• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Seems like a decent grappler. Reminds me more of a SNK guy in terms of moveset, like Raiden.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are just jumping to conclusions based off a questionable translation. The character is either a cis female or transmale who misgenders himself.

The first seems more likely.

No-one is jumping to conclusions, the game states pretty explicitly that Ladiva is trans. And the localization is strong so it's not a mistake.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
It looks like they have General RAAM style stomps? Super sick if that is the case.

Unfortunately none of the characters revealed for this game really do anything for me yet.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I think people are just jumping to conclusions based off a questionable translation. The character is either a cis female or transmale who misgenders himself.

The first seems more likely.

As has already been pointed out to you, Draphs have some severe sexual demorphism. So, there's absolutely no ambiguity here. She's trans.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
It looks like they have General RAAM style stomps? Super sick if that is the case.

Unfortunately none of the characters revealed for this game really do anything for me yet.
@ me if someone has General RAAM's shank and stomp.

400ytM5.png

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
So, if I want to play one game of this series to be ready for the VS fighting game, wich one should I buy?

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As has already been pointed out to you, Draphs have some severe sexual demorphism. So, there's absolutely no ambiguity here. She's trans.
No-one is jumping to conclusions, the game states pretty explicitly that Ladiva is trans. And the localization is strong so it's not a mistake.
I can read Japanese.

1. Official Source: https://granbluefantasy.jp/pages/?p=5496
2. Definition: https://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/漢女
3. Example of this character archetype: https://danganronpa.fandom.com/wiki/Sakura_Ogami

Interested to hear your replies.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So, if I want to play one game of this series to be ready for the VS fighting game, wich one should I buy?

The main game is a mobile phone JRPG, also on PC.

But you wouldn't need to because they're probably going in with the assumption that this is the first time a lot of players in the West have heard of Granblue Fantasy.

Alternatively there is also an Anime adaptation, but by most accounts it's not very good.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
I can read Japanese.

3. Example of this character archetype: https://danganronpa.fandom.com/wiki/Sakura_Ogami

Sakura and Ladiva are totally different cases. Ladiva can't be in a female body because there simple can't be a female Draph of that size. Not even close. I don't think they can even be as tall as your average human.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sakura and Ladiva are totally different cases. Ladiva can't be in a female body because there simple can't be a female Draph of that size. Not even close. I don't think they can even be as tall as your average human.
So you are going to disregard everything because you think it's unthinkable that heights can vary?
2m超えの巨漢ではあるが、プレイアブルキャラになっているドラフの男性としては最も小柄であったりする。
They deliberately made the character shorter than every single male Draph in the game.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I can read Japanese.

From her Cross fate episode with Cagliostro.

Cagliostro: By the way... Do you ever feel like you want to be something else?

Ladiva: Well, this is coming out of nowhere.

Cagliostro: I can change a lot with my alchemy, you know—like a child into an adult. Or the masculine into the feminine.

Cagliostro: If you want, I could theoretically make that happen for you too.

Cagliostro: But it's just supposition. You don't have to—

Ladiva: Hehe. That sounds great. But I have to refuse.

Ladiva: Because my parents gave me this body. It's my treasure.

Ladiva gives Cagliostro a smile, who returns the expression without realizing it.

Cagliostro: Hehe... Hahaha! I get it! So that's the kind of person you are!

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From her Cross fate episode with Cagliostro.
Not sure what your point is? She is depicted as a straight woman with the heart of a maiden who happens to have traditionally 'masculine' musculature. And she doesn't care to change that.

Also please stop bandying about these English translations.

The character is officially described as 漢女. A word that is in her profile, skill name and her own dialogue.

I have no idea why some people are being stubborn.
I assumed the character was supposed to be a gay man while playing it, but a few seconds in google makes it very plain.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really follow Granblue much but it's nice to see that it looks like they're not limiting themselves to the more popular or recognisable characters for this.

I'm curious how large the full roster will be.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
None of my favorites have been announced thus far, but Ladiva's a good choice.

I'm impressed that the roster in terms of popularity thus far has been "fairly popular" without being "Omega Obvious. Top of every popularity poll. Marked on every poster and merchandise sticker" choices. It has me genuinely curious to see who they'll add next.
Cagli when.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can read Japanese.

I don't get it. You just put a bunch of link and explained nothing. If you are wondering why people are being "stubborn", it's because you just went "look at this!" and expected people to just understand what you're getting at.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of my favorites have been announced thus far, but Ladiva's a good choice.

