• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Why both Fraga and Lopez chose an hard tyre for the last race section, even if the pit was only on 6 lap to go?

If you go soft and medium first, you can run them as long as possible before changing so you get the max out of them. Then run the hard for the shortest possible time. If you go hard first you have to gamble when to change - change too early and your medium/soft may drop off too much and you'll struggle. Change too late and you're throwing away performance.

Are there advantages in GT Sport based on fuel level/weight to be on softs towards the end of a race?

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know its probably been asked before, but do we have an ETA for this update?
.. Hoping it's for all tracks..., would be ok if its rain on a few tracks.. but will be a tad bit disappointed if it's just the Red Bull track.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
I know its probably been asked before, but do we have an ETA for this update?
.. Hoping it's for all tracks..., would be ok if its rain on a few tracks.. but will be a tad bit disappointed if it's just the Red Bull track.

Id love to be wrong, truly i would...but i cant see it...IF they HAVE managed some...general all round system then absolutely colour me staggered. Night time tracks in particular will look outraegous!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It would be a little odd to have a new track in the update, that doesn't support the new weather.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't. If it did there would be single player races with proper rolling and grid starts - but it doesn't. Instead the cars are spread out in a massive convoy.

Create a custom race with all the cars together on a grid and watch the frame rate drop from sixty.

You think those weird processional races exist because Polyphony think it's the future of motosport?
Plenty of motorsports use rolling starts, so not sure what you're getting at. Actually, I do know what your agenda is.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Plenty of motorsports use rolling starts, so not sure what you're getting at. Actually, I do know what your agenda is.

Agenda? Aren't we both grown adults discussing a videogame? Don't be so silly. I spent a lot of money getting hold of the original Japanese GT1 back before it arrived in the UK, had to mod my PlayStation to play it and even buy a new TV. For a long time Gran Turismo was a big part of MY ACTUAL JOB. This is ResetEra, not GAMEFAQS. Agenda? Man alive.

I'll explain it again for those talking part in the thread that might be interested in the difference between real motorsport rolling starts and the ones that appear in GTS (and other GT games).

In real life rollings starts are essentially like a mobile grid. The cars are all bunched up as they would be in a stationary start. But if you set a custom event in GTS to do this you'll sometimes (not always) get some framerate issues at the beginning of the race.

So the single player events that Polyphony has set up in the game, where you don't control the start method, uses something you rarely see in other games such as Project Cars, Forza, F1 etc.

And this system has the start with all the AI cars strung out in a long procession, sometimes spread out as much as half a lap, so at no point all the AI cars are grouped together as this can cause a frame rate problem. In most racing games the biggest stress on the engine often comes from a grid start.

That's how GTS protects its framerate, through these kinds of odd starts, and by having fewer AI cars on track compared to similar games. Now some people don't mind these "follow the leader" races. But I'm not a fan, never have been going all the way back, because it's not really traditional racing when the front car starts half a lap ahead. So I tend to play GTS in Custom Race mode with "regular" rolling starts and grid starts, because I don't mind a little bit of a frame rate hit right at the beginning of the race, it soon subsides. I wish the regular single player events used these too.

And that's it. No agenda. Just a simple discussion of how one game is optimised.

Edit: I should add GT has done this long procession for much of its life, and it's something many of its players have spoken of over the years. It's not like it's something I've just spotted. Some of us been talking about it for over 20 years!

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cars and track are not for me. Waiting to see what the asterisk is next to the Rain.

OP
OP
benzy

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't. If it did there would be single player races with proper rolling and grid starts - but it doesn't. Instead the cars are spread out in a massive convoy.

Create a custom race with all the cars together on a grid and watch the frame rate drop from sixty.

You think those weird processional races exist because Polyphony think it's the future of motosport?

I've done a bunch of custom races and haven't ran into any noticeable dips with standing grid starts. Standing starts are even used at the FIA championships and online where framerate would matter most.

Several of the single player campaign races do rolling starts even when there's only 10 cars or less in a race when the game can handle much more than that fine whether it's standing or rolling.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Particularly if this is heavy rain, this seems like a limited implementation. Partly in the sense that road spray from other cars doesn't interact with the player's windscreen, but also the spray itself at high speed didn't seem to change visibility enough to really matter. The whole section from 0:52 onward, you're seeing through the spray from 3+ cars without difficulty, which seems weird considering the headlights are in play. I don't know if the car interior being blacked out makes it look worse than it might otherwise, but even compared to something like the original Project Cars on PS4, this is showing weirdly minimal interaction. The overall feel of heavier rain doesn't come across at all like it would in something like Forza Motorsport 7, let alone the cool water pooling in Driveclub.

Driveclub's weather was a wonderful graphical tour de force. Brilliant impressive graphics. But alas nothing like the real world experience sitting in a car in heavy weather. The windscreen wipers in my car work.

I love the look of the pooling water from Driveclub, but it looking so "oily" because of the simplified physics (i.e., large, out-of-scale droplets) made the visibility unrealistically bad compared to actual driving in anything but legitimately torrential weather. The effect is still entrancing, though.

Last edited:

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018

Yeah but we arent looking at if's and but's. The game in it's current form runs buttery smooth.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but we arent looking at if's and but's. The game in it's current form runs buttery smooth.

They're saying setting up a custom race with otherwise normal conditions causes performance issues, hence the limited setups for starts throughout the game. I can't say I've tried it, but they're talking about the game in its current form. Has anyone else tried this? Performance has been solid for me on Pro and in PSVR, but I've mostly played vanilla events/Time Trial. I do wish there were more styles of event starts.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have a pro so don't know about vanilla but first corner at Monza with a grid start seems fine to me.