• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best side-scrolling shmup series?

• Gradius

Votes: 181 35.8%
  • R-Type

Votes: 144 28.5%
  • Darius

Votes: 56 11.1%
  • Thunder Force

Votes: 103 20.4%
  • Other

Votes: 22 4.3%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Which of these side-scrolling shmup series is, in your opinion, the best?

I am partial to Thunder Force myself, particularly 3 and 4, which are games I played obsessively back in the day. Curiously, unlike the others, TF actually started as a top-down shooter in the first game, then switched to half top-down half-side-scrolling in 2, and then went full side-scrolling from 3 onward, and by pretty much everyone's account was better for it. 2 is solid, 5 is quite good but not as brilliant as 4, and 6 was a half-hearted rehash of the previous games.

Gradius is consistently good and probably my second choice. No real weak spots here although the games do blur together a bit in my memory.

The first R-Type is outstanding, a landmark game. R-Type 2 is a bit eh, 3 and Delta are great, Final is just ok.

Darius is consistently fine but never outstanding. G-Darius on the PS1 is the best one here imo.

and that's my take.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I really want to play more shmups but most modern releases have infinite lives and I always burn out on them because of that

Gradius V on PS2 had an amazing progression system that kept me hooked, I wish more games followed that template

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is always a tough one. I think I'd put Thunder Force below the other three: it's a crazy spectacle and so aesthetically strong but 2's overhead stuff and the relatively easy difficulty level of 3 and 5 make me hesitant to put it on the same level as Gradius, Darius, and R-Type. And among those three, man, what a tough fucking call. I'd say the earlier Darius games don't really hold a candle to R-Type and Gradius but Darius Gaiden and DBAC do.

this is tough dude, did I mention that this is tough

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Gradius Gaiden, G Darius, Thunder Force IV, R-Type III... please don't make me choose.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey now, you can't make me choose. It's much easier to pick the best game in each series:

Gradius Gaiden or V depending on which day it is.
G Darius
R-Type Delta

Haven't played much Thunder Force unfortunately.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Like picking a favorite child

Thunder Force for the music
R-Type for the ship variety
Darius for Zuntata
Gradius for being Gradius

I think I'll go with Raystorm/Galatic Attack

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Let the record show that of that list I selected R-Type because I gotta go with what my heart said immediately and not let my stupid brain get too involved in the matter.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
june_is_boss_month_sig__2__thunder_force_iv_by_the_coop-d8lhpkt.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_pgwq8gnFa71r7zc2ko1_400.gif

p8wOBp.gif

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
I would argue that Darius Gaiden is way better than G-Darius. Also I'm garbage at G-Darius, but I was able to 1LC Gaiden.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of the series' have amazing games (and some lesser ones) but Thunder Force III and IV are still my top ones with Darius Gaiden close behind. R-Type 1 had the biggest impact on me but I feel other games surpassed it.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Thunderforce IV . When I got this title on the megadrive it blew me away. I had never seen such graphics.
Still my favorite shoot em up.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Hard decision but I'm going with r-type. There's a number of good games in the series. The original is one of the all-time classic soundtracks, the boss theme... Iconic.

Red and blue twisted lasers. little orange balls that turn into big orange balls. There's a lot to love here.

Thunder Force is right there though.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
R-Type for me. Delta consumed my life.

I actually have TF4 on Mega Drive, but have never played it! I should hook it up this weekend.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a Darius fan myself. The art and visual design of the Darius is unmatched among these series by far. Playing G-Darius for the first time was a revelation

Oct 25, 2017
Thunderforce 4 was fuckin thrilling the first time I played it and might be one of my favorite shmup experiences
But maaannn R-type delta is just too good.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Gradius by a nose, maybe just because it ultimately brought Parodius about.

Manekast

Oct 25, 2017
Byron Bay
Played Thunderforce 2/3/4/5 back in the day when I was a youngster obsessively until I perfected them.

Damned if I can do that these days. 2 is my fave as it was my first and I loved the top down stages as well.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Thunder Force here. I just have a strong, strong love of the series. Since I was a Sega dude in the 90s, Thunder Force was my mana.
The design, the music, the bosses, just everything.
I've played Thunder Force 3, 4, 5 and 6 for my Extra Life streams every year for the past 6 years because I HAVE to play them. I simply must.

This is no slight to Gradius though.
The Gradius and Salamander series are absolute classics and set the benchmark for shmups in near perpetuity.
As already noted, Gradius V (and I would say Gradius Gaiden comes close as well) may be the best shmup ever.

As an aside, shout out to my Raiden boyz out there.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
From the Gradius games gave birth to the Parodius series. I just love them!

From the soundtracks to some of the most imaginative bosses ever and that ever important Gradius style gameplay. The Parodius series just delivers.

OrcrkmT.gif

WQOBLSe.gif

SHKXOnS.gif

lhQaQCh.gif

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Hard.
But R-Type.
It came and changed everything; the pod, the beam, the biomechanical theme (I believe baraduke did it first but R-Type did it better) weapons. Other games in the series are mostly good with two exceptions: Leo (though that's more of a spin off) which kind of sucks and Delta which is an absolute masterpiece.

I like but don't go crazy over Gradius (prefer Parodius myself despite it being basically the same game, or Salamander, though that's not much of a series with only two entries, number 2 being ultimately underwhelming after the promising start).

Darius definitely is the weakest of the bunch for me. Great soundtrack and all the fish though. And Gaiden is legit great.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Gradius by far for me because I had the luck of living the franchise in the arcade itself, using all my money for years on that and meeting a lot of new friends who loves Gradius and STG in the process. The day I finished the original arcade Gradius III is still one of the happiest days of my life as a "gamer".

All those franchises are fucking awesome anyway.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gradius by far for me because I had the luck of living the franchise in the arcade itself, using all my money for years on that and meeting a lot of new friends who loves Gradius and STG in the process. The day I finished the original arcade Gradius III is still one of the happiest days of my life as a "gamer".

Arcade Gradius III is so insanely hard. None of the versions of it allow for continues, as far as I know? Which is insane for 1989. Props, that's wild.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
I chose r-type for the series (Delta my fav), but for individual games my favorite side scrolling shmups are einhander and last resort.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
Wot, no tate shmups? For shame, OP.

Although I do have a warm place in my heart for the Gradius series, especially the Parodius games (which I would have voted for if they'd been an option), this time I have to give a shout out to the Darius series, especially for Darius Gaiden and DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours. Gaiden just can't be beat gameplay-wise, and D-BURST is a big enough game on its own (3000+ stages!!!) that you'll probably never see the end of it even without buying the cripplingly-expensive DLC. (Seriously - wait for a sale.)

That, and I thought (rightly) that Gradius was walking this poll easy, and Darius needs the representation, so.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Personal take:

Gameplay -> Gradius
Lore and aesthetic -> R-Type
Music -> Thunder Force
Being two player -> Darius, except if Gradius includes Salamander, because then why is Darius even here

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think i can realistic pick one series over another, ended up choosing Thunder Force because of my history with it (Mega Drive is my favorite console) but all of them is so good.
I mean who can say no to Zuntata: