• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In that recent "franchise killers" thread people were saying Forza bodied Gran Turismo

this is Sport. I expect the next numbered GT title to do pretty well.

Forza bodied maybe gt sport, which is one of the most divisive in the franchise and completley went away from what made gt so great.

GT7 going back to it's roots alongside the online that they have done really well in gt sport will blow forza out of the water interms of sales. Like it will outsell every forza released this gen.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Like it will outsell every forza released this gen.
Nah, Forza Horizon is to big for that.
No, mainline forza is irrelevant.
That's a bit harsh, but the Motorsport franchise is definitely not as successful as GT or FH.
do you have a source? that's quite a lot.

The last official number was 12 million in early/summer 2019.
Looking again I misread, that was apparently the franchise total and not just 7.
Total MAU?

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
I also found it odd at first, being a different kind of GT without the usual aspects of it like beefy single player and carpg stuff. That's why I waited for a deep sale after a couple of years.

I know I jumped in at a time when DLC and updates had transformed the game into a much robust offering , but what I got was superb. I ended up loving the new direction , didn't miss the constant grind for money and got better as a racer as a result.

I still think there are some problems brought by legacy GT creeping its way into GT Sport but it's a phenomenal game nowadays. And still the only racer where I watch full race replays.. it's insanely beautiful .

I also really like Forza and I hope both series continue to thrive.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Forza Horizon is to big for that.
And GT is way bigger, i wouldn't put forza anywhere close to GT interms of popularity and sales, the franchise not only sells really well but also does esports stuff and had competitions to give chances for people to become actual racers.

Maybe it seems that way this gen because we got a turd on release and got stuck with it for the entire gen and only now is it semi decent.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
GTS is in my top 3 games in terms of play time on PS5. Loads super quick, runs great, and looks really fantastic. Can't wait to see what they do with the PS5 hardware for the next entry.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
And GT is way bigger, i wouldn't put forza anywhere close to GT interms of popularity and sales, the franchise not only sells really well but also does esports stuff and had competitions to give chances for people to become actual racers.
FH2-3 never were part of Gamepass and had over 10 million players. One insider on here even made this comment linked below and the games charted way more than GTS did iirc.

I want GT to be successful, but thinking GT7 will outsell all Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsport Games combined is delusional, unless you think they can sell over 20-30 million and get more than 40-55 million players with one game. GT is huge, but it never achieved even close to 40/55 million players.

No it isn't. Not by a long shot. Forza Horizon 3 is considerably ahead of GTS. Like really considerably. They're not even close.

www.resetera.com

Forza Motorsport 7, Gran Turismo Sport and Project Cars 2: Tracking critical and commercial success

No it isn't. Not by a long shot. Forza Horizon 3 is considerably ahead of GTS. Like really considerably. They're not even close.

Last edited:

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Forza bodied maybe gt sport, which is one of the most divisive in the franchise and completley went away from what made gt so great.

GT7 going back to it's roots alongside the online that they have done really well in gt sport will blow forza out of the water interms of sales. Like it will outsell every forza released this gen.

Maybe it seems that way this gen because we got a turd on release and got stuck with it for the entire gen and only now is it semi decent.

are you sure about that? fh4 has 22+ million players according to the links posted earlier by the OP, and it's only going to get bigger after the steam release. I don't think any GT game reached that high.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
FH2-3 never were part of Gamepass and had over 10 million players. One insider on here even made this comment and the games charted way more than GTS did.

I want GT to be successful, but thinking GT7 will outsell all Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsport Games is delusional, unless you think they can sell over 20-30 million and get more than 40-50 million players with one game. GT is huge, but it never achieved even close to 40/50 million players.

www.resetera.com

Forza Motorsport 7, Gran Turismo Sport and Project Cars 2: Tracking critical and commercial success

If we are talking hard sales, I believe GT7 can outsell all Forza games coming this gen purely because they are being given out on Game Pass and you dont really need to buy them to play them

Feb 8, 2018
Presentation, accessibility and Sport are the peak of the game. Car and track variety also on the better side now. The lack of obvious optical damage unfortunately takes me out of the experience in certain moments and I believe the physics system isn't the most realistic out there.

Last edited:

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

GT was always bigger than FM.

But I really think Forza Horizon is the new beast in terms of stats/MAU.

FH4 have +13 videos above +10M of views on YT.

It's even crazy that MS doesn't invest Esport on This.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully GT7 brings the best of offline and online together, but boy I tell you GTS was hard to get into with such a huge focus on multiplayer at launch. After a few weeks of play I dropped the game cold turkey and never went back. Where as with other GT titles I played them for years and thousands of hours.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I'm surprised, like very surprised. I like GT Sport, but as a casual fan of the franchise, I probably spent upwards of potentially 15 hours in it, compared to the 50+ on other titles, barring GT6 which I never played.

I felt the game might've been too restrictive for the casual player. Let's see how GT7 performs for the general demographic, especially since the genre has certainly become niche now. Regarding Forza, FM has always been behind GT but FH is definitely the leader of the racing pack right now. It's just too big, especially in EU to ignore.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
GT7 should be a great return to form. Robust classic SP and GTS for the MP. Amazing graphics on PS5 and likely the new standard for DualSense after Astrobot. It should be a steady evergreen title for Sony this generation. I just really hope the devs "get it" when it comes to why mainstream like GT.

