• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Before this E3 there was little hype for the game. Microsoft notoriously turned down an Xbox partnership for the game and handed it to Sony on a platter.

Last edited:

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
I can distinctly remember reading magazine previews of all the things you'd be able to do and thinking "oh shit, I need to pre-order this because it's gonna get banned and pulled from shelves"

Bought the game at launch before I even had a PS2.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
That's a bad trailer but i remember being crazy hyped for it. I remember reading every review the day they went live and anticipating the game like crazy

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have internet at the time so I didn't know how it looked.

The feelings I had going from GTA2 to GTA3 was insane to say the least.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
2000s were crazy for video game technical progress. In a 7 year span, we went from this (2001) to GTA IV (2008). 4 full games in that timespan.

Notably, it's now been 7 years since GTA V came out.

Aug 31, 2019
Being a fan of GTA 2, I was very excited to play GTA 3 when I first heard of it. I used to play it in a game rental store because I didn't have a PS2, I thought it was fantastic and full of possibilities.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh I remember being hyped for it. I remember wanting a game that merged GTA plus Driver. And then bam, GTA 3 appeared.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
I remember watching TV (I think Toonami actually) and watching a "car game with opera music trailer" and thinking it all looked so dumb and stupid. I didn't even like racing games! GTAIII is still my favorite GTA game, simply because of how it blew my mind!

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Microsoft notoriously turned down an Xbox partnership for the game and handed it to Sony on a platter.

A partnership that still exists to this day. But to be fair when GTA3 released the Xbox wasn't even out yet. It actually predates Xbox by a couple of weeks. Maybe they would have held it if a deal was in place.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
This game had incredible hype. I was on various forums of numerous fansites dedicated to it.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i remember loving GTA2 and not even hearing about 3 until it topped the NPD Chart. Pre-release hype sure wasn't that high in my perception and I did visit gaming forums frequently at that time.
This game had incredible hype. I was on various forums of numerous fansites dedicated to it.
definately not the perception I had... maybe I was on the wrong boards.

Dec 2, 2017
I was too young at the time for it maybe, I was only 8, but my brother had it in the house from launch until he moved out 5 years later and I never remember wanting to play it.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Before this E3 there was little hype for the game. Microsoft notoriously turned down an Xbox partnership for the game and handed it to Sony on a platter.

actually the bigger fail is that Nintendo didnt secure some kind of deal given how high rockstar was on N64.

Body Harvest is the real prequel to GTA 3 after all.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
Played it for an hour at a friend's house along with MGS2 in 2002. It really sold me on PS2 at the time. Amazing game.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually not one to consider the future of video games, but I'll always remember GTAIII being exactly what I thought the game would be like in 3D when I was playing the original. With games like Driver being out and letting you drive around in 3D, but not leave your vehicle or anything like that, it was easy to imagine the freedom of Grand Theft Auto in full 3D. GTAIII lived up to that perfectly.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
You would think saying, "its like GTA 2 but in 3D" would be enough to get anyone on board XD

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I pretty much disagree there. All the people who played the GTA series prior to GTA3 were super hyped about the game. I still remember it clearly. GTA2, 3 and vice city were and still remain the most memorable grand theft auto games for me. Its that GTA was as popular or known as it is now.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember some magazine reviews for it at the time - half page at most, buried among with everything else, just kind of put out there to be forgotten...

And when the game blew up, these same magazines were tripping over themselves to lay on the coverage. I'd call them hypocritical, but I probably would have overlooked the game too if they didn't do the about face.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
that's definitely not how i remember it... there was a lot of hype lol

especially those of us who played gta 1/2/69

also driver already had given us a sense of what was possible with this genre.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
GTA3 always brings back fond memories. Not so much for GTA3 itself but the countless hours and conversations friend and I had playing Body Harvest on the N64. We'd always start discussing how that game would be a base for the next gen GTA games.
The open 3D sandbox environment, different vehicles such as cars, planes, boats, tanks and emergency service vehicles. Many of the same vehicles carried over into 3 and vice city, most notibly the dune buggy and the Ice cream truck. The ice cream truck was extra cool because both Body Harvest and GTA versions used the same music for the trucks.

Lets just say my friend and I had massive hype for GTA3 when we first seen the screenshots and then playing the game. To some degree we nailed it and called the evolution of GTA.
Looking back its funny because we didn't realy have the internet for forums or even YouTube back then, just gaming magazines. For us it was our own video game dream that came true lol.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
2000s were crazy for video game technical progress. In a 7 year span, we went from this (2001) to GTA IV (2008). 4 full games in that timespan.

