• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a comparison between Grandia 1 in an emulator and the HD collection.

It really is just the PS1 game emulated. It even has the title screen all bugged out running at 1FPS (yes, one) just like on the PS1. Compare with the Saturn version.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
It really is just the PS1 game emulated. It even has the title screen all bugged out running at 1FPS (yes, one) just like on the PS1. Compare with the Saturn version.

Even the sprites are the same. Saturn version has more sprite variation for the characters, depending on which direction they are facing

It's PS1 with a new filter on top of it that most would rather turn off. BUT, it's still Grandia.
To be fair, I think an unfiltered game would look really rough if you have a huge screen and played docked. If they added an unfiltered look, maybe adding some scanlines would help a lot.

Last edited:

Foot

Mar 10, 2019

Haha, yeah. They really shouldn't have bothered with that Saturn lie, it's really insulting.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure how your second sentence proves the first. We've known for months now that they used the PS1 version as the base for Grandia HD, however I don't see why that would confirm this to be an emulated version opposed to a port.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Not sure how your second sentence proves the first. We've known for months now that they used the PS1 version as the base for Grandia HD, however I don't see why that would confirm this to be an emulated version opposed to a port.
Because when you're porting there is no reason to slavishly recreate every single problem. "Let's put this incorrect texture here, slow down the frame rate here..."

If they were rebuilding the game to run on Switch, rather than building an emulator to run it on Switch, then there would be no reason for the ground in the first town to be how it is. They claimed they were incorporating aspects of both the PSX and Saturn versions, but didn't. Shoulda just been straight with us.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
It's very weird how older Feena looks in the little text portrait than in the official artwork, she looks like 17 or 18 instead of the 15 she is. Not sure why it's so different

Oct 25, 2017
That comparison to the PC version is super favorable, in my eyes. For upscaling/blurring, this is some pretty good quality work.

This game about 40 hours long? That's what HLTB says but I'm not sure how accurate it is with the older titles that existed before it did haha.

40 is about right. Some will go slower, because it is a Game Arts game where townspeople change what they say a LOT. I suspect experienced players will be on the low end, though. There's not a lot of backtracking in the game, so there's not a lot of room for super high variance.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well how diligent of them to accurately reproduce every mistake and bug from the PS1 port then.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I think an unfiltered game would look really rough if you have a huge screen and played docked. If they added an unfiltered look, maybe adding some scanlines would help a lot.

The saturn version with a trinitron-style shader looks fantastic on my telly

PjctpaK.png

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
i remember it being closer to 60-70 hours
That comparison to the PC version is super favorable, in my eyes. For upscaling/blurring, this is some pretty good quality work.

That comparison to the PC version is super favorable, in my eyes. For upscaling/blurring, this is some pretty

40 is about right. Some will go slower, because it is a Game Arts game where townspeople change what they say a LOT. I suspect experienced players will be on the low end, though. There's not a lot of backtracking in the game, so there's not a lot of room for super high variance.
???

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017

I was wondering what the hell was up with that title screen. I thought my game was in the process of locking up, haha.

I really would love to play this on my Saturn. Importing a copy is rather inexpensive (US sellers normally have it for around $15 on eBay) and I have an Action Replay cart. However, no English language option would kill it for me.

Jurec84

Oct 27, 2017
I think I encountered a bug in the Soldier's Graveyard (extra dungeon) - after getting four soldier's souls the platform with the last treasure never lowered ... has anyone encountered this?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering what the hell was up with that title screen. I thought my game was in the process of locking up, haha.

I really would love to play this on my Saturn. Importing a copy is rather inexpensive (US sellers normally have it for around $15 on eBay) and I have an Action Replay cart. However, no English language option would kill it for me.

If you have a decent pc, you can emulate it via mednafen and use the translation patch.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Because when you're porting there is no reason to slavishly recreate every single problem. "Let's put this incorrect texture here, slow down the frame rate here..."

If they were rebuilding the game to run on Switch, rather than building an emulator to run it on Switch, then there would be no reason for the ground in the first town to be how it is. They claimed they were incorporating aspects of both the PSX and Saturn versions, but didn't. Shoulda just been straight with us.

