• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
A Reddit user, dave_the_stu , posted his sadness by explaining his situation: Got a Xbox One controller with a missing L button, caused by his pet pulling the button apart from the controller and stowed it away somewhere.

9e2hlzwfa7841.jpg

Loverboy21 suggested to dave_the_stu to start playing Dark Souls 3 No-Blocking Challenge run.

This thread is inspired by the broken controller and the comment itself.

Post whatever broken controller you know of, like a missing button, a Joycon controller with R-stick drifting randomly, or a Sega Genesis with X, Y and Z buttons mushy. Then using that broken controller, try to play a game you know of that will make the original game MUCH MORE challenging than it is.

Game Difficulty can be challengingly easy, or maddening difficult.

Got any suggestions?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Fallout 3/NV/4 without the button used for opening the pipboy

good luck!
(and yes i know there are challenge runs for this, watched some even)

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Played SF2 on Snes once with a dpad that wouldn't hit diagonal lowers so, you couldn't crouch block . It was maddening. But it was sort of like the arcades with broken sticks lol

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Mario with no Sprint button. It'd be so boring that it's a challenge to play.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon is kinda hard to play with the joy-con drift. Select a move and in the split-second you press a, the controller drifts to another.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
I tried replaying KH2 on my PS2 with a controller that had broken L1/L2 and R1/R2 buttons. I got to the Tron light cycle minigame and got stuck because I couldn't change direction.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I played most of destiny 2 with a randomly drifting right stick. It was really f'n annoying but i got through it 😂🤣.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro (PS4) with a broken L1. Hmm good luck lol

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I have a first generation PS4 controller that has the dreaded R2 glitch. So needless to say I lost a lot of online races (gtav online racing, the crew races, etc etc) because you literally can't tell until it is too late. You just think you're driving bad and everyone else just keeps passing you.

It wasn't until I checked the trigger test in ds4windows on PC where I noticed I wasnt getting a full trigger press. Went out and immediately bought a newer controller (2nd gen) and started destroying people.

It was like I released a limiter and emerged from the hyperbolic time chamber.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
We've actually been doing this - my Saturn 6 player adapter is on the blink so during games of death tank, very occasionally it'll switch u who is controllling each tank! Super fun but you can't rely on winning by doing well :)

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Play Call of Duty but you can't fire a shot.
Pretty doable until you get an on rails turret section to be fair, on easier difficulties it's easy to knife everything and grenades/equipment help too. All the early COD games had respawning enemies anyway so you were just pushing up to a trigger point that would let the mission move on, you could probably run past a surprising amount of enemies to get through most levels

T Rex

Nov 17, 2017
Death Stranding with a Dualshock 4 whose shoulder triggers register a right analog stick movement when they are held. The camera spins in a circle around Norman Reedus whenever L2 & R2 are held to balance (which is often). This was my experience for the 10 hours I played this week :(

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo 64 controller (specifically the analog stick) and most 3d games. From experience there was a time mine was basically broken and I did not have the money to fix it, felt like torture trying to play anything.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
A broken analogue stick and the UFC games, say good bye to grapples and escapes.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Skyward Sword with a Wii controller.

That's it. Doesn't need to be broken. Just try and finish it.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I busted R triggers on my two Dreamcast controllers trying to do Crazy Dashes and Limit Cuts in Crazy Taxi. One got super loose while the other wouldn't depress fully.

I didn't get another controller until trying to beat the motorcycle part in Shenmue and failing repeatedly because I couldn't go full speed as I was using the controller where the trigger didn't depress fully.

The controllers were Japanese models which I hear were flimsier, and I never personally had this issue with Euro controllers.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
No broken controllers, but my DS-Lite has broken shoulder buttons and parts of the touch screen don't work. I tried playing an Ace Attorney game on it and literally could not make progress.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Super Monkey Ball with any sort of analog drift sounds like a nightmare

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I've been using a PS3 controller with busted analog sticks for a few years now. For most games including shooters I was able to adapt. But trying to play Skate with screwed up sticks was literally impossible. I managed to do a few of the early goals but after beating the almost impossible to fail ones I couldn't get much further.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The yoga mission on GTAV with a DS4 with stick issues. I had to buy a new controller just to get past it.