• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
Honestly it's kinda been coming. Games jumped to the "standard" $60 at the start of the 360/PS3 gen. Following inflation, games should be $80 now. Devs have padded this with loot boxes, cosmetic DLCs, season passes, etc but I would frankly be surprised if new titles didn't jump to $70 for PS5/XSX. Hell, SNES games used to be $70 back in the late 80s.
Bingo.

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
What if you can make concessions to make the game look this good, without it actually looking this good. Like checkerboarding looking almost like 4K but being way cheaper. Maybe real time rendering is more about efficiency and speed that just letting render farms render them. These two disciplines are completely different.

Let's say the woman in this photo is from a real time cutscene on PS5. With the SSD and advanced culling solutions (there was a crazy microsoft tech demo on this), it's not impossible to have this level of detail when the camera is close to her since the PS5 will only have to bother rendering the face while lowering the resolution of background objects with VRS because its hidden behind a shallow DOF. As the camera backs off the geometry engine will lower the polygon count while being imperceptible to us. At the same time the SSD will hammer new objects into the scene that didn't need to be there 1 second ago. Other things like virtual texturing will make this transition even easier to achieve.
Makes total sense. Very feasible.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Tlou2 char models will finally be the standard quality.
Maybe not standard for all games but Naughty Dog, Ninja Theory, Rockstar, Sony Santa Monica, Coalition, CDPR and a some other AAA devs should all surpass TLOUp2 easily next gen.
I just hope they don't forget about the framerate. I don't want to see 30fps unless it's a slooow game.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually expecting the first couple of years to look a little more like the original Deep Down trailer but slightly better and with larger environments/character counts (it would be nice if we could get this quality in an open world game). At least for third parties.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We are going to achieve similar graphics to current gen cutscenes and that will be it - which I think is pretty good. The Uncharted 4 reveal trailer still stomps the hell out of any 'in game' scene.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
dbiokcc-d10409ec-1770-461c-87b8-6eaa323d8071.gif
Why

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely think Sony has given us a look into what to expect next generation with some of their pre-rendered TV commercials.

Edit: Maybe not the God of War one.

I think the God of War one is the best example. The other 2 look very close to current gen. Uncharted 4 looks almost exactly like the game we got and they're probably using in-game models with upgraded textures and lighting. Days Gone looks close enough.

God of War CG is the only one with a generational leap.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Considering how expectations changed, I don't think we're getting titles like Ryse or KZ SF at the launch of next gen. They were following very specific trends from the ps3/360 generation. Expect the next gen launch titles to do the same.

i meant literally shiny. reflections with raytacing will bring a bunch of shiny surfaces out the gate.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
With resources being wasted on native 4K and ray tracing I don't expect that much major graphical changes. More up ressed

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think the God of War one is the best example. The other 2 look very close to current gen. Uncharted 4 looks almost exactly like the game.
Lol no it doesn't, literally compare that ocean scene with the one in the game. ND couldn't even match their original trailer let alone a Digic Pictures commercial. And OP is this thread purely about cinematics?

i meant literally shiny. reflections with raytacing will bring a bunch of shiny surfaces out the gate.
I mean raytracing isn't just about reflections.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
1800p/60 should be the standard. 30 fps is completely unplayable for me. If they do make 30 fps games that are console exclusive, I'll just wait till it gets remastered the following gen.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
With resources being wasted on native 4K and ray tracing I don't expect that much major graphical changes. More up ressed

How is ray tracing a waste of resources? You expect ray tracing but you don't expect a major graphical change? Ray tracing is a major graphical change.

Ray tracing isn't just for reflections. Cyberpunk 2077 has ray tracing but doesn't have ray-traced reflections.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think the God of War one is the best example. The other 2 look very close to current gen. Uncharted 4 looks almost exactly like the game we got and they're probably using in-game models with upgraded textures and lighting. Days Gone looks close enough.

God of War CG is the only one with a generational leap.
I feel that games will take a lot more work to look as detailed as this video

Jan 21, 2019
How is ray tracing a waste of resources? You expect ray tracing but you don't expect a major graphical change? Ray tracing is a major graphical change.

