• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Gah! Thought we had an update. I've been checking nearly every few days for news on this. I thought it was originally supposed to be December 2018 :-/

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If there's a Direct next month, this would be one of the most exciting announcements for me, being the release date, especially if it were to come out that day or not long after.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Damn, what a bump!

Anyway, I hope the following is true: GungHo was completely surpirsed by the amazing reception the announcement got and realized they had to put some extra efford into the project to make sure this ends up being an amazing remaster.

I mean, Grandia is in the Top 5 best JRPGS of all time. This remaster is a HUGE DEAL!

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Bumping this thread is so rude >:(

I gave up waiting for some news and started another playthrough anyway.

Oct 31, 2017
Bumping this thread is so rude >:(

23060.jpg

I'm working on Wild arms, although considering starting chrono cross too

Both are on my list too :D

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I'm working on Wild arms, although considering starting chrono cross too

So how would you play Chrono Cross? I have a BC PS3 (and the original game), but I hear there are a lot of issues playing Chrono Cross on a PS3, even the original BC version. I remember reading about issues in using the elements causing the game to freeze/lock up.

But if you've found a good way to play it, and not homebrewed, I would love to hear how you are doing it. Really want to play Chrono Cross, but not if there are going to be issues trying to run it on my BC PS3.

Ghil

Oct 27, 2017
My heart stopped for a second after I saw the bump.

So how would you play Chrono Cross? I have a BC PS3 (and the original game), but I hear there are a lot of issues playing Chrono Cross on a PS3, even the original BC version. Issues with how the element bars display and I remember hearing something about a game-breaking bug later in the game, as well.

But if you've found a good way to play it, and not homebrewed, I would love to hear how you are doing it. Really want to play Chrono Cross, but not if there are going to be issues trying to run it on my BC PS3.

A PS1, a Sony Trinitron. That's the best way to experience it.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
My heart stopped for a second after I saw the bump.

A PS1, a Sony Trinitron. That's the best way to experience it.

No, I'm talking about through what system/means is he going to play it. Not which TV.

Searching online, I am seeing posts as early as last year that people are having problems with the game locking up when using the elements (on their PS3).

Ghil

Oct 27, 2017
No, I'm talking about through what system/means is he going to play it. Not which TV.

Searching online, I am seeing posts as early as last year that people are having problems with the game locking up when using the elements (on their PS3).

Yeah sorry I wasn't clear, what I meant was that the best way to experience the game is with an original PS1 and a good CRT, because otherwise, unless you're willing to go homebrew, the game doesn't fare well in modern systems. I tried, and resorted to getting a CRT for that.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sorry I wasn't clear, what I meant was that the best way to experience the game is with an original PS1 and a good CRT, because otherwise, unless you're willing to go homebrew, the game doesn't fare well in modern systems. I tried, and resorted to getting a CRT for that.

Not really a viable option for me. No space for CRT and not even sure where you could buy one now.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

Is that with the disc or the PSN version? Sometimes those fix compatibility problems that the discs have.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really intrigued to see what Grandia HD is going to look like...

If it's just a straight remaster I hope for 60fps and for the option to have unfiltered textures.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

I don't own a PS1, but how about a PS2 or PS3 on a CRT?

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
I'm actually glad that this has been delayed (seemingly), the original release plans seemed way too soon for a quality port/remaster collection.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I'd rather have Grandia Xtreme myself since that's the least accessible one. Grandia 3 is at least available on the PS3.

Doesn't hurt that Grandia Xtreme uses revised version of Grandia II's combat system which I consider to be one of the best incarnation of turned based combat with real time elements.

Small steps and all that. Hopefully after Grandia + Grandia II HD Remaster are successful than maybe GungHo can do Grandia Xtreme.

Although considering GungHo is putting in the work to remaster the original Grandia, hopefully this also leads to the potential revival Lunar 1 and 2 for a modern platform since they retain the rights to it.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Doesn't hurt that Grandia Xtreme uses revised version of Grandia II's combat system which I consider to be one of the best incarnation of turned based combat with real time elements.

