• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Grandia 2 has a much better start than 1 I can say that much so far. I only ever finished grandia 2 so it's my favourite game so far, but that may change when I finish them both again

Oct 26, 2017
So, everyone playing grandia 1: is it basically the psx version uprezzed and with filtered sprites or are there noticeable additions from Saturn? Any technical problems making it better to wait for a patch and/or sale?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
If I've never played these before, is it recommended I play 1 before 2, or does it not matter? I have limited free time btw.

It doesn't matter a bit. Based on the originals games merits I think 1 is far superior to 2 (which is very good, but I consider 1 top top tier), but there are plenty of people who like 2 more.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If I've never played these before, is it recommended I play 1 before 2, or does it not matter? I have limited free time btw.

They're unconnected, story-wise. Majority opinion is that the story/characters/setting and general sense of world in 1 is better than 2. 2 has very nice improvements and tweaks to the already-great battle system that the series is known for. 2 is probably a bit shorter and easier than 1. So it depends which of those appeals to you more.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan

1 has a more charming world, but 2 has a refined battle system and is shorter.

IMO you should save the best for last and play 2 first. I loved 2 on release, but it didn't hold up to the first. Both RPGs are 9/10s so you really can't go wrong with either.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
1 has a more charming world, but 2 has a refined battle system and is shorter.

IMO you should save the best for last and play 2 first. I loved 2 on release, but it didn't hold up to the first. Both RPGs are 9/10s so you really can't go wrong with either.
Better graphics and improved systems always work better to play later imo. That way you appreciate the progression more

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
So, everyone playing grandia 1: is it basically the psx version uprezzed and with filtered sprites or are there noticeable additions from Saturn? Any technical problems making it better to wait for a patch and/or sale?

Its not even available for download here in Costa Rica yet, maybe I will need to wait till 11:59 pm of August 16.

It is known that they used the PS1 as a baseline. They devs mentioned that they looked at the Saturn to try and update things to better match it, but they did not base any of the code from the Saturn version.

You will need to wait a couple of days or weeks for more in-depth technical impressions

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is so lovely. Love the adventure feeling of Grandia 1 so much. Thank you so much for sharing this doodle of yours. <3
I hope I'm not too late to sing your praises for this. Wow.
lmao "doodle"

This would take me three years to draw

Fantastic work

Looks incredible. Easy to tell you love the series.

That's a "doodle"? Awesome drawing.

Thanks everyone 😭 I worked hard enough on it and plant to sit my butt down and play this friday night :P haha

I need to print this. Even if its low res, or do you have a higher res version?

I LOVE IT.

Yeah why not!

Oct 26, 2017
Its not even available for download here in Costa Rica yet, maybe I will need to wait till 11:59 pm of August 16.

It is known that they used the PS1 as a baseline. They devs mentioned that they looked at the Saturn to try and update things to better match it, but they did not base any of the code from the Saturn version.

You will need to wait a couple of days or weeks for more in-depth technical impressions

days or... weeks???

I think I'll just have to find other things to spend my time and money on in August... like getting laid.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I've put a bit of time into Grandia and... it's not bad. I'm not a fan of the filters—like nearly everyone else in the thread—but, at least on handheld, it looks better while playing and in motion than I was expecting, especially since I have access to the original on a CRT. Widescreen is a nice addition, and playing Grandia without slowdown is always good. I stopped an emulated playthrough via Retroarch when this was announced, and this... actually seems like a decent way to restart my playthrough on a handheld device.

That said, they really had a chance here to release a surefire definitive version of Grandia and fell far short of that (for mostly avoidable reasons.)

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
ugh I dont like that I cant buy them individually. I have zero interest in the first one. I only want the second one. 40$ for a 10+ year old game is making me not want to buy this.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero interest in playing Grandia 2 ever again so I won't be paying that much either. Maybe some country will have it for cheaper but so far it doesn't look like it

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Buying it to support the franchise and to send the message that more ports of classic JRPGs are always welcome on the system.