I'm impressed that the roster in terms of popularity thus far has been "fairly popular" without being "Omega Obvious. Top of every popularity poll. Marked on every poster and merchandise sticker" choices. It has me genuinely curious to see who they'll add next.

That's what DLC characters are for. The base roster is a couple of those, plus chars to round out the archetypes needed for a fighting game.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. You just put a bunch of link and explained nothing. If you are wondering why people are being "stubborn", it's because you just went "look at this!" and expected people to just understand what you're getting at.
If you cant read it you should ask. Not continue to peddle your fan theories as fact.

This isn't directed at you but the others who called me out and then disappeared as usual.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Goatee and pecs....yet you're acting as if it's expected to assume those are traits of a female. OKAY
They can be, they just usually aren't

I think your argument would be better phrased as, without having any knowledge of the series, people would think that the character is male or a gay man. I can see someone assuming female because of the hair but once hearing the character's voice actor, doubt themselves.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
If you cant read it you should ask. Not continue to peddle your fan theories as fact.
I mean, the onus is on you since this is an English forum. I'd argue with you, but I can't make out your thought process - 漢女 is a woman with masculine traits, sure, but Ladiva clearly has the male physical features of her dimorphic species despite identifying and being referred to as a woman. Your interpretation is no more correct than anyone else's.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, this is embarrassing. As a Japanese person, arguing with people here about Japan makes me sick.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damn! The anime style fidelity is insane. ASW should do some JRPG after this.

Feb 15, 2019
Yeah this game still looks pretty sick. Still a bit concerned about some of the mechanics, primarily what seems to be the cooldown mechanic. But the characters definitely all look fun and unique.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
It seems more like some tongue-in-cheek thing than the developers actually acknowledging trans people.
This is accurate for Ladiva. She's not intended to be a positive portrayal of trans people, she's a bog-standard okama. An extremely common Japanese media trope that tosses together all of a straight writer's ideas of LGBTQ "deviancy" into one archetype that's completely disconnected from real world LGBTQ identities. Sexuality is usually not a major aspect of the characters to make them as nonthreatening as possible (They typically "love everyone") and they show up everywhere, including in children's media.

People are saying she's not the butt of jokes, but that isn't really accurate (And also, like, totally wrong in GBVS? Lowain is clearly pretty grossed out by the pin super in the trailer). A hyper-masculine bodybuilder looking character with a goatee talking in an exaggerated falsetto and presenting as a woman is the joke. It's a very bad joke that subtly suggests the concept of LGBTQ people is absurd and couldn't possibly exist in the real world.

It's great if you find some value in characters like her, but it's either a product of the localization or of viewing them through a different cultural lens. I think okama are pretty terrible, and this makes me a lot less excited about the game!

Cagliostro would be much better as a trans character (Though she's definitely not perfect either), and Ghandagoza would be much better as a big body grappler.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not playing this game, but I like how she has Rider Kicks for everyone. Maybe she'll be in the RPG they're making too!

If you just want a Rider you should hope Nicholas makes it in the RPG. He is pretty much a Kamen Rider, even has a Rider Kick and a final form where he goes golden.

480px-Nicholas_NPC.png

480px-Npc_zoom_3030141000_01.png

480px-Npc_zoom_3030141000_02.png

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
It means discomfort... From being pinned by a large body.
That seems like an awfully naive read to me. Lowain is an idiot playboy bro and Ladiva is an exaggerated okama wrestler with an outfit that emphasizes her crotch and a passive in the original game that gives her a bonus for each male party member around. And you think Lowain is uncomfortable being on the receiving end of a spread-eagle pin because she's... large? Give me a break.

I expect this to be an expression unique to Lowain, because Arcsys loves doing stuff like that and he's 1000% the type of character to react that way as a cheap gag. There's no doubt in my mind that he'd have a different reaction if it was a different grappler, that would probably more closely resemble the actual "anime character getting fucking KO'd" face he makes for the Rider Kick.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
This is accurate for Ladiva. She's not intended to be a positive portrayal of trans people, she's a bog-standard okama. An extremely common Japanese media trope that tosses together all of a straight writer's ideas of LGBTQ "deviancy" into one archetype that's completely disconnected from real world LGBTQ identities. Sexuality is usually not a major aspect of the characters to make them as nonthreatening as possible (They typically "love everyone") and they show up everywhere, including in children's media.

