• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017
Would love to see gt7 make use of the alleged audio capabilities of the ps5 to finally deliver a good sound experience. Plus cross gen could be made with, hopefully, few if any compromises.

GT's crappy sound has nothing to do with PS4 hardware capabilities, but audio recording/design/direction. I mean, I wholeheartedly agree with you that I'd love to hear decent engines and effects, but the problem was not fidelity in the reproduction.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I think it will be cross gen too, why ?

- Sony announces that PS4 and PS5 will play online together
- If it's really GT7, in terms of game design, I don't see how PS4 can hold back game design, therefore they can do PS5 version with better graphics and used DualSense new features
- GT7 available on PS4 would secure at least 2 million units sold, not negligible imo

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
GT7 on PS5 only is a must to push hardware. If they design with that 9 gb/s ssd speed than :o.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
- If it's really GT7, in terms of game design, I don't see how PS4 can hold back game design
cpu is too weak for proper physics, assetto corsa for ps4 was a shadow of pc version because of it, and you will not do two different physics engines for both ps4 and ps5 if you want crossgen multiplaform so no, ps4 gt7 would hold down massively what is possible on ps5, not too mention that all crossgen titles has currentgent graphics only with bump up resolution and frames (see xsx "gameplay" presentation vs ue5 demo)

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
cpu is too weak for proper physics, assetto corsa for ps4 was a shadow of pc version because of it, and you will not do two different physics engines for both ps4 and ps5 if you want crossgen multiplaform so no, ps4 gt7 would hold down massively what is possible on ps5, not too mention that all crossgen titles has currentgent graphics only with bump up resolution and frames (see xsx "gameplay" presentation vs ue5 demo)
Or maybe they just do like Assetto Corsa and FIFA games and the old gen version is worse to play with no cross-play.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Sony still have unannounced PS4 games
I am pretty sure whenever PS5 is launched, Sony will have a ton of PS5 only software designed with PS5 limitations. Sony has to give incentive to upgrade! This is just an educated guess but their business model is based on expanding user base and exclusives.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't know that, well we'll see then

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It's a racing game. Having a PS4 version isn't going to significantly limit what they can accomplish. Most PS5 enhancements will be strictly bells, whistles, and audio-visual improvements which increase immersion.
PD didn't include dynamic weather and D/N cycle, because the PS4 couldn't render their RT solution dynamically. For a racing game that's a pretty big difference, because racing gets affected by weather.
And you haven't follow granturismo creation over the years. The assets aren't created just for one generation.
PD said this about GT5-6 cars and had to redo them for GTS. I don't expect them to do this with the amazing GTS cars, but the tracks need a lot of work.
Oh yeah, dynamic tod and weather, still can't believe this wasn't in for GTS.
The PS4 can't do real time Ray tracing good enough.
You're thinking of the wrong company, Sony is not afraid to leave their old platform behind.
Sony released cross gen games or games for the previous gen in the past. Including a Gran Turismo with the 6th installment. And there's more...
latest

- If it's really GT7, in terms of game design, I don't see how PS4 can hold back game design, therefore they can do PS5 version with better graphics and used DualSense new features
The usual changes are physics, AI, ... , but for GT specifically the PS4 hardware denied PD to implement dynamic weather and day/night cycle, because they used their RT solution to create the stellar lighting. I think racing games really change when these elements are dynamic, because the racing line, breaking spots and pit strategies change and add new gameplay elements.

Last edited:

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I am pretty sure whenever PS5 is launched, Sony will have a ton of PS5 only software designed with PS5 limitations. Sony has to give incentive to upgrade! This is just an educated guess but their business model is based on expanding user base and exclusives.
They will not have a ton of PS5 exclusive software at launch or even in the first year, how many true PS4 exclusives did they have for the first 3 years?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
They will not have a ton of PS5 exclusive software at launch or even in the first year, how many true PS4 exclusives did they have for the first 3 years?
I think 3 to 4 ps5 Exclsuvies from their first party is quite a bit. I don't know where this theory that Sony won't have any PS5 exclusive software to showcase the hardware is coming from. A ton of their studios have been quiet and their second party / third party publishing arm has been quiet for a good while.

And with PS4 they had Knack, Killzone, DriveClub, InFamous Second Son (launch window), and Resogun. That's 5 games :)

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Since this is a sports game, it could easily get crossgen release. Or GT7 SP modes will be made only for PS5, but multiplayer will just be GTSport.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I mean 3 years in brings you up to the PSVR launch. Including that and digital titles, SIE published PS4-only games were at around 25-30 mark at that point, roughly.

A 'ton' is a nebulous term though, for sure. First couple of years are always hard to predict, and can be relatively slow. But I expect however prolific they are in those years, most of their 'marquee' output from PS5 launch on will be PS5-only. On PS4, outside of smaller digital titles, LBP3, and MLB games, all the 'bigger' stuff was PS4 only. There was not a HUGE amount in the first couple of years, for PS5 I'd expect at least a similar level of output. If they do better than that, then great.

With something like GT it's hard to predict. They could for sure go for a MLB like approach where it's cross gen for longer. We'll see.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
This is not true. Console versions were slower at getting tyre model updates (like a month) but always caught up.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I just want to say this: a racing game is essential for a console launch imo. And not like a middle of the road one, one that pushes the console. I love owning a racer like NFS Rivals at the PS4 launch and later Driveclub because it gives you a good understanding of what the console is capable of as a showcase piece. So even if there's no GT7 I really hope Sony has locked down a racer somehow. GT7 would be amazing. Even if they just do something smaller like Prologue or something and sell it for a fraction of the price. I also think Polyphony takes too long with their titles and I hope that has been sorted out in some way.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Better haptics on the controller and resistive triggers could be amazing in a racing game too

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
If GT7 has full support of PSVR, I will HAVE to buy a PS5 day one. Not like to, or would be nice to. HAVE to. The potential is immense.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Usually when I hear about a rumor or "leak" as big as this, I look for certain insiders to shut it down the rumor in threads.... or maybe fake insiders to say they heard about something similar but were not really sure.

BUT if I don't see any posts at all (excitement, doubt, intrigue, etc).... then it gives me the impression they are just 👀

this is so bad i am convinced it's rea

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I have a hard time believing that a rig manufacturer would have advance knowledge of this. If it was Logitech or Fanatec (wheel makers) I'd have an easier time thinking it was a leak.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm maybe alone in this, but racing games are one clear area to me where dynamic lighting (at least for the track) isn't necessary. Day/night cycles are weird if you fast forward the time (like Driveclub) and if you dont' then normal races will barely change the light. Just bake the tracks for a few times of day to save performance and spend that on the cars lighting/physics

Rain is one of those things everyone screams for but after a few 'ooh' races I normally avoid as I can't see shit.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it's fake but it's possible GT7 is coming for PS5 launch. Every console needs racing game at launch :P

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I came into this thread thinking it would just be some mocked-up logo, but that lockup is more professional than I think a licensee would invent on their own. It's not just a big Helvetica "7" next to the GT logo; the 7 is well-integrated into the GT symbol and angled to match it, and placed in a lockup where it creates symmetry with the bottom half of the G.

I think that might just be the official GT7 logo.
I can't see that being an official logo.

Sony/PlayStation/Polyphony Digital to my knowledge have never used the numeric on the logo. The prefix has always been 'GRAN TURISMO', not the logo.

Unless there's been a change of strategy this isn't the franchise's identity. It's something else. It's fake.

Let's face it, if a Gran Turismo is released this year it'll be either
- a cut-down version specifically developed for PS5, or
- Gran Turismo Sport upgraded for PS5

I doubt a full Gran Turismo is going to be ready for this year.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I would love there to be a GT7 at launch, but the fact that one of the demos used to show off the new controller was GT Sport makes me thing we will get a patch for GT Sport initially.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I just want to say this: a racing game is essential for a console launch imo. And not like a middle of the road one, one that pushes the console. I love owning a racer like NFS Rivals at the PS4 launch and later Driveclub because it gives you a good understanding of what the console is capable of as a showcase piece. So even if there's no GT7 I really hope Sony has locked down a racer somehow. GT7 would be amazing. Even if they just do something smaller like Prologue or something and sell it for a fraction of the price. I also think Polyphony takes too long with their titles and I hope that has been sorted out in some way.

I don't agree that PD takes too long (except GT5), but yeah a GT at launch would be really good for both PS5 and particularly for PD/GT brand.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm maybe alone in this, but racing games are one clear area to me where dynamic lighting (at least for the track) isn't necessary. Day/night cycles are weird if you fast forward the time (like Driveclub) and if you dont' then normal races will barely change the light. Just bake the tracks for a few times of day to save performance and spend that on the cars lighting/physics

Rain is one of those things everyone screams for but after a few 'ooh' races I normally avoid as I can't see shit.
I'd say it's the exact opposite, because in most open world games with dynamic time of day and weather nothing changes from a gameplay perspective. You just kill the monsters the same was as before. It would actually be cool, if spells would be effected by rain.

Racing sims change quit a bit, because when done well track temperature, racing line, pit strategies, break points, ... change with different weather and day/night cycle and this is very exciting in longer races. Especially endurance races benefit from it.

GT5-6 didn't use the RT lighting model GTS uses so whats your point?

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017

The world is a bit more grey since we don't have a Ridge Racer at console launch to lose our minds at how good it looks.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Isn't it kinda funny how every potential game rumored/leaked for the PS5 is written off as probably a 2021 release?

At this rate the PS5 would not have a single 2020launch exclusive.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
So they confirmed they didn't make it themselves, but rather found it on the web where it's nowhere to be found.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd say it's the exact opposite, because in most open world games with dynamic time of day and weather nothing changes from a gameplay perspective. You just kill the monsters the same was as before. It would actually be cool, if spells would be effected by rain.

Racing sims change quit a bit, because when done well track temperature, racing line, pit strategies, break points, ... change with different weather and day/night cycle and this is very exciting in longer races. Especially endurance races benefit from it.

GT5-6 didn't use the RT lighting model GTS uses so whats your point?
That dynamic tod and weather has nothing to do with RT.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Would love to see gt7 make use of the alleged audio capabilities of the ps5 to finally deliver a good sound experience. Plus cross gen could be made with, hopefully, few if any compromises.

By good sound are you talking about engine sounds? Because Sport is pretty well known for having very good engine sounds. This isn't the Polyphony/GT of old. They made huge improvements with it

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was pretty much revealed when they were showing off that 8K tv demo over a year ago?

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
People are forgetting Polyphony's current RT solution is baked by using a server cluster for tracks while they use GI for the cars

www.gtplanet.net

Polyphony Digital Reveals GT Sport's "Iris" Ray Tracing System at CEDEC 2018

Since Polyphony Digital first launched Gran Turismo, the company has been creating some of the most graphically impressive titles in the video game industry. Detailed car models and beautiful lighting has been a hallmark of the series for more than 20 years. It's a bit of a mysterious art, though

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, with all these rumors and insider information (verified), 4th of June is starting to get so hyped. It has the potential to be a defining moment for the next generation.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That dynamic tod and weather has nothing to do with RT.
The lightning model has everything to do with it as lucidium pointed out before I read your post. PD has to bake RT and dynamic day/night cycle aren't possible due to their Iris model and the PS4 capabilities.
People are forgetting Polyphony's current RT solution is baked by using a server cluster for tracks while they use GI for the cars

www.gtplanet.net

Polyphony Digital Reveals GT Sport's "Iris" Ray Tracing System at CEDEC 2018

Since Polyphony Digital first launched Gran Turismo, the company has been creating some of the most graphically impressive titles in the video game industry. Detailed car models and beautiful lighting has been a hallmark of the series for more than 20 years. It's a bit of a mysterious art, though

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
OK, if you want to expand userbase you'd put them on other devices, not just on one piece of hardware that is likely going to have a limited supply. You have 110 customers now, so you essentially have to question your investment and where it makes sense. That is why you are seeing huge titles like The Last of Us 2 come out on the PS4 and not delayed for the PS5. If GT is going to come just for the PS5 I would imagine one of three things are going to happen.

A) it's a smaller title like GT Sport started as or a Prologue
B) it's cross-gen
C) it doesn't come out at launch

Polyphony Digital are not efficient developers, they take their time because they are perfectionists. Also your comment about a ton of PS5 software is kind of misleading because of course Microsoft has a ton of Series X software too. You are implying all this software from Microsoft is going to be cross-gen because you want to oversell the PS5. Microsoft is making Series X only games now, just like Sony is making PS5 only content. Difference is Sony plans to release PS5 only games right from the start but don't expect a huge wealth of those games before Seris X only games come out.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
I would love nothing more than for a new Gran Turismo to come out at launch.

A dream scenario would be that and Demon Soul's. Fingers crossed.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
OK, if you want to expand userbase you'd put them on other devices, not just on one piece of hardware that is likely going to have a limited supply. You have 110 customers now, so you essentially have to question your investment and where it makes sense. That is why you are seeing huge titles like The Last of Us 2 come out on the PS4 and not delayed for the PS5. If GT is going to come just for the PS5 I would imagine one of three things are going to happen.

A) it's a smaller title like GT Sport started as or a Prologue
B) it's cross-gen
C) it doesn't come out at launch

Polyphony Digital are not efficient developers, they take their time because they are perfectionists. Also your comment about a ton of PS5 software is kind of misleading because of course Microsoft has a ton of Series X software too. You are implying all this software from Microsoft is going to be cross-gen because you want to oversell the PS5. Microsoft is making Series X only games now, just like Sony is making PS5 only content. Difference is Sony plans to release PS5 only games right from the start but don't expect a huge wealth of those games before Seris X only games come out.

They want to expand the userbase of the console not the game. Have you forgotten the purpose of exclusives?