• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

First time playing GTA V?

• Yes

Votes: 283 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 809 74.1%

• Total voters

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
... why? I there a difference, or are you trolling? LOL (I have the Steam version too, I am genuinely curios if there's a difference)
GTA V does not allow gameshare on same PC even, i got GTA V on my account on Steam but my bros on their own Steam account can't play it which sucks ..

So thanks to Epic every user can just redeeem their own GTA V on their own account free :D

No point me having both Steam and EGS versions of GTA V downloaded waste of space i'll just keep EGS version which multiple users on my PC will use

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I've not been able to get on the launcher store or web store. Be a dear and tell me how much RDR 2 is for my mate who really wants in at sale price.

E: wow poll result is real surprise!

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
ill be honest, if this is your first time playing - id just stick to the original graphics. The game still looks great (just go easy on the grass detail and post fx quality, 2 fps killer even on todays hw)
I've tried out various graphical overhauls over the past few years and have come away with the realization that nothing beats Rockstar's settings. Someone might make the game look really good at a certain time of day on a specific weather, but everything else ends up looking washed out or weird. I think there's a chance NaturalVision Evolution might change that, but the dude is locking it behind a patreon subscription for the time being.

For those new to modding, the tool you'll need to do pretty much anything is OpenIV (lets you view and edit any file in the game) and ScriptHook (drop into your game directory). If you don't give a shit about the story and just want to fuck around, Simple Native Trainer allows you to do pretty much anything imaginable. Just drop that into your game directory too and you're good to go. I feel like one of the most important mods you can download right now is Bass Dragon's Euphoria. It tries to recreate IV styled physics and makes combat a million times more satisfying. The author packaged it into an OIV file so just double click it and OpenIV handles the installation automatically. And if you're looking to retain the game's atmosphere while still improving it visually, I recommend downloading this set of mods:
  • Beta Vegetation & Props - This attempts to restore the shit ton of props and trees Rockstar removed during development. The guy meticulously scoured every pre-release trailer and screenshot to make sure it's as accurate as possible. Areas like Mirror Park and North Vinewood look insanely better.
  • V PropRestore - This renables various props around the map Rockstar placed but disabled for some reason. The theory being they disabled them for PS3/360 and forgot to enable them again for current gen.
  • Map Fixes - This fixes dozens of minor quirks around the map Rockstar never noticed like: Bahama Mama's exterior not lighting up correctly, a missing texture on a rooftop, a sign at the docks saying Liberty City instead of Los Santos. I doubt most would even notice these but it's nice to have.
  • Beta Map & Interiors - Chances are you won't notice much of a difference here, but one great thing it does is restore the original sculpture at Vespucci Beach, which Rockstar removed like a month after launch due to legal issues.
  • Old Gen Visual - This removes some of the weird visual changes Rockstar made on current gen. It comes with various tweaks you should mix and match depending on your own preferences. I don't recommend installing them all at once however. Check the comparisons and see what you like best. In my opinion, the game looks way better without the lens artifacts and overdone fog in the city.
  • GTA V Remastered - I'm kinda torn on this one. The dude added a shit ton of new props around the city and as a result made the map feel way more lively, however he went way overboard in lots of areas. It's worth a try if you want to give the map a new feel, but there's a somewhat steep performance cost. Just make sure you open BVPMapCompatibility.ini (from the Beta Vegetation & Props mod) and enable compatibility with GTA V Remastered so trees don't spawn into each other.

Last edited:

JackEtc

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Grabbed Control for $20 with that coupon, and it gave me....another $10 coupon. So I grabbed the DLC and it gave me....another $10 coupon. I read more into the terms and that is indeed how it's supposed to work. Wild

"Every time you use a $10 Epic Coupon on any eligible game or add-on $14.99 and above during the MEGA Sale you will receive an additional $10 Epic Coupon."

krg

Oct 27, 2017
If you aren't getting it, try restarting the launcher. It worked for me.

It's funny how such a popular free game exposes how bad the Epic launcher is in comparison to the other major game launchers.
the other major launchers have never given a huge game for free though.

Don't forget that Steam shits the bed every damn time a big sale starts.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
essential mods list

btw i would recommend using a mod manager so you don't get banned trying to go online with these as they're script hook based

Crime and Police Rebalance & Enhancement - absolute game changer, vanilla police AI in the game is BOOTY, this completely fixes things so you don't get an instant 5 star wanted level for pushing a can over and makes the game fun again. literally would not bother playing SP without this

Menyoo PC [Single-Player Trainer Mod] - if you want to fuck around with cheats, spawn cars in, change weather/time, weapons etc etc, fun times :)

VisualV - GTA V is kind of an old game at this point and looks a bit dated in places but this mod really helps to breathe new life into it graphics wise

NaturalVision Remastered - the most popular graphics mod. combine visualv with naturalvision to get some interesting results.

BeDmjVF.jpg

GTA FOV - self-explanatory, default fov in first person mode is TRASH

Euphoria Ragdoll Overhaul - E.R.O - god i don't evne know where to start with this one, just download it, makes the game so much fucking better

L.A. Roads + L.A. Roads Patch [Add-On] - texture mod for roads (duh), looks very good when you combine it with naturalvision and visualv

Mobile Radio - not really essential, but i like being able to listen to music outside of cars

i cba making a tutorial on how to install all of these but if you go on YT, you'll be able to find a few.

okayyyyyy

Well, great in theory, but after getting some mods ready the game tells me mods are basically not possible with the current version. Great.

vLRPRKW.png

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
EGS needs better severs. Every week a freebie goes up and problems. This week it shit the bed entirely. I bet this crash will last days. You would think they would fix the constant server problems and platform bugs but I guess not.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Finally managed to grab it via the launcher.

Also got a coupon, 95 SEK (swedish kronor).

Sweet.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Epic is killing it. Thank you! Been meaning to play this on PC one day as I had only played the PS3 version.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
didn't have much issue claiming it through the pc client. finally got the game woo.Will be interesting if rumors of Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is next free game is true

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Still 403 forbidden on the web. Would make sense if they temporarily block that so at least people can get in with the launcher software.

Imagine someone 5 years ago having a launcher where even the store going offline took out the ability to play all games....it's just normal now.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have no issues with people using or not using the store. My main issue is in any thread involving EPIC's name at all everyone feels they have to stand tall and let everyone know that they don't like EPIC or their store. They are so eager to let everyone know their opinion and talk down to people who like getting the free games or are excited. They want to deflate a persons happiness and belittle them for being happy about something.
Sorry I fell asleep over here in Australia so couldn't respond. My reasons for criticism aren't to deflate on the free game, that's fine and dandy. I actually suspect a lot of people criticising them still end up getting the free game because at least we get to enjoy something free at the expense of Epic's wallets.

My main problem with Epic is the double conversion they charge which puts prices up to exorbitant amounts here in Australia. We get both a region price tag that is more than America and on top of that a USD conversion rate charge which puts our store prices further up purely for greed. Throw in the horrendous storefront that has you stepping through multiple menu choices just to get a free game, or to purchase one, and it becomes incredibly obtuse for a store. Also the exclusivity titles is downright ironic because of Tim Sweeney's whole hate wagon against Steam being about a walled garden so he just makes one himself.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GTA is one of those games that I've been vaguely curious about, but not enough to actually buy it. So this will be my first time.

Or at least, it would be, if it wasn't 90 gigs! I need to upgrade my storage, jesus...

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
the website doesnt work for me. the client it self loaded. but the epic game countdown says 000000 and there is no GTA

am i the only one ?

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait a minute you need to add 2 factor to redeem free games now?
Yea no ty, not giving Chinese government my phone number.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Well, great in theory, but after getting some mods ready the game tells me mods are basically not possible with the current version. Great.

vLRPRKW.png
woah, idk how i missed this post

crime rebalanced has actually been outdated since 2016 actually, so uninstall it and use this instead

GTA5-Mods.com

you could still use crime rebalanced if you don't install the vehicles.meta file btw. if you've got a backup of that file then you should be good. if not, delete the vehicles.meta already there and verify integrity of game files (if epic even has an option for that)

the rest of the mods outside of mobile radio maybe should work as they aren't based around script hook

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
woah, idk how i missed this post

crime rebalanced has actually been outdated since 2016 actually, so uninstall it and use this instead

GTA5-Mods.com

you could still use crime rebalanced if you don't install the vehicles.meta file btw. if you've got a backup of that file then you should be good.

Doesn't work. I copied over my clean update file to see if it works with just script hook but no mods and it doesn't.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I boot up the launcher it has a different language lmao
First English, now Chinese (I'm French)

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Doesn't work. I copied over my clean update file to see if it works with just script hook but no mods and it doesn't.
really weird... maybe this new epic games store version isn't supported by script hook yet? wouldn't really make sense though, would it? it all works fine on my end with steam...

this is really obvious but you are using the latest version of script hook yeh? (04 april 2020)

gspec

Oct 25, 2017
you can get the epic store in the client but you are not logged in. I am getting an error when I try to log in. It looks like they shutdown the login server.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cant play it yet, The Rockstar Social thing IS online but as soon as I'm starting GTA, it tells me "went offline you gotta quit the game".
Might have installed the mods too early or one of them shot the install.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Grabbed Control for $20 with that coupon, and it gave me....another $10 coupon. So I grabbed the DLC and it gave me....another $10 coupon. I read more into the terms and that is indeed how it's supposed to work. Wild

"Every time you use a $10 Epic Coupon on any eligible game or add-on $14.99 and above during the MEGA Sale you will receive an additional $10 Epic Coupon."
Yeah this is the true announcement of the day. I will finally pick up Control for a sweet discount.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Still 403 forbidden on the web. Would make sense if they temporarily block that so at least people can get in with the launcher software.

I consistently got 403:s on the web using Chrome until I tried Firefox on a hunch. To my surprise it worked perfectly, and I could claim the game after doing the 2FA thing! Tried it with Chrome just to see if it was just something temporary, and it was not. Consistent 403:s with Chrome, fine with Firefox. Perhaps the browsers got different servers due to local DNS caching or something? I thought I'd mention it in case it works for someone else.

Oct 28, 2019

This is fucking wild lol, time to buy the entire Ubisoft catalogue as those you can just launch from Uplay

J75

Sep 29, 2018
At this point, I won't be surprised if the free period is over and the store's still fucked, *sigh*.