$20 a piece is definitely worth it anyway.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Buying because I loved Grandia 2, but never owned 1. By the way, I heard that Grandia 2 is widescreen? How does it handle those magic spells with FMV? Wouldn't those be in 4:3, or were they redone? Hopefully it isn't some cropped, widescreen method

Last edited:

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
What makes the Saturn version better anyway? From what I remember playing the PS1 version , I remember the game having a lot of transparency effects. Didn't those effects have checkered board patterns on the Saturn? Or does the game just run a lot smoother?

agc

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I already own Grandia 2 on PC when it got re-released originally, so I wish I could just buy Grandia 1 for my Switch instead of being forced to buy a bundle :(

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
What makes the Saturn version better anyway? From what I remember playing the PS1 version , I remember the game having a lot of transparency effects. Didn't those effects have checkered board patterns on the Saturn? Or does the game just run a lot smoother?

Saturn game had better textures, less slowdown, better water effects, more background effects, battle screens had better or more 3D models.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Enjoying it a lot. The game has so much character! I love the worldbuilding so much, Palm feels so alive. Only the Trails series has the same sort of homely worldbuilding feel. Justin just told a guy he has bad BO and Sue's uncle is secretly drinking "coffee" in her room. You don't get to spend much time in Palm but it's probably my favourite town.

The filter is kinda ugly but i don't mind it on the overworld sprites much--it's only really kinda ugly on the character portraits. The screen flashing black when enemies load in battle is going to drive me nuts though, i can tell.

Gonna do my usual challenge of getting the 'Zap!' spell earlier and earlier each playthrough.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying it a lot. The game has so much character! I love the worldbuilding so much, Palm feels so alive. Only the Trails series has the same sort of homely worldbuilding feel. Justin just told a guy he has bad BO and Sue's uncle is secretly drinking "coffee" in her room. You don't get to spend much time in Palm but it's probably my favourite town.

The filter is kinda ugly but i don't mind it on the overworld sprites much--it's only really kinda ugly on the character portraits. The screen flashing black when enemies load in battle is going to drive me nuts though, i can tell.

Gonna do my usual challenge of getting the 'Zap!' spell earlier and earlier each playthrough.
The way the PCs are active participants in conversations with NPCs is such a massively underappreciated element of Grandia (and the Lunar games.) It gives the characters and the world a rich depth that a lot of other JRPGs lack. Trails is a great comparison.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started Grandia 1 briefly to check it out. The filter is noticable but I don't think it's terrible. Looks great (playing handheld). Havent touched Grandia 2

Same here - had the Saturn version and played with a guide back on release
Got the ps1 version on PSP played some, put it on PSPgo and played probably most there 60 hours I think
Played on vita and vita tv a bit
Played a bit of switch version on handheld earlier once the download finished

Really liked the look of the graphics, the sprites, and much a many people prefer the black borders on the fmv I really liked what they did with the blur and the additional "shadow blurs" that for the most part they put a nice amount of effort into matching the video

Was very much a decent HD remaster on handheld so far, much improved frame rate than ps1 original etc, will report back later as play more how I feel it stands up under more scrutiny

Definitely gave me goosebumps again to see the the intro movies and opening on the switch screen

Wish they had put a bit more into keeping it closer to the Saturn version but there is only so much budget a development team gets for titles like this

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I'm waiting until it's a bit cheaper since I'm not interested in playing 2 again so soon but I was curious and checked that, yeah it would make me crazy as well.

There's definitely a few niggles they should fix, like that issue and the music loop hitch.

The way the PCs are active participants in conversations with NPCs is such a massively underappreciated element of Grandia (and the Lunar games.) It gives the characters and the world a rich depth that a lot of other JRPGs lack. Trails is a great comparison.

I really do need to check out the Lunar series sometime. Grandia is what i judge all other JRPGs against when it comes to party/NPC banter. It gets less as the game goes on but there's still so many good interactions. It doesn't seem like many other series are willing to put the effort into this sort of thing, sadly.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
It's passable in handheld, or great if you don't mind the filtered sprites/textures. It's... not good docked.

Well, hopefully it's not that bad docked, because that's how I plan on playing it. Want to play it on my large screen TV.

Downloading now. Long download. 42 mins, about 30 mins left.

There's definitely a few niggles they should fix, like that issue and the music loop hitch.

