• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I have a specific question for which I can't find the answer to. It'd be very helpful if anyone here knew.

I'd like to try out GTAO for the first time with the free PS5 version, but if I like it I'll probably purchase it on Xbox Series to play with friends. Will I be able to carry over my progress? If yes, would that include stuff purchased in game with the 4M$ starting gift on PS5?

No, there isn't any cross platform progression and you can't transfer a character created on PS5 to Xbox.

May 14, 2021
I have a specific question for which I can't find the answer to. It'd be very helpful if anyone here knew.

I'd like to try out GTAO for the first time with the free PS5 version, but if I like it I'll probably purchase it on Xbox Series to play with friends. Will I be able to carry over my progress? If yes, would that include stuff purchased in game with the 4M$ starting gift on PS5?
You can't transfer from PS5 to Series X or vice versa. Only from previous gen consoles to current gen. You can move from PS4 to Series X or from Xbox One to PS5.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the answer! So this article is entirely wrong? Or can you only transfer a PS4 character on Xbox?

The transfer is just for bringing your last gen character to a current gen platform, so you can move from PS4 to Xbox (specifically to the new Series X version, not the original Xbox One version) and vise versa but even that comes with some caveats (eg. you can't move unspent bought currency between platforms, only currency earned in game). There is no platform transfer between characters created on the new versions.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
You can't transfer from PS5 to Series X or vice versa. Only from previous gen consoles to current gen. You can move from PS4 to Series X or from Xbox One to PS5.
The transfer is just for bringing your last gen character to a current gen platform, so you can move from PS4 to Xbox (specifically to the new Series X version, not the original Xbox One version) and vise versa but even that comes with some caveats (eg. you can't move unspent bought currency between platforms, only currency earned in game). There is no platform transfer between characters created on the new versions.
Thank you both! Feels a bit archaic but that's good to know.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Just for confirmation, this is what the migration menu in the game says:

dSBZZi0.png

Green

Oct 27, 2017

It is. But they did the same thing during the jump from 360/PS3 to XB1/PS4. Then they proceeded to update the heck out of online mode and leaving 360/PS3 in the dust over the years.

I imagine they have the same plans now for XSX/PS5. Wonder what more they have in store for stuff they couldn't do on last gen hardware.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why won't they allow me to transfer my TOON from PC?

Cheating hackers?

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
is the free money ($1,000,000) per month from PS4 version able to be transferred? if not, that's fucking stupid.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Hearing some of these dual sense upgrades makes me want the PS5 version, wasn't sure if that or the XSX ran better. 10 bucks cheaper doesn't hurt either.
Isn't GTA Online currently free for this month on PS5? I would recommend just downloading that. See if you like the dual sense features, then buy the new version if you dig it.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how much better this looks on PS5 compared to my PC.

Is the HDR implementation new to this release or has that been available on last gen + PC for awhile? It certainly goes a ways in the presentation.

I played it on PC ages ago and don't remember seeing anything for it in the options at the time.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
How are you supposed to effectively shoot while driving? Do they really expect me to claw the controller so I can hold aim on L1, accelerator on R2 and shoot on R1?

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
How are you supposed to effectively shoot while driving? Do they really expect me to claw the controller so I can hold aim on L1, accelerator on R2 and shoot on R1?

That's what I've ended up doing. This is also my third attempt at trying to finish the game and my big old galaxy brain just realised if you use Franklin's driving focus it acts as bullet time for drive by's.

DeepBlueDay

Jan 10, 2020
Hearing some of these dual sense upgrades makes me want the PS5 version, wasn't sure if that or the XSX ran better. 10 bucks cheaper doesn't hurt either.

I'm on Series X and the dual sense features/ impressions , especially in this game, make me really curious. It's the ONE feature that I'm missing on Xbox .
I really wonder what it feels like.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
I'm on Series X and the dual sense features/ impressions , especially in this game, make me really curious. It's the ONE feature that I'm missing on Xbox .
So out of morbid curiosity I picked up both. Dualsense features aren't game changing but their definitely a welcome addition. The biggest difference I've noticed is the input lag on the series x seems a lot more noticeable than on the PS5. Could just be me but the PS5 version just feels better to play in my opinion. Using game mode on an OLED B7.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
The haptics are really good. My favourite is the feeling of launching missiles in the Buzzard, it just gives it so much oomph.

