• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

icecream

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I am reading into things-but both MS and CyGames dropping them in the past two years makes me question their ability to manage work. Cannot be a coincidence. Certainly not good for them financially.
It might be more that perhaps Platinum can't handle AA-AAA level work on a huge scale, and that's why both MS and Cygames (who were aiming for that level of game) dropped contracts with them.

All of their other projects are smaller scale (Nier Automata included) and that might be where their most effective zone is.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
At the end of the day this doesn't really matter so long as the gameplay still looks good.

Like, do people think Cygames just scrap everything and start from scratch? lol.

Do people think Platinum just took their 'combat system' and go home?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
If development was going so poorly that Cygames decided to move development in house, I wonder how much of PG's work is worth salvaging to them anyway. Nintendo is unlikely to use much, if any, of Namco's work on MP4. Square Enix is just as unlikely to use any of CC2's work on FF7R.

Definitely worried about the future of Platinum here. This isn't the first high profile game of theirs hitting roadblocks and shutdowns. As for Re:Link itself, I'm not entirely concerned for its future. Cygames has the resources to do it in house, and in choosing to work with PG in the first place, they clearly had a distinct vision for the game. They're not going to suddenly change it to something completely unrecognizable now that they're not longer working with PG. It's still going to be an action RPG with cool combat.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If development was going so poorly that Cygames decided to move development in house, I wonder how much of PG's work is worth salvaging to them anyway. Nintendo is unlikely to use much, if any, of Namco's work on MP4. Square Enix is just as unlikely to use any of CC2's work on FF7R.

Definitely worried about the future of Platinum here. This isn't the first high profile game of theirs hitting roadblocks and shutdowns. As for Re:Link itself, I'm not entirely concerned for its future. Cygames has the resources to do it in house, and in choosing to work with PG in the first place, they clearly had a distinct vision for the game. They're not going to suddenly change it to something completely unrecognizable now that they're not longer working with PG. It's still going to be an action RPG with cool combat.

Development has mostly been in house for a while. Most of last year, and maybe longer had more Cygames staff on the game than Platinum. It's not a case of salvaging work, just continuing with what they already have.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Development has mostly been in house for a while. Most of last year, and maybe longer had more Cygames staff on the game than Platinum. It's not a case of salvaging work, just continuing with what they already have.
If this was the case, then PG's logo wouldn't be scrubbed from the game. They would be fully credited for their work on the game.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
If they did delete PG logo there's something behind this, if the contract was terminated in a peaceful way why remove the game from your website?

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between the Scalebound cancellation, this contract getting dropped, lack of news on bayonetta 3, and the poorly reviewed smaller games over the past few years (Ninja Turtles, Transformers etc)-I kind of wonder what is going on at Platinum. Are they trying to do too many projects or are they just unable to deliver? Will that mobile game partnership with CyGames get dropped too? Will Babylon's Fall get delayed?

Maybe I am reading into things-but both MS and CyGames dropping them in the past two years makes me question their ability to manage work. Cannot be a coincidence. Certainly not good for them financially.
They work with every other publisher just fine. And let's not forget Scalebound was proceeded by a number of cancellations at Microsoft.

Kaze

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny to see people being impressed by the demo footage less than 1.5 months ago and now calling the game bad.

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like they've finished their side of the development. They were responsible for the combat engine, and if that's done; well... They're not needed anymore.

Hope they can continue to find steady work. I'm sure that Nintendo and S-E will be tapping them going forward though.

I'd like to see them merge with Capcom but still retain their autonomy.

That'd never happen. That's the whole reason why Platinum was founded in the first place. To break away from Capcom and regain independence and creative freedom.

Nintendo should work with Platinum forever i guess. No risk of your project leaving you or being canned like Scalebound.

I have no doubt that they will. Nintendo always aim to foster long-term relationships when they partner up with someone and PG have done excellent work for Nintendo. They're one of the very few companies out there that can actually make a game themselves that lives up to Nintendo's standards of quality (i.e, not just doing grunt work, but actual gameplay design).

Even if it's co-development on a Nintendo EPD project (ALA Starfox Zero), Nintendo will be sticking with PG for a LONG time...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It does feel a bit weird that CyGames would do this for Granblue Relink but not Lost Order, considering Relink has had fairly far-along looking footage released recently whereas Lost Order has been completely missing in action for a long time. I guess Granblue is one of CyGames' flagship IPs, so maybe the company is simply more invested in making sure Relink comes out top-notch whereas they're content to let Lost Order languish in limbo indefinitely.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yeah gone from pg games list
66d2b113cb.jpg

before
52ba651db4.jpg

after
Thats more solid yea, hmm

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Removing Platinum's logo from the game and webstie? Yeah, that sounds bad. Not crediting another company for co-developing on the project. Shit went down.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Platinum is fine.
They're contracted on Bayonetta 3, and I wouldnt be surprised if Square has them working with Taro again. And who knows what else?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this does spell trouble for this particular game considering the removal of the credit entirely.

But the people doomsaying about Platinum themselves are being ridiculous. Bayonetta 3 is absolutely a product that will come out. I'm confident Babylon's Fall will as well. Plus there's the rumored Switch games (one of which is probably Kamiya's new title), and likely another Nier project as well.

They're more than fine.

Stellar

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a long time GBF player this is great news to me. I love GBF and I'd much rather have Cygames take full control of this than a developer who had already been dropped before for failing to deliver on an RPG project.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I'm so upset by this.

The last gameplay video with all the wind had looked so good! And this was my most wanted game of 2019
:(

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so upset by this.

The last gameplay video with all the wind had looked so good! And this was my most wanted game of 2019
:(

Cygames was already taking up more and more of the bulk of production at that point, so this change in the relationship probably won't significantly affect development.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I heard Platinum only made the combat system for Granblue Fantasy.
Maybe they are done ?

Should have been a small team because Platinum is also working on Babylon's Fall and Bayo 3.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no way it's just them having already compleated their jobs if they were kicked off the credits and deleted the game from their websites.

Seems like pg is in trouble at this point... They were once the studio you would hire if you wanted decent and fast development, now they are quickly becoming unreliable... and for a gun for hire that's no good.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
Which means that Platinum has done a lot of work. And then their logo is removed from the game.

That doesn't make sense at all.

This.

If they were only contracted to develop the combat why even announce the game as a joint effort? And now they get to keep P* work on combat but erase all mentions of ever being involved?

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
It isn't looking good.....It is the second AAA that they are being kick out? Maybe they aren't good at management of big game

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with Platinum and not being able to finish huge scale projects? I was looking forward to this, now I'm scared.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is a "Their work is done so the contract is fulfilled" scenario rather than a "Their work is not good enough so they're being removed from development" scenario.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we should be jumping to the conclusion that PG was at fault or that they can't ship a game. It's entirely possible that Cygames and PG had creative disagreements that led to this rather than assuming PG was missing deadlines or was mismanaged or whatever. Seems unnecessarily pessimistic.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I heard Platinum only made the combat system for Granblue Fantasy.
Maybe they are done ?

Should have been a small team because Platinum is also working on Babylon's Fall and Bayo 3.

If this were the case there is absolutely no need for them to announce anything in this way.
They would have just went a bit silent and still been credited.

This is obviously something more.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I doubt Platinum has 2 other exclusive games for Nintendo after Bayonetta 3. 1 I can understand but 2 is hard to believe

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
PG developed the core-system - CyGames can move finish it on their own now.

That PG team is preparing for Dragalia Lost on Switch now.

*believe*

I doubt Platinum has 2 other exclusive games for Nintendo after Bayonetta 3. 1 I can understand but 2 is hard to believe
I mean they had W101 and B2 in development at the same time...for the freaking WiiU.

Dont think its true either - but i doubt it would be impossible if Nintendo approached them for another exclusive.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Seems a lot of people had no interest in the game beyond the fact Platinum were involved

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not really heard of the game but they usually don't press announce when another company finishes their contracted work. You only really do this if the contract is terminated early. Weird still that the logo and game is missing from the respective sites.

Hrmmm... A little odd to be sure.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Oooof. Add this to the troubled history of Platinum Games. Not happy to hear this news at all. I'm not really familiar with GranBlue, but I liked the gameplay footage, but I can't deny that I was mostly interested in the game because of Platinum Games. I hope Platinum's other projects (Bayonetta 3, the Square-Enix game, whatever else they have in the pipeline) will be succesful enough so that this won't break their necks.

I'm a bit surprised by the amount of people saying stuff like "nothing wrong here, Platinum finished their development and now CyGames is just polishing it" etc. Even though we don't know any details I don't think that's the case. They wouldn't have to announce anything then nor would they have to remove Platinum's logo? The latter would especially be baffling. Removing their logo just screams that they're trying to erase Platinum's history / involvement from the game, which I think wouldn't be the case if they would've just finished the work on the game they were contracted for. There has to be more to it and we recently saw similar happen to the FF7 remake as well as Metroid Prime 4, where we got some early rumors, that Nintendo is changing the developer (which they recently confirmed). I remember people also saying that it doesn't have to mean anything back when the rumors about Nintendo changing Metroid Prime 4's developer spread around.

Last edited:

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Oh well, my interest to the game is completely gone, they're probably gonna transform it in a teash loot f2p game. Platinum has a real bad luck, or it needs to stop working with bad companies.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the best kind of news i could have read regarding the game. I just wanted Platinum Games for the combat system, maybe a few movesets, and nothing more.

I feel like Cygames really want to make a great game and this is the kind of move that make me believe in this.