• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's the point of the RPG mode when they have an action RPG coming at some point? No one played the extra modes for their other fighters (except Golden mode from Arena 2 that one was pretty neat) so this just seems like a waste of time. Just make the weapon skins buyable or something.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
11 characters?

Vira is going to be used as bait for buying the season pass... isn't she? T_T

Still Day 1 for me though.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I wasn't interested in this until this RPG mode got announced. Gonna have to look into this more.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of the RPG mode when they have an action RPG coming at some point? No one played the extra modes for their other fighters (except Golden mode from Arena 2 that one was pretty neat) so this just seems like a waste of time. Just make the weapon skins buyable or something.
Funny, all the GBF players that i know are hyped as hell for the RPG mode, AND for Granblue Fantasy : ReLink. Lemme take a wild guess : The more extra content for the GBF players, the better ? And also, that RPG mode could be a gateway for people to try Granblue Fantasy on mobile ?

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Lol if Relink has more playable characters. 11 characters is very disappointing especially if DLC characters are nearly 50% of the roster.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Funny, all the GBF players that i know are hyped as hell for the RPG mode, AND for Granblue Fantasy : ReLink. Lemme take a wild guess : The more extra content for the GBF players, the better ? And also, that RPG mode could be a gateway for people to try Granblue Fantasy on mobile ?
Well they can keep playing GBF if they want an RPG. I just want more characters to play in the game that's all about characters fighting. This is just a waste of time and resources.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

People have been clamoring for more substantial single player content in fighting games for ages.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People have been clamoring for more substantial single player content in fighting games for ages.
By people who don't actually care about playing a fighting game.

A waste of time and ressources ? But it will probably bring more sales.
That only ever applies to MK/Injustice because that's their "thing". Any fighter that does it never sees any bump in sales (or players) other than those games. Again, whatever time they're wasting on this could be better used on literally anything else.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That only ever applies to MK/Injustice because that's their "thing". Any fighter that does it never sees any bump in sales (or players) other than those games. Again, whatever time they're wasting on this could be better used on literally anything else.

But they already have people that love Granblue Fantasy, and giving them that type of content will make them but the fighting game. ESPECIALLY the coop content. This is very smart.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I suspect Relink is going for cross-gen and will have more detail once Versus has released and the PS5 is shown off, since 'more news in December at GranblueFes' seem like it's a little further away than I thought at the start of the year.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're being elitist here. The property is a non fighting game so a majority of the fan-base will come from non fighting game background. This gives them something to do so they don't have to stress over the fighting game aspects to feel comfortable with the gameplay.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're being elitist here. The property is a non fighting game so a majority of the fan-base will come from non fighting game background. This gives them something to do so they don't have to stress over the fighting game aspects to feel comfortable with the gameplay.
That's what Arcade mode is for.

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
YES holy crap GBF in HD on my TV. Loved the beta and now I am so excited for the RPG mode

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
that was 10 years ago! Plus that's one more character than a game 10 years later.
I know but my point is a small roster doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of the game for me so I ultimately have no issue with a small roster. I don't think a game is worth more if it has a lot of characters as for all I know the game could still be trash which has been the case before both large and small.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not that big on fighters so that's fine for me. I just hope the RPG mode is good enough for the amount of effort they put into it.

DBFZ story mode got old fast.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RPG element reminds me of Dragon's Crown which is always a plus for me, will be there day 1.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Man q1 is cramped.

But i'm in, day one.

11 characters is fine for a brand new franchise

EH...

I'd say 12 is the bare minimum you should be releasing in a new fighting game in 2020, even if it is a more SF2 experience.

You are literally forgetting that they're going to try and lure in the already extremely large fanbase of the gatcha with this. There is nothing that would send them running to the hills faster than a bare bones 16 character fighter that has nothing to do but fight other people. Remember how bad the SF5 launch was regarding that.

This is probably the smartest thing they could have done given the property and the clientel.

I'm not that big on fighters so that's fine for me. I just hope the RPG mode is good enough for the amount of effort they put into it.

DBFZ story mode got old fast.

DBFZ story mode was just bad though. It was a glorified combo practice system with nothing interesting or meritable beyond drooling over the creepy backstory of 21.

