• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
User Banned (3 days): Advocating piracy.
I don't care as much if it's based on the PS1 version rather than the Saturn one (although that is kind of bullshit if they're intending this to be the 'definitive' version), but forced smoothing filters and baked-filters on the sprites isn't acceptable and a total dealbreaker. Pirating or emulating an old version to bump the internal resolution up without adding filters is literally the preferable option in that case.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I've seen the battle mode wing played...that is definitely not remotely close for the saturns.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The rights are a complete mess from what's been posted over the years, since I believe they're split between Game Arts and wherever the Studio Alex rights went when Game Arts sued them into oblivion.

Victor Ireland was trying for years to get it re-released on PSN (he still owns the Working Designs localisation rights) but nothing has come of it yet and he's seemingly gone incommunicado (though the TG 16 mini includes Cadash and Parasol Star, with their original Working Designs localisation - which hadn't seen a re-release previously, so there's still hope imo)

Interesting. Hope they can work it all out.

Oct 25, 2017
Is Saturn STILL difficult to effectively and accurately port and emulate today? I played PS1 Grandia way back so I personally have no attachment to the Saturn version and don't mind a PS1 build at all. That said, having a Saturn version would be very cool. (That psychedelic water especially looks great).

I'm nitpicking though. Just *for the love of god* make that sludge filter optional and I'll be happy.

Is there any chance at all or a Lunar 1 and 2 re-release? Who has the rights? I'd kill to play them again on Switch.
The rights are a complete mess from what's been posted over the years, since I believe they're split between Game Arts and wherever the Studio Alex rights went when Game Arts sued them into oblivion.

Victor Ireland was trying for years to get it re-released on PSN (he still owns the Working Designs localisation rights) but nothing has come of it yet and he's seemingly gone incommunicado (though the TG 16 mini includes Cadash and Parasol Star, with their original Working Designs localisation - which hadn't seen a re-release previously, so there's still hope imo)

This is such a damn shame. IP Rights laws need to have some sort of auto-common domain/expiration clause in cases of dormant neglect or convoluted splitting of rights between too many parties that don't bother to come forward as owners and be accounted for.

So many great pieces of work are stuck in limbo cause arbitrary ownership rules are too incompetent to prioritize and serve the preservation and availability of said work above anything else.

I loved Lunar 1, never got to play Lunar 2. A Switch/PS4 Collection would be a dream.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Is Saturn STILL difficult to effectively and accurately port and emulate today? I played PS1 Grandia way back so I personally have no attachment to the Saturn version and don't mind a PS1 build at all. That said, having a Saturn version would be very cool. (That psychedelic water especially looks great).

I'm nitpicking though. Just *for the love of god* make that sludge filter optional and I'll be happy.

Saturn was never really starved for good emulation, we had a good Saturn emulator in SSF 16 years ago (SSF actually goes back even further, it started in '99 and the original author Shima still updates it fairly regularly today). It's just that back then you needed a really beefy CPU to run it. Kinda like Bsnes a couple of years later. But SSF is closed source, as was its only decent rival back then, Girigiri (which sega then bought), so for a long time there was an element of nervousness that if Shima quit the scene Saturn emulation would be in a mess.

Nowadays there's Mednafen though, which is also great (AND open source), so you have two fantastic emulators for it, which is more then some other consoles have.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
oh man........so many good memories with this game. Never played the saturn version but love the ps1 version.
Yes it is simple. yes it is dated but I never, ever, in all my time gaming, had that sense of adventure again.
Yes I was younger back then, yes I am wearing rose tinted nostalgia googles but I want to feel this again, I want to climb the wall again, I want to discover new worlds, grow up and have a good time again. I will be there day 1!

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
I was getting excited thinking this was releasing tomorrow until I double checked the date. Oh well, Friday isn't too far off.

Will be my first playthrough of Grandia ever.

I played Grandia 2 to completion twice when I owned it for Dreamcast. Hard to believe the last time I played it was 18 years ago.

As far as the technical concerns, here's hoping they eventually allow the filter in Grandia to be an option though it probably won't personally bother me too much. Not fussed about the Saturn gfx effects in the least.

Sounds like Grandia 2 will be spruced up quite a bit which is great. 60 fps, and a resolution boost and a new hard mode as well.

Looking forward to Friday!

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how much this is going to cost? I can't find pricing anywhere.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Do we know how much this is going to cost? I can't find pricing anywhere.
Nope no info.

I'm hoping $19.99 but my gut is $29.99. I would be disappointed if it is $39.99 or higher as that's in wait for a sale range.

Granted I did bite on the Mana Collection at $40 but the nostalgia factor was way higher with Secret of Mana and I wanted to play Trials of Mana for the first time which I did.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Nope no info.

I'm hoping $19.99 but my gut is $29.99. I would be disappointed if it is $39.99 or higher as that's in wait for a sale range.

Strange since it's releasing this week.

I'm guessing it'll be $29.99 but if it's $19.99 or under then I'll bite in a second, regardless of the quality of the ports.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I understand the complaints everyone has with the port, but I still hope people who've never played the games give them a chance. They're definitely some of the best JRPG's I've ever played.

Also, my avatar should show that I'd be super down to finally see the Lunar games ported so new players can experience them.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nope no info.

Granted I did bite on the Mana Collection at $40 but the nostalgia factor was way higher with Secret of Mana and I wanted to play Trials of Mana for the first time which I did.
$20 is too low when Grandia 2 alone is $20. $30 is what I'm hoping for, but closer to $40 seems more realistic sadly.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I'm just a filthy casual but it looks good to me.

I really like how the "filter" turns out on the characters, looks like the OGs just in HD, literally the only critique I have after all these videos are the battle backgrounds, they got a little bit too much softened. But cities and characters, no problem.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the filter is really weird and kinda unnecessary for a game like this. Grandia 2 looks fine at least.

Oct 25, 2017
There's no hard mode added to G1 like there was for G2, right? That sucks. The gameplay in the series is good but is virtually never pushed.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean if this is 30 dollars or less I will buy it no matter what kind of source code they used.

If it's more than I will need to evaluate it.