• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
www.gtplanet.net

Gran Turismo 7 Will Be More Like Classic GT Titles, Says Kazunori Yamauchi

Kazunori Yamauchi has again reaffirmed that Gran Turismo 7 will be a main sequence title in the mold of previous games in the series. The Polyphony Digital studio head was talking to journalist Toshifumi Watanabe for Octane Japan, in an interview published earlier today. While the conversation la
Kazunori Yamauchi has again reaffirmed that Gran Turismo 7 will be a main sequence title in the mold of previous games in the series.

The Polyphony Digital studio head was talking to journalist Toshifumi Watanabe for Octane Japan, in an interview published earlier today. While the conversation largely centered on Scapes, there was plenty of time to talk about the PlayStation 5, Gran Turismo 7, and the "royal purpose" of the series too.

One of the questions posed by Watanabe referred to the identity of Gran Turismo, and its future. Although Yamauchi wouldn't be drawn on the latter part of that, he did make special mention of the influence that Japanese car culture had on the original Gran Turismo, and how that acted as a purpose behind the series.

"I myself grew up as a car enthusiast surrounded by the influence of Japanese automobile manufacturers and the transmission of automobile media," comments Yamauchi, "and that is also the driving force behind my production. Although the title has been played worldwide, I have never forgotten that it originated in Japan, and now I feel the responsibility and mission of inheriting the Japanese automobile culture."

Interestingly, Yamauchi acknowledges that fans may not always follow how Gran Turismo games change from generation to generation. That particularly applies to Gran Turismo Sport, and its shift into esport. "It may have seemed quite outlandish for some people!" he remarked, and notes that support for the game grew in a different way to previous titles, gaining more momentum later in its life.

Sport Mode then, as we've seen in the Gran Turismo 7 trailer last July, still has a major role to play, but GT7 will be nostalgic for those who played the previous games. "While inheriting elements such as the [FIA] championship realized in Sport, Gran Turismo 7 will return to the royal purpose of full volumes like [Gran Turismo] 1-4, and provide the best Gran Turismo experience at present," says Yamauchi.

Of course we've previously heard that GT7 would be a combination of the "past, present, and future" of Gran Turismo, so this reinforcement comes as music to the ears of those fans of classic GT games.

The interview also covers ground like the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, at which Yamauchi has been a guest judge for 11 years, and the real-time ray-tracing capabilities of PS5. You can read the full article — in Japanese — on the Octane Japan website.

Apologies if this was already posted, guess we kinda knew this was the direction of GT7 already but good to hear Kaz further double down on it.

Deleted member 25834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bring it to PC damn it!

I've recently gotten into sim racing and this is on the top of my list. I may eventually pick up a PS5 for this alone.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I brought this up in the PS Studios thread, but it's interesting that he specifically mentions it being like GT1-4. Because 5 and 6 are very much in the same vein. To some extent I just take that as Kaz's disdain for the PS3 (which he's been quite vocal about).

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Good, I play these kinds of games completely single player, so the single player experience is really important.

Also please have a decent economy.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
UnpleasantSillyCarpenterant-size_restricted.gif

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I mean, Gran Turismo car models have already peaked, they can't get any better in my opinion.

What else can they improve on?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yessssssss

I liked Sport, but to nowhere near the degree that I loved classic GT.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Any talk about release year? It seemed like it would be coming soon when it was announced and in follow up marketing, but nothing in a long while now.

Glad they are going back to traditional GT with Sport as an option, but we kinda knew that already.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
This better not be cross gen 🤞

We both know it definitely could be. Depends if the're using the 'future-proof' scans they did before or starting from the ground up.
Because 5 and 6 are very much in the same vein. To some extent I just take that as Kaz's disdain for the PS3 (which he's been quite vocal about).

Wasnt aware of 5 +6 being a departure, were they just more incremental? Or lacking in content? And what did Kaz say about PS3 lol

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
This better not be cross gen 🤞
Have you seen it? GTS on steroids but that's it so far.

To be fair this news is old but still as distressing to hear. I don't want the traditional race events...I need a properly integrated championship system.

It also, absolutely, must have a full 24hr cycle and fully dynamic weather.

God, it could be so much better than anything that came before.

Oct 26, 2017
Start with a mini until I find a race I can grind to get something fast: my GT journey. Jazzy menus and let me spend hours tinkering and buying parts I don't understand. Can't wait.

Last edited:

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't surprise me given that the reveal trailer and gameplay literally showed off the classic GT World menu, loading super-quick on PS5. The loading times alone will be a huge step up for the series, and hopefully there will be other improvements as well. Personally I want Motorstorm-style mud in the rally races. Oh, and rain, lots and lots of rain.

OP
OP
tapedeck

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Any talk about release year? It seemed like it would be coming soon when it was announced and in follow up marketing, but nothing in a long while now.

Glad they are going back to traditional GT with Sport as an option, but we kinda knew that already.
At this point I think it's maybe a mid to late 2022 game, getting it out this year seems pretty unlikely. But hey if that means a more polished/fully featured game then I'm all for it.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Sony, if you're listening, MAKE THIS FULLY PLAYABLE IN VR! I know Sport has a mode, but GT7 needs FULL VR COMPATIBILITY!

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt aware of 5 +6 being a departure, were they just more incremental? Or lacking in content? And what did Kaz say about PS3 lol

They're both very much in line with the previous four games. And 5 had an obscene amount of content. As far as Kaz and the PS3 goes

"The age of the PS3 for us was sort of a nightmare. We really had to deal with this situation for a while where, 'This is what we want to achieve, but all we can do is this.' So there was a lot of frustration that was built up. The PS3 hardware is something that, at first glance, looks like it's able to do this certain level of things, but in actuality, it can't.

"In terms of development, it was really really difficult and the games, after all the development efforts were put into it, were very very low. I think it was just that the balance as a piece of hardware wasn't very good. But the PS4 is so good. This time we're really able to do and achieve what we want to do, so it's really fun."

www.gamespot.com

Gran Turismo Sport Will Let You Earn A Real Racing License

Kazunori Yamauchi comments on Gran Turismo Sport's numberless title, calls the PS3 era "a nightmare," and outlines his ambitious plans for the future of the franchise.

When the [PlayStation 2] came out, one unique characteristic of that system was that the screen fill rate was very fast. Even looking back now, it's very fast. In some cases, it's faster than the PS3. There, we were able to use a lot of textures. It was able to do that read-modify-write, where it reads the screen, you take the screenshot, and you modify it and send it back. It could do that very quickly.

"I don't know if anybody remembers, but when the PS2 first came out, the first thing I did on that was a demo for the announcement. I showed a demo of GT3 that showed the Seattle course at sunset with the heat rising off the ground and shimmering. You can't re-create that heat haze effect on the PS3 because the read-modify-write just isn't as fast as when we were using the PS2. There are things like that. Another reason is because of the transition to full HD.

How dangerous driving helped Sony’s Kazunori Yamauchi design Gran Turismo 6 (interview)

If you see a car do a wheelie in Gran Turismo 6, that's based on the creator's own experience driving a car.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I really only played Sport and it seems like a complete racing game. How is it not the same as GT6 for example?

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As long as online has Sport-esque modes then that's fine. It was thanks to the completely lackluster single pretty content at GT Sport's launch that convinced me to try online. And it was so good that there's no going back to racing AI for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I skipped Sport because it was too divergent. I prefer the traditional single-player model. I also don't care for any online stuff.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for this. I played a fair bit of 5, but haven't been hooked since 3. I feel like the SSD is going to work wonders with getting me to invest some real time into title like this.