• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good that's one less game I have to care about.

Now if only Arc wasn't making them I game I could go back to not giving a shit about Granblue.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I contacted Cygames to see if they could specify a few things (if Platinum's work is still in place, if they're being credited in the game, if there's any further context they can provide), but was only told: "Regarding Granblue Fantasy: Relink, we cannot answer anything more than what we've announced at our official site today. We appreciate your understanding."

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good that's one less game I have to care about.

Now if only Arc wasn't making them I game I could go back to not giving a shit about Granblue.
Just because it's a mobile based franchise? It has a more fleshed out world than most of console RPGs have these days. Also manages to focus on and develop several characters, while many of the japanese console RPGs seem to be more about mute guys and their harems.

Relink still looks high quality and I don't think Platinum was doing stuff on it recently already.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Game looked fantastic when they demoed it last month and my impression was that Cygames has been handling the bulk of the development anyway so I'm not too worried about the quality of the game. Regardless it's still a shame that Platinum weren't able to see the game through to completion, hopefully it doesn't have a huge negative impact on them.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just because it's a mobile based franchise? It has a more fleshed out world than most of console RPGs have these days. Also manages to focus on and develop several characters, while many of the japanese console RPGs seem to be more about mute male guys and their harems.

Relink still looks high quality and I don't think Platinum was doing stuff on it recently already.
I just have little to no interest in the series based on what I've seen. The fact that it still doesn't have an "official" English release doesn't help.(yes I know it's apparently super easy to play in English but I just don't care enough to try.)

Frankly I doubt I'll even try the Arc game. I'll just wait for Persona 5 Arena.

Oct 25, 2017
I contacted Cygames to see if they could specify a few things (if Platinum's work is still in place, if they're being credited in the game, if there's any further context they can provide), but was only told: "Regarding Granblue Fantasy: Relink, we cannot answer anything more than what we've announced at our official site today. We appreciate your understanding."

That seems troubling.
I feel something really bad happened if it comes out that Lost Order got canned. But we'll wait and see

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see much to talk about here. Platinum was contracted to work for X amount of time or until Y development checkpoint was reached. Their work isn't being scrubbed, they've made the vast majority of the game. (Last they said, it was 70% complete?)

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Don't know why people are trying to spin this as "Platinum finished their job so now Cygames is going to finish it"

I seriously doubt that game development works like that, and that there is no way that publisher is going to announce a team leaving a game as a positive

Also, if you "complete" your work on a game your logo is NOT removed from the game page/credits.

Simply, this has not worked.

At this point i guess it is not wise to ask Platinum to develop something which is not an action game. :)

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Meh, once the next gameplay trailer pops out and it's exactly the same quality as the previous trailers, business would be back to normal.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this doesn't mean the combat isn't shaping up well. I'd hate to see a promising RPG run into development issues because the combat was too ambitious. But we know next to nothing so better off not speculating I guess.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
So is the game in trouble or is platinum just out?

Game looked incredible from early footage. Hope it doesn't get cancelled

Platinum is out/their contract isn't being renewed, Cygames will finish the rest of the game. Based on the game being removed from Platinum's website and all Platinum Games references being removed, posters are speculating that there is some "behind the scenes drama" going on, but besides that development is still moving forward.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
🤔🤔🤔

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Just because it's a mobile based franchise? It has a more fleshed out world than most of console RPGs have these days. Also manages to focus on and develop several characters, while many of the japanese console RPGs seem to be more about mute guys and their harems.

Some people just refuse to get over the idea that not every mobile game is a cheaply made/looking, exploitative cash in. Especially a game like Granblue which is generally way less exploitative than their favorite AAA franchise or big name company.

It's not worth giving these people the time of day if they don't care enough.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
There's something I dont get though: Isnt the game originally running on Platinum Games' engine ?

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well my interest is completely lost.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda worried about Cygames and Platinum removing each other's logo from their respective websites regarding Relink. In the worst case I could see it as the contract facing early termination (though technically at this point it's not really early considering how long it's been in development and how it's been delayed). Regardless if Cygames feels that the work that Platinum did was enough and is confident they can finish development, then hopefully they can still put out a really solid product in the end. The game's still a fair bit away from completion since it was only announced to be at 60% two months ago, but hopefully we see and hear more during the stream next month.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
And now, for a bold hypothesis:
What if they exited the development because someone bought Platinum Games?

