• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
If it's not a setting toggle, I hope someone mods the game so you can switch off the sprite filtering. I'm ok with the filtered textures, but they killed the beautiful spritework with that heavy fitlering

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
The introduction to Parm with Sue roaming around runs totally out of sync with the music due to the frame rate. That's such a bummer.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
So basically for G1 it seems that the VA and character spirtes are awful, but the backgrounds, the textures and the environments look great. G2 looks a million times better though and I HATE that filter for G1. They just need to make the sprites normal and then it'll be perfect. And is it me, or is G2's sound a bit on the quiet side?

The VA is the exact same and hasn't changed? Have you played G1 before?

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
The VA is the exact same and hasn't changed? Have you played G1 before?

I know it's from the original game, I was just hoping for a redub of sorts. I'm brand new to the series but I was expecting at least some alternate dub (they made more than one, didn't they? Like for PAL regions or something, or was it strictly English/Japanese?)

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
yysPuoT.gif
Saturn version has a longer animation. New version (ps1 version) looks better in the tremor effect.

Oct 25, 2017
There are some awful line reads for sure but I actually like some of the VA for Grandia. I think cardboard Mullen and Baal make a really bad first impression though

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's from the original game, I was just hoping for a redub of sorts. I'm brand new to the series but I was expecting at least some alternate dub (they made more than one, didn't they? Like for PAL regions or something, or was it strictly English/Japanese?)
I can only speak for the German version of Grandia, and this was a very weird one. 99% of the game were dubbed in English, only the FMV cutscenes with dialog were German dubbed (and quite horrible at that). There was at least one scene where they forgot to remove the English sound and just put the German dubbed lines over it. A very amateurish localization altogether with tons of spelling errors, but I still love it to this day. I wonder if they retranslated the script for the remake (- who am I kidding? They never do).

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Grandia 1 looks fantastic. Grandia 2 looks amazing as well. I have a job, little responsibility, and budget within my means, so $40 isn't a big deal for nearly 100 hours of some of the best JRPGs of their respective gens.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they fixed the spell for Feena. Can't remember the name of it.

I expect we will know in a week or two

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Are you basing it off the screenshots or do you have the game?

I'm basing it on the preview appointment I had with it at E3 as well as the screens I've seen since in this thread and elsewhere. I thought it looked quite good when I previewed it at E3, and I still think it does now.

That said, I'm definitely a Grandia fan but I'm not a hardcore purist so a lot of the rage in this thread about the graphics is naturally lost on me, which I'm thankful for because I get to keep being excited for this, haha.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I just realized how thirsty I am to play 32 bit era RPGs on my Switch. FFVII was fantastic on the small screen but I want 2D sprites on top of 3D (Grandia-Xenogears), so I literally cant wait for Grandia.

Even if its the PS1 version with filtered textures.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the look of remastered Grandia 1, I just hope they fixed the missing sound effects in battles. This would be a real deal breaker :/

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I think Grandia looks fine. Yes it could have been better but only a ground up remake would fix those issues.

Unfortunately it's the wrong time of the year for me to play it. Still working through Builders 2, then Borderlands 3 in a month, then concrete genie and Medievil.

Since there is no Assassin's Creed this year I may be able to squeeze it in before FFVII Remake.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Why did PS1 version have so mang omissions? Was Saturn more powerful than PS1??
Back then console hardware were quite different from each others with its own strengths and weaknesses.
Saturn's architecture was weird in the sense that 3D was obtained by manipulating sprites and it had the advantage that one processor could display a "mode 7"-like background so in the case of a big flat plane (think Grandia's towns floors) Saturn could draw it for free whereas PS1 had to clamp together many small polygons.

shynra

Oct 27, 2017
Im here day 1 (waiting for the EU release). One of the big ones for me that screams PlayStation is the intro:

(timestamped at 8:18) When they open the viewports the scaling is the very bumpy PSX Scaling - the Saturn was smoother. That was the first major difference i remember as a kid and this version really does scream PlayStation version.