Wait, there's a music loop issue here, as well?

Just with their connection with Game Arts, Square Enix's paws reach through.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I read that the battle backgrounds were much sharper on the Saturn version, leading some to think that the Saturn version had 3d backgrounds. I don't think the 3d part was accurate though, but I've never seen the Saturn version before.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the my only gripe with the remaster so far. With some tracks, it's extremely noticeable. I played through the game a dozen times on PS1, but I don't remember this problem at all. I hope they fix this with a later update, but seriously doubt it. Most people don't even seem to notice it as it seems.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's the my only gripe with the remaster so far. With some tracks, it's extremely noticeable. I played through the game a dozen times on PS1, but I don't remember this problem at all. I hope they fix this with a later update, but seriously doubt it. Most people don't even seem to notice it as it seems.

It's really bizarre how this keeps happening with Square Enix based remasters. They weren't even involved with this one except by name, and it happened once again.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
PS2 version of 2 is the dirt worst, just an awful port. The Anniversary Edition released on Steam/GOG a few years ago is pretty good, and I think on Steam at least it's supposed to "upgrade" to Grandia 2 HD when it gets released (not sure if this is happening with the GOG version as no one has mentioned).

Pluses of the AE:

+ Hard Mode
+ 60 FPS battles
+ Japanese VA

Negatives:

- Occasional crashes (I *THINK* this was resolved during the patches - certainly I never crashed after one of them)
- Occasional audio desync in cutscenes

When it gets upgraded to "HD edition", it should add widescreen. Hopefully it fixes the audio desync, but there's been no word on that.

The DC version doesn't have the desyncs, but for me personally the advantages of the AE are enough for me to prefer playing it that way rather then dusting off my DC.
Thanks. This seems like the best option, even at the sake of losing handheld mode.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Sorry to be so negative but I'm so hacked off I feel need to post.

£36.99 is an insulting and absolutely disgusting price point. It's a joke. I am a potential customer, I am the target audience and Nintendo and GungHo, but this has pissed me off beyond salvage.

Absolutely zero incentive to buy this "upgrade" at this disgrace of a price.

I will stick to my PS1 version of Grandia and PC version of Grandia II. Really disappointed and genuinely disgusted.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

£36.99 is an insulting and absolutely disgusting price point. It's a joke. I am a potential customer, I am the target audience and Nintendo and GungHo, but this has pissed me off beyond salvage.

I will stick to my PS1 version of Grandia and PC version of Grandia II. Really disappointed and genuinely disgusted.

2 full games, great examples of the best of 32 bit and Dreamcast era RPGs, with updated visuals, available in widescreen-HD on the go (edit: with much better framerate)....disgust you?

Ok.

Update on my end: I was able to purchase it, its downloading now. Turns out I had to log out of the Store for the "estimate" date message to update to "yeah, available".

Nice friday night.

Oct 25, 2017

You aren't the target audience. They aren't going to go through the effort of porting and remastering something just to put it on a fire sale. $20 is pretty normal for a remaster of a PSX or PS2 era game, especially lengthy, well-made RPGs.

It sucks that Grandia 1 didn't get a hard mode, and that they're a forced bundle, but the price is totally in line with standards for something that isn't a straight port.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
2 full games, great examples of the best of 32 bit and Dreamcast era RPGs, with updated visuals, available in widescreen-HD on the go....disgust you?

Ok.

Update on my end: I was able to purchase it, its downloading now. Turns out I had to log out of the Store for the "estimate" date message to update to "yeah, available".

Nice friday night.

Sorry, I'll pretend I think £36.99 for two barely upgraded games is acceptable to make you feel better if you want?

I know how good the games are. But at £36.99? Come on, what the hell is going on. It's a rip off and as a fan of the games I am bitterly disappointed and disgusted, yes disgusted, at the horrendously high price.

Other than portability why should I buy this at £3 less than I bought the brilliant Fire Emblem Three Housrs when I have a PS1 copy of Grandia and a PC version of Grandia II which cost me about £8?

I know the Switch store is overpriced in general because of the so called "Switch Tax", but I stand but what I said, this price point is absolutely ridiculous. I feel strongly enough about this that I feel I need to make a fuss.