• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's ridiculous stuff like this is being put in place without figuring out a way to compensate people who lose their jobs or can't work from home. How are you supposed to shelter at home if you get kicked out of your home and are on the streets?

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
It's ridiculous stuff like this is being put in place without figuring out a way to compensate people who lose their jobs or can't work from home. How are you supposed to shelter at home if you get kicked out of your home and are on the streets?

I agree. At least Governor Cuomo froze payments for credit cards and such.

Why tf do I still gotta pay mine?

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The economic consequences affects everyone. At some point the economic consequences are going to be hurting way more people and cause suffering and desperation that the number of people going through this is going to outweigh the number of people that would be by this virus. You can't keep things lock down forever and at some point they may have to decide to open things up otherwise so many other things crumble along with the people impacted by the ramifications there. I hate to make this analogy because of all the shitty flu analogies that have taken place, but we don't shut down society because of the flu. We know people will die from the flu, but the number of people who do die from the flu isn't great enough to cripple society to keep those people safe from it. Make no mistake, I'm not saying this virus is like the flu; it's by far significantly worse, but the point stands that at some point the vast majority of the people will have to be considered and that's an unfortunate truth that we already deal with even before this. I would not want to be the person who has to make that decision because someone is going to suffer because of it.
Nope. Not doing this. I don't have the emotional energy left to engage with people downplaying the seriousness of this pandemic. If we don't handle this aggressively and proactively, it's possible we lose more Americans in a year than every American lost in every war this country has ever fought, twice over. I haven't really spent much time on Era as of late and I don't know how informed this board is keeping itself, so if some of y'all still not aware of the scope of what we're facing, I'm sorry.

Nothing will ruin an economy more than the bodies needed to power it being dead.

Edit: Please don't waste time replying to me unless you want to make a point for observers. I've dismissed you.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The economic consequences affects everyone. At some point the economic consequences are going to be hurting way more people and cause suffering and desperation that the number of people going through this is going to outweigh the number of people that would be by this virus. You can't keep things lock down forever and at some point they may have to decide to open things up otherwise so many other things crumble along with the people impacted by the ramifications there. I hate to make this analogy because of all the shitty flu analogies that have taken place, but we don't shut down society because of the flu. We know people will die from the flu, but the number of people who do die from the flu isn't great enough to cripple society to keep those people safe from it. Make no mistake, I'm not saying this virus is like the flu; it's by far significantly worse, but the point stands that at some point the vast majority of the people will have to be considered and that's an unfortunate truth that we already deal with even before this. I would not want to be the person who has to make that decision because someone is going to suffer because of it.

I think our government (At least Cali's anyway) knows that, so if worst comes to worst, they'll reopen things, and then close them again when needed.

It really is a shitty thing to do, but this yo-yoing only has to be done until a vaccine is created and deemed safe. Then, it'll be treated like the flu once people are vaccinated.

We're basically just trying to make sure hospitals aren't overburdened until the vaccine is there, and they'll let businesses open up before saying "Meh, fuck it, everyone riot, we're not opening anything".

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Not doing this. I don't have the emotional energy left to engage with people downplaying the seriousness of this pandemic. If we don't handle this aggressively and proactively, it's possible we lose more Americans in a year than every American lost in every war this country has ever fought, twice over. I haven't really spent much time on Era as of late and I don't know how informed this board is keeping itself, so if some of y'all still not aware of the scope of what we're facing, I'm sorry.

Nothing will ruin an economy more than the bodies needed to power it being dead.

Holy shit, I'm not downplaying the seriousness of this. This is serious and we need to do this, but I just can't see them keeping everyone in shelter in place across the country for 12 to 18 months. At some point they're going to have to weigh how that's impacting everyone.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Running low on groceries. Gonna go tomorrow stock up on that and hit a Bevmo if they're open lol. Have enough of the hard stuff not enough beer. Pretty crazy times. Feeling luck as my job in logistics for a food company is pretty much virus proof.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I think our government (At least Cali's anyway) knows that, so if worst comes to worst, they'll reopen things, and then close them again when needed.

It really is a shitty thing to do, but this yo-yoing only has to be done until a vaccine is created and deemed safe. Then, it'll be treated like the flu once people are vaccinated.

We're basically just trying to make sure hospitals aren't overburdened until the vaccine is there, and they'll let businesses open up before saying "Meh, fuck it, everyone riot, we're not opening anything".

Completely agreed.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Holy shit, I'm not downplaying the seriousness of this. This is serious and we need to do this, but I just can't see them keeping everyone in shelter in place across the country for 12 to 18 months. At some point they're going to have to weigh how that's impacting everyone.

