• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
aFy5O2h.png

From recent trailer

Maybe there's still hope for GoW being next gen only after all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Kaz is probably the one developer outside of Kojima to tell Dimbo no when it comes to this. So happy to hear! :)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
... why would GT7 be crossgen when the PS4 already has Sport?

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Out of all of the SIE devs, Polyphony are the ones who would have had the most incentive (and justification) to go cross gen after being burned by GT6, and Sports being a weird transitional era for them. If they pulled the trigger on it being PS5 exclusive, kudos to them.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I figured if it were cross-gen Sony would have confirmed it with the other cross-gen games. Nice to know for sure.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Well, duh. It would have been announced as cross-gen alongside Horizon Forbidden West and Miles Morales.

Also the GT7 reveal trailer was literally promoting it as a next gen experience.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They claimed that Miles Morales was a Playstation5 exclusive as well. I wouldn't put anything down in stone.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Out of all of the SIE devs, Polyphony are the ones who would have had the most incentive (and justification) to go cross gen after being burned by GT6, and Sports being a weird transitional era for them. If they pulled the trigger on it being PS5 exclusive, kudos to them.

I think the opposite it be cross gen would hold it back years later .
I expected this to be the only GT game this gen and they build on it using the GaaS model .
So best just to start fresh with nothing holding it back .

OP
OP
Kolx

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Sport is not a full fledged GT title like GT7 is supposed to be, and Sony has a history of releasing GT titles on last gen just with next gen is released.
I figured if it were cross-gen Sony would have confirmed it with the other cross-gen games. Nice to know for sure.
Didn't stop people from saying GoW and GT7 are probably cross gen.
They claimed that Miles Morales was a Playstation5 exclusive as well. I wouldn't put anything down in stone.
I don't think they did? not commenting on something is not the same as confirming it.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
How long did they say mm and hzd2 were just for the ps5 before saying otherwise

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Hmm.

Why would Horizon Forbidden West be crossgen when the PS4 already has Zero Dawn ?

:p

sorry I don't mean to sound coy, but there is a very real possibility all new games released in the next year or two may be cross-gen.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
There are plenty of likely engineering reasons for that jump, so this makes perfect sense. I do wonder what this means for PSVR support.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I think the opposite it be cross gen would hold it back years later .
I expected this to be the only GT game this gen and they build on it using the GaaS model .
So best just to start fresh with nothing holding it back .
On the flip side, is a circuit racing game, i doubt there is anything baked into the design that could not be scaled to last gen (with enough tinkering) if they wanted an extra infusion of cash.

Again, props to them if they are really doubling down on PS5 development.

Oct 31, 2017
Why would it come to PS4 when PS4 already has GT Sport? I never for a second thought this was coming to PS4. PS4 had a lot of technical limitations that prevented them from doing a lot of stuff they wanted to do with the game like dynamic weather and VR. There was no way they were going to limit GT7 with the weaksauce Jaguar CPUs like they did with GTS.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I haven't played GT since back on PS2 but I'll almost certainly pick this up even just to feel that DualSense on the road! Crazy to think that controllers are exciting me this much again.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
So with Ratchet, Demon Souls, GT7 etc.. being PS5 exclusive are people still going to mock the we dont believe in generations quote

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Hmm.

Why would Horizon Forbidden West be crossgen when the PS4 already has Zero Dawn ?

:p

sorry I don't mean to sound coy, but there is a very real possibility all new games released in the next year or two may be cross-gen.
Horizon is the sequel to a story that many people want to continue though. Without dynamic weather, dynamic time of day, RT reflections, etc. which they can't implement on PS4, you're left with... pretty much the same game? I mean I'd buy it for the new tracks, just doesn't strike me as something that makes much sense.

Epic news. Do we have a release date yet ? Cannot come soon enough, I have a PS5 and stuck playing GT Sport on my TGT cos NONE of my other PS4 games are working with the wheel.

I'd make a thread but cannot.

PS4 Games that are missing wheel support (on PS5)

Assetto Corsa
Project Cars
Project Cars 2
Dirt Rally
Dirt 4
Dirt Rally 2.0

PS5 Games that are missing wheel support

WRC9

Fingers crossed there is a system level patch or something as I'm not convinced we are going to see any game specific patches.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
How long did they say mm and hzd2 were just for the ps5 before saying otherwise
It was never made clear if those games were crossgen or not, MM many people thought it would be crossgen due the scope of the game while Horizon most people thought it would be next-gen only, but Sony(in a scummy and smart way) was quiet about it.

GT7 is more than clear.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was never made clear if those games were crossgen or not, MM many people thought it would be crossgen due the scope of the game while Horizon most people thought it would be next-gen only, but Sony(in a scummy and smart way) was quiet about it.
pretty sure it wasn't...
I don't think they did? not commenting on something is not the same as confirming it.
Shortly after the game's announcement in July, I had a thread asking if people thought MM was going to come to PS4 -- it was locked and shut down because Marvel's site definitively stated that the game was a PS5 exclusive.....along with a good dozen people claiming that the game obviously couldn't come to the PS4 because it doesn't have an SSD and Sony believes in generations and blah blah blah

www.resetera.com

Will Spider-Man: Miles Morales come to Playstation 4?

SM:MM is probably my most anticipated game at the moment, but I'm not sure if I'll pick up a PS5 this fall, so it being exclusive to that platform would be kind of a bummer. It's in Marvel's best interest that the game sell to a broad audience though, and it'd also help the Spider-Verse/Sony...

screenshot_2020-06-12s9jov.png

All that said, Polyphony has never done a cross-gen game (to my knowledge), and if GT7 is getting pushed to 2022 there's even less reason for them to labor on a PS4 version.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Great news IMO. In the past PD have pushed each piece of hardware pretty well (even if 5 and 6 were not full 60 fps in many circumstances.) Getting them to focus on a single platform is a win in my book.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played GT since back on PS2 but I'll almost certainly pick this up even just to feel that DualSense on the road! Crazy to think that controllers are exciting me this much again.
Oh man, I didnt even think of the dual sense with this. That'll be dope.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Racing games are games that will truly benefit from leaving last gen behind, so this is definitely exciting to hear

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon 2 being cross-gen is still the biggest bummer that killed a lot of my initial PS5 hype. That was the game I expected to blow us away at launch. And now it's somewhere mid-to-end-2021 and fucking cross-gen, lol.

OP
OP
Kolx

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Shortly after the game's announcement in July, I had a thread asking if people thought MM was going to come to PS4 -- it was locked and shut down because Marvel's site definitively stated that the game was a PS5 exclusive.....along with a good dozen people claiming that the game obviously couldn't come to the PS4 because it doesn't have an SSD and Sony believes in generations and blah blah blah

www.resetera.com

Will Spider-Man: Miles Morales come to Playstation 4?

SM:MM is probably my most anticipated game at the moment, but I'm not sure if I'll pick up a PS5 this fall, so it being exclusive to that platform would be kind of a bummer. It's in Marvel's best interest that the game sell to a broad audience though, and it'd also help the Spider-Verse/Sony...

screenshot_2020-06-12s9jov.png

All that said, Polyphony has never done a cross-gen game (to my knowledge), and if GT7 is getting pushed to 2022 there's even less reason for them to labor on a PS4 version.
Ok, but that's not Sony confirming MM was a ps5 exclusive, no? as I said, people assumed it was and marvel making a mistake didn't help. I don't think Sony ever lied about any of their games being PS5 exclusives after saying so. They were ambiguous on purpose tho for sure.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
There are plenty of likely engineering reasons for that jump, so this makes perfect sense. I do wonder what this means for PSVR support.

I think a probable reason is that this game will have variable weather conditions/time of day based on real time GI, and PS4 couldn't handle that. GTS relies on baked GI (that does leverage ray tracing, but not in real time) which is why you can't have variable time of day over a single race, so if they do have real time ray traced GI in 7, they don't have a fallback ready for the PS4 version to achieve feature parity, even at lower fidelity.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
No need to put this on PS4 since it has Sport which was clearly designed to be the only Gran Turismo on PS4.