Rockstar have phoned in a lot of stuff recently, so I was quite shocked at the amount of effort they put into the DualSense features. I assume they figure it's code they can roll into future games, so worth investing in.

Last edited:

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Any performance comparisons between SX and PS5? I have both consoles and want the best performance. Im leaning Xbox due to VRR.

Haven't noticed any frame drops on the ps5 in RT performance mode. The only thing I notice is the pop in and I'm not sure if the series X version is similar. The dual sense features are also a nice little addition.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Ive put a few hours into single player using performance RT on the PS5 and never noticed a single drop. And I'm pretty sensitive to drops

Haven't noticed any frame drops on the ps5 in RT performance mode. The only thing I notice is the pop in and I'm not sure if the series X version is similar. The dual sense features are also a nice little addition.
Thanks fam. I may go PS5 then. It's $10 bucks too.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021

Haptics kick in for things like water sprinkler being set off in the first mission and I imagine things like rain. Driving over different terrain is probably the most noticeable and you can feel individual planks of wood when driving over a wooden bridge, for example.

Triggers are hit and miss for me (as usual). I hate resistance when using the left trigger to aim as it doesn't make any sense and that's in play here (but not as strong as something like Resident Evil 8). There's also a click when shooting and it feels pretty similar to the Uncharted remaster.
Driving is where it's implemented well and you can feel a subtle difference between car engines (V8 move thee trigger a bit more) and also when the brakes lock up.

It's the sort thing where if I turned the features off after playing for a few hours the world would probably feel a little more lifeless. So I say that's a win for the implementation.

Last edited:

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can migrate just your story stuff right? I'm still might play online with PS4 peeps so Donny wanna migrate that till they do.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Why is GTAV PS5 in my library? I never bought the PS5 version and now I can't seem to be able to buy the $10 offer. :(

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I used to redeem free GTA money I think through the PS app even though I didn't have the game. Is that somehow on my account and I'll see it when I eventually jump into multiplayer here? I may also be completely off on this…it's been a while

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I used to redeem free GTA money I think through the PS app even though I didn't have the game. Is that somehow on my account and I'll see it when I eventually jump into multiplayer here? I may also be completely off on this…it's been a while
It should be there if you ever log into the PS4 version I think. Obviously if you start the PS5 version without a PS4 account to import then you won't have it.

Oct 27, 2017
I played GTAO this morning and I wanted to play Top Fun, but I could not find out how to do it. Can anyone tell me how to get into mini-games like this please? I appreciate that they want to keep everything consistent within the game world but I wish you could just choose this stuff easily from a menu.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Why is GTAV PS5 in my library? I never bought the PS5 version and now I can't seem to be able to buy the $10 offer. :(
You probably chose to download GTAO? That's what I did, then it wasn't clear how to access the PS5 version, but I think to get things to work you'll have to go into the PlayStation Store on your PS5 and there should be an option to buy the game (single player campaign) for $10.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
I'm having an extremely difficult time adjusting the HDR. any suggestions?
basically, contrast controls shadow detail, paper white is overall scene brightness, peak white/max luminance should be set to whatever amount of nits your display reaches as peak white. im still playing with it myself all the time, but finding the right paper white can be hard because of how the lighting changes

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
I'm having an extremely difficult time adjusting the HDR. any suggestions?

Personally, I lowered the contrast by 1 click to the left and the rest is on standard, I accidentally had Dynamic Tone Mapping activated for this with contrast lowered by 1 and rest standard and DTM makes it look incredible, so for this exception, I use DTM, while I normally use HGIG, of course, I know I know, but here it makes the HDR absolute fantastic. Just give it a try. Not a fan of most settings that got shared here like lowering paper white to the absolute minimum, that looks awful.