• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I feel bad for the people who didn't vote for Trump. The rest of America will just have to deal. This is a logical conclusion to electing a white nationalist who doesn't understand the concept of trade being mutually beneficial.

Last edited:

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Lol, I guess I'll just quit PC gaming once this 2080 can't handle any modern titles. 🤷‍♀️

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
This is insane. My friend was trying to build a PC and gave up after not being able to find a 3080. He's definitely going to check out after this.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I fuckin lucked out.

Really shitty for other consumers.

Yea, I'll definitely be sticking with my 3600/5700 XT combo for awhile. Glad I built when I did(Oct 2019). All those people telling others to wait for the next GPU's ended up giving terrible advice.

Lets be practical you can want a good ryzen 5XXX or ampere or 6xxx chips don't mean you gettin em. Selling off before you're secured is always bad.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Lol your 2080 should be fine for a while. Or were you being sarcastic?
Not really. I know I'm fine with a 2080 right now, but what I meant was that I'll use this 2080 for how many years that I can until it can no longer handle new titles and then quit PC, I ain't upgrading or building a new PC with those prices. Perhaps I'll go console only, but this tariff might affect consoles too, which means I'm fucked.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Did someone swap the Canadian prices in for the U.S. prices?

Also, OH GOD WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE CANADIAN PRICES.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Even if Biden reverses the tariffs I doubt the manufacturers will pass on the savings after everyone gets used to the new prices. Unless sales tank, which I don't see happening anytime soon.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I would never even consider getting hardware at those prices. Fortunately the tariffs should come off by the time I'm looking at a new card.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a good economy focused article on how a country would go about being tough on China (which I think is desirable) without electronics prices surging? Everything I've read points to tariffs being bad economic policy, but what alternatives are there?

Oct 29, 2017
Well I suppose waiting for Zen 3 Threadripper, may have backfired on me. That said, if the rumors of a 16-core model are true, that should hopefully be cheaper than the 24-core 3960X. I don't want the cores, just the PCIe lanes.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
www.nytimes.com

U.S. Companies Face China Tariffs as Exclusions Expire (Published 2020)

Many American companies saw their exemptions from President Trump’s China tariffs expire at midnight on Thursday.

It's from tariffs. Companies like EVGA haven't updated their prices yet, but they will have to follow suit (or eat the losses).
working for a reseller I can confirm it's tariffs. A lot of items are affected across the board.

Got it - didn't mean to seem conspiratorial or anything. That really sucks though! I love my PC but it's going be really hard to justify continuing to upgrade it if prices don't come down, they're just silly.

Oct 25, 2017
it was, but now it's pretty junk for me :\
True for most AAA stuff I imagine nowadays but it should still play a lot of games quite good. I had a 1050ti not too long ago and could play rainbow six siege at over 60fps @ 1080p just fine and the 970 should do better than that. Also got over 100fps in Overwatch and CSGO(obviously lol).

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
well there's always EVGA

This. Made in taiwan

EVGA will also up their prices as the AIBs still come from China.

Depends on how the US treats content percentages. Based on the old North American Free Trade agreement, there was a complex rules of origin provision.

tldr; if a product is 90% taiwan content and 10% China, it doesn't automatically become labelled "made in china", nor is it treated as such.

3000 series GPU's from EVGA for example, I am guessing memory chips comes from Korea, GPU die from Taiwan, board from
China, fans from China, heatsink from China, assembled in Taiwan, CS from USA based employees

my own GPU says made in Taiwan so that's how my country treats it

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True for most AAA stuff I imagine nowadays but it should still play a lot of games quite good. I had a 1050ti not too long ago and could play rainbow six siege at over 60fps @ 1080p just fine and the 970 should do better than that. Also got over 100fps in Overwatch and CSGO(obviously lol).
not for games, for rendering. can't take advantage of stuff like Optix in blender or RT in Unreal. I really puts a damper in some of the projects I've been wanting to do for the year

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
This is disheartening as someone who looked to build a new rig this year. I don't NEED a 3080 but gotdamn I WANT a 3080. Ha

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
lucked out getting a 3070 at launch, but was planning on finally replacing this i7 5820k this year when I could actually find a CPU

the waiting game continues

Oct 25, 2017
Haha ouch. I just got a 3060 TI Strix in this week. I felt a little ashamed for paying $499 for a 3060 TI. At $599 it's just ridiculous.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I got my 3080 when I did fuck man.

Really feel for the people who couldn't get it yet these prices are fucking trash.