It's a possibility but doesn't make sense.
Look at Obsidian as an example : MS bought them but they had a contract that they have to respect so they are finishing their last multiplatform game before they join MS completely.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I assume they're referring to the failure of Scalebound and that the success of Nier Automata literally saved the studio from the brink of closure. So every game matters.
And now, for a bold hypothesis:
What if they exited the development because someone bought Platinum Games?
You don't buy a company and tell them renege on existing contracts. Firstly, you're devaluing the company you just bought, and secondly you're instantly losing trust with partners.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kinda worried about Cygames and Platinum removing each other's logo from their respective websites regarding Relink. In the worst case I could see it as the contract facing early termination (though technically at this point it's not really early considering how long it's been in development and how it's been delayed). Regardless if Cygames feels that the work that Platinum did was enough and is confident they can finish development, then hopefully they can still put out a really solid product in the end. The game's still a fair bit away from completion since it was only announced to be at 60% two months ago, but hopefully we see and hear more during the stream next month.
For whatever reason I was under the impression we wouldn't see the game for a long while again. Are they supposed to be showing it off again soon then?

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they're referring to the failure of Scalebound and that the success of Nier Automata literally saved the studio from the brink of closure. So every game matters.

I know that, but that was two years ago. That's not really "lately".
Probably doesn't help people are spreading FUD about Babylon's Fall

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I know that, but that was two years ago. That's not really "lately".
Probably doesn't help people are spreading FUD about Babylon's Fall
2 years ago is extremely "lately" when they haven't released a single game since then.

They need their current projects to be (commercially) successful, that's a given, because they have little financial security to fall back on at this point.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
None of the official statements read like Cygames is just going to scrap all of the work Platinum put into this game for the past 2-3 years. I don't see what the big deal is... seems like that was enough time for Platinum to contribute whatever parts of the gameplay system or mechanics they needed to.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
None of the official statements read like Cygames is just going to scrap all of the work Platinum put into this game for the past 2-3 years. I don't see what the big deal is... seems like that was enough time for Platinum to contribute whatever parts of the gameplay system or mechanics they needed to.
Why the need to remove the Platinum logo? Game is going to use their work without being credited? This is rather odd.

Edit: anticipated by Stef (ciao Stefano!)

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In the last 2 years in terms of PG projects:

- Scalebound was canceled after over 3 years of development
- 2 mobile titles they were working on went MIA (both were supposed to come out by 2018)
- They got completely removed from a project (this one) that was supposed to be out by 2018 also

As much as I like PG, I think everything points to them being the issue. It always seemed odd that they were juggling so many projects at once given their size.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
Again: then why removing the Platinum Games logo?

Why the need to remove the Platinum logo? Game is going to use their work without being credited? This is rather odd.

If their logo is completely absent from the final product (i.e. nowhere on the box or anything), then yes that's worrisome. But for now it could have been a clause in the contract that while Cygames is handling 100% of the development, only their logos are present. Looking too far into something like missing logos from a webpage feels silly to me, considering we know very little about what the development contracts looked like.

This could either end up being a case where Platinum's work was completely scrapped because the game's development or their relationship went sour (official statements saying the contract simply "ended" don't make that sound like the the case), or it could be a case where we come back to this thread in a year and laugh at the overreaction. We'll have to wait and see.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
For whatever reason I was under the impression we wouldn't see the game for a long while again. Are they supposed to be showing it off again soon then?

Maybe, march is the fifth year anniversay of granblue, and while they don't have a big stream or anything around that time. They might have a video upload or something by then.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe, march is the fifth year anniversay of granblue, and while they don't have a big stream or anything around that time. They might have a video upload or something by then.

They actually do have a big stream coming up for their 5th anniversary. This month's edition of KoreGra said it's gonna be on March 9th. Most of it will be about actual granblue (and just the general fun dicking around they do on their streams), but they are going to talk more about Versus and Relink there so expect more news/trailers to pop up on youtube and other websites around then.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Uh? CyGames own everything Platinum worked on and can use it as they see fit. That's what contracted work is. The cult of Platinum games haha.
Cult? Giving developers who spent a lot of time working on a game no credit isn't right, this isn't a company fanboy thing it's common sense.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both developers removing traces from their work together on their respective sites makes me think this wasn't a simple "our contract's done" affair...

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
The characters/world look very bland and generic. So i agree with him/her.

I thought the characters looked pretty cool

iyQMUxI.jpg

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Why are we so hasty and dramatic with announcements like this?

From the Apex Legends stuff to this.

Why not take a wait and see approach?

We are way too extreme here with stuff like this. It's very odd to me. People completely dropping the game because a developer finished their contracted hours? What in the world?!

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly fine to me. The last gameplay video looked great and this game has been in development for a while now, so Platinum had plenty of time to work on it. As long as this game doesn't get cancelled I think it will do fine.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
It's honestly fine to me. The last gameplay video looked great and this game has been in development for a while now, so Platinum had plenty of time to work on it. As long as this game doesn't get cancelled I think it will do fine.

Same- it looks like a better version of Ni No Kuni II to me. Hell, if it reviews decently it might be the game that finally gets me to break down and buy a ps4, since I kinda doubt a pc version is in the works.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot you can criticise Granblue Fantasy for but bland designs is not one of those things. Hideo Minaba is one of the best artists in the industry.