• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Announced on the Take Two conference call.

What's surprising is that it is very much a consistent seller. It's the game of the generation with many buying the game when they pick up a current gen console.

View attachment 307

For reference. Minecraft is the best selling paid game when combining sales of the Console, PC and Mobile versions with over 150m sold. GTAV is second. GTAV has now sold more than GTA III, VC, SA, and IV combined.

(Tetris technically sold more than both titles when you combine all the versions of the game).

What this graph doesn't show is that unit price has fallen over time. I think wholesale price the game can be bought for around US$15/Eu15 on PC for a key at the moment. There's also been significantly more sales on steam recently than there's been in the past.

All that said, 100m is a incredible achievement, most of that due to GTA online, I don't think they could have achieved it if it was just a single player game.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy considering it didnt get a permanent price drop till this year as well. Amazingly successful. Good job

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
The fact that it sold more than the four games in the series before it combined is insane. It's the biggest game of all time and I don't think any game ever is going to be bigger than it.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
It's like minecraft at this point it confuses me who's left to buy it.

Around 7.5 Billion people

/s

One of the answer is probably that GTAV is a must buy when you have a PS4/XBOX/PC. So, with 6 years in the market, enough time has passed so that people who couldn't buy/didn't want to buy the game now can (ie 8yo child is now 14 or something like that).
Then there are people who simply did not have a console to play GTAV on before, but recently bought it because of GoW/Spidey/RDR2 (for 2018). And so, just like Mario Kart on Nintendo consoles, it's not necessarily the first game you buy, but it is often the second one.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Well after Rockstar will introduce online to RDR2 it may finally stop selling.

Maybe.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Why does it have such a huge tail? Is it that kids are coming of age to buy it? I would think everyone would have it by now and it wouldn't keep such consistent sell in.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Why does it have such a huge tail? Is it that kids are coming of age to buy it? I would think everyone would have it by now and it wouldn't keep such consistent sell in.

GTA Online, loading screens aside, is one of the most ambitious and fun MP games in history.

Millions of people play it monthly, and word of mouth has continually helped it grow for over 5 years.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus what caused the sudden spike of interest? I know that GTA has always been a good seller but V is something else.

Oct 29, 2017
GTAV on PS4 and XB1 is not a remaster, by any metric.

It is a cross-gen title just like most of the other games that released at the beginning of this console generation. The graphics - including lighting, textures, and many assets are completely different from the PS3/360 version, along with the addition of first person mode.

Difference with GTAV, is that the PS4/XB1 versions didn't launch at the same time as the PS3/360 versions.

It wasn't released on PS360 and PS4/Xbone at the same time, like other cross-gen titles. There's no difference between this and any other remaster. It's a version of the same game, re-released a year later, in higher resolution and with minor graphical enhancements.

The graphical bump was also a key marketing selling point used prior to release. It was released later in order to entice people to double dip.

It is a remaster.

DukeBlue

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Thats a lot. Kinda makes me wish peoples interest in videogames wasn't to homogeneous so that other types of genres would get some room to breathe.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
It wasn't released on PS360 and PS4/Xbone at the same time, like other cross-gen titles. There's no difference between this and any other remaster. It's a version of the same game, re-released a year later, in higher resolution and with minor graphical enhancements.

The graphical bump was also a key marketing selling point used prior to release. It was released later in order to entice people to double dip.

It is a remaster.

No it is not.

But, agree to disagree.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.webp

The hype for GTA VI is going to be nuclear at this rate.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
Not that surprising, I remember telling a story here or the other place. A friend coming home to pick me and go out. I was playing GTA V. Got carried away with time. Long story short I wasn't ready, game was running, friend played when getting ready. He liked it. Popped out the game, gave it to him.

I bought that game many times :), not even for me, mainly for friends that like that genre. To this date I haven't finished the main story of GTA V. I see a trend with the new RDR. Ohh well,

Wait for a switch port ;)

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A Switch version of anything is never really needed.

I'm glad with whatever we get on the Switch lol.

Still surprised they ported LA Noire.
Yeah I agree, it just tells me they probably aren't going to care about bringing it to the console since it's reached this milestone. It could still happen but I dunno it doesn't feel like a "given" anymore.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Got an XB1X in late August, and got GTA V about a month later when I saw it on sale for $19.49...having missed out on much of the latter PS360 era, I definitely wanted to check it out. Enjoyed the hell out of it, especially since the driving control felt much better than how I remembered GTA IV feeling, which made me tap out at some point so I never finished it.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Around 7.5 Billion people

/s

One of the answer is probably that GTAV is a must buy when you have a PS4/XBOX/PC. So, with 6 years in the market, enough time has passed so that people who couldn't buy/didn't want to buy the game now can (ie 8yo child is now 14 or something like that).
Then there are people who simply did not have a console to play GTAV on before, but recently bought it because of GoW/Spidey/RDR2 (for 2018). And so, just like Mario Kart on Nintendo consoles, it's not necessarily the first game you buy, but it is often the second one.
Also sales game has been cheapest I think 20 to 30 dollars now on all platforms at times

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
like zhuge said. everybody *new* who buys a console buys the game. at minimum there are ~126M consoles, not counting PC. so there's still 26M people on consoles without the game lol

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
the best selling game of the gen two gens in a row

nothing can stop the king until GTA6 :)

Damn! Well done! Now use that money to make more amazing games!

GTAV made Red Dead 1 feel small.

Red Dead 2 made GTAV feel small.

I have zero doubt that GTA6 will make Red Dead 2 feel small by the time it releases in 2022. It will be the game to end all games. Gross $2 billion in 24 hours. 30 million copies sold the first weekend. all that shit.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
It will just be an online mode at this point while most of Rockstar makes something else.

I'm only half joking because I wouldn't be completely stunned if they actually did that...

I know you're kidding but there's not a chance in hell VI will be Online only. Look at the sales of RDR2, which hasn't even shown a second of their Online mode yet. It also had R*'s biggest (and best) single player in terms of content. The Houser bros like to tell a story, they'll never give up SP.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Crazy, it's not even in my top 3 favorite GTA games. The online portion also seems slow, sluggish and tacked on from last gen so I never found any enjoyment in that - even though it's insanely popular.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Is it silly that i find this a little scary? I mean who knows what kind effect a game selling this high could have on the industry or Rockstar future titles. Maybe is just me bugging idk. Rdr2 seem to be a fine game. Lets see how they handle the online when it releases.