• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
GQ: https://www.gqmiddleeast.com/culture/every-spider-man-film-ranked
  1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
  2. Spider-Man 2 (2004)
  3. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
  4. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
  5. Spider-Man (2002)
  6. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
  7. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
  8. Spider-Man (1978)
  9. Spider-Man 3 (2007)
  10. Spider-Man (1977)
  11. Spider-Man Strikes Back (1978)
  12. Spider-Man: The Dragon's Challenge (1981)
Business Insider: http://www.businessinsider.fr/us/spider-man-movies-ranked-from-worst-to-best-including-venom-2018-10
  1. "Spider-Man 2" (2004)
  2. "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" (2018)
  3. "Spider-Man" (2002)
  4. "Spider-Man: Homecoming" (2017)
  5. "Spider-Man: Far From Home" (2019)
  6. "Spider-Man 3" (2007)
  7. "Venom" (2018)
  8. "The Amazing Spider-Man" (2012)
  9. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" (2014)

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Those are both pretty solid lists. 2 and Spiderverse are interchangeable to me. Both are the best in different ways.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Ew. Homecoming should not be that high up. Second to last, only above Amazing SpiderMan 2 is the correct spot for it.

Oct 26, 2017
My son has watched Into the Spiderverse about 5 times in the last 7 days. You would think I'd be sick of it, but it holds up well even after multiple viewings.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man 2 is a pretty great movie but I'm constantly baffled by people who put it on that pedestal. I thought Spider-Verse, Homecoming, and even Spider-Man 1 were better movies. (Haven't seen Far From Home yet).

Edit- Also, imagine being the poor soul who thinks the Amazing Spider-Man movies were better than Spidey 3.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there aren't that many spidey movies worthy of being ranked

spider verse > the russo trilogy > ffh > 1 > homecoming > 2 > who cares

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The fuck is Venom doing there?! Isn't the presence of Spider-Man a pretty defining part of a Spider-Man movie?!

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing 1's badness is very underrated. That movie's Lizard is such a shitty villain and is such a waste of an otherwise potentially great character.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
The gap between the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy is not that wide IMO. Spider-Man 3 gets a lot of the credit for being a weird movie but 1 and 2 are off kilter to the extreme as well.

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like there must be another version of Spider-Man 2 that I've never seen for it to be so massively overrated.

Spider-Man is nearly mute in the suit.
People love Molina's Ock but what does he even want in that movie? It doesn't matter! He's nothing like Doc Ock from the comics and I don't think it improved on the character at all.
The action is truly awesome but come on

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
The gap between the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy is not that wide IMO. Spider-Man 3 gets a lot of the credit for being a weird movie but 1 and 2 are off kilter to the extreme as well.
All three movies use basically the same format too

1- Villain is a victim of a science experiment gone wrong
2- MJ and Pete go through some ups and downs
3- Villain learns Peter is Spider-Man
4- MJ is bait for a trap
5- Villain at the end asks for some kind of forgiveness before dying/vanishing

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GQ list is fairly similar to mine. Except I put Rami's SM1 over Homecoming and Rami's SM3 over ASM1 and 2 (with 2 being last). SM3 is a bad movie, but at least it's a hell of a lot more memorable than ASM1 and 2.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Business Insider: http://www.businessinsider.fr/us/spider-man-movies-ranked-from-worst-to-best-including-venom-2018-10
  1. "Spider-Man 2" (2004)
  2. "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" (2018)
  3. "Spider-Man" (2002)
  4. "Spider-Man: Homecoming" (2017)
  5. "Spider-Man: Far From Home" (2019)
  6. "Spider-Man 3" (2007)
  7. "Venom" (2018)
  8. "The Amazing Spider-Man" (2012)
  9. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" (2014)
Not bad.

My own ranking:

God tier
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Verse

Flawed but profoundly likable tier
Spider-Man

Pretty good tier
Amazing 1
Homecoming

Gloriously bad but somewhat fun tier
Venom
Amazing 2

Sam, what have you done tier
Spider-Man 3

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
The overhyping of Spiderman 2 may be the most tired topic in superhero movie discussions

And number one here is easily Spiderverse

Going to see Far From Home sometime this week though

Oct 26, 2017
If I can give Amazing SM any compliment, I'll say it still has my favorite Spider-Man fight choreography. His movements slinging around and fighting is fantastic. Not great enough to make the rest of the shit bearable, but still.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I really don't understand why Spiderman 2 is considered so much better than Spiderman 1

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Spider verse is overrated as fuck . Second part is boring as hell and all those explotions are tiring eyes

