• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Will glitches ever get so bad that governments have to step in and put guidelines on it?

I imagine it'll make development much longer but we get games that wont be messes like the last Fallout game.

In terms of problems it would mean less ambitious games and questionable control from the government on what they label as a glitch.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Barring outright consumer fraud charges for a game not working no. I assume we're talking about games here though.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of a glitch is so broad that it's impossible to regulate something like that effectively. Governments ensuring consumer protections like strong refund policies seems much more practical than essentially requiring all software to be "perfect."

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Glitches in games being regulated sounds like a nightmare for the industry. Having the government evaluate the end product of a game for QA would be a disaster.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, there are guidelines by the console manufacturers that games have to work in a certain degree.
And why the fuck would the government step in on something like this?
And how would you draw the line, because EVERY SOFWARE has bugs.

Jeez Era, weekends over

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Also, big companies would just bribe government officials to ignore the issues and release games as buggy as they ever did.

Jun 26, 2018
giphy.gif

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
If they cant figure out child gambling theres no chance they ever look at glitches. Plus Fallout 76 was so bad I think every company learned they dont ever want to do that.

Its up to Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Valve to decide if they want broken games on their platforms.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I'd be surprise if any congress in the world now understands the concept of software glitches and bugs properly. Mine in particular don't even understand how encrypted message applications work.

Also that is a ridiculous idea to begin with, but i'm sure you will hear this a lot already in this thread.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It's already Monday, stop.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
Will glitches ever get so bad that governments have to step in and put guidelines on it?

I imagine it'll make development much longer but we get games that wont be messes like the last Fallout game.

In the UK consumer rights say Good should be satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.

So if the glitches make the game unplayable you can say it is neither of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose and if it if the game has been downgraded enough compared to the adverts you could also say it not as described.

So your already covered if a game is broken without the need for extra rules. Same applies to Europe.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I can see trump talking about it now.

"I saw the other day in California last week, I read 2,300 glitches — these are big bugs, they control the amount of future immigration, not radical Pikachu groups. Hyrule does not pay to get their ass kicked, oh please come back and pay $30,000,00 for everything. Businesses do not succeed when they lose sight of their Q&A.

I would like to ask now that we are putting the American jobs, look what Obama did, the democrats devalued the rupee to such an extent that is so bloated.

Well, I got it for two reasons. Number one economically, we have losers. We have losers. We have leaders to worry about glitches"​

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
RESETERA TOOK TOO LONG TO LOAD JUST NOW

I DEMAND I BECOME A MOD

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. If a game us broken then it should get bad reviews, and that isn't asking for much to do before buying a potentially broken game.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
my gameboy advance only loads 1/3rd of the time

nintendo owes me fucking residuals

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this just in: Capcom Co., Ltd. liquified after news leaks that street fighter combos came about thru game bug

Jun 26, 2018
To be fair, if glitches started setting fire to people's consoles, then I'd definitely want the government to get involved to some degree to insure that can't be allowed to happen in the future.