Ray tracing isn't just for reflections. Cyberpunk 2077 has ray tracing but doesn't have ray-traced reflections.

No no no, all of this is too wasteful. Just like PBR this gen, can you imagine what games would look like if we stayed with baked everything like the PS360 era?
It's funny how stronger hardware shouldn't be used for new and taxing techniques to push visuals. Like, what?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
By that logic, we will never see a game on next gen consoles that looks better than Control does on highest settings since even the 2080ti a 1200$ card can't hit 60FPS at 1440p.

I expect that the next gen consoles wouldn't be able to do Control at 1080p 60fps at PC level RT, considering the lower target for RT hardware.

So yeah in some ways they won't even be able to do that.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I think what we can expect for the first few years is pretty much exactly what we've got now except no low res textures.

with ssd's, compression and no data duplication, ff7 could've been half the size with no low res textures and it would look miles better.

you wont get individual hairs, shit like that takes 48 hours to sim a few hundred frames. we'll get better AO and SS methods. We'll get a few more bounce lights with raytracing, better reflections. we'll get some extra particles. we'll also get a sharper overall image and cleaner AA.

Next gen will be about taking the single character headshot moments - uncharted 4's face down on the beach scene - and scaling that level of detail up across much larger scenes.

If you seriously think we're going to end up anywhere close to what unit image or blur can do offline then you're not paying enough attention to the details in their work.

Feb 8, 2018
I know it won't happen, but this is where I'm at too. They should stop chasing polygon numbers and focus on stuff like game world interactivity, improved AI, destructible environments, unique NPCs with their own routines, higher number of characters on screen, etc. More things which are going to actually affect gameplay rather than just adding more and more needless detail on screen. Honestly, if visuals stopped at Horizon, Uncharted: TLL or even Breath of the Wild and focus was put on stable 60fps and evolving game design in other ways I'd be more than satisfied.

Easy to understand your point even if I disagree but for example, a higher number of characters with bad/average animations won't be impressive either. I think devs should just focus on what's possible while offering a relatively big jump in graphics simultaneously because visual fidelity = Immersion. Then slowly raise the NPC number or something else that was more limited later in the generation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
I think what we can expect for the first few years is pretty much exactly what we've got now except no low res textures.

with ssd's, compression and no data duplication, ff7 could've been half the size with no low res textures and it would look miles better.

you wont get individual hairs, shit like that takes 48 hours to sim a few hundred frames. we'll get better AO and SS methods. We'll get a few more bounce lights with raytracing, better reflections. we'll get some extra particles. we'll also get a sharper overall image and cleaner AA.

Next gen will be about taking the single character headshot moments - uncharted 4's face down on the beach scene - and scaling that level of detail up across much larger scenes.

If you seriously think we're going to end up anywhere close to what unit image or blur can do offline then you're not paying enough attention to the details in their work.
Your gonna be shocked when you see next gens visuals. It's gonna be a generational leap close to my original post. FF7R looks CGI except for the bad textures.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018

I realised I worded it incorrectly. I meant 4K only was a waste of resources And was implying that raytracing will cost a lot with out necessarily saying it was a waste.

I'd rather see a huge leap in graphics say from resident evil1 to 5 than gpu giving me 4K over 1080p

Oct 27, 2017
I think graphics will have at least the same fidelity as that Deep Down tech demo we got at the PS4 reveal event. It looks great even today.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
It kinda makes me sad that people have these crazy expectations for visuals... I mean, I get it, you want to be blown away by the hardware you're buying and all that, but this expectation is what makes developers focus on probably the wrong things. Look at The Order 1886 and stuff like that. I'd love to see new experiences and genres that we've never seen before, really innovative stuff. Wouldn't that be more exciting than seeing the actual pores in the skin of the characters?

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
It kinda makes me sad that people have these crazy expectations for visuals... I mean, I get it, you want to be blown away by the hardware you're buying and all that, but this expectation is what makes developers focus on probably the wrong things. Look at The Order 1886 and stuff like that. I'd love to see new experiences and genres that we've never seen before, really innovative stuff. Wouldn't that be more exciting than seeing the actual pores in the skin of the characters?

Order 1886 was one of the best games this gen so I'd be glad to see more devs pump out stuff like that.