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
That GQ list is practically spot on for me, though I could switch 1/2 and 3/4 quite easily. Haven't watched any of the past ones though.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
All three movies use basically the same format too

1- Villain is a victim of a science experiment gone wrong
2- MJ and Pete go through some ups and downs
3- Villain learns Peter is Spider-Man
4- MJ is bait for a trap
5- Villain at the end asks for some kind of forgiveness before dying/vanishing

Right? Also, we laugh a lot about how bad the villains were in Spider-Man 3 but Willem Dafoe is WILD in Spider-Man 1, which is hysterical but these movies probably shouldn't skew comedic. Alfred Molina as Doc Ock I admit is the most straight-faced of the troupe but still for the most part it all reads as camp to me.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Right? Also, we laugh a lot about how bad the villains were in Spider-Man 3 but Willem Dafoe is WILD in Spider-Man 1, which is hysterical but these movies probably shouldn't skew comedic. Alfred Molina as Doc Ock I admit is the most straight-faced of the troupe but still for the most part it all reads as camp to me.
Dafoe in Spidey 1 is the reason I think Spidey 1 is better than 2, honestly.

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched all the movies before the PS4 game came out (and the two that have released since), and I think Spider-Verse, Homecoming and Far From Home are the only ones I even want to see from now on. And at this point I'd probably rank them in that order.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Verse and Spidey 2 are still a step above the rest, in no small part due to each being so different from the usual superhero movies today. Far From Home and Homecoming are good movies, but they're very much MCU movies first and foremost, and it's nice to watch something like Spidey 2 or Spider-Verse and have it feel fresh still.

1. Spider-Verse
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Spider-Man Homecoming
4. Spider-Man
5. Spider-Man Far from Home
6. Spider-Man 3
7. Venom
8. The Amazing Spider-Man
9. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm gonna have to resign myself to the fact that I really don't understand why Spiderman 2 is still held up as some paragon of superhero films.

It was good when it came out, but I really don't see it as something that aged particularly well in most ways.

Molina was always great casting but Maguireman has never been for me.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Great lists. Business Insiders matched mines exactly except I haven't seen Venom yet.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Not bad.

My own ranking:

God tier
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Verse

Flawed but profoundly likable tier
Spider-Man

Pretty good tier
Amazing 1
Homecoming

Gloriously bad but somewhat fun tier
Venom
Amazing 2

Sam, what have you done tier
Spider-Man 3
That's ok. But we all know the true ranking is
1. SpiderMan
2. SpiderMan 2
3. Spiderverse
4. Amazing SpiderMan
5. Venom
6. SpiderMan 3
7. Homecoming
8. Amazing SpiderMan 2

Haven't watch FFH yet, probably will this Friday.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
GQ's list is on the right track. Just put Spider-Man 2 under the MCU films and you got yourself a winner.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Real talk SM3 gets a way worse rap than it earned.

I could see it being below TASM1 but it's leagues better than TASM2, which was just a trainwreck from start to finish.

But anyway Spider-Verse was the best one.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I feel like there must be another version of Spider-Man 2 that I've never seen for it to be so massively overrated.

Spider-Man is nearly mute in the suit.
People love Molina's Ock but what does he even want in that movie? It doesn't matter! He's nothing like Doc Ock from the comics and I don't think it improved on the character at all.
The action is truly awesome but come on
I'm with you. Very over-rated... To add to your comments:

1. The movie tries to paint Peter Parker as this goofy nice guy who just can't win... but does it in ludicrous ways. He's a scientific genius -- but the movie starts with him as a pizza delivery person?? And then he's an idiot that can't leave a broom closet without tripping over every broom twice?
2. Non-sensical story threads... In Spider-Man 1, Oscorp is taken away from the Osbornes, but now somehow Harry Osborne is at the head of something?? It doesn't work that way...
3. Ridiculous set up for Doc Oc's transformation. He creates a miniature sun -- cool. Where does he demonstrate this? In a lab? Nope - in his warehouse apartment.
And where does the press and his wife observe from? From behind a radiation-proof barrier? Via remote broadcast? Nope - safety is for idiots -- they can watch right there in the room! All so that his wife can die so he can lose it.
5. Doc Oc's octopus arms are completely overlooked as some incidental invention -- wtf?
6. Some guy asks, "What's to stop those arms from taking over your brain?" ... ... Wtf would you ask that in the first place??
7. "Oh but now that you did ask, this chip prevents that from hap--" *zzzfft* Oh crap!
8. Bad acting (Harry: "I'm ruuuined!")
9. More ridiculous "just can't catch a break" Peter Parker: he can't get into the theatre for MJ's play on time because of Bruce Campbell... bitch, you're Spider-man, you can find a different way in!
10. Harry slaps Peter... twice... if only Peter had some early warning system that could let him know he's about to get hit...
11. Contrived setups: The bank robbery... Doc Oc... he wants to get money to buy equipment to rebuild the mini-sun reactor thing... why not just steal the stuff itself? Oh, so they can cross paths with Peter and Aunt May?
12. The subway fight - for that fight to work, you have to forget that Doc Oc is still a human being (arms aside)... every time Spider-man punches doc oc in the face, his head should go sailing... even if Peter is holding back to not kill him, he certainly would have been able to easily knock him out.

