• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017

So sterile and boring.
Where are the airplanes and lasers and fireworks and concerts and paragliders and sharks and chuck Norris and ...

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I see someone say something like "it's so lifeless" or "this little detail isn't up to snuff, game is disappointing", in my head I read "needs more cowbell" because that's how absurd those takes are, lol.

Tell me about it. It's a car enthusiast/track racing sim like wth do people want? lol

So sterile and boring.
Where are the airplanes and lasers and fireworks and concerts and paragliders and sharks and chuck Norris and ...

Thank you.

I have seen some races on TV...and other than the crowd doing backflips or doing the wave...I'm not sure what some ppl want.

Oct 29, 2017
They want airplanes swooping 50ft over the track as Twitch streamers throw confetti out the back and guide you to the next waypoint and a volcano erupts in the background

Polyphony really needs to overhaul the gameplay mechanics too. I mean you literally just drive around the track again and again? And all you have to do to win is have the lowest time? Laughably simplistic mechanics for a 2022 game. Like at least implement a charge meter that lets you unleash a super attack. Maybe a capture-the-flag mode.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Needs more bushes, fences and a confetti canon...lol

Looks great, and i'm happy that "real" GT is back.
Would have loved to see some dynamic weather effects, that are in the game.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Thread Derailment Across Numerous Posts; Prior Infractions
They want airplanes swooping 50ft over the track as Twitch streamers throw confetti out the back and guide you to the next waypoint and a volcano erupts in the background

So sterile and boring.
What exactly is so wrong with wanting a racing game with Gran Turismo 7's level of graphics and fidelity, but is easy to control:

Has an actual sense of speed with alternate routes:

With some setpieces to liven up the arena:

Arcade racers basically have nothing these days since cooporations pushed boring simmy open world took over, it's time to spread the wealth around and give back.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Funny how I hate open world games and roguelikes and most games with guns.

Take the budget of this game and give it to the people who make fun racers like Motorstorm, Burnout, Cruisin USA, Crash Team Racing, whatever. Make crafted tracks with verticality and alternate routes (but no Burnout Paradise open world nonsense). Bam, you've revitalized a great genre.

I've always found the high production values are wasted in simmy bore racers. The only draw for games like Gran Turismo has been the visuals, and they've had it for so long diminishing returns set in, sales have been spirialing down and now you don't have anything to rely on. The driving and AI has been unchanged since Gran Turismo 4.

So spread the wealth around. Let some of the fun racers have access to the same production levels. Sim folk don't lose anything.

Wrong.

FH5 looks plenty good enough, so that might be up your alley.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the first gameplay from the game I've seen that's truly impressed me. Everything here looks fantastic; the lighting, shadows, clouds, shaders, models, materials, IQ, suspension undulations, sounds, shifts etc. Everything just looks so cohesive and realistic.

Pretty much the only negative I have is that the sense of speed still isn't there. Needs more camera shake, blur or something, as it doesn't feel as fast or aggressive as it should.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What exactly is so wrong with wanting a racing game with Gran Turismo 7's level of graphics and fidelity, but is easy to control:

Arcade racers basically have nothing these days since cooporations pushed boring simmy open world took over, it's time to spread the wealth around and give back.
There's nothing wrong with wanting those types of racing games, you're just being weirdly antagonistic.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If there's one game that's going to make me buy a PS5 before PSVR2 launches, it's this game.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
cool input. they should make a completely different game, got it.
Basically, lol.

All this post does is prove other ppl's point tho.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Needs more camera shake, blur or something, as it doesn't feel as fast or aggressive as it should.
I went back and it feels like the Deep Forest Raceway gameplay has way more cockpit camera bobbing/shaking even down the main straight, and looks like the car is moving around and vibrating way more as you'd expect.

Wonder if it's something they're still tweaking or something you can tweak the intensity of yourself.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, maybe I was a bit cheeky with that last post. But what's wrong with adding some arcade sliders the same way Dirt 5 does, so that fun loving players can play the game and have the cars handle well? Would that really be that hard to code in?

this isn't a boring arcade racer.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017

. . .

Nothing's wrong with it. It just isn't Gran Turismo. If you are looking for an arcade racer, look elsewhere. By now, we pretty much know what to expect from GT with each iteration...more refinement. Yes, I know they deviated from that but it looks like this will be a proper GT upgrade.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Nothing's wrong with it. It just isn't Gran Turismo. If you are looking for an arcade racer, look elsewhere. By now, we pretty much know what to expect from GT with each iteration...more refinement. Yes, I know they deviated from that but it looks like this will be a proper GT upgrade.
Yup I expect a CARPG and this is exactly what I've been wanting to play.
This game is more sim than arcade but not so sim that it's totally inaccessible for certain people a really good blend. And the amount of tuning etc just makes it so great.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Okay, maybe I was a bit cheeky with that last post. But what's wrong with adding some arcade sliders the same way Dirt 5 does, so that fun loving players can play the game and have the cars handle well? Would that really be that hard to code in?

Yeah, arcade racing is just the antithesis of GT and the specific feel they want to go for, I doubt they want to do it and if they did, it would take a lot of additional work and playtesting because they'd want it to be perfect. Considering how long it takes them to complete these games already I'm not sure fans would be thrilled to see a game mode they're generally not interested in adding to dev time.

I want MotorStorm back badly but I don't want a totally different experience from Polyphony to just be an attempt from Sony to throw a bone to arcade racer fans. They should just make a new arcade racer (which I hope they're doing).

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that even at it's most realistic settings, Dirt 5 still has pretty arcadey handling. GT7 would have to completely redo their physics-based handling model to do what you want them to do.

Sounds like what you really want is Grid Legends.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I love arcade racers, I'm a Motorstom fanboy in fact. But this is GT, and we also need it. It is not arcade, but it's accessible, and you can even drive really cars on really tracks and maybe even karts (if not mistaken) that do perfectly fit the arcade feel.
And honestly, online racing in GT Sport is extremely satisfying, and GT7 will probably expand on that.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Wanting that game is fine. But why ask for it here? I wouldn't walk into a Halo thread and say "FPS games suck, they should have made a side scroller instead!" and expect to be taken seriously.

Oct 27, 2017

You're asking for a fundamentally different product.

If your point is that there should be more arcade racers, I'm with you and I think the majority of other posters in this thread would be too.

Why you'd ask for it in this thread, for a series that's been a known quantity for over 20 years, is just a bit odd. It's OK for you to just admit you don't understand the appeal of games like this.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Just curious, is the general consensus that it looks great/amazing?

Also, for what it is worth, I thought Driveclub had the best rain ever and did look nextgen. And the drifting/arcady nature of the controls felt good for me there. I tried GT Sport and there was always something restrictive about the driving. Idk.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
And the drifting/arcady nature of the controls felt good for me there. I tried GT Sport and there was always something restrictive about the driving. Idk.
DriveClub is a pure arcade racing game. Gran Turismo is more sim than arcade racing game.

If you play a racing game like Assetto Corsa (pure simulation racing game) you will feel even more restricted.

DireStr8s

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't buy without a DEEP discount if the visual noise on fine metal track details and pop in aren't finally eradicated. I know that's nit-picky af but it's important to me & I've already been burned more than once this gen (looking at u Wreckfest & Death Stranding DC).

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
Man can't wait for this. Looks fantastic. The sound is pretty decent as well. Cockpitview is superb.

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
I won't buy without a DEEP discount if the visual noise on fine metal track details and pop in aren't finally eradicated. I know that's nit-picky af but it's important to me & I've already been burned more than once this gen (looking at u Wreckfest & Death Stranding DC).
Gonna need to wait then. Even the advanced PC sim racer games with beast rigs still have pop in. This will be a problem for this gen still.

Wish it wasn't the case. But for me personally it's not a deal Breaker if not bad.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
What a mess of a thread. We have Forza Horizon 5 for great graphics and arcade bombastic style. No need to come beg for GT to become what it never was.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
2ER.gif