• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Metalsnakezero
I hope the OP was deadass serious about this!
Not completely and I was expecting more users to agree to a degree on this as how much people not like glitches in certain games but from the response many of you don't mind.

If there any seriousness on this it the upcoming next gen release and the amount of work that will come from making 4K games and having to ship on time knowing the games are bugged.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Not completely and I was expecting more users to agree to a degree on this as how much people not like glitches in certain games but from the response many of you don't mind.

If there any seriousness on this it the upcoming next gen release and the amount of work that will come from making 4K games and having to ship on time knowing the games are bugged.

I mean, no one is saying "yay glitches", but they're a reality of game design, and if the market speaks (as it clearly does) to show that by and large, they're not going to affect sales of otherwise well-received games, you have your answer: not enough consumers notice/care.

And as others said, government couldn't do much worthwhile even if they chose to, and would be better off pushing harsher refund/accountability onto those selling the games.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm laughing so hard over here.

Didn't think a thread like this would ever show up, but then again, who am I kidding.

Now we await the inevitable thread on government oversight for FPS dips.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017

It's not that people don't mind glitches, it's that you posted the question of how to deal with them in a pretty ridiculous way and people are mainly responding to that.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you know what the words "Minus World" mean, you're on a list somewhere. Beware.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

I hate when people microwave fish in my office but it shouldn't be illegal. Banning glitches is like banning stores from selling bruised fruit, it's impractical.

Chances are if there is a bug in a game the devs are aware of it and didn't consider it important enough to fix yet. I believe the term is "know shippable". Sometimes this works out and some obscure but that you'll never encounter still exists and other times you get headless immortal characters in Fallout 76.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am sure there is one or two idiots in a government willing to put together a committee to study this "issue" for a few years.

Of course, results will be inconclusive. No plan of action will be proposed. Years wasted. Few hundred grand of taxpayer money will be written off.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User banned (1 month): Inflammatory trolling and hostility. Numerous prior bans for trolling and hostility.

ok whitey

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
It's time for the government to tackle the real issues, no more will we gamers be oppressed by poorly optimized code

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
OP please share with my whatever the hell it is you're taking. It sounds niiiiice.

Seriously: No, it's never going to happen. Products of shitty quality get sold everyday, and government only gets involved when life endangerment or outright criminal fraud is at play.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's really that horrible for some people to check the game quality before buying? Is tax money dedicated to check if a game is acceptable working money well spent?

Just imagine this scenario, 3 imates on a cell:
1# imate: I'm here because I robbed a bank at gun point
2# imate: I'm here because I drove drunk and caused accident with fatal victims
3# imate: I'm here because I released a game that run at single digits fps.
1# and 2# imates: wtf, stay away you sick bastard.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True. Real way of dealing with glitches or bugs is better QA, tools, and overall refinement in developing games.
QA's job is to report bugs, not fix them. They all get reported, but then the owner of that task (like a designer, programmer, or artist) has to evaluate with their leads if it can be fixed. Often, there's not enough time before shipping, or fixing it can break something else more severe, or it's not a high priority because there's something else to work on, and a lot of other reasons. A game is a software, and like any kind of software, you can't ever expect them to be 100% bug-free.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Your worldview must be pretty small if you think this is something the government should address.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I'm laughing so hard over here.

Didn't think a thread like this would ever show up, but then again, who am I kidding.

Now we await the inevitable thread on government oversight for FPS dips.

To be fair, I vaguely remember a thread someone made about the new FFXIV expansion not adding achievements, and how that is probably ILLEGAL since they ask money for it.

Edit: There you go, found it:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sq...o-add-them-by-law-if-its-paid-content.129738/

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
OP
OP
Metalsnakezero
In fairness to the OP of that thread, he likely meant to say "required by (Sony's) policy" but he couldn't find the word to put it properly.
Kinda. I mean the platform holders must do a lot to ensure that the games that come to their platform are of quality or at least run without major problems.
I was think of if glitches or bugs got so out of hand that there was a need for a wider policy that expanded outside companies.

Also that FFXIV thread, that a bit much.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Even more seriously as a person who does computational mathematics for physics modelling there's no way to get around the fact that some mathematical functions that are vital to physics modeling diverge terribly as they get close to 0 or become undefined. Trying to solve some differential equations (which are quite useful for some sorts of inverse kinematics or fluid dynamics) is almost inherently hosed for similar reasons, because you can usually only solve approximate solutions, and sometimes those approximations produce errors that nearly match the actual expected values for those equations at some scales.

