• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Driveclub water in cockpit view was alright, always looked like water collected like Mercury at the side of the windscreen to me. Waterdrops looked good, but overall it felt overdone, beautiful for what it was at 30fps and remained unchallenged for a long time. Rear cam though still looks great. I wanna see what this is like in my hands when it's updated. Finally get some wet tracks/weather and still negativity.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like a confirmation, seems like he misspoke?

You could definitely tell that cars were struggling for grip in the race. That's why it was by far the messiest race today. While the drivers were given a chance to test rain conditions prior to the race, they still aren't accustomed to how braking has changed under wet conditions. Hizal is one of the best GT drivers and his whole race was ruined because he couldn't miscalculated how long it'd take for his cars to slow down in rain.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
What he said was that the difference between "Rain" and "Light Rain" was purely visual and the actual physics is the same.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
Even without the collisions, Lopez would've been overtaken for both Fraga and Latkovski on the next straight. Running out of fuel at the last corner, an even more dramatic finish.

These events are so fun.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I think Lopez may have ran out of fuel.

He definitely did. People were surprised that he managed to come out in front of Fraga after pitting, but the reason he was able to do that was down to him not taking on more fuel. When he pitted he only had 17 fuel at the time. On GTplanet it's been calculated that Lopez would've needed at least 3L more of fuel to make it to the finish.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
That's the first time I've ever watched eSports and that had the feel of an F1 race in presentation and commentary. Actually very watchable. They've done great work to make something that is just a video game into something that has a very professional set up.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Why has it taken 2 years to add rain to a racing game? Not being rhetorical, I'm genuinely curious. I haven't played in over a year, might have to jump back in to see what else has changed. Hopefully less rage-inducing...

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Why has it taken 2 years to add rain to a racing game? Not being rhetorical, I'm genuinely curious. I haven't played in over a year, might have to jump back in to see what else has changed. Hopefully less rage-inducing...
I think there were other fixes that were much more important.

Tracks, cars and single player content being bigger focuses.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Well, they're using rain in their FIA GT events, so it's really important that everything is running smoothly so things are fair. Having one player experiencing framerate drops while it's smooth for the other would be a mess. So it's important that everything is running as smooth as the rest of the game.

Ciccione

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why both Fraga and Lopez chose an hard tyre for the last race section, even if the pit was only on 6 lap to go?

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Why both Fraga and Lopez chose an hard tyre for the last race section, even if the pit was only on 6 lap to go?

When you're fighting in a pack it slows your time down because you can't get a clean line. Every other driver chose Mediums or Hards to start the race. So Fraga and Lopez seemed to be banking on those other drivers putting in really slow times due to a combination or their tire choice and all the fighting they were doing. They just miscalculated because they ended up doing a lot of fighting on their own which slowed them down. On top of that they were making uncharacteristic mistakes like running wide on corners. So by the end of the race the lead they'd hoped to get by starting on Softs had completely diminished.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Watching the GT Sport Manufacturer Championship. This is about 100 times better than watching a F1 race. Decided to watch "just the first lap" before doing something else and I am currently watching the 3rd race in a row...

The devs need to improve the camera for these races though, focusing on a car instead of a pack of cars makes it weird and you lose some important movements when they are battling for position, specially when there are 3 or more cars together.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Driveclub water in cockpit view was alright, always looked like water collected like Mercury at the side of the windscreen to me. Waterdrops looked good, but overall it felt overdone, beautiful for what it was at 30fps and remained unchallenged for a long time. Rear cam though still looks great. I wanna see what this is like in my hands when it's updated. Finally get some wet tracks/weather and still negativity.

Driveclub's weather was a wonderful graphical tour de force. Brilliant impressive graphics. But alas nothing like the real world experience sitting in a car in heavy weather. The windscreen wipers in my car work.

Last edited:

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Does rain usually affect driving in most racing games?

Yes. If you look at Project Cars 2 and Forza Motorsport 7 (and 6 for that matter) they both feature changing track conditions that affect the driving experience.

Taking Forza Motorsport 7 for example, the weather can change from dry to wet to foggy or all manner of combinations during a race*. The road temperature and moisture affects the tyre model and how slippy things get. Then there are deep puddles which fill with water and actually drag on the car realistically meaning if you just put two wheels in you can be pulled offer the track and also aquaplane. There is super light rain, there is full on monsoon conditions and all sorts of other conditions between.

Hopefully we'll get something similar in GTS. My major concern is not about the physics or graphical fidelity of weather in GTS, but performance. GTS still has performance issues which are likely the reason for the silly processional rolling starts in many single player races - you can force grid starts in custom races but it affects frame rate. My major bugbear of GTS was the lack of content and that's mostly solved now, but I still have a few issues with it - the main one being performance and these odd follow the leader races. I also wish we had a bonnet-cam and we finally had some sort of fine control over the HUD - it's currently very much all or nothing still.

*While theFM7 can't do a full 24 day/night cycle time of day also changes during races. So night races can go into sunrise, day races get darker etc. Meanwhile Project Cars 2 offers a full 24 hour cycle and the ability to speed that up.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Yes. If you look at Project Cars 2 and Forza Motorsport 7 (and 6 for that matter) they both feature changing track conditions that affect the driving experience.

Taking Forza Motorsport 7 for example, the weather can change from dry to wet to foggy or all manner of combinations during a race*. The road temperature and moisture affects the tyre model and how slippy things get. Then there are deep puddles which fill with water and actually drag on the car realistically meaning if you just put two wheels in you can be pulled offer the track and also aquaplane. There is super light rain, there is full on monsoon conditions and all sorts of other conditions between.

Hopefully we'll get something similar in GTS. My major concern is not about the physics or graphical fidelity of weather in GTS, but performance. GTS still has performance issues which are likely the reason for the silly processional rolling starts in many single player races - you can force grid starts in custom races but it affects frame rate. My major bugbear of GTS was the lack of content and that's mostly solved now, but I still have a few issues with it - the main one being performance and these odd follow the leader races. I also wish we had a bonnet-cam and we finally had some sort of fine control over the HUD - it's currently very much all or nothing still.

*While theFM7 can't do a full 24 day/night cycle time of day also changes during races. So night races can go into sunrise, day races get darker etc. Meanwhile Project Cars 2 offers a full 24 hour cycle and the ability to speed that up.
Oh hey an actual anwser. Thanks. Was wondering if it was just purely aesthetic.

Last edited:

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I am just here to say how amazing World Tour stream was. Absolutely fantastic races and presentation was top notch as always. I hope these thing take off in terms of viewers next gen.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does rain usually affect driving in most racing games?

Yeah but rarely accurately. More like you need to just brake earlier and have less grip in a corner. Some do puddles you can aeroplane on but things like wet lines, avoiding heavy rubber spots, seaking dryer patches isn't really a thing yet. Well certainly not in the sim-lites anyway.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Yeah but rarely accurately. More like you need to just brake earlier and have less grip in a corner. Some do puddles you can aeroplane on but things like wet lines, avoiding heavy rubber spots, seaking dryer patches isn't really a thing yet. Well certainly not in the sim-lites anyway.

Id be hoping next gen with the extra cpu grunt all of the above is indeed included...its one thing to visualise the rain, but another to actually attempt to model it. So yeah, i suspect PD have added the basics in all regards as a test bed, with PS5 allowing them to fully realise their ambition. Day/Night cycle to return etc etc, skidmarks that stay on track, and bigger everything else...

People expecting more out of what PD have shown regarding the wet weather is a bit silly IMO, certainly in the visual dept.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
it may be to your appreciation and expectation of aesthethics but GT cars (details, lightning, rendering, paints reflections...) have always been a gen ahead of Forza.

It's a valid argument you make, GT tries to be realistic while forza always went for a more vivid visual approach (especially the color grading)
During Forza gens 5 and 6 Forza was at the very least on par with GT visuals, if not ahead of them. Especially in GT5 and GT6 days, where the games were an inconsistent mess.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
During Forza gens 5 and 6 Forza was at the very least on par with GT visuals, if not ahead of them. Especially in GT5 and GT6 days, where the games were an inconsistent mess.

The real issue for me as a player since GT1 was that 5/6 (and still to some extent GTS - hence the procession races) had poor framerate performance (I know 5/6 had lots of other issues but this was the biggie for me). It felt at the same framerate was being sacrificed for pretty screenshots. I hope for the next generation of Gran Turismo it follows the Forza philosophy of framerate being the priority.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Oh hey an actual anwser. Thanks. Was wondering if it was just purely aesthetic.
Or you could reference Gran Turismo 5 from 2010. It had the most comprehensive dynamics (time-of-day and weather) of any racing game at the time (and even today). That's what they should be shooting for.

Start off dry and sunny, change to foggy and raining, end up with a belting sun and a drying circuit. Having to change tyres for conditions. It was magical and it looked amazing. Then imagine all that happening in the night.

Oh yeah, conditions mattered.

Id be hoping next gen with the extra cpu grunt all of the above is indeed included...its one thing to visualise the rain, but another to actually attempt to model it. So yeah, i suspect PD have added the basics in all regards as a test bed, with PS5 allowing them to fully realise their ambition. Day/Night cycle to return etc etc, skidmarks that stay on track, and bigger everything else...

People expecting more out of what PD have shown regarding the wet weather is a bit silly IMO, certainly in the visual dept.
I'm hoping next-gen will be like Gran Turismo 5 on PayStation 5.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Or you could reference Gran Turismo 5 from 2010. It had the most comprehensive dynamics (time-of-day and weather) of any racing game at the time (and even today). That's what they should be shooting for.

Start off dry and sunny, change to foggy and raining, end up with a belting sun and a drying circuit. Having to change tyres for conditions. It was magical and it looked amazing. Then imagine all that happening in the night.

Oh yeah, conditions mattered.

I'm hoping next-gen will be like Gran Turismo 5 on PayStation 5.

That tanked the performance though. GT5 also had much less cars on track.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
That tanked the performance though. GT5 also had much less cars on track.
Yeah...but I played the 720p version with lovely AA and it was fine for the most part.

The new Zen 2 chips read like a measurable increase in processing power so now I do absolutely expect Gran Turismo 5's full dynamics to be realised, over time, in the next-generation Gran Turismo.

Man, I just can't wait to ride through a foggy dawn on the Nordschleife on next gen Gran Turismo.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
If you've got access to an Xbox try the weather in Forza 7 - you've access to three levels of fog (and lots of other weather) and three weather slots per race that'll morph between.
I haven't, unfortunately.

I have got Project CARS and Project CARS 2 though...but I still feel Gran Turismo 5's engine processes real-time environmental changes in the nicest possible way.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Watching the GT Sport Manufacturer Championship. This is about 100 times better than watching a F1 race. Decided to watch "just the first lap" before doing something else and I am currently watching the 3rd race in a row...

The devs need to improve the camera for these races though, focusing on a car instead of a pack of cars makes it weird and you lose some important movements when they are battling for position, specially when there are 3 or more cars together.

Yeah it's somehow quite addicting, the races.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Looks decent enough to me. Closer to reality than Driveclub, which I love but is honestly a weird combo of water-sticking windows and giant beads of water.

Actual race cars usually have water repellent treatment on their windshields, so rain just slides right off and the wipers take care of splashes and such.
Driveclub had good aspects about it but it was annoying how water would collect unnaturally in areas where the wipers couldn't reach. One user mentioned it pooling like mercury. Whereas GTS looks more natural to me but missing some of the streaking mechanics. However, like you said if it was treated with rain x it would just bead and fly off.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Decent amount of SP content to get stuck into, but it's not like the GTs of old with a career mode. There's licence tests, challenges which are good fun, circuit experience which shows you how to drive the tracks sector by sector in the best way possible then do a hot lap; finally there's GT League which doesn't do much in the way of progression but you race against the AI and you get credits for it. You also have arcade races, time trials and a VR mode.
More SP races get added to the GT League with each feature update.

I'm confused, isn't GT league the old career mode? The only this missing that I noticed was the lack of prize cars after finishing a series.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In before people complaining this should have been in the day game one.

Happy with the supoort the game is getting. Best driving game this generation. I can't even keep up with how much there is in the game now.
Well it should have but good on the devs for continuing to support the game. The next gt should have weather day one though since they've done the work now

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
The real issue for me as a player since GT1 was that 5/6 (and still to some extent GTS - hence the procession races) had poor framerate performance (I know 5/6 had lots of other issues but this was the biggie for me). It felt at the same framerate was being sacrificed for pretty screenshots. I hope for the next generation of Gran Turismo it follows the Forza philosophy of framerate being the priority.
GT Sport runs at a silky smooth 60 fps. So I wouldnt be too worried about that going forward.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
GT Sport runs at a silky smooth 60 fps. So I wouldnt be too worried about that going forward.

Yeah, the big issue with the PS3-era when it came to framerate was the hardware itself. Kaz made no secret of how much he disliked it

"At the same time, the conditions for GT6 were really against us, mainly because the PlayStation 3 hardware was a very difficult piece of hardware to develop for, and it caused our development team a lot of stress.

"So [GT]5 and [GT]6 was really a nightmare for us."

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe

It doesn't. If it did there would be single player races with proper rolling and grid starts - but it doesn't. Instead the cars are spread out in a massive convoy.

Create a custom race with all the cars together on a grid and watch the frame rate drop from sixty.

You think those weird processional races exist because Polyphony think it's the future of motosport?