• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
From Google Translate

"Gran Turismo" has been series since the release in 1997 and now it is the world's largest motor sports platform, with more than 7 million players, mainly in Europe, North America, Asia, and Japan, with participation of more than 7 million players.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/news/00_4975123.html

Pretty decent I would say. The team have built themselves a great foundation for GT7.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
That's a good number.
I dont know why Sony dont share actual units like they did with Spider-Mam, GoW and Horizon.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Is it safe to assume that sales are over 5m then? That's good, hopefully the unavoidable GT7 will also release on PS4 then

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. So, we can probably assume it has sold 5-6 million copies? I would guess at the lower end of this range.

That's a good number.
I dont know why Sony dont share actual units like they did with Spider-Mam, GoW and Horizon.

Maybe because the series has nosedived in popularity, so maybe they're not keen to show its decline?

Oct 27, 2017
The series is declining? I didnt know that.

GT5 sold upwards of 12 million copies. GT6 did about 6 million, as I recall. GT Sport has probably done similar. The series has obviously passed its heyday and has been surpassed by some of its peers since it was at its peak in the PS2 era (GT3 did like 15 million sales).

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
The support it's been getting has been fantastic... from GT5 onwards Polyphony has been doing a great job of updating and adding content to their titles.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's a good number.

Likely because it's still a notable drop from past titles. Player numbers is usually to compensate for less than stellar sales figures.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad PD decided to make GTSport instead of the standard more cars, tracks, and usual single player they've been doing the past few titles, they decided to completely change up and focus on the online, e-sport aspect and the game is so much better for it. Literally the best online racer I've ever experienced on a console it's not even close, plus there's still the cool training modes present, learning the track features which were always really good, and the custom race option and arcade gives you everything you need if wanting to play solo. With all that and the post launch support the game has gotten it's pretty much the best racer in general I've played this gen, or at least tied with FH3 for me XD.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
Is it safe to assume that sales are over 5m then? That's good, hopefully the unavoidable GT7 will also release on PS4 then
It's hard to say, but I reckon that's the case. I kinda feel the metric 'total players' is useless though, since it can be pretty inflated. Either use copies sold or MAU (or even peak MAU). The fact that Polyphony Digital always spoke of units sold (updated quarterly) and doesn't do so anymore is kinda telling.

Nonetheless, I still love the game though. Coming back to it with every new content update.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Interesting. So, we can probably assume it has sold 5-6 million copies? I would guess at the lower end of this range.

GT Sports could be at 3.3m sold as of 5th May 2018

Sales history of GT as of 30th Sept 2017
Screen-Shot-2018-05-11-at-12.15.31-PM-768x587.png

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I'm one of them. But it's good to keep in mind that 7 million player accounts doesn't mean 7 million players. I may have the game, but I don't play it, and I might not be the only one in this case.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Still rather crazy that GT still hasn't gotten a mainline game on the PS4. Kaz gets away with too much.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That's a good number.

Spider-Mam
Spider-Mam
Does whatever a mother can
Bakes some cakes, cooks some lamb.
Look out here comes Spider-Mam

Is she Strong? listen bud, she's got Radioative blood

Here comes Spider-Mam