I loved it for getting old cars I had in real life, turning them up (something you can't do IRL without thousands of dollars) and conquering the world with it. Pokécars is real, and I hope it comes back in full effect, and even add some additional RPG-lite elements that's new and innovative. It'll likely be one of my only racing games (I usually get GT/MK every gen) so it better be good.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
I don't have any racing games for the PS5. I've seen WRC and Dirt... But am tempted by GTS. For those that know, would you recommend it over either/both of the other two?

Can't remember the last time I played a GT. But it does conjure up some feelings.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any racing games for the PS5. I've seen WRC and Dirt... But am tempted by GTS. For those that know, would you recommend it over either/both of the other two?

Can't remember the last time I played a GT. But it does conjure up some feelings.

Those three are about as different as racing games could be!

WRC is a proper rally game. Point to point, dirt tracks, real cars etc.

Dirt 5 is an arcade racer. It's big jumps, fireworks, stupid powerslides, objectives like 'smash into three other cars' etc

GTS is a track racer with real world tracks like Silverstone and Nurburgring and real super cars. Big focus on online multiplayer.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just glad the series is still going strong, with any luck GT7 will be the best of both worlds. Traditional fully realized GT campaign and all of GTS online functionality with an active racing community that carries over.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Ghostcrew describes it perfectly and I would just add that, if you plan to get a PS5 or own one, then waiting for GT7 (supposedly releasing this year!) would be my recommendation. There is nothing wrong with GTS, don't understand this wrong. It's just that you could save the money for GT7, which will by the looks of it be a better game.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm just glad the series is still going strong, with any luck GT7 will be the best of both worlds. Traditional fully realized GT campaign and all of GTS online functionality with an active racing community that carries over.
Yes and with amazing sounds for the first time ever in a numbered release. GTS made some incredible progress and it helped so much. Handling, graphics and sound are the triforce of making a great driving experience. GT always nailed two of those, but sound was a nightmare in GT1-6.

Last edited:

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't jump in because my DFGT was on its last legs and I didn't want to play with a controller. But the same week that I got my launch PS5 I also picked up a G293 on sale so I'm ready to pick up GT7 at launch. Can't wait! I haven't had a GT game since 5.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Yes and with amazing sounds for the first time ever in a numbered release. GTS made some incredible progress and it helped so much. Handling, graphics and sound are the triforce of making a great driving experience.
Yeah GTS engine sounds were much improved, that certainly was a pleasant surprise.

Feb 8, 2018

It went away from Classic GT but I would not use the word completely. I believe there are even racetracks and music from GT5.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
GTS ended up being about as good as I could possibly hope. I miss the classic tracks and they appear to be fixing that in GT7. The livery creator/sharing system goes a long way to ease my complaints about the race car fields being so shallow. For 7 I hope for a few very simple changes but since I'm the only one bothered by them I doubt they will happen. More championships though please. And I wish they would pull the slider just a little bit closer to "Racing Simulator" and a little further away from "Driving Simulator. Just a bit.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
How many users are active? I bet it's not many because 9.5 million users seems low for a GT game. They lost me at launch. It was a great GT game technically, but it was barebones AF. That price drop after no more than a month after release was an indication that it wasn't doing well at the time.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Thanks. That's the number you want to analyze. It's far lower than I would have thought for a GT game, even at this point. I used to play them until the next one dropped like so many.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
My time is still mostly spent in Time Trial runs in PSVR, but I continue to be a happy GTS player. Seeing the total player count tick up to this point is good news. It's no show-stopper, but it's still solid. I think after the struggles the series went through in the PS3 era, something more straightforward but with this level of polish has been just what the doctor ordered, even if I wanted a lot more around launch.

I'm still stoked that the next game will have a more traditional career structure.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Those three are about as different as racing games could be!

WRC is a proper rally game. Point to point, dirt tracks, real cars etc.

Dirt 5 is an arcade racer. It's big jumps, fireworks, stupid powerslides, objectives like 'smash into three other cars' etc

GTS is a track racer with real world tracks like Silverstone and Nurburgring and real super cars. Big focus on online multiplayer.

I think I should have added a bit more context about me. I'm not a very sophisticated player! As far as I'm concerned, whilst I can see how those differences you've laid out so clearly would be important to lots and lots of folks, for me... Not so much. Sounds like I'm being obtuse or reductionist but that's not my intention! To my simple mind the concept is the overriding factor if that makes sense. The nuances (i.e. how they play, progression and everything else) are things I'd take on the chin/adjust to.

Ghostcrew describes it perfectly and I would just add that, if you plan to get a PS5 or own one, then waiting for GT7 (supposedly releasing this year!) would be my recommendation. There is nothing wrong with GTS, don't understand this wrong. It's just that you could save the money for GT7, which will by the looks of it be a better game.

Ahh... GT7 this year would be amazing and make my choice much clearer. Will keep my ear to the ground.

Thanks both!