Small steps and all that. Hopefully after Grandia + Grandia II HD Remaster are successful than maybe GungHo can do Grandia Xtreme.

Although considering GungHo is putting in the work to remaster the original Grandia, hopefully this also leads to the potential revival Lunar 1 and 2 for a modern platform since they retain the rights to it.

I've been waiting for a Lunar 2 port for years and years. I buy the first wherever it pops up including IOS.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017

Xtreme had the best combat of all the Grandia games. The animations were simpler and more predictable, so it was easier to judge cancel timings like Grandia II, but also had the cool new IP gauge featured in Grandia III sans the accompanying embarrassingly exaggerated anime-ass battle animations actively working against your ability to judge cancels that made Grandia III's combat the poo icing on the crap cake that game turned out to be.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are they still afraid of showing what the games looks like to the general public?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
This is firmly in the may be pile.

It all depends on when it is released and if both games are on the card.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Never played this, do these games hold up today?

Yes. IMO The first two Grandia games are amongst timeless RPGs greats like Suikoden II, Chrono Trigger, and FF6. They come close / or are near that level in terms of quality. Their mechanics in mixing real time and turned based elements in being able to time your commands to interrupt or delay enemy actions or spell casting times makes it stand out among it's contemporaries.

I suppose the same could be said for a lot of RPGs produced and released during that time line from the late 90's and early 00's, though.

Oct 26, 2017
Never played this, do these games hold up today?
I can only speak for Grandia 2, which I played on the Dreamcast. To this day I feel like the battle system is among the best in the JRPG genre. The characters might be a bit cliche and one dimensional, but I absolutely enjoyed it and am def. getting this remaster on Switch.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is firmly in the may be pile.

It all depends on when it is released and if both games are on the card.

Yeah, wanting a physical release here, too.

It should have both games on cart if that's the case though, both games are like 4GB total. Unless they remaster a bunch of textures and have uncompressed audio, it shouldn't be really bigger than that.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to have some news finally, and hopefully Grandia 1 won't be English only still, I'm afraid I'll have to skip if they won't bring the EU localization.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, wanting a physical release here, too.

It should have both games on cart if that's the case though, both games are like 4GB total. Unless they remaster a bunch of textures and have uncompressed audio, it shouldn't be really bigger than that.

Well the texture work I can see increasing the size of Grandia II but Grandia is mainly 2D sprite game the exception being the backgrounds being flat textured backgrounds like many of the earlier PSX RPGs that utilized 2D overlayed on top of a 3D element.

Unless they have completely redrawn all of the sprites for Grandia I, which seems outside the scope of a remaster, I don't see this games file size being much larger.

Putting things into perspective Grandia II Anniversary Edition on Steam is under 2.6GB in entirely and I expect even with the remastering work for Grandia 1 to be smaller than Grandia II. So fitting both games even fully remastered with updated texture work and higher res FMV should reasonably fit on even a 8GB Switch Cart.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Yes. IMO The first two Grandia games are amongst timeless RPGs greats like Suikoden II, Chrono Trigger, and FF6. They come close / or are near that level in terms of quality. Their mechanics in mixing real time and turned based elements in being able to time your commands to interrupt or delay enemy actions or spell casting times makes it stand out among it's contemporaries.

I suppose the same could be said for a lot of RPGs produced and released during that time line from the late 90's and early 00's, though.
I can only speak for Grandia 2, which I played on the Dreamcast. To this day I feel like the battle system is among the best in the JRPG genre. The characters might be a bit cliche and one dimensional, but I absolutely enjoyed it and am def. getting this remaster on Switch.
2 holds up decently
1 is one of the greatest rpgs ever made

Thanks I might give this a try on Switch. Not sure how I missed these games at that time I was only into RPGs released by Square.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
I have great memories of playing grandia 1. Still salty about the ending tho. If these ports are decent, then I'll bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.