(timestampped 5.09)

I am being picky but anyway day 1! Cannot wait to play this light hearted adventure again.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm basing it on the preview appointment I had with it at E3 as well as the screens I've seen since in this thread and elsewhere. I thought it looked quite good when I previewed it at E3, and I still think it does now.

That said, I'm definitely a Grandia fan but I'm not a hardcore purist so a lot of the rage in this thread about the graphics is naturally lost on me, which I'm thankful for because I get to keep being excited for this, haha.
You don't have to be a purist... It's about wanting better from a remaster. Grandia 2 Anniversary Edition/HD is based on the original Dreamcast version and is the definitive version of it, but Grandia 1 isn't being given the same treatment. Instead it's taking all from a mediocre port of the game that lacks effects and graphical detail which can and even has had effects on the atmosphere in cutscenes, such as the final cutscene when you should be able to see the spirits flying through the air or see them gesture over to Mullen, that stuff isn't present in the PS1 version, and from what we've seen, I'm having doubts we'll see them present here either.

And even then, from what previews we've seen, people have commented on missing sound effects in battle.

Much of this is very fixable, especially on current hardware.

Heck, this is a bug. The first town shouldn't even look like this in the PS1 version.
D86FWGcWkAAg82T.jpg

And this is how it should look from the Saturn version.
D86FWb5WwAA2nnp.jpg

Fixable cause all it is, is a texture issue where they've been assigned the wrong spots. The jittery camera is also fixable. There's a lot of things that are fixable. Just because not many even played the Saturn version does not mean it cannot look as good as the Saturn version.

If anything, I feel lied to by Gungho in how they kept touting that they were using Saturn version as a reference since they announced this. Much of the changes from Saturn to PS1 are incredibly obvious at a glance and with simple comparisons, and I have yet to see anything at all even remotely looking comparable to the Saturn version. Heck, the trailer is using PS1 footage where the camera is sweeping over the Town of Parm, then showing the remastered version.

Like damn. It's been so frustrating to even talk about Grandia and aim any kind of criticism or concern of what has been shown without people being labeled nitpicky or purist.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
You don't have to be a purist... It's about wanting better from a remaster. Grandia 2 Anniversary Edition/HD is based on the original Dreamcast version and is the definitive version of it, but Grandia 1 isn't being given the same treatment. Instead it's taking all from a mediocre port of the game that lacks effects and graphical detail which can and even has had effects on the atmosphere in cutscenes, such as the final cutscene when you should be able to see the spirits flying through the air or see them gesture over to Mullen, that stuff isn't present in the PS1 version, and from what we've seen, I'm having doubts we'll see them present here either.

And even then, from what previews we've seen, people have commented on missing sound effects in battle.

Much of this is very fixable, especially on current hardware.

Heck, this is a bug. The first town shouldn't even look like this in the PS1 version.

Fixable cause all it is, is a texture issue where they've been assigned the wrong spots. The jittery camera is also fixable. There's a lot of things that are fixable. Just because not many even played the Saturn version does not mean it cannot look as good as the Saturn version.

If anything, I feel lied to by Gungho in how they kept touting that they were using Saturn version as a reference since they announced this. Much of the changes from Saturn to PS1 are incredibly obvious at a glance and with simple comparisons, and I have yet to see anything at all even remotely looking comparable to the Saturn version. Heck, the trailer is using PS1 footage where the camera is sweeping over the Town of Parm, then showing the remastered version.

Like damn. It's been so frustrating to even talk about Grandia and aim any kind of criticism or concern of what has been shown without people being labeled nitpicky or purist.

Hey, no, you bring up a lot of totally valid points. Much of what you mentioned isn't going to bug me personally because my memories of the first Grandia are already based on the PS1 version so that's my barometer, but it is a shame that this port seems not to be based on what you and others have made clear is the objectively superior version of the game.

I probably should have said something else other than "purist" in my post. Obviously there's nothing wrong with being a purist, and some good points have been raised about what it appears this port will be missing since it seems to be based on the PS1 version of the game (and if so, shame on GungHo for suggesting otherwise). My snark was mainly aimed at the majority of the people in this thread whose criticisms begin and end with "eww look at the texture filtering, those sprites are hideous, it's SO UGLY I'll pass thx" and aren't engaging in the wider, more meaningful conversation about other drawbacks this port may have. I just think the graphics thing specifically has become really overblown and some people are just never going to be happy no matter what, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Why PC is September?

The Switch version is both games together while Grandia 1 is being sold solo on PC (I guess because the PC has had Grandia 2 AE, which will be updated to Grandia 2 HD for years).

Maybe they want to maximise the amount of money they make on the switch version before people get to pick and choose?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I liked the "wish there was an added difficulty option in Grandia 1."

That, is new talk.
The filter thing is getting old. Some like some hate, basta.

I can't wait to try it, checking the eshop inbetween 10 minutes of Slay the Spire lol. It's such a great summer. And with Astral Chain soon, we're spoiled.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, no, you bring up a lot of totally valid points. Much of what you mentioned isn't going to bug me personally because my memories of the first Grandia are already based on the PS1 version so that's my barometer, but it is a shame that this port seems not to be based on what you and others have made clear is the objectively superior version of the game.

I probably should have said something else other than "purist" in my post. Obviously there's nothing wrong with being a purist, and some good points have been raised about what it appears this port will be missing since it seems to be based on the PS1 version of the game (and if so, shame on GungHo for suggesting otherwise). My snark was mainly aimed at the majority of the people in this thread whose criticisms begin and end with "eww look at the texture filtering, those sprites are hideous, it's SO UGLY I'll pass thx" and aren't engaging in the wider, more meaningful conversation about other drawbacks this port may have. I just think the graphics thing specifically has become really overblown and some people are just never going to be happy no matter what, but hey, different strokes for different folks.
Okay, that's fine. It's hard to tell as there have been a few posters who have done what I mentioned. Just frustrated by that. On that particular thing, I think it would have been best if Gungho had just allowed people to switch between filtered and unfiltered. You can't please everyone, but having options like that can go a long way to mitigate discussion around it. Hopefully it's something they might patch in down the road. I'm also hoping Grandia 1 will see patches in general too. Grandia 2 Anniversary Edition had some issues here and there back when it first came to Steam but they patched them and now it's better. I can only hope this is something they'll do for Grandia 1.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I'm going to play grandia 2 again tonight. I never liked the PC version for some reason it always stuttered on my PC, so I always ignored it.

When I played grandia 1 on PS1 my playstation 1 was at its end. It died shortly after.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Back then console hardware were quite different from each others with its own strengths and weaknesses.
Saturn's architecture was weird in the sense that 3D was obtained by manipulating sprites and it had the advantage that one processor could display a "mode 7"-like background so in the case of a big flat plane (think Grandia's towns floors) Saturn could draw it for free whereas PS1 had to clamp together many small polygons.
In one of the interviews they said the Saturn had to be developed in a certain way which didn't translate well in ports.

It is like the cell processor of that era.

Man, exotic hardware is so intriguing. I understand that it causes various problems such as the ps1 port in this case, but overall, I think it produced some really interesting things.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man that's super disappointing if the first image is the remaster. I really hope it's not that bad or it's just a strange cut

You might be right that it was probably cut short just for that gif and yes I posted the gif of the Saturn version. It's been ages since I last touched the PS1 version and I've beaten that twice then sold it on but I kept the Saturn versions. But now I think that scene was left intact in the ps1 version since it's quite an important part of the story so hopefully it will still be in this remake.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019

Gamexplain Game & Watch
We always have so much to say befor a game releases but what's been shown in this video looks mighty fine and i'm sure very servicable for those with the higher expectations/standards. I really hope this game does well so we can see more (and better) of this kind of stuff.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So, done with work, here comes the weekend.
It's still not online? Well, at least I haven't missed the release and we can all start together. 😄

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
We always have so much to say befor a game releases but what's been shown in this video looks mighty fine and i'm sure very servicable for those with the higher expectations/standards. I really hope this game does well so we can see more (and better) of this kind of stuff.
Why woul they do better if people buy this minimum effort port ?