People are saying she's not the butt of jokes, but that isn't really accurate (And also, like, totally wrong in GBVS? Lowain is clearly pretty grossed out by the pin super in the trailer). A hyper-masculine bodybuilder looking character with a goatee talking in an exaggerated falsetto and presenting as a woman is the joke. It's a very bad joke that subtly suggests the concept of LGBTQ people is absurd and couldn't possibly exist in the real world.

It's great if you find some value in characters like her, but it's either a product of the localization or of viewing them through a different cultural lens. I think okama are pretty terrible, and this makes me a lot less excited about the game!

Cagliostro would be much better as a trans character (Though she's definitely not perfect either), and Ghandagoza would be much better as a big body grappler.

TBH, this is also my take on the situation. Especially with the music cd with Ladiva, Clarrise and Sen, just playing her up as contrast to those two, and a joking contrast.

Even Cagliostro has some issues in that Clarisse will repeatedly call her Oji san (basically old man) and Cagliostro will get violent over it in their event.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That seems like an awfully naive read to me. Lowain is an idiot playboy bro and Ladiva is an exaggerated okama wrestler with an outfit that emphasizes her crotch and a passive in the original game that gives her a bonus for each male party member around. And you think Lowain is uncomfortable being on the receiving end of a spread-eagle pin because she's... large? Give me a break.

I expect this to be an expression unique to Lowain, because Arcsys loves doing stuff like that and he's 1000% the type of character to react that way as a cheap gag. There's no doubt in my mind that he'd have a different reaction if it was a different grappler, that would probably more closely resemble the actual "anime character getting fucking KO'd" face he makes for the Rider Kick.

Lowain is absolutely not the type of character that would do that. He is very accepting and loving in the original game. Hell, the last event he was featured in had a scene where he read another character's yaoi light novel and he was very supportive of the whole thing, so Arcsys got the wrong read on the character if that's how they made him.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ladiva is a cool, refreshing character design. :) I had no idea Granblue had a transwoman.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
Lowain is absolutely not the type of character that would do that. He is very accepting and loving in the original game. Hell, the last event he was featured in had a scene where he read another character's yaoi light novel and he was very supportive of the whole thing, so Arcsys got the wrong read on the character if that's how they made him.
That's fair. I didn't play that event, so I can accept that I might not be reading him completely correctly either.

I guess I'll wait and see how other characters react to it, but it's fine if other people don't see anything wrong with the attack in light of that.

That's pretty low on my list of problems with Ladiva and her archetype in general though.

user__

Oct 25, 2017
Damn the art in this game is top notch. It looks like a super high quality anime!
They are really improving. I was afraid they would give up in trying to improve the resemblance to drawn animated graphics, and deviating in a stile of their own, but I'm happy I was wrong. This sequence it's incredible.

Feb 15, 2019
That's fair. I didn't play that event, so I can accept that I might not be reading him completely correctly either.

I guess I'll wait and see how other characters react to it, but it's fine if other people don't see anything wrong with the attack in light of that.

That's pretty low on my list of problems with Ladiva and her archetype in general though.

Not only did he read a yaoi light novel and provided criticism with absolutely no judgment, before that his two other bros were scared of a biker gang that's also part of their crew and Lowain had to remind them that you shouldn't judge by looks and stood up for them when he has never even talked to them before. He might be a wannabe playboy but he's a pretty good dude.

modewarp

Oct 25, 2017
TBH, this is also my take on the situation. Especially with the music cd with Ladiva, Clarrise and Sen, just playing her up as contrast to those two, and a joking contrast.

Even Cagliostro has some issues in that Clarisse will repeatedly call her Oji san (basically old man) and Cagliostro will get violent over it in their event.

I think it's the case of a character's portrayal evolving over time. While it may have been a bit of a gag in her original introduction and fate ep, she's for the most part been played pretty straight, and as people have pointed out her stature is never really the butt of a joke, and there's never (that I can recall) a negative interaction with the crew. Personally I think she's a really fun character, and always enjoy when she shows up. SSR Ladiva when?

Clarisse and Cag's situation is a little more.... complicated....lore wise, and I'm not about to dip into that minefield on this forum.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
So good timing, the next monthly event set to start soon is featuring Ladiva. Like everything else with this character it seems like her portrayal will have some... positive and negative aspects.

On the one hand, Ladiva is basically a... magical transgender? there just to help everyone else rather than be an actual character. On the other hand, there was also a leaked picture from a magazine advertisement that suggests maybe Cygames is actually going to address the core issue at the heart of Ladiva's design?

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018

I'm glad I'm not the only person thinking of this; I thought I was going insane.