9b52-f0c988200324.png

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Yeah, the games with RTX (and those of us able to take full advantage) really show what kind of leaps we could be getting from consoles next gen...

asTjT2VX_o.png

UlCtvWG5_o.png

XYykt95U_o.png

DirtySprite3

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
By the end of the gen it'll feel like a true generational leap. I expect for the leap to be pretty noticeable from day one however. I think by mid gen there will be multiple games that comfortably surpass control graphically. The most demanding game of the previous gen is never a good baseline of what the consoles will ultimately deliver.

For example base Crysis 4 pc max still looks good but there's many games on consoles that look better imo, God of War blew me away. Don't really care what tricks they had to pull off to do so.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
By the end of the gen it'll feel like a true generational leap. I expect for the leap to be pretty noticeable from day one however. I think by mid gen there will be multiple games that comfortably surpass control graphically. The most demanding game of the previous gen is never a good baseline of what the consoles will ultimately deliver.

For example base Crysis 4 pc max still looks good but there's many games on consoles that look better imo, God of War blew me away. Don't really care what tricks they had to pull off to do so.

You mean Crysis 3? :P

And Control wasn't as demanding, at least to me, than Metro: Exodus. That game walloped my PC (a PC running multiple Titans, a 12-core/4.4GHz proc, and 64GB of DDR4). Either way, I expect the best of next gen to comfortably smack that as well!

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Here's a taste of what environmental fidelity be actually like:

Supposedly "in-engine" footage from an in-development project named, Project Awakening.
Nice. Yeah I think for games that are pushing photorealism we're gonna see stuff that actually does look photorealistic. Finally. We've been super close, sometimes games like RDR2 pretty much get there. The fidelity of assets, their complexity and crucially, ever improving lighting and physically based rendering seems like it will really show a leap this upcoming gen.

Also I've seen others dismissing it based on costs, but aren't world building tools really developing and growing quite rapidly. Stuff like machine learning being able to create complex cities and buildings with realistic layouts. 90% of the world can be generated and then artists go in and tweak it to perfection, rather than having to build everything out from scratch.

Vast libraries of assets and materials meaning a lot less grunt work up front. Won't all this help to reduce the cost and time element but still with incredible results?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Another taste, courtesy of same studio (Embark):

Photogrammetry + Ultra-turbo-uber-lazorz-streaming systems will yield some rather pleasing results.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

I wonder how close Halo Infinite will come to its trailers. I expect it to be pretty much this with downgrades, but I guess well see.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
idk, maybe for late next gen games, but this is a launch title. I dont expect the leap to be that huge at first. Maybe im wrong tho.

I don't really think that's huge, though. A step up, for certain, but go back and look at this gen's best games (use the above pics from myself and others as examples :P). That doesn't stomp them into the mud. I expect later next gen games to comfortably clear it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Nice. Yeah I think for games that are pushing photorealism we're gonna see stuff that actually does look photorealistic. Finally. We've been super close, sometimes games like RDR2 pretty much get there. The fidelity of assets, their complexity and crucially, ever improving lighting and physically based rendering seems like it will really show a leap this upcoming gen.

Also I've seen others dismissing it based on costs, but aren't world building tools really developing and growing quite rapidly. Stuff like machine learning being able to create complex cities and buildings with realistic layouts. 90% of the world can be generated and then artists go in and tweak it to perfection, rather than having to build everything out from scratch.

Vast libraries of assets and materials meaning a lot less grunt work up front. Won't all this help to reduce the cost and time element but still with incredible results?

Yep. Asset library for high resolution PBR assets grow by the day. The challenge generally lies with how and when to use what material especially for a purely hand crafted world. I am pretty sure veteran artists have their own tried, tested and true methods of creating worlds. The cost is, as you can imagine, is tied to, among other things, time spent.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think the devs needs to strike a balance.

GOW, uncharted and others striked that, i think. We have awesome set pieces, decent to great gameplay and stuff.
Also, love Ori, one of my favs this gen

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Another taste, courtesy of same studio (Embark):

Photogrammetry + Ultra-turbo-uber-lazorz-streaming systems will yield some rather pleasing results.
Now what is their game world actually filled with?

Building a game not just about building a landscape. Not every game is gonna be as barren as Death Stranding. Games are more likely to follow the 30 second rule.

Last edited:

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we get a Witcher 3 remaster next gen. All they have to do is un-downgrade it back to the way it was originally.
in-game-gif-13-14.gif

in-game-gif-13-14-3gif.gif

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This was recently revealed/confirmed to be PS5 footage, so this gives us a good idea of what games can look like early next gen:

Hopefully we get a Witcher 3 remaster next gen. All they have to do is un-downgrade it back to the way it was originally.

I don't think that is that easy.
It wasn't just a downgrade but an art style change. The final game doesn't go for that photo realism that the first gif shows anymore.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
People are delusional if they think there wont be a significant jump in visuals. Pc games at ultra settings and the corresponding performance is irrelevant.

Last edited: