• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Tbf they aren't any Auto racing franchise left šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„
I was thinking the same thing today. Shame Codemasters don't bring road racers anymore that aren't rally, F1 or arcade. They had such a good thing in the past with TOCA and the games that followed.
Unfortunately Project Cars was never fun to play with a gamepad.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I always see people compare GTS to the forza horizon series but isnt forza motorsport series more comparable? How much did FM7 sell?

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100%

Especially considering that you can get it for $20.

ThatĀ“s simply not true (anymore)
You mean the single player campaign that has no since of progression and just feels like a bunch of quick races mash together? Like it not good at all especially when it compare to it peers

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the single player campaign that has no since of progression and just feels like a bunch of quick races mash together? Like it not good at all especially when it compare to it peers

I see your agenda, but whatever. There are single player races. There is account progression. Track experiences, licenses to get - enough to keep you occupied for months.

For $20 GT Sport is amazing value.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see your agenda, but whatever. There are single player races. There is account progression. Track experiences, licenses to get - enough to keep you occupied for months.

For $20 GT Sport is amazing value.
The fuck you talking about? my agenda is talking shit about a shit single player mode. If you're going to buy GT sport it shouldn't be because of the single-player stuff.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
The worst part about having no progression or rather, having the progression tied to the sport mode, is needing to stay online to save offline progress.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
That's a good number.
I dont know why Sony dont share actual units like they did with Spider-Mam, GoW and Horizon.

Interestingly those 3 games are probably over 10M copies sold and we only know about Horizon. Uncharted 4 is another one as well.
Gran Turismo Sport is that game that was never a huge seller but has stable sales during the time.

Last edited:

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There are three things you can be sure of in life. Death, taxes and GT Threads going to shit lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Gran Turismo is that game that was never a huge seller but has stable sales during the time.

Gran Turismo has traditionally been one of the PlayStation's top sellers. GT3 sold fifteen million copies.

• Gran Turismo -- 10.85 million
  • Gran Turismo 2 -- 9.37 million
  • Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec -- 14.89 million
  • Gran Turismo Concept Series -- 1.56 million
  • Gran Turismo 4 Prologue -- 1.4 million
  • Gran Turismo 4 -- 11.76 million
  • Gran Turismo 5 Prologue -- 5.35 million
  • Gran Turismo PSP -- 4.66 million
  • Gran Turismo 5 -- 11.94 million
  • Gran Turismo 6 -- 4.7 million

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gran Turismo has traditionally been one of the PlayStation's top sellers. GT3 sold fifteen million copies.

oh wow, i'm super impressed with gt psp's sales. i had no idea it had done that well.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
What no? There were some of the best-selling games on their consoles man
GT was for 2 decades the best selling Sony franchise... several episodes sold over 10 million copies.

I actually forgot about writing "Sport" after Gran Turismo. I'm gonna edit the original post so more people won't quote me, sorry.
I mean the PS4 game has never set the charts on fire but it has managed to sell well since release.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Sony's handling of this franchise is still so bizarre to me. It was their biggest franchise, then all of the sudden they decided to send GT6 to die and then pretend that GTS didn't exist in all of their press conferences.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
People are doing, so you can. We know one has more players than the other. There's your comparison. The reasons behind that are another issue. It's not like Game Pass is free. It's not like GT Sport hasn't had crazy discounts almost continuously since a month after launch. I picked it up for Ā£15.99 last year digitally. GT Sport has had an additional 12 months on the market too. So there are plenty of reasons for and against both games to have as many players as they do.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People are doing, so you can. We know one has more players than the other. There's your comparison. The reasons behind that are another issue. It's not like Game Pass is free. It's not like GT Sport hasn't had crazy discounts almost continuously since a month after launch. I picked it up for Ā£15.99 last year digitally. GT Sport has had an additional 12 months on the market too. So there are plenty of reasons for and against both games to have as many players as they do.
You're arguing for the sake of it at this point, just because a comparison is possible doesn't mean there is any point in doing it, one has easy access to a way to boost their numbers which makes any comparison faulty, Driveclub is over 10 million but there is no point in comparing it with another game since it was on Plus.