At some point the lines will cross and the millions of Americans dying from poverty are more than the millions of Americans potentially dying from Covid-19. They definitely need to figure out something long terms ASAP. UBI, freeze rent/mortgages/CC bills/taxes/insurance, etc... are the only way to not kill millions of people with an extended lockdown.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Running low on groceries. Gonna go tomorrow stock up on that and hit a Bevmo if they're open lol. Have enough of the hard stuff not enough beer. Pretty crazy times. Feeling luck as my job in logistics for a food company is pretty much virus proof.
If you need can soup you could always stock up on Beefy Mushroom. The grocery store I went today had a ton of that along with French Onion.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
At some point the lines will cross and the millions of Americans dying from poverty are more than the millions of Americans potentially dying from Covid-19. They definitely need to figure out something long terms ASAP. UBI, freeze mortgages/CC bills, etc... are the only way to not kill millions of people with an extended lockdown.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about. I'm glad I'm not being crazy about the harsh reality of what may have to happen if things aren't resolved sooner rather than later.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is what I'm talking about. I'm glad I'm not being crazy about the harsh reality of what may have to happen if things aren't resolved sooner rather than later.
You're not the only one. We need to contain the virus and keep hospitals from being overrun and millions dying, but we also need to keep in mind what the consequences of all this may be before we do it and plan it out before just shutting everything down and cleaning up the mess later. This could make the great depression seem like child's play if it's extended for 18 months.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Susanville, CA.

It's about as isolated from the rest of California as you can get (80 miles from Reno) on the eastern side of the Sierra's.

It's conservative as fuck.

I work for US Cellular and this is what I've heard

It's the flu, the Chinese invented it to get back at us for killing NAFTA, Corona is another word for flu, etc.

These people are ignorant and stupid and once this thing blows up here (which it will), it's going to be ugly. The hospital here can't handle a major outbreak.

hi neighbor!

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
What dangers does it create?

How do you enforce it, how do you get food to people, how do you monitor the streets, how do you make sure the subways are closed to all people, how do you stop the significant portion of the 20 million people from fleeing the metro area effectively spreading the virus even more.

There are many more issues along those lines not even considering the grave economic effects which sorry to say does matter in this discussion because people are going to die either way. There are no easy choices.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018

Edit: Please don't waste time replying to me unless you want to make a point for observers. I've dismissed you.

Okay, how long you going to shut everything down? 2 weeks, 3 weeks? 6 months? I understand how serious this is and have been following this since before the first case in America. But everyone saying oh we have to completely shut everything down don't understand the repercussions of it. Without a stimulus plan in place, a lot of people are not going to be able to pay for things. You expect all the people with that work minimum wages and what not to be able to survive? The soonest check to come is weeks away. The unemployment rate has already skyrocket.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Evictions related to the emergency are not enforceable in the state of California. As well, public housing deadlines are relaxed, and the state is trying to limit or slow foreclosures.

The state has also requested utility providers not shut off service during the emergency (and most, if not all, have complied).

This was all done at the beginning of March.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be doing the same. It's gonna be even more of a shitshow now. I feel like I'm gonna end up eating packets of soy sauce and sweeteners for the whole week since none of the real food is gonna be around.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018

This is basically how I assume society will function until a vaccine is developed and distributed. On-and-off periods of lockdown and limited travel. And this could go on for 12-18 months.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
Gonna be interesting having to still go in for work while everyone else is out

At least an emergency service counts for job security

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Susanville, CA.

It's about as isolated from the rest of California as you can get (80 miles from Reno) on the eastern side of the Sierra's.

It's conservative as fuck.

I work for US Cellular and this is what I've heard

It's the flu, the Chinese invented it to get back at us for killing NAFTA, Corona is another word for flu, etc.

These people are ignorant and stupid and once this thing blows up here (which it will), it's going to be ugly. The hospital here can't handle a major outbreak.

Lol the store we deliver to in Susanville the ladies are always nice as hell but sound like they're from Alabama hahahaha. I wouldn't be too worried catching it up there.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
This is basically how I assume society will function until a vaccine is developed and distributed. On-and-off periods of lockdown and limited travel. And this could go on for 12-18 months.

I don't understand how an on/off lockdown could work. Like lockdown is off tomorrow, and then everyone is suddenly gonna go out to malls shopping and spending money and fixing the economy? Go to the movies, go to disneyland, etc...

aka, spend their money to stimulate the economy and help businesses survive?

If the virus is still out there, enough to have to shut everything down again, I think if they open the lockdown, everyone is still going to be saving every penny they have to get through the next lockdown. Essentially businesses/economy is gone until the lockdowns are really over.

I think the best middleground is definitely going to be lockdowns + support systems, but the support systems aren't there. I was talking to someone and they were saying "well, if renters don't pay rent and can't be evicted, then landlords, especially single home owners renting, can't pay their mortgages and then either a) those landlords are foreclosed on and lose the house by the banks or states (property taxes, etc...), or b) you freeze mortgages

...and then if you freeze mortