• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Imagine Jim Sterling giving Deadly Premonition a perfect score

fucking criminal, advertising illegal products

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
To be fair, if glitches started setting fire to people's consoles, then I'd definitely want the government to get involved to some degree to insure that can't be allowed to happen in the future.
there's already regulations against such things, the same regulations any tech company agrees to

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
If the product is actually unplayable and not just what weirdo gamers would call unplayable then maybe

There are punishment for glitches but it's for things like airline software, things that would actually harm people rather than something stupid like falling through the map or bad animations.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
There has got to be some nifty saying that describes the tendency for dumb suggestions to follow a reasonable one but because of that first reasonable suggestion.

I guess whataboutism but not quite.

The reason this won't happen is because there are no victims of bad glitches. Loot boxes are debated to be real gambling and real gambling is controversial because it creates addictive personality problems and has damaged private person's economies, and as a business that isn't exactly lucrative I guess. It's probably not the official reason but it's how I always saw it anyhow.

A bunch of glitches will just hurt the developer, not the consumer. This will teach the developer to do better, or underscope future products. You don't lose anything here as you will begin to choose not to buy products where there are tendencies for too many bugs.

OP
OP
Metalsnakezero
Happy to make a thread that really started our week off.

But yeah with how difficult things are with just basic software, it would be both hard to pin down what a glitch is and how on a government writing can be fixed.

There has got to be some nifty saying that describes the tendency for dumb suggestions to follow a reasonable one but because of that first reasonable suggestion.

I guess whataboutism but not quite.

The reason this won't happen is because there are no victims of bad glitches. Loot boxes are debated to be real gambling and real gambling is controversial because it creates addictive personality problems and has damaged private person's economies, and as a business that isn't exactly lucrative I guess. It's probably not the official reason but it's how I always saw it anyhow.

A bunch of glitches will just hurt the developer, not the consumer. This will teach the developer to do better, or underscope future products. You don't lose anything here as you will begin to choose not to buy products where there are tendencies for too many bugs.

Yeah that make sense given video games is much more on the level of movies and music where if it not good we just don't buy it.
Guess the hypothetical of a game that a glitch would harm someone if it put a human mind into a game like Sword art online but that assuming if the tech really gets us there.

Last edited:

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
blnGXA9slMilGIbT07qgQ6eVxbGv6SrmEzLu3AQLKJLiFOWM8EDbgaZlLIKHJxcJH-oHJb7dPAJkUqjuKEm86WyPjYLmeUpBqEmNKnLf6aLREK2c3DaD8iQgnmUBHg

sirronoh

Oct 25, 2017
This is completely and utterly unrealistic, not to mention unreasonable. The weekend is over.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, now that things can be beta tested in the future there's no reason for glitches and bugs. Bethesda is going to The Hague

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's 9AM EST on Monday morning and we already have one thread suggesting that it should be illegal to troll and another thread saying it should be illegal to release software that isn't perfectly coded. We're off to a good start.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Don't really recall if Samsung had to pay anything (outside of damage to their brand, and the recall) for having phones blow up in people's pockets?
only on an individual basis between the buyer and the person who might've been effected, tho Samsung still takes damage on the product regardless

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I think threads like this just highlights the mentality that lots of gamers have. That gaming is something we are entitled to. Just sad.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
you know how hair sometimes clips through a character?

ive got some bad news for you, game devs

straighten up and fly right

Nov 8, 2017
In the UK consumer rights say Good should be satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.

So if the glitches make the game unplayable you can say it is neither of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose and if it if the game has been downgraded enough compared to the adverts you could also say it not as described.

So your already covered if a game is broken without the need for extra rules. Same applies to Europe.
Yeah, this.

Like if Conan Exiles had released in the state of its most recent update, I think there might be a case to be made for the product being faulty and unfit for purpose (background: The game now just randomly kills players and makes significant areas of the map inaccessible due to said insta-death when attempting to enter them).

Funcom don't get grilled for such bugs because they're not huge like Bethesda, but I swear Funcom looked at what Bethesda has done with Fallout 76 and were like "Hold my beer".

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Yes, that's who you want involved in gaming. The government. What could go wrong there?