This looks more like Soul Calibur 6 and Guilty Gear Isuka's single player modes combined, which is a neat idea.

Last edited:

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

In addition, Cygames is offering rare in game rewards for purchasing this game to players of their f2p Granblue Fantasy RPG game, so they definitely want those fans to purchase this game as well. An RPG mode will help further encourage that for those that don't play fighting games normally/may not be that interested in the fighting game aspect.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
In addition, Cygames is offering rare in game rewards for purchasing this game to players of their f2p Granblue Fantasy RPG game, so they definitely want those fans to purchase this game as well. An RPG mode will help further encourage that for those that don't play fighting games normally/may not be that interested in the fighting game aspect.
Man the cross promotion for this stuff is gonna be EXTREME.

I wonder if I can sell my rewards for a few cups of coffee.

Oct 27, 2017
I spend less time a month working at my job than it would take me to grind in Granblue for the rewards they're giving out for buying this game. I'm not bothered by the small roster because I know they're going to hugely expand on it. None of my favorite characters were announced or even hinted at so I'm just buying it to support the idea of Versus at this point.

I wonder if they'll do a fight money system for unlocking DLC characters. It would be a perfect fit considering how you unlock new characters in the original Granblue Fantasy.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if I can sell the code or whatever they give out. I have enough Gacha games right now lol

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping it was gonna be further off to get more characters lol. 11 is also just weird number, I think most people were expecting 12 as the worst case.

I'm usually the first one to defend new IPs/new big entries having smaller rosters, but you'd hope for bit more considering Cygames is a company that can't spend its money fast enough and the main appeal of GBF is its huge roster of cool varied characters. Especially since the current ones the announced are kiiiiinda weak.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I spend less time a month working at my job than it would take me to grind in Granblue for the rewards they're giving out for buying this game. I'm not bothered by the small roster because I know they're going to hugely expand on it. None of my favorite characters were announced or even hinted at so I'm just buying it to support the idea of Versus at this point.

I wonder if they'll do a fight money system for unlocking DLC characters. It would be a perfect fit considering how you unlock new characters in the original Granblue Fantasy.

I mean, let's not get crazy.

After 2 seasons of the game, I totally expect this game's roster to be complete at 18, 20 if it's a wild success.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Might be one of the first fighting games I get really into, the RPG mode is just that appealing

Hope it's accessible enough to people not too familiar with the IP though, but it looks like it's maybe a retelling?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Might be one of the first fighting games I get really into, the RPG mode is just that appealing

Hope it's accessible enough to people not too familiar with the IP though, but it looks like it's maybe a retelling?

Season 2 of the anime is starting in the fall, so that should help things.

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this wasn't hitting 2019 and that's perfectly fine take your time with this game. The RPG mode looks like a good recreation of the mobile game which is cool. The 11 character roster is .... fine by me but is really gonna hurt in capturing a wider audience. They should really consider having the base game at a reduced price or having the season pass at reduced price or even free like SamSho.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
Damn, i was hoping at least 14 characters...especially since most of the move lists seem pretty small....but do I have the willpower to wait on buying it....

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

A retelling kinda makes it less appealing to me. Much more so if it's a Gran-exclusive retelling.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Doubting that all five of those additional characters from the pass would be ready by August in the highly likely event that it's included at Evo 2020. Still quite positive that Vira and Narmaya will be among them either way, too much money in it to expect otherwise.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2020 eh? Kinda expected a delay.
RPG mode looks neat, they even got the weapon grid from the mobile game. That's a nice touch.

I'm not too fussed about 11 characters. Sure that's not a lot but I already have a character I like in this game so it doesn't really matter much to me. I'll be there day 1, definitely.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is the Japanese release date btw.

English official website also says as much.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The full RPG mode brings my interest for this game to new heights. Literally a brawler inside a versus game.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
And I thought we had nailed cell shading on PS2. Arc Sys are wizards, this looks better than both actual animes, and 3D animes like Knights of Sidonia or Ultraman.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Super disappointed at 11 characters. Here's hoping they get out those DLC characters ASAP after launch.