If you want your videogames to be an in-depth simulation of a novel world then you must accept that there will be flaws in the way the world is modeled that are inherent to the physicality of computing. We have limited precision. We have limitations on what can be computed. There's a direct corollary to Zeno's paradox to how we compute collision detection for objects in games that we consider to be "in motion" -- did two objects whose paths cross within a certain time delta collide? (Larger time deltas for game physics calculation allow for more efficient performance at the cost of making it much harder to determine the state of these more fine-grained interactions.)

Not all glitches can be done away with. Of course stuff like file integrity checking or data security to make sure that the game doesn't, like, delete save files or brick the console is a bit different and you maybe could make a case that there are some consumer rights issues to that, but mostly this is a discussion that's framed in a way that's too broad to be useful, because the only way to fix it would be to completely change how computers work.

Alternate, jokier clarification: Ocarina of Time is a horribly broken game and we need to send Miyamoto to the Hague to answer for his crimes against humanity.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Will glitches ever get so bad that governments have to step in and put guidelines on it?

I imagine it'll make development much longer but we get games that wont be messes like the last Fallout game.

In terms of problems it would mean less ambitious games and questionable control from the government on what they label as a glitch.
In time... all this takes time.

Imagine in early 80's someone asking if Governments will put restrictions on video games as to what age can be what game. You will be getting similar answers to the people replying here. No, never, yeah that'll not happen. But a game like Mortal Kombat changed that.

So yes, it'll happen but in time. Even Micro transaction and Glitch Free games... all will be controlled, in time.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I know this isn't a completely serious thread, but there's so many flaws to this logic that it becomes kinda' funny.

At the highest level, the government should not be wasting it's time and tax payer dollars on regulating video game glitches. I don't think people would be very happy about their tax money going to that of all things at all. Government also having a crucial role in a creative medium is a really bad idea.

Glitches are just a fact of coding. As of right now it is impossible to make anything that's bugless. The simpler the game, the less bugs there will be, but there's some really out there bugs that would never naturally be met like if theoretically in a score game someone's score gets so high it breaks the number of digits the game can register. The more complex the game, it becomes impossible and not worth anyone's time (the developers nor the customers waiting) to spend like an extra year of development trying to fix every bug they can.

The result for this would be simpler games, because more complex games are more likely to have bugs, so then to not get penalized by the fucking government games would end up having to be less ambitious and simpler just so they can reasonably be bug checked.

And then do gamers even really hate bugs? Occasionally there's a bad glitch that hampers or can ruin the experience, but most bugs I experience are either just kinda' funny or creepy or a bit interesting. Hell, I find glitches to be kinda' fascinating, and speedrunning exists for so many games because of bugs. Trying to wipe bugs clean I actually think would take something away from... I hate to say it like this, but it's the truth... "Gaming Culture". I would actually say glitches and bugs are so well known by people who game (as there's bugs in every game), that things involving glitches even are celebrated, joked about, appreciated, raise certain scenes like speed running or even games made with glitch aesthetic or ideas, that there's actually an endearment from many gamers to glitches. I'm not saying people want games full of bugs, but I don't think encountering most common bugs (that aren't game breaking or frustrating) actually negatively impact players that much, in fact probably a number of them add to the experience for people.

I could go on but this idea is so ludicrous on so many levels.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking Any% narcs. Nintendo getting slapped with a big fine for that OoT arbitrary code execution discovery.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
In time... all this takes time.

Imagine in early 80's someone asking if Governments will put restrictions on video games as to what age can be what game. You will be getting similar answers to the people replying here. No, never, yeah that'll not happen. But a game like Mortal Kombat changed that.

So yes, it'll happen but in time. Even Micro transaction and Glitch Free games... all will be controlled, in time.

But the rating system for games isn't government controlled or mandated (at least in the US). It's self-regulated.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Also books without grammar errors and typos, music with autotune and movies without editing and plot errors.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
1. Glitch-free software is basically impossible
2. What the hell would the legal definition of a glitch even be?
3. The result of that would just be devs not attempting anything new at all, for fear that trying something that doesn't work could bring actual legal sanction down on you