• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, isn't Saturn emulation super tricky since it uses tris instead of polygons? IIRC that's the reason we barely see any ports from that generation, outside of ground-up remakes like Panzer Dragoon gets

I imagine technology has come a long way since I last looked up Saturn emulation but I can't really say I'm surprised they went for the easier option if the alternative would take a lot more man hours and be harder to tack extra features onto, let alone inject the English localization.

If that is the case though, they should really say as much to clear up any misunderstandings.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that this won't be a M2 level port, but eh, just seeing that Grandia title screen was enough for me to give this a look.

At the right price, I will buy day 1.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I can play this via my BC PS3 with my PSX Grandia 1. Same with my Grandia II. But at the very least, several of the assets will be cleaned up (compared if I played my PSX copy). It may not look like the Saturn version, but I am certain it will look better than my PSX copy.

But that Grandia II is the Anniversary edition is another big bonus for me to buy the collection. Because as I mentioned, I haven't played this version. And it was something that I had wanted to play when it was released for the PC, but wanted to play it on my big screen TV. And now I can do so.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
For what it's worth, isn't Saturn emulation super tricky since it uses tris instead of polygons? IIRC that's the reason we barely see any ports from that generation, outside of ground-up remakes like Panzer Dragoon gets

I imagine technology has come a long way since I last looked up Saturn emulation but I can't really say I'm surprised they went for the easier option if the alternative would take a lot more man hours and be harder to tack extra features onto, let alone inject the English localization.

If that is the case though, they should really say as much to clear up any misunderstandings.
The saturn renders quads, everything else else renders tris.
Actually, Saturn emulation is pretty straight forward and easy. The tricky fame is a heritage from the earlier days and people doesn't let it go without even trying. You can emulate it in pretty much anything but a raspberry pi.
The Switch is emulating the Saturn at full speed.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The saturn renders quads, everything else else renders tris.
Actually, Saturn emulation is pretty straight forward and easy. The tricky fame is a heritage from the earlier days and people doesn't let it go without even trying. You can emulate it in pretty much anything but a raspberry pi.
The Switch is emulating the Saturn at full speed.

Ah ok, thanks for the tri clarification.

Then yeah that makes the decision a bit baffling.

although now I'm even more inclined to get that Panzer Dragoon remake in the hopes Sega just ports Panzer Dragoon Saga somewhere finally

MJKbillabo

Jun 13, 2019
One thing I would love to see is a Hard mode for Grandia 1. Maybe if we all email Gungho they will get the picture :)

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No offense but it shouldn't be too hard to surpass the Saturn version even with the PS1 base version. This game was supposed come out in winter, so it's had some time to bake

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
No offense but it shouldn't be too hard to surpass the Saturn version even with the PS1 base version. This game was supposed come out in winter, so it's had some time to bake

That would require them to remake the game. Make new assets and what not. Doesn't seem to be the case on this. This is the case of them having access to the raw picture file (Saturn) and they using a compressed JPEG (ps1 ver).

You can't improve on something that looks that awful.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017

I can't wait.
I played both Saturn and ps1 versions and I love how it looks.

Part of me want it tomorrow. But I really want it to be well done and fully baked.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I wish they would address the camera. I'm getting a headache while watching the gameplay footage....
There's really no point to call this a remaster if they are using the ps1 ver as a base. The Saturn version is the master version of the game.

Is like claiming to remaster the Beatles , and using cassette versions as your base.

A total pass for me. Not even at discounted price. Wish they didn't waste their time on this.
I would have loved the Saturn version too but c'mon. This is kinda ridiculous.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I am more annoyed that the translation seems the same. The original was not known for having a good translation.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I am more annoyed that the translation seems the same. The original was not known for having a good translation.
I don't remember anything particularly bad about it? The weirdest thing I can think of was censoring the alcohol to caffeine. It was really the voice acting that was a problem.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
We've gotta keep requesting better from GungHo. They've got the Puzzle & Dragons money to put out a better remaster than this.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
This is awesome! Grandia has some of my favorite JRPG battle systems. Hopefully these do really well and they can port them to more platforms so more people can be exposed to these great games.

Would be really cool to have a limited run physical edition at least.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the game releases in shambles and similarly to the PS1 version, I'll probably pick the game up on PC when it's on sales and hope there's a decent modding community that will fix it like people have been doing with the bad Final Fantasy remasters.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Every time I see a bump I think a date has been announced haha. Oh well, I got plenty of games already and am only interested in 2 anyway.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Actually, Saturn emulation is pretty straight forward and easy.

you saying this in hindsight after so many year of progress in the saturn emulation scene. The tricky thing about saturn is more than just tri vs quads but also the synchronization timing between its dual chip setup. It took years and years of research and PC hardware advancement to get to where we are right now.

As a point of comparison, Dreamcast emulation are pretty much possible full speed (albeit with alot graphic and audio glitches and mistiming and crashes) in the early 2000s with a pentium 4 via the 1st release of Chankast/NullDC while the same P4 can't really run any saturn emulator decently at all (believe me, as a sega saturn owner with alot of saturn games, i've tried the :( )

sca

Oct 25, 2017
can the smoothing be turned off? Too bad it isn't the Saturn version. Would the options to play the saturn version on a modern tv be Saturn + OSSC, Polymega, or emulation?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The sprite smoothing is ugly. Companies should spend more time applying solid CRT filters than smoothing out sprites. a Decent filter will accomplish that on its own.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
HD ed.
ajdBiBK.gif

saturn:
60wB6Bc.gif

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Grandia III is the best-playing one, so that's a shame.

First game is a slog to get through, but the sequel is sublime.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Grandia III is the best-playing one, so that's a shame.

First game is a slog to get through, but the sequel is sublime.
Everything you said is the exact opposite to what I think. Except for the very last part about Grandia 2 a bit I guess.

Grandia 1 is the best one. It deserves a remake that's all.

3 gets old very fast. The best characters
leave the party so early.
Battles are really fun at first but the more you advance the more it shows its limits.