• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm planning to get this, but I will wait to a sale and at least hear some impressions. Good luck everyone playing today lol

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The battle system is a lot like in Child of Light. It borrows it perfectly. (Nobody mentioned this in all the giant explanations here, really guys? 😅)
Reason why not many mentioned it probably because it's an indie game not necessarily played by a lot, but yeah child of light borrows a lot from grandia lacking the free movement from grandia

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
as someone who never played a Grandia, I find the screenshots of the original more appealing-looking than the Switch version. pixel smoothing filters just never looked good to me and even the backgrounds IMO benefit from pixellation as it tends to hide the imperfections inherent to a decades old videogame. for example, I think that stone fortress gels more convincingly with the sky in the original.

a lot of that is subjective though and I can see how some people would be into the new look. godspeed to the devs, hope this is a success so we get more rereleases of old classics.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
as someone who never played a Grandia, I find the screenshots of the original more appealing-looking than the Switch version. pixel smoothing filters just never looked good to me and even the backgrounds IMO benefit from pixellation as it tends to hide the imperfections inherent to a decades old videogame.

a lot of that is subjective though and I can see how some people would be into the new look. godspeed to the devs, hope this is a success so we get more rereleases of old classics.

In that case you may prefer to keep an eye on this translation project and then buy the saturn version and emulate:

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Im looking forward forward to replaying Grandia - personally I'm not too fussed over the filter used, after seeing the Gamexolain video it looked pretty decent to me all things considered. I can understand why others may not want to bite though.

Wish we could have had a physical release too but oh well.

Oct 25, 2017
1) Grandia is the best JRPG battle system, but it took some time for the series to find its stride. 1&2 are still some great stuff, though.

2) These are two, full-length JRPGs for $40. That's not a bad deal.

3) The remaster of both is generally pretty good? Sucks that only Grandia 2 has an added Hard mode. Definitely play on that if you really enjoyed the battle system of Grandia 1.

4) The localizations are about what you'd expect from a JRPG of that era, Grandia 1 on the low-end of "normal". I wish it had gotten a re-dub/translation, but it isn't that ig of a loss.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
The battle system is a lot like in Child of Light. It borrows it perfectly. (Nobody mentioned this in all the giant explanations here, really guys? 😅)

Child of Light managed to take Grandia's battle system and somehow make it suck, which was impressive in its own way I guess. Grandia's battles are as good as turn-based has ever managed to get, so I can't wait to play this again for the xth time. They could have just left the graphics as they were and I'd have still bought it, the gameplay is just too good, nothing else matters.

Oct 31, 2017
I keep checking the eshop come on already.

23060.jpg

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Never played a Grandia. What's it most comparable to? Is this like a FFT or Tactics Ogre?

Is it best known for its battle system, world, story?

Closest to the somewhat recent "Trails" games largely in terms of design if you want a direct comparison. Group of kids longing for adventure go out to the see the world and get embroiled in...crazy stuff.

Some things to keep in mind for newcomers:

-Combat allows you to develop skills and abilities over use(think Skyrim). This leads to a LOT of repetitive actions to level them up. Don't fall into the min/max trap though as the game is a bit too easy and the grind is pretty ludicrous and not exactly worth it. Just play naturally and you'll be fine. Also, don't get hung up on skill egg spending. Plenty are in the game to uncover, so no real need to concern over them.

-Story is fun and endearing, but has LOTS of padding. Think DQ7 in a sense. It's almost like an episodic anime with yet another village chief asking for a favor for this episode. The overarching plot can take a seat for a bit, while you run errands for a chunk of the mid-game. Some will love it all, some may be turned off...

-Battle system allows for a lot of fun depth, but the opposition rarely commands you think much. Bosses can be exciting, but the fodder rarely are ever demanding. My largest criticism of the game and its cool mechanics, which is why I recommend NOT pushing to grind and make an easy game even easier and tedious by maxing every xp meter.

Its a solid anime-inspired jRPG for sure. Just know that is what you are getting.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I can't afford this at the moment, but I adore both of these games, so have changed my avatar in their honour for a bit (also because Feena's the bestest).

I'm interested to see how much they launch for on the UK eShop though. I still have my PS1 copy of the first game and my DC copy of the second (and own both digitally, on PSN and Steam respectively), but having them playable on the Switch would be lovely (even if they aren't entirely ideal).

Man, I still remember Sega Saturn Magazine hyping this up as an FFVII killer and running guides of a sort towards the back of the magazine as it became increasingly clear that it wasn't going to be localised. I ended up having to borrow my brother's PS1 when it eventually hit that console.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Finally checked out the gamexplain video. Who am I kidding? I'll get this. Absolutely not playing English audio. Holy crap. Lol.

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
Really curious to see what we get in the way of enhancements. Widescreen is great but poking around for old details here are a few of the things they originally promised for Grandia 1 almost a year ago:

- Enhanced details to UI, sprites, and texture art. 2x to 4x upscaling
- Original cinematic videos receiving visual enhancements
- Addition of MSAA, bloom, normal mapping, and blur effects

For Grandia II the following was mentioned back then which is a pretty big deal, hope they delivered:

- Fix PC video/audio desync

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I haven't heard but does Grandia 1 have the same English voice acting as the PS1 version or did they redub it?

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
So what is everyone going to play this with? I'm guessing Pro Controller for almost everyone? That's what I will be doing.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
If not handheld Pro controller, yes.

Right, question is for those who will be playing docked.

I always play docked (prefer to play on my TV).

Edit: Actually, playing with the Joy Cons attached to the holder is relatively the same as doing handheld mode.

Unless someone really wants to use two Joy Cons without the holder, or just one Joy Con. But I don't think there will be a benefit of that/or are able with one Joy Con.

Last edited: