• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Give it another 2-4 weeks. Businesses will have to open back up or many will and just incur the penalties. The stimulus is not going to be enough and people are gonna have to work. Either the economy tanks or the healthcare system tanks. People are going to die regardless of the choice. It's now triage on the battlefield. Our society is not setup for what's needed, maybe, just maybe we'll learn from this moving forward.

This is a societal level event, there's no way we can go back to the way things were.

Human beings are going to have to make significant changes.

Some microscopic strands of RNA has crippled everything and changed lives forever.

We can't keep continuing doing what we've been doing, we just can't.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Thank goodness, at least someone is taking this seriously. Newsom is a hero and I feel very fortunate to live in California right now.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I teach music and thankfully most of my students have been cool about switching to online lessons with a video conferencing app. I only lost one student out of around 50 so far, crossing my fingers. I've been in the studio every day anyway but I'm going to stay home tomorrow and transition the last few students to online lessons. Hopefully if all goes well I won't need to go in at all next week.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, the LA shelter in place Order gives a detailed list of essential businesses exempt from the city ordinance, I imagine the state one likely exempts the same businesses:

vi) Emergency Personnel. All first responders, gang and crisis intervention workers, public health workers, emergency management personnel, emergency dispatchers, law enforcement personnel, and related contractors and others working for emergency services providers are categorically exempt from this Order
(vii) Essential Activities Exempt. Certain business operations and activities are exempt from the provisions of this Order, on the grounds that they provide services that are recognized to be critical to the health and well-being of the City. These include:

(a) All healthcare operations, including hospitals, clinics, dentists, pharmacies, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, medical and scientific research, laboratories, healthcare suppliers, home healthcare services providers, veterinary care providers, mental and behavioral health providers, substance use providers, physical therapists and chiropractors, cannabis dispensaries, or any related and/or ancillary healthcare services, manufacturers and suppliers. Healthcare operations does not include fitness and exercise gyms and similar facilities.

(b) Grocery stores, water retailers, certified farmers' markets, farm and produce stands, supermarkets, convenience stores, warehouse stores, food banks, convenience stores, and other establishments engaged in the retail sale of canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh or frozen meats, fish, and poultry, any other household consumer products (such as construction supplies, cleaning and personal care products). This includes stores that sell groceries and sell other non-grocery products, and products necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences.

(c) Food cultivation, including farming, livestock, and fishing.

(d) Organizations and businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals (including gang prevention and intervention, domestic violence, and homeless services agencies).

(e) Newspapers, television, radio, magazine, podcast and other media
services.

(f) Gas service stations, auto supply, mobile auto repair operations, auto repair shops (including, without limitation, auto repair shops that operate adjacent to or otherwise in connection with an used or retail auto dealership), bicycle repair shops and related facilities.
companies.

(g) Banks, credit unions, financial institutions and insurance

(h) Hardware and building supply stores, and nurseries.

(i) Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, custodial/janitorial workers, handyman services, funeral home workers and morticians, moving services, HVAC installers, carpenters, landscapers, gardeners, property managers, private security personnel and other service providers who provide services to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation to properties and other essential activities discussed in this subsection.

(j) Businesses providing mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes.

(k) Educational institutions -- including public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities -- for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing essential functions provided that social distancing of six-feet per person is maintained to the greatest extent possible.

(l) Laundromats, dry cleaners, and laundry service providers.

(m) Restaurants and retail food facilities that prepare and offer food to customers, but only via delivery service, to be picked up, or drive-thru. For those establishments offering food pick-up options, proprietors are directed to establish social distancing practices for those patrons in the queue for pick-up. This includes maintaining a distance of at least six-feet away from others. Schools and other entities that typically provide free food services to students or members of the public may continue to do so under this Order on the condition that the food is provided to students or members of the public on a pick-up and carry out basis only. Schools and other entities that provide food services under this exemption shall not permit the food to be eaten at the site where it is provided, or any other gathering site. Cafeterias, commissaries, and restaurants located within hospitals, nursing homes, or similar facilities are also exempt from this Order. Social distancing shall be maintained at a distance of at least six-feet away from others

(n) Businesses that supply products needed for people to work from home.

(o) Businesses that supply other essential businesses with the support, services, or supplies necessary to operate, provided that strict social distancing is maintained. This section includes, without limitation, utility companies.

(p) Individuals and businesses that ship or deliver groceries, food, beverages or goods directly to residences or businesses, including rail and trucking.

(q) Airlines, taxis, ride sharing services, and other private transportation services providing transportation services necessary for essential activities and other purposes expressly authorized in this Order.

(r) Home-based care for disabled persons, seniors, adults, or children.

(s) Residential facilities and shelters for homeless residents, disabled persons, seniors, adults, children and animals.

(t) Professional services, such as legal, payroll or accounting services, when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities.

(u) Childcare facilities providing services that enable employees exempted in this Order to work as permitted. To the extent possible, childcare facilities must operate under the following mandatory conditions:

(1) Childcare must be carried out in stable groups of 12 or fewer ("stable" means that the same 12 or fewer children are in the same group each day).
(2) Children shall not change from one group to another.
(3) If more than one group of children is cared for at one facility, each
group shall be in a separate room. Groups shall not mix with each
other.
(4) Childcare providers shall remain solely with one group of children.

(v) Hotels, motels, shared rental units and similar facilities.

(w) Military/Defense Contractors/FFRDC (Federally Funded Researchand Development Centers). For purposes of this Order, essential personnel may leave their residence to provide any service or perform any work deemed essential for national security including, without limitation, defense, intelligence, and aerospace development and manufacturing for the Department of Defense, the Intelligence Community, and NASA and other federal government, and or United States Government departments and agencies. Essential personnel include prime, sub-prime, and supplier contractor employees, at both the prime contract level and any supplier level at any tier, working on federal United States Government contracts, such as contracts for national intelligence and national security requirements.

(viii) Government Employees. This Order does not apply to employees of government agencies working within the course and scope of their public service employment. Employees of the City of Los Angeles shall follow any current or future directives issued by the Mayor.

(ix) Essential Infrastructure. Individuals may leave their residences to provide any services or goods or perform any work necessary to to build, operate, maintain or manufacture essential infrastructure, including without limitation construction of commercial, office and institutional buildings, residential buildings and housing; airport operations, food supply, concessions, and construction; port operations and construction; water, sewer, gas, electrical, oil extraction and refining; roads and highways, public transportation and rail; solid waste collection and removal; flood control and watershed protection; internet and telecommunications systems (including the provision of essential global, national, and local infrastructure for computing services, business infrastructure, communications, and web-based services); and manufacturing and distribution companies deemed essential to the supply chains of the industries referenced in this Paragraph, provided that they carry out those services and that work in compliance with social distancing practices as prescribed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, to the extent possible.

Can I go hiking in Los Angeles?

Yes as long as youre 6 feet away from anybody else.

Outdoor Activities. To engage in outdoor activity and recreation, provided that the individuals comply with social distancing requirements, including, without limitation, walking, hiking, running, cycling; use of scooters, roller skates, skateboards, or other personal mobility devices; or travel in a vehicle with household members to a location where it is possible to walk, hike, run or ride a bike, or operate personal mobility devices, while maintaining social distancing practices. Indoor and outdoor playgrounds for children, except those located within childcare centers, shall be closed for all purposes.

Last edited:

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I have a fiend in the LA police department. He said they are gearing up to start clearing out skid row. I can only imagine the issues that's gonna cause through the weekend.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My mom texted me about this news, letting me know what an asshole she thinks Newsom is for doing this over a hoax.
My eyes almost rolled out of my fucking head.

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting so lonely here. I was in a 7 year relationship with my ex until I had to end it because of her sudden shocking actions. It was devastating to me on so many levels.

I had just begun recovering from that intense emotion & mental trauma last month. I started reconnecting with myself and the world. Now, this happens. I've been alone at my place for 4 days. No human interaction.

It makes me so sad that I can't even attempt dating, go to the mall to walk around/people watch/get retail therapy, go to Dave & Buster's for some random fun. I really am hoping this all turns around somehow in a month.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I have a fiend in the LA police department. He said they are gearing up to start clearing out skid row. I can only imagine the issues that's gonna cause through the weekend.
Newsom mentioned the homeless in the press conference yesterday. Numbers sound grim if they continue to leave them out on the streets.

Nov 5, 2017
This is a surreal timeline we are currently living through folks. I have huge feelings of FOMO that we are not in the alternate timeline where climate change doesn't exist, healthcare is a nonissue for Americans, millennials aren't under crushing student debt and housing is affordable across the US...

Nov 5, 2017
I'm getting so lonely here. I was in a 7 year relationship with my ex until I had to end it because of her sudden shocking actions. It was devastating to me on so many levels.

I had just begun recovering from that intense emotion & mental trauma last month. I started reconnecting with myself and the world. Now, this happens. I've been alone at my place for 4 days. No human interaction.

It makes me so sad that I can't even attempt dating, go to the mall to walk around/people watch/get retail therapy, go to Dave & Buster's for some random fun. I really am hoping this all turns around somehow in a month.

Just game man, game...all you can do to pass the time. I am currently playing through Ori and the Blind Forest and man, is that game unforgiving, even on Easy Difficulty!

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks but has to be done - glad I live in California, but dearly miss my family on the other side of the world :(

I'm assuming non-essential businesses that WFH are still OK, correct?

Last edited:

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I think stores are Limited amounts you can buy now so you should be OK, but if you're having trouble buying bread I've been going to local bakeries, especially one chain called 85°C. the bread is so good and they're making fresh every day.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
The air is noticeably cleaner (might also be because of the rain) + there's much less traffic. You can also actually hear birds in dense urban areas. Nature is reclaiming lol
The rain has definitely helped with the air, but less traffic is nice too.

I also love the reduced noise pollution since there are fewer fools driving around with their loud souped-up cars.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I question how much people are really going to follow this given that this is essentially a guideline and not enforced by arrest or military patrol. Especially businesses who fear going under. If Congress doesn't act soon in terms of wage relief, how long will it be before we see looting of all these closed stores?

Then again, a friend who has a friend in the LAPD said that they are starting to prepare for martial law. That seems far-fetched, and yet all of this seemed far-fetched a month ago.

Feb 1, 2018
The rain has definitely helped with the air, but less traffic is nice too.

I also love the reduced noise pollution since there are fewer fools driving around with their loud souped-up cars.

Oh yes, it's really nice to not hear fucking obnoxious mustangs, civics with fart can exhausts, and pickup trucks with straight pipes every day at 7am and 530pm when their dipshit owners are going to and from work

Oct 26, 2017
I pre-ordered (paid in full) Animal Crossing from GameStop. I better still be able to pick it up tomorrow.

Yes, those are my priorities.

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope this is a joke piggybacking off the horrendous announcement that GS is remaining open and making their workers come in

GS can't force their employees, not in this environment. If I worked there and I didn't want to come in, I just wouldn't show up. If they get fired for it, then sue their ass.

Oct 26, 2017
Relax.... I'm agreeing with you.

My point is this is a fast moving situation if workers feel like they're putting their (or others) health at risk, they can and should stay home. Whatever strong-arm attempts GS makes will look silly a couple of weeks from now.

But at the same time, some people actually do want to work because they don't know when their next paycheck will come. When I was at the Starbucks drive-thru, the lady was thankful she still had work because she had urgent bills that can't wait for some future Trump Bucks. Everyone has their own calculations.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Relax.... I'm agreeing with you.

My point is this is a fast moving situation if workers feel like they're putting their (or others) health at risk, they can and should stay home. Whatever strong-arm attempts GS makes will look silly a couple of weeks from now.

But at the same time, some people actually do want to work because they don't know when their next paycheck will come. When I was at the Starbucks drive-thru, the lady was thankful she still had work because she had urgent bills that can't wait for some future Trump Bucks. Everyone has their own calculations.

oh, I see the angle you're coming from. Can't be too sure as it is sad that there are people out there that want their games no matter what no matter who has to possibly suffer, that do have those whack priorities that supersede any sort of empathy.

This whole thing leads to a big argument on how fucked our whole system is where some people have to continue to work minimum-wage because there is no Safetynet supporting them if their company just decides to close up shop. That's obviously not a conversation for this thread ha ha

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

The LAST THING you should be doing after your seven year relationship is dating. I'm going way out on a limb here and assuming that they were a narcissist, or borderline or so on. But even if you came out of a healthy relationship, take some goddamn time. You'll be glad you did. Check out online support groups.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
The comments to articles saying we might have to do social distancing for 18 months are super depressing.

Most are giving it until the end of April.

Seeing a lot of "Well, people are going to die but...".

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
My dumbass roommate is still planning on trying to on his vacation to Oregon next week. I wonder if they will stop him at the state border?

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
This is a surreal timeline we are currently living through folks. I have huge feelings of FOMO that we are not in the alternate timeline where climate change doesn't exist, healthcare is a nonissue for Americans, millennials aren't under crushing student debt and housing is affordable across the US...
It was inevitable. Mother nature has been warning us to stop fucking around but we think we're above all. Just look at what a respiratory virus can do to an 'advanced' society.

Spawnsniper

Oct 28, 2017
I have a letter that says I still have to work -___- I'm in the medical field.

Either way I see maybe about a quarter less traffic on the way to work today so no, most people ain't doing it.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
So why hasn't this just gone nationwide? I just think it is so dumb other states are just delaying the inevitable.

Nov 5, 2017
It was inevitable. Mother nature has been warning us to stop fucking around but we think we're above all. Just look at what a respiratory virus can do to an 'advanced' society.

Silently and in my thoughts, I was thinking the same thing. Mother Nature is chastising us for taking her too lightly...and I think we totally deserve it, IMHO. We totally do...it is time we just "chill out" and give Mother Nature a break...20 years of nonstop progress, of nonstop movement...

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I question how much people are really going to follow this given that this is essentially a guideline and not enforced by arrest or military patrol. Especially businesses who fear going under. If Congress doesn't act soon in terms of wage relief, how long will it be before we see looting of all these closed stores?

Then again, a friend who has a friend in the LAPD said that they are starting to prepare for martial law. That seems far-fetched, and yet all of this seemed far-fetched a month ago.

Martial law?

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about this shelter ruling because they're still building that new skyrise apartment building next to me.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more than ready for a long quarantine. I've run out of space in my fridge/freezer/pantry, my sourdough starter is growing like crazy so I'll have plenty of fresh bread no matter what, and the rules don't prevent me from hiking in the mornings (when it's usually pretty dead anyway.) Be smart and stay healthy, everyone!

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I work for US Cellular and they're not closing the stores, just cutting hours to 10-5, Monday thru Saturday, closed on Sunday.

Here's where it gets stupid, we're not allowing customers in the store, so we have to go outside to help them.

Everything I can do in store can be replaced by a person over the phone. I now am potentially risking my health because US Cellular is caring more about their fucking profits then their employees.

I'm fucking pissed right now.

Last edited:

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I feel so lucky I can work from home. Today is the last day we are allowed to grab anything we need from the office and then 3 weeks mandatory work from home.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I work in an office building where everybody is siloed. I'll probably be going to work as long as humanly possible, and when possible remote in from home.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017