• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
The wet-effect looks much better than I imagined, after expecting at most the same we had in that one driving mission.
It's amazing we have a game that looks better than Driveclub at 60fps! At the start of this gen I thought Driveclub was top of the top because GT and Forza were 60fps and wouldn't touch it.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Eh I guess I kind of spoke ahead of myself. I've only played Sport on a Pro so it's not a fair comparison. Haven't seen what it looks like on a regular PS4.

I play on a Pro too, although I don't have a 4K display. Even without any Pro updates (a crime), there are aspects of Driveclub that are really amazing. Particularly with scenery, weather, and lighting. I think the two games go for different things; GT is more about realism, whereas with Driveclub there's a level of passion and style that is expressed graphically.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's insane the support and new content this game continues to get as it approaches 2 years old.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot better looking than I expected. Figured performance concerns would've made it look rather cheap.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Semantics, it was well done imo, way better then the old format. A game that actually teaches you how to drive instead of powering past brain dead Ai to buy cars to blow past more brain dead AI. I understand how some missed the old format though, just not for me.
I'm in the camp of saying the single player content as it was before was way better but hey, not everything is made for everyone. They went that route with Sport and we'll see how the series will continue.
I'm in that camp too, and i think it's reflected in the sales and countless price cuts they've had already. Really hoping they go back to ''CARPG'' for GT7 or whatever they're going to call it. You can still have good MP while being faithful to the series.

Buying regular roadcars and slowly upgrading them with parts to advance was great and something that's sorely lacking in GT Sport. Far too focused on MP for my tastes.
Every time I see people pining for the old GT carPG to return I can't help but laugh and sigh at the same time lol.

Was it really that entertaining grinding superspeedway 20 times against braindead AI to get money to buy the next car so you could grind another race against braindead AI?

Even if AI is somehow impossibly fixed to act like real players, that's still such a rubbish loop. You really want that back?
I wish not to crush my opponents with skill, I wish to crush them with them with the accumulation of capital.

Yo sorry it's a quote a glob of people, but this series of posts has got my gears turning.

1) there absolutely is a difference between single player content and a campaign. Regular players are showing it. Let's not act like they don't know what they want. I think it's pretty clear that playing GT sport is not doing it for a lot of people. Not everybody. But a lot.

There's a difference. I play the single player content in GT sport and I like it, but it's not like the old GT mode was. The old GT mode was always a sort of disorganized mess with a broken economy and no balance. And people loved it. Plenty of room to improve, but people loved it.

The difference is that the GT mode had a direction. Winning races to earn money (which never f****** happens in Motorsports, by the way) and throwing that money around so you can cheese out the harder races makes for the most natural sense of direction. The player doesn't even need to be told what to do. They instantly got a sense of what to do. The license test gating actually helps greatly with this...

The single player content in GT sport is not organized in a convincing enough way to get this feeling. There's a lot of the roleplay aspect missing. And it ends up making a huge difference.

Some of you may remember me being on the other side of this argument before. I didn't realize how much this s*** mattered. I knew it was there because I've been playing Gran Turismo since day one, but I seriously underestimated how strong this effect is. That is, all the little things that organize that single player content into a campaign with a sense of direction.

2) A real GT mode doesn't have to take a thing away from the sport mode besides development resource. Gran Turismo 2 came on 2 discs. It was two complete self-contained games. You can give one to a friend. Those disks were 'GT' and 'arcade'. They had two completely different structures. You're familiar with the GT, but some may forget that the arcade mode had its own set of unlocks for cars and tracks, the split screen, and a definition of car classes that didn't exist in the GT mode.

If they want to go big, they can have the GT mode and the sport mode be practically two different games using the same cars and tracks.

If it's deemed too big of a job, that's pretty lame. I love sport how it is, but a whole lot of people are feeling left out.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
EYCz2UA.gif

giphy.gif

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
But surely if this was the case then you wouldn't need carrot-on-a-stick RPG mechanics to enjoy playing the game? Isn't that just proving my point about the irritating nature of old style GT mode?

