• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Toumari made a separate thread focused on the new IP bit, but GQ posted a meaty article/interview on the development of TLoU Part II that's really excellent. It looks into Neil's inspirations, how the team works, etc etc - very detailed stuff. The full article is here: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/the-last-of-us-part-ii-neil-druckmann-interview

I initially shared some quotes, but it got lost by issues. Whatever.

Seriously, though - just give it a read. It's an excellent piece.

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a problem with the format? it's not showing the quotes.

TheBioLover

Oct 25, 2017
image0.png

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
That was a great interview, spoiler warning for people who want to go in blind. There are talks about some scenes in the game that I don't think is in any trailer we've seen. Its more description of what they're doing when shooting motion capture, and also description of the final day shooting in mocap etc.

Knowing more of how Neil think is also fascinating. It's really interesting that the pressure he felt the most is not from gamers, reviewer or awards, but the pressure from his team, to make them feel proud and by the end of the day, feel the game has been worth it.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
That was one of the very best pieces of videogame-related writing I've ever read. Thanks a lot for sharing it with us, OP.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Can't wait for Grounded documentary part 2. They must have been making it right? GQ got 2 years access for this article, surely ND habe someone making a documentary too

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well damn, that was a super meaty, interesting and insightful interview. Well worth the read.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
Can't wait for Grounded documentary part 2. They must have been making it right? GQ got 2 years access for this article, surely ND habe someone making a documentary too
I can't wait for that too. I am curious how they managed to wrap it up considering the last couple months of development was work from home.

ScrewyAurum

Nov 3, 2017
Im kinda turned off by this writing style, it makes it all sound very romanticized and I kinda get the feeling that the writer is very narrow in the type of game they play.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
The interview is excellent. Glad Neil has someone like Haley Gross to balance him as a cowriter. And its messed up people went so ballistic over the leaks. All those clickbait YouTubers especially should be ashamed of themselves for acting so unprofessional and fueling the hate.

But glad they've bounced back. I imagine seeing all the preview praise and cryptic hype tweets must be encouraging

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I kinda get the feeling that the writer is very narrow in the type of game they play.

See for yourself, then.

www.gq-magazine.co.uk

Sam White

Sam White has been GQ’s games columnist since 2016, writing regular coverage of all things interactive entertainment: from in-depth "making of" features of the world’s biggest games and the people who create them to reviews of practically anything he can get his hands on (the sexier the graphics...

ScrewyAurum

Nov 3, 2017
See for yourself, then.

www.gq-magazine.co.uk

Sam White

Sam White has been GQ’s games columnist since 2016, writing regular coverage of all things interactive entertainment: from in-depth "making of" features of the world’s biggest games and the people who create them to reviews of practically anything he can get his hands on (the sexier the graphics...

Fair enough, just that in the article itself his references makes it seem not that way. Very narrow view to accentuate the good in TLOU2.
Maybe its just me.

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Fair enough, just that in the article itself his references makes it seem not that way. Very narrow view to accentuate the good in TLOU2.
Maybe its just me.

There's a reason why I put in the title "with 2 years of behind-the-scenes access"

At a certain level, no matter how professional or credible a writer is - that much exposure and insight into development of a product does have an influence on your perspective. I love the article, but part of me recognizes it's an article that is "fluffy and ND-approved" for the lack of a better word.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason why I put in the title "with 2 years of behind-the-scenes access"

At a certain level, no matter how professional or credible a writer is - that much exposure and insight into development of a product does have an influence on your perspective. I love the article, but part of me recognizes it's an article that is "fluffy and ND-approved" for the lack of a better word.
It lets Neil Druckmann paint the workers who crunched on the game as them wanting to "work very hard", as if crunch is a force he can't control. So, yeah, "fluffy". Not really surprising that the writer of this piece previously wrote a big fluff piece about Rockstar and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
this is one of the best long-form gaming articles i've ever read, incredible insight into neil & the ND team. thanks OP for sharing this!

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Combat is punchy, brutal and the game's analogue stealth system feels as responsive and dynamic as Metal Gear Solid V. "

Say what now.

If Naughty Dog come close to the greatest gameplay of all time (MGSV) I will be beside myself.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You literally have parts of article talking about 'the failure' of one of the final versions of the game (meaning it was still buggy as hell), co-writer calling Neil a 'dumb motherfucker' with occasional creative clash, several co-workers not being fully on board with the extremity of violence and frankly interesting insight into Neil's psyche in which it is clear that team's approval means more to him than anything else, and they appear to be tough crowd anyway...and folks say it's a fluff piece? Yeah... Please roll out the reviews already cause I guess they can just never win with everybody at this point.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
"Combat is punchy, brutal and the game's analogue stealth system feels as responsive and dynamic as Metal Gear Solid V. "

Say what now.

If Naughty Dog come close to the greatest gameplay of all time (MGSV) I will be beside myself.
Of course there won't be the same freedom you have on MGS where you can pull of some incredible ( and funny) stuff due to ND usual approach to games and design. Hopefully animations and controls will be similar cause yeah MGSV is still the Third person king.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
You literally have parts of article talking about 'the failure' of one of the final versions of the game (meaning it was still buggy as hell), co-writer calling Neil a 'dumb motherfucker' with occasional creative clash, several co-workers not being fully on board with the extremity of violence and frankly interesting insight into Neil's psyche in which it is clear that team's approval means more to him than anything else, and they appear to be tough crowd anyway...and folks say it's a fluff piece? Yeah... Please roll out the reviews already cause I guess they can just never win with everybody at this point.
Anything positive about ND from the article apparently classified it as a "fluff piece". Smh, as if the crunch article from Jason and all the backlash they've received from "fans" wasn't enough.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering what we know about the game's development, and how this piece paints it: yeah, it absolutely is one. Any flaws it presents are meant to hold up how incredible the game and some of the team's creatives are. The "failure" of one of the final versions is meant to show how incredible the team is for improving on that in such a short time. The creative clash is portrayed as a good thing, with the co-writer filling in for Neil's blank spots. The co-workers being shocked by the violence is meant to show how effective the game supposedly is at making you feel grossed out by it all.

It's not a piece meant to show what the game's development was like, it's one meant to sell you on how incredible its development team is and how much of an achievement the game itself is.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
My god, any thread revolving around this game (especially when reviews hit) are going to be unbearable for ppl that just want to enjoy it and have an open conversation about it.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Considering what we know about the game's development, and how this piece paints it: yeah, it absolutely is one. Any flaws it presents are meant to hold up how incredible the game and some of the team's creatives are. The "failure" of one of the final versions is meant to show how incredible the team is for improving on that in such a short time. The creative clash is portrayed as a good thing, with the co-writer filling in for Neil's blank spots. The co-workers being shocked by the violence is meant to show how effective the game supposedly is at making you feel grossed out by it all.

It's not a piece meant to show what the game's development was like, it's one meant to sell you on how incredible its development team is and how much of an achievement the game itself is.
Yes exactly, what's wrong with that? Why does every article these days have to condemn ND?...

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yes it is. The very first line says: game development is shit.

The article shows you from the very start how difficult sometimes it can be, but also ultimately how rewarding it can be.

But who am I even talking to, I don't know. Don't even care that much at this point. Play the game, don't play the game, it's your choice.

But the spin is just... Wow.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Say what now.

Yeah this also really stood out to me. It definitely looks more in-depth and nuanced than any of their previous games.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
It lets Neil Druckmann paint the workers who crunched on the game as them wanting to "work very hard", as if crunch is a force he can't control. So, yeah, "fluffy". Not really surprising that the writer of this piece previously wrote a big fluff piece about Rockstar and Red Dead Redemption 2.

You miss the part where he states that they tried implementing stuff to mitigate crunch but were met with resistance from the people working on the game?

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Say what now.

It looks to be improvements to things they laid the foundation with in Uncharted 4, which had incredible flow.

Did people really come into a thread about a Neil Druckmann profile in GQ magazine expecting a Washington Post investigative journalism article? That's not what this is or what it's even trying to be.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You miss the part where he states that they tried implementing stuff to mitigate crunch but were met with resistance from the people working on the game?
Of course there's people working on the game who are for crunch. It's also already pretty clear that the people who are for it far from speak for the entire studio.

Also, keep in mind who you're listening to here. The one claiming that the workers don't want crunch to be mitigated is the development team's boss.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This quote got me.

We've just finished a level review, in which senior members of the team play every section of the game, ad infinitum. Each review takes over an hour as the group meticulously analyse and give notes for improvements. High notes are essential fixes. Lows – like an unconvincing-looking cheese sandwich (yes, really) – are minor. If a problem is something deemed small enough that only the team will notice? They have to let it go. The term is "ship it".

The attention to detail is staggering. Druckmann shows me a new gore system that realistically renders dripping and pooling blood, which a developer created proactively in their spare time. Another "Naughty Dog detail" mimics gravity on Ellie's bracelet, so it slips down her wrist whenever she raises her hands. The developers can also now authentically re-create veins, colour changes in skin and pupil dilation.

In one review, co-game directors Anthony Newman and Kurt Margenau have a 15-minute discussion about the chairs in an aquarium. In another, Margenau identifies a discrepancy. We're currently playing in Jackson, but the petrol station pumps have been copied from a level in Seattle. Apparently, the octane levels in Wyoming are actually supposed to be 85, 88, 91, versus 87, 89, 92 in Washington. Everyone in the room goes silent. "That's… a very Kurt note," Druckmann says, laughing. One person later asks if they can "afford" to change something. They're not talking about money ("If we could throw money at all the problems, we would at this point," Druckmann tells me later). They're talking about time.

breh...

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this was an absolutely fantastic read. I always love reading about the trials and costs associated with bringing a passion project to life; it really humanizes the people behind it.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Toumari made a separate thread focused on the new IP bit, but GQ posted a meaty article/interview on the development of TLoU Part II that's really excellent. It looks into Neil's inspirations, how the team works, etc etc - very detailed stuff. The full article is here: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/the-last-of-us-part-ii-neil-druckmann-interview

I initially shared some quotes, but it got lost by issues. Whatever.

Seriously, though - just give it a read. It's an excellent piece.
Tks for the thread, a wonderful read...

We're in for something special that will go beyond exclusive list wars. Can't wait...

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017

Everyone should get paid more in accordance to the increased hours they work. I'm sure many are salaried and can only hope for a nice bonus at the end of it