• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, but that's not Sony confirming MM was a ps5 exclusive, no? as I said, people assumed it was and marvel making a mistake didn't help. I don't think Sony ever lied about any of their games being PS5 exclusives after saying so. They were ambiguous on purpose tho for sure.
At some point we are kinda splitting hairs here. Did they outright deny the existence of Miles Morales PS4? No, but they pretty willfully hid it away for months......which ultimately serves the same purpose (making people think it's exclusive to new hardware). I don't think it's out of the question that they would do the same for future first party titles. That's the problem with this sort of bait-and-switch; it throws future communications into doubt.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's good to hear.
As a GT fan, I don't have PS5 now but like to see this game as a PS5 exclusive to use all that power without any limitation.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think a probable reason is that this game will have variable weather conditions/time of day based on real time GI, and PS4 couldn't handle that. GTS relies on baked GI (that does leverage ray tracing, but not in real time) which is why you can't have variable time of day over a single race, so if they do have real time ray traced GI in 7, they don't have a fallback ready for the PS4 version to achieve feature parity, even at lower fidelity.

It could just be as simple as they're leveraging the RT reflections in such a way that they don't want to have a million fallback cubemap probes that won't give the desired results anyway without doubling the art-time they have to put into it. Or if they're updating the simulation to rely on the better CPU, there would be a point the simplified version for PS4 wouldn't be feasible without a whole separate balancing effort.

I doubt it's impossible, but I can understand why they'd want the "clean slate" of having the one baseline to work towards. The studio fights with their own standards enough as it is.

OP
OP
Kolx

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
At some point we are kinda splitting hairs here. Did they outright deny the existence of Miles Morales PS4? No, but they pretty willfully hid it away for months......which ultimately serves the same purpose (making people think it's exclusive to new hardware). I don't think it's out of the question that they would do the same for future first party titles. That's the problem with this sort of bait-and-switch; it throws future communications into doubt.
Yes but that's my point. When Sony outright mention a game is a next gen exclusive, it's a next gen exclusive. With this confirmation, GT7 is no longer in the same situation MM was in.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I am just getting into racing games now and have never played a GT game. I am worried it's too sim for me. I prefer games like FH4 and Dirt 5 currently. Would love to like GT and will give it a chance!

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
To me this says we're gonna have to waaaaaait.

Nothing particularly broken about Sport that I'm dying to have fixed though, so have at it.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
Thank god. I don't want a 7 years old hardware holding GT 7 back. PD, go crazy with the next gen stuff.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Good. Gran Turismo is all about the tech -- you buy the new one to get the shiniest cars possible. Particularly in this instance, crossgen makes no sense.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
All I want is that they go absolutely bananas with the Livery Editor. It's a huge time sink for most of my 800th hours on GTSport.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Makes sense. They messed up releasing GT6 on the PS3 after the PS4 had come out, and the game was quickly forgotten about despite being excellent. Its release date is probably far enough away from the launch window where making it cross gen isn't really worth it anyway.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I believe that GT7 will still have Sport mode in it, enabling cross platform online play with PS4 owners of GTSport.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am just getting into racing games now and have never played a GT game. I am worried it's too sim for me. I prefer games like FH4 and Dirt 5 currently. Would love to like GT and will give it a chance!

GT really isn't that sim-like in my opinion, but it's definitely more than games like FH4 and Dirt 5. For me, the challenge within that is the appeal, and overall it's more about the classy presentation and just collecting/tuning your cars. You'd also probably get addicted to Scapes when the time comes just as I was in GT Sport. Another somewhat underrated thing about GT games even going back to 5 is just how good the lobby system is for online play if that's to your liking.

I'm super excited for this game and hearing PS5 only makes me happy. If it hits 2021, it's by far my most anticipated title of 2021, even among everything else potentially releasing next year.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I'm sure the game started development from the Sports engine, its very noticeable, even from the trailer. But moving forward I think cross development with a PS4 version in mind would only slow them down, and even compromise the game. If they are moving forward as a PS5 only game, then thats good news for the game. Dynamic lighting, and real time weather is something that was not possible with Sport on PS4, so hopefully those 2 are key areas of improvements for GT7.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't. They unveiled the PS5 edition in the PS5 game reveal event June 11th (never said it was exclusive), and confirmed it was also on PS4 two days later.

They announced MM in June but didn't announce the PS4 version till September. Announced it in a blogpost while the September PS5 showcase was going on.

www.polygon.com

Spider-Man: Miles Morales coming to PS4, too

Will launch alongside PS5 version this holiday season

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always imagined the next Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport would both be "service" titles lasting as long as the new machines. Both focus on such large catalogs they're really platforms now, not games that get sequels every 2-3 years. The confirmation of GT7 being a PS5-only game gives me hope that they'll just support that for the entire lifespan of the system with content updates. GT6 suffered hard because it was following up on 5 while carrying a lot of the elements that soured fans and released on a system people were already moving away from.

goodfella

Jan 22, 2018
I was gonna say this is surprising as I'd have thought racing games would be easy to scale graphically (turn off ray tracing, reduce shadow distance and res, reduce res, reduce geometric complexity etc. etc.).

Having said that, perhaps they have made some improvements to the driving simulation that require more cpu processing power?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
They claimed that Miles Morales was a Playstation5 exclusive as well. I wouldn't put anything down in stone.
Not exactly true, it was showcased in a PS5 sizzle reel with deceptive marketing, same with Horizon: Forbidden West. What I would like to know now is when will this game come and will it be a full GT game meaning lots of cars and tracks on release day?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Shortly after the game's announcement in July, I had a thread asking if people thought MM was going to come to PS4 -- it was locked and shut down because Marvel's site definitively stated that the game was a PS5 exclusive.....along with a good dozen people claiming that the game obviously couldn't come to the PS4 because it doesn't have an SSD and Sony believes in generations and blah blah blah

www.resetera.com

Will Spider-Man: Miles Morales come to Playstation 4?

SM:MM is probably my most anticipated game at the moment, but I'm not sure if I'll pick up a PS5 this fall, so it being exclusive to that platform would be kind of a bummer. It's in Marvel's best interest that the game sell to a broad audience though, and it'd also help the Spider-Verse/Sony...

screenshot_2020-06-12s9jov.png

All that said, Polyphony has never done a cross-gen game (to my knowledge), and if GT7 is getting pushed to 2022 there's even less reason for them to labor on a PS4 version.

Sony nor Insomniac ever said Miles was a PS5 exclusive. IDK what that screenshot is from, but somebody goofed.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Please, same for new God of War.

PS4 had one hell of a library, time to cut the cord and let new machine slowly work towards what it's capable of.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If it helps, games like Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo are at the bottom of the sim space, holding out in the "simcade" space. They have more going for them than arcade games with tire and fuels systems, but they're not full simulators. They're car games with simulation elements with car collection and the variation of car disciplines as the hook. Simulation games tend to be more dedicated to a specific form of motorsport.

Forza 7 is on Gamepass, so if you have that, you can give it a try and see if you like it. Gran Turismo is a little more involved than that.