No you are misrepresenting my position.

1, I enjoyed driving.
2, I enjoyed spending the rewards of that driving on parts, cars, tuning etc.

My point being is that my sole enjoyment wasn't related to the latter, with the former being seen as some boring grind to be endured. One just naturally flowed into the other in a fun gameplay loop which I always enjoyed and never felt like a chore.

And for me one part of that loop is missing in GT Sport and I'd like it to be returned. Meanwhile that means I play a heck of a lot more Forza Motorsport 7 than GT Sport.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that the first part of this weekends World Tour event kicks off in 9 hours

The new content will likely be announced on the stream.

Oct 27, 2017
That it looks better than Driveclub is debatable, though. Depends on what you are talking about.

Drive Club is more stylised, I suppose, so it's hard to do a 1-2-1 comparison. Gran Turismo always strives for an ultra-realistic look which can be perceived as being a bit.. sterile? I would argue for GT here but I think personal preferences can make fair arguments the other way.

Also, I say this as a big Drive Club defender who recently re-installed the game after a couple of years, but visually it's quite inconsistent. Some tracks, cars and lighting conditions look substantially worse than I remember. In particular I think the game makes an iffy first impression with some of the early India tracks in the sunshine, where things can look a bit blurry and edgy. Drive Club looks its best when the weather takes hold, and sometimes it's stunning at that.

GT Sport looks so natural though. The rain effects in these video's are stunning and people are right to think it's real life footage at a glance.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the in car view will be up to Driveclub's level to be honest, more cars, double the framerate etc it just isn't going to match it.

Have been really happy with what I have seen though, the effects don't seem over done so racing visibility is still ok.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the long window of support but I really hope this isnt getting in the way of making the next GT a launch title for PS5. That's the best window for GT these days.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I haven't played a GT since the PS3 one and was pretty much burned out on the franchise. Played a lot of Forza Horizons and 7 and loved both of those but after watching the intro I decided to download GT Sport ($19.95 Seriously!) I started playing it last night around 9:00pm and it was 2am when I shut the PS4 down.

My lord I forgot the level of polish these games have.
It reminded me how rare it is to see so much passion in literally every nook and cranny of a game from the Ui and the input sounds to the leveling up system to finally the game itself. I also just got done playing a lot of Driveclub this week and GT is much more visually impressive it is a gorgeous gorgeous looking game. I'm kind of mad at myself I waited so long because there is truly nothing like these games

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Offscreen footage is always weird as it can both make things look bad and also make things look more real!

Can't wait to see what it really looks like in the streams over the weekend.

AndyB1974

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played a GT game in years but this looks really great and I'm tempted to pick this up. Most important thing to me is framerate and I'd be playing this on a Pro, so how is the framerate on Pro? Solid? Any drops?

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought the first gif in the OP was real, until I saw the dude waving the flag and the racer icons.

Dang.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I really hope df does a update vid for the new rain effects, by all means it's a damn good visual update for the game.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
If they achieve this update with no drop in the original frame rate then PD are freaking wizards.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
No you are misrepresenting my position.

1, I enjoyed driving.
2, I enjoyed spending the rewards of that driving on parts, cars, tuning etc.

My point being is that my sole enjoyment wasn't related to the latter, with the former being seen as some boring grind to be endured. One just naturally flowed into the other in a fun gameplay loop which I always enjoyed and never felt like a chore.

And for me one part of that loop is missing in GT Sport and I'd like it to be returned. Meanwhile that means I play a heck of a lot more Forza Motorsport 7 than GT Sport.

Well I think you misrepresented your own position there then, since it seems it's not just the thrill of driving you enjoy.

For me it is the case that I just want to enjoy the driving, which is why I find it irritating when all these extra mechanics (like having to earn money) get in the way of me driving what I want to drive.

This is why I prefer GT Sport over old style GT mode - I don't have to wade through as much of that bloat to get to the tarmac with the car I want to drive.