You are right, they should have been more clear with their actual workflow and intentions, which was to just have the PS1 version in higher res with texture filtering.

However, it was never a surprise, it was obvious from the first video that they didn't take anything from the Saturn version. It was pretty transparent since then.

Still, great game, looks good in hanheld mode. Moving on.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Started the game about a week ago (ps1 version) and havent had much time to play so I have only just finished the dom ruins today. Just how much should I try to grind up my magic levels? I'm enjoying the game, but every battle the first round is just using a magic with everyone to try to get some xp for it then finishing the fight. Its starting to make the battles feel a little bit like a chore due to having to wait for the animations each time.

MegamanFreak

Oct 27, 2017
Started the game about a week ago (ps1 version) and havent had much time to play so I have only just finished the dom ruins today. Just how much should I try to grind up my magic levels? I'm enjoying the game, but every battle the first round is just using a magic with everyone to try to get some xp for it then finishing the fight. Its starting to make the battles feel a little bit like a chore due to having to wait for the animations each time.

If you are doing that, you will be fine. Later on, you get skills that level up two magics and a weapon at once for most of the cast. Then using these, you can REALLY grind if you want.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Grandia is still 2nd place in total charts in Germany and 1st place digital only, wow... I wonder how many units got sold worldwide.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So is the music cutting out a known thing? I haven't been keeping up with the thread but the music in my game cuts out for a half second every now and then.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
So is the music cutting out a known thing? I haven't been keeping up with the thread but the music in my game cuts out for a half second every now and then.

Happens all the time. It's definitely been brought up in this thread so it's not just us 2! I hope this and graphical issues I have seen get fixed - it's sort of embarrassing lol. Justin's model being smooth in a cutscene, then the camera turns and he's a giant pixel mess. Happened 2 or 3 times on the ship in like a 30 minute period. Also, Feena's model had something really screwed up in cutscenes on the ship. Like there were lines running through her but the model didn't match up exactly.

Anyways, I love Grandia 1 but the only remaster of it in 20 years deserves better than what we have been handed here. I hope Grandia 2 doesn't have as many issues.....

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Lighten up a bit, it's hilarious.
Yeah probably. Since I played it at first on ps1 I'm familiar with it.
But I have a strong attachment to Grandia and not as a "hilarious" game.

It has its funny parts sure, very weird often, but it feels so alive with japanese voices (unfortunately mixed with a low volume vs musics) that I see no reason to stick with the poor experience.

Maybe the fact that I understand japanese well enough also plays a role.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Happens all the time. It's definitely been brought up in this thread so it's not just us 2! I hope this and graphical issues I have seen get fixed - it's sort of embarrassing lol. Justin's model being smooth in a cutscene, then the camera turns and he's a giant pixel mess. Happened 2 or 3 times on the ship in like a 30 minute period. Also, Feena's model had something really screwed up in cutscenes on the ship. Like there were lines running through her but the model didn't match up exactly.

Anyways, I love Grandia 1 but the only remaster of it in 20 years deserves better than what we have been handed here. I hope Grandia 2 doesn't have as many issues.....
Yes this does happen very frequently, it's more noticeable with headphones.
Thanks, it's very annoying and hopefully they patch it soon.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Just reached the
Tower of Doom. Never thought this game is so great. The scene when Sue left was really sad. Justin and Feena are a cool couple.

I had a bug where the music was missing and the voices on the Pirate Island. Some graphical bugs as well. Nothing serious though.

I have plenty to go right?
The Japenese voices are a great addition. I only heard the English voice acting in the beginning, was not a fan though.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
I love Grandia and am already near the end again.

But I really hate how whenever I use items, the voices are in English, despite me being on the Japanese vocal track.

Also now that I'm older
Col. Mullen
is a total manipulative creep. Fuck him. ;P

Nall

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Grandia ages ago, so this playthrough feels new and fresh to me. Not a fan of how the game looks, but I got over it pretty fast. It's just too good of a game to pass up.

Also, I find myself grinding a lot and I don't remember doing this on my first run years ago. It's not even necessary, but I spend so much time spamming spells to level them up. Whatever. I'm having fun doing it, even though it's pretty much pointless.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Just beat it. God I love Grandia. Stats posted below, about 30.5 hours and Levels 34-36

Good deal! Did you end up doing the optional dungeons?