Last edited:

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
I picked it from Best Buy a few weeks ago when it was on sale for 20 bucks. Great game. Tons of content that's not online.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
You're arguing for the sake of it at this point, just because a comparison is possible doesn't mean there is any point in doing it, one has easy access to a way to boost their numbers which makes any comparison faulty, Driveclub is over 10 million but there is no point in comparing it with another game since it was on Plus.
Oh come on now, Fortnite is free to play but gets compared to PUBG at every opportunity. It's nothing new.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Interesting. So, we can probably assume it has sold 5-6 million copies? I would guess at the lower end of this range.

Maybe because the series has nosedived in popularity, so maybe they're not keen to show its decline?
It did over 7 million players in a year and four months. It took other GT games several years to get to their high numbers, they didn't get close to 10M in a year. Let's save the decline talk till it's been three years at least.Otherwise it's premature like when everyone claimed GT5 wasn't going to reach the series usual high numbers.

Oct 27, 2017
It did over 7 million players in a year and four months. It took other GT games several years to get to their high numbers, they didn't get close to 10M in a year. Let's save the decline talk till it's been three years at least.Otherwise it's premature like when everyone claimed GT5 wasn't going to reach the series usual high numbers.

Fair enough; I don't disagree with anything you've said, but bear in mind this is 7 million players, not sales. The actual number of copies they've sold could quite conceivably be 2/3 of this.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Is it a good came if you're a casual player who doesn't play online?

I found the "training" career mode possibly one of the best in the genre. Really helps you develop and understand basic actions and control over the car through various conditions and sequences. Some can be brutal to earn gold medals, but each attempt I definitely felt the improvement and the satisfaction of finally perfecting it to win. Really did greatly improve my approach to the racing overall too. Classy UI and great visuals too.

It is missing a proper caRPG mode though. I know a new career mode was added post launch but I think it's mostly events and race challenges, which is nice. But the game focuses too much on speedy high-powered cars than the thrill of taking consumer-level autos we all own into a career setting.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Good to see lots of players, GT Sport is the best GT game in years, it deserves to do well.

Absolutely gorgeous visuals, one of the best HDR implementations in a game, a solid 60fps, excellent car handling, excellent training mode and brilliant online mode.

Trimming the fat and jank that the series had become known for over the years, was 100% the right call, allowing PD to create a much more refined and better racing experience imo.

Yeah, it sucks they had to leave some stuff out at the start but the payoff was worth it and they have been hard at work adding new stuff into the game for free, every month since launch, including over 103 new cars, 32 new tracks and the GT League Championships (Sunday Cup ect) making the game even better now.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Fair enough; I don't disagree with anything you've said, but bear in mind this is 7 million players, not sales. The actual number of copies they've sold could quite conceivably be 2/3 of this.
Sure, I understand that. But when all is said and done I can see it obtaining up to 8M sells. I don't think it will sell quite up to their previous games but will get pretty darn close. But to get to that 10+ million that most GT games got to they sold for 3+ years and sold the majority of their totals at Greatest Hits prices. They were much less front loaded than most games. GT5 didn't even get 1M first month NPD and even though those games never came close to that people said GT was done for because how could a 10M+ game sell less than 1M first month? It's incomprehensible!!! But then looking at numbers after 5 years it still passed 3M in North America.

nismopower

Oct 29, 2017
Good to see lots of players, GT Sport is the best GT game in years, it deserves to do well.

Absolutely gorgeous visuals, one of the best HDR implementations in a game, a solid 60fps, excellent car handling, excellent training mode and brilliant online mode.

Trimming the fat and jank that the series had become known for over the years, was 100% the right call, allowing PD to create a much more refined and better racing experience imo.

Yeah, it sucks they had to leave some stuff out at the start but the payoff was worth it and they have been hard at work adding new stuff into the game for free, every month since launch, including over 103 new cars, 32 new tracks and the GT League Championships (Sunday Cup ect) making the game even better now.

Right on the money !!
Dont care what the reviewers and haters say.
Im playing it since release and its by far with ease the best console racer this gen. And for me personally my game of the generation.
And the way they support it with even 2 dlc's this month.
And yes played all the forzas( motorsport and horizon). And no i dont think they compare with gt sport.
Gt wins with ease for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
This game has had such a turnaround to me. Went from being one of my most disappointing releases to my favorite racer of this gen with everything they have added.

Animismus

Oct 27, 2017
I used to play daily! Kid was born in late December and it is very hard to sit down long enough to get the daily mileage in.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
So I hope that GT7 is a next gen game, and they dont send a game out to die again like they did with GT6.

This game had a good framework, and is a lot of fun, but it's been so long that I no longer even want them to add a Simulation/Campaign mode onto it. The current content is enough.

I don't boot it up as often as I used to, unless I want to show off VR to folks, in which case, it's relatively peaceful to drive around in VR.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
That's my problem with it too. I loved the previous games where you started out with a shitty car and upgraded it in the garage with new parts to progress further/buy new cars. Basically a regular campaign mode.
I'm sure the online is great, but i mostly play my racing games offline. Definitely worth it at a deep discount though, which seem to happen very often.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone have a good link to a video that covers all the features of the game? I loved some of the old GT games but i want a car RPG im not interested in just racing for wins, I loved the parts of the old games where you would run races to improve your car buying new parts, upgrades and eventually building out your garage with newer cars. Does this game offer that?

CassiusClay99

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have a good link to a video that covers all the features of the game? I loved some of the old GT games but i want a car RPG im not interested in just racing for wins, I loved the parts of the old games where you would run races to improve your car buying new parts, upgrades and eventually building out your garage with newer cars. Does this game offer that?

Absolutly not. GTS is definitly not a game for you.

It s a online racing focused game (that had a half-arsed campaign added in panic mode). If you want the old GT experience, then better wait for GT7...

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't offer that sadly, has a very simple upgrade system for power and weight and you can change tyres and adjust the vehicle setup. No different exhausts/engine parts/bodywork etc. It does have a really good livery editor though.

It does have a good driving school with a number of missions and then a series of races similar to what was in previous GT's but without the CarPG elements to back it up, which I miss a lot too.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So I hope that GT7 is a next gen game, and they dont send a game out to die again like they did with GT6.

This game had a good framework, and is a lot of fun, but it's been so long that I no longer even want them to add a Simulation/Campaign mode onto it. The current content is enough.

I don't boot it up as often as I used to, unless I want to show off VR to folks, in which case, it's relatively peaceful to drive around in VR.

GT Sport will last out this gen now. Not sure if the next game will be GT7 or GT Sport 2 but if PS5 is backwards compatible, it wouldn't totally surprise me if they just do a PS5 Patch for GT Sport, improving the graphics even more and then do a Season Pass for future content, at least for the first few years and then do a proper next gen GT later in the PS5's life.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thinking of buying a new wheel and get back in again. :)

DO IT! I quit playing with a wheel long ago because GT4-6 never really felt right with one. However, I was able to score a G29 for less than $200 on clearance at Best Buy, and holy crap is it ever great. The wheel is silent, the force feedback is a nice strength, but most of all the wheel is just super precise - even the tiniest correction translates immediately to the game, and while I am still not as good as I am with a pad, I do better in GT Sport than I ever have with any wheel in any other racer, and it doesn't feel like I'm messing up due to lag or sensor issues with the wheel - when I screw up it's usually my fault now.

Just for grins, I put on the VR headset and took the 787B around Le Sarthe, and by the time I was done my heart was racing and I was breathing very quickly - it was really another level of immersion that I wasn't ready to dive into the deep end of. Can't wait to try Dirt Rally with the thing, but haven't had time to set it back up (I put it away when I left for vacation a few weeks ago so it wasn't cluttering up the living room while I was gone).