Some are more nit-picky than others, but this comes from Martin's Double Toasted recap of why he doesn't like Spider-Man 2 - and while I still enjoyed it, I tend to agree with these issues.

My ranking:

2. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
  3. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
  4. Spider-Man (2002)
  5. Spider-Man 2 (2004)
  8. Spider-Man 3 (2007)

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I'd rather watch spiderman 3 than homecoming to be honest

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Remember the touching emotional ending moment of Amazing Spiderman where Lizard man was trying to turn everyone into lizards and dozens of crane operators in New York (I think in the middle of the night if I remember right) had to move their cranes just right so Spiderman could swing to the lizard making device in time?

I remember.

Only thing I liked about that movie was the Stan Lee cameo.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I'm with you. Very over-rated... To add to your comments:

1. The movie tries to paint Peter Parker as this goofy nice guy who just can't win... but does it in ludicrous ways. He's a scientific genius -- but the movie starts with him as a pizza delivery person?? And then he's an idiot that can't leave a broom closet without tripping over every broom twice?
2. Non-sensical story threads... In Spider-Man 1, Oscorp is taken away from the Osbornes, but now somehow Harry Osborne is at the head of something?? It doesn't work that way...
3. Ridiculous set up for Doc Oc's transformation. He creates a miniature sun -- cool. Where does he demonstrate this? In a lab? Nope - in his warehouse apartment.
And where does the press and his wife observe from? From behind a radiation-proof barrier? Via remote broadcast? Nope - safety is for idiots -- they can watch right there in the room! All so that his wife can die so he can lose it.
5. Doc Oc's octopus arms are completely overlooked as some incidental invention -- wtf?
6. Some guy asks, "What's to stop those arms from taking over your brain?" ... ... Wtf would you ask that in the first place??
7. "Oh but now that you did ask, this chip prevents that from hap--" *zzzfft* Oh crap!
8. Bad acting (Harry: "I'm ruuuined!")
9. More ridiculous "just can't catch a break" Peter Parker: he can't get into the theatre for MJ's play on time because of Bruce Campbell... bitch, you're Spider-man, you can find a different way in!
10. Harry slaps Peter... twice... if only Peter had some early warning system that could let him know he's about to get hit...
11. Contrived setups: The bank robbery... Doc Oc... he wants to get money to buy equipment to rebuild the mini-sun reactor thing... why not just steal the stuff itself? Oh, so they can cross paths with Peter and Aunt May?
12. The subway fight - for that fight to work, you have to forget that Doc Oc is still a human being (arms aside)... every time Spider-man punches doc oc in the face, his head should go sailing... even if Peter is holding back to not kill him, he certainly would have been able to easily knock him out.

Some are more nit-picky than others, but this comes from Martin's Double Toasted recap of why he doesn't like Spider-Man 2 - and while I still enjoyed it, I tend to agree with these issues.

My ranking:

2. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
  3. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
  4. Spider-Man (2002)
  5. Spider-Man 2 (2004)
  8. Spider-Man 3 (2007)
You can nitpick any movie like this

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man 3 being worse than both Amazing movies. Sure.

The BI list is okay but I completely disagree with that GQ list.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
I actually did my own ranking for them when a friend showed me Time.com's list. After rewatching the Raimi trilogy a couple weeks back followed up by Homecoming before seeing Far From Home, I'm very confident in the placements.

1) Spiderverse
2) Spider-Man 2
3) Spider-Man
4) Far From Home
5) Spider-Man 3
6) Homecoming
7) Amazing
8) Amazing 2

Oct 25, 2017
I like business insiders list more, i'd swap spider-man 2 and into the spider verse though.
Spider verse is just about as close to perfect as something can get.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely much rather watch either of the Amazing films than Spider-Man 3 (or any of the Raimi films, tbh).