Notably, it's now been 7 years since GTA V came out.
Goddamn. To be fair they have been experimenting a lot with GTA Online and they have improved their visual/ai tech severely with RDR2.
Its probably going to be a 10 year span until GTA VI, but once it is out, it's going to be mind numbing stuff.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
I played a lot of GTA2 on Dreamcast with my brother, so I knew the potential for a full 3D version was there. Then I bought it and it was amazing.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Thus ending Rockstar's use of E3. The Housers were incredibly pissed that State of Emergency was garnering more attention at the expo over GTA3. lol

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately for me, I didn't have a disposable income but I was super hyped for it well before it was actually released.
Thats awesome. I love hearing stories about people being excited for a game well before the big hype started. I remember hearing stories of people being excited for Halo CE well before it blew up because they played Marathon on macs. This rarely happens to me personally. I guess i played CoD1 on PC well before it became the biggest franchise in gaming. I remember trying to get people to buy it and they couldn't care less.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Except for me! I loved this trailer. Played GTA 1 and 2 to death as a kid. I was really excited when i found out they where going 3D with the next one.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I'll tell you who was interested and that is this guy. I spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours on message boards discussing the rumors, new screenshots, etc. One of the most anticipated releases of my childhood by far, and at a time when I had really fallen deep in to the world of message boards/forums.

Deleted member 3203

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sunny canada
a friend of mine rented it from Blockbuster on its first weekend. i remember thinking he'd wasted his money. he brought it over, and slowly we got hooked. the big revelation was when he stole an ambulance, accidentally pressed down L3 (or R3) and triggered an ambulance mission. we were like, "holy crap. a mini game!?" and we just did that and taxi missions all night.

GTA3 is probably my most played game. to this day i still know every inch of the OG Liberty City.

Oct 25, 2017
I would have completely overlooked it myself if it wasn't for my brother. It was his most hyped game before it released and through him showing me videos of it I started anticipating it as well.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
The word of mouth for this was insane.

Yep, THIS is what lead to the insane popularity of this game. This game didnt really get that much attention until word of mouth started spreading and it blew up. Even gaming press didnt give it too much attention (Though it was the early internet days), which is funny in hindsight.

Jun 15, 2020
I think there might be some misremembering going on here. The game was not hyped on a widespread scale, the E3 where it was shown, it was a complete afterthought (even to Rockstar's own State of Emergency, which I was just joking about above). I just recently watched a Giant Bomb video where they discussed this actually. GTA 1, 2, and their spin-offs had a cult audience, and they were excited, but it was not huge numbers of people.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I wasn't excited for it at all. I had GTA 2 and my friends and I would take turns just wreaking havoc. The move to 3D turned me off big time. I never picked up 3 until after Vice City if I recall.

I also wasn't interested in Mario 64 coming from World. My parents even rented a N64 from Blockbuster to try it out and when the week was up we decided we still liked the Super Nintendo more so we didn't upgrade at the time (But a few months later we did anyways lol).

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thats awesome. I love hearing stories about people being excited for a game well before the big hype started. I remember hearing stories of people being excited for Halo CE well before it blew up because they played Marathon on macs. This rarely happens to me personally. I guess i played CoD1 on PC well before it became the biggest franchise in gaming. I remember trying to get people to buy it and they couldn't care less.

A kind of example of this is Celeste, the lead behind it worked on TowerFall and even before that they'd been working on awesome platformers for years, so Celeste wasn't as "out of nowhere" as most people seem to treat it

Oct 25, 2017
whats the best way to play this in 2021? i have a pc but i can only imagine how shit it would be to try to run on modern OS

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
The word of mouth for this was insane.
Yup. I was pretty young back then and GTA 1-2 was a distant memory of a game that I didn't find very interesting.
I had seen and heard absolutely nothing on GTA III as I was simply not interested.

One of my best friend was the first of us to get a PS2 and told I had to see it for myself... Mindblown.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
At first I remember being underwhelmed by the graphics, especially when we seen footage of the The Getaway

But then when more footage and info about the game released.. and playing games like GTA 2... I was fucking hyped!

Oct 28, 2017
A kind of example of this is Celeste, the lead behind it worked on TowerFall and even before that they'd been working on awesome platformers for years, so Celeste wasn't as "out of nowhere" as most people seem to treat it
True. I also remember one person who was a fan of GTA before 3. I just assumed he was over selling GTA2 at the time and just ignored it. Then 3 came out and the industry changed honestly.