I remember this game taking me a lot longer when I beat it years ago, but I always tend to take my sweet time and I love grinding and getting absurdly strong for no reason at all.

Between this, FF8, and MonHun: Iceborne it might take me another year to complete both of these again.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

I remember this game taking me a lot longer when I beat it years ago, but I always tend to take my sweet time and I love grinding and getting absurdly strong for no reason at all.

Between this, FF8, and MonHun: Iceborne it might take me another year to complete both of these again.

I also love grinding in this game especially levelling up the spells to unlock every skill and spell but I wish the bosses scaled up as they become too easy

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama

This time I didn't do the special dungeons, since I've got such a huge backlog I put on hold because Grandia! XD Still, the simple story of Grandia and the grand adventure has aged very well IMO, much better than Grandia II's story. I love G2 as well but Ryudo comes from that special era of JRPGs who were trying to mimic Cloud Strife on the surface level SO HARD, but completely missed the mark. He just comes across as "Ow, the Edge"

Justin is a bit overly optimistic, but a lot easier to root for.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
This time I didn't do the special dungeons, since I've got such a huge backlog I put on hold because Grandia! XD Still, the simple story of Grandia and the grand adventure has aged very well IMO, much better than Grandia II's story. I love G2 as well but Ryudo comes from that special era of JRPGs who were trying to mimic Cloud Strife on the surface level SO HARD, but completely missed the mark. He just comes across as "Ow, the Edge"

Justin is a bit overly optimistic, but a lot easier to root for.

Yeah I'm trying to beat Grandia before FF8R comes out in a few weeks, and i might skip the optional stuff this time around as well. I couldn't agree more about Grandia 2. As much as I love the game it never captured me as much as the first. G1 is really a magical adventure, and the only other PS1 RPG that gives me similar "feel good vibes" might be Lunar.

I might just try to blitz it out without all the grinding since I'm having so much fun going casually right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
Yeah I'm trying to beat Grandia before FF8R comes out in a few weeks, and i might skip the optional stuff this time around as well. I couldn't agree more about Grandia 2. As much as I love the game it never captured me as much as the first. G1 is really a magical adventure, and the only other PS1 RPG that gives me similar "feel good vibes" might be Lunar.

I might just try to blitz it out without all the grinding since I'm having so much fun going casually right now.

It really is a magical adventure as you say, made by the same lovely folks as them Lunar games. XD Honestly I've always harbored the suspicion that Grandia began it's life as a Lunar game in pre-production but then changed to its own IP either because of a decision to divest from previously established lore or because of some disagreements they were starting to have with Studio Alex around that time (I can't help but note that Toshiyuki Kubooka and Kei Shigema are both listed in the Special Thanks of G1 and some of the earlier drawings of the main playable cast certainly look like they could have been Kubooka's handiwork)

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's always why, as much as I liked G2 at the time, it (and none of the other sequels) really caught my attention as much as the original did. G2 is a really good example of a solid JRPG of its era. G1 goes for something different than normal, even if it still couches itself in a lot of the same tropes, and it comes out being much more magical for it.

Oct 25, 2017
It really is a magical adventure as you say, made by the same lovely folks as them Lunar games. XD Honestly I've always harbored the suspicion that Grandia began it's life as a Lunar game in pre-production but then changed to its own IP either because of a decision to divest from previously established lore or because of some disagreements they were starting to have with Studio Alex around that time (I can't help but note that Toshiyuki Kubooka and Kei Shigema are both listed in the Special Thanks of G1 and some of the earlier drawings of the main playable cast certainly look like they could have been Kubooka's handiwork)

That isn't really speculation. I thought interviews with Vic Ireland noted that gameplay ideas for a post-Studio Alex Lunar 3 became the core of the Grandia battle system?

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've leveled my magic fairly high and I just finished the
Tower of Doom
without any trouble. Does it make a huge difference if I skip out on the optional dungeons? Want to play Grandia 2 as well before the onslaught of games come. On that note, how much longer do I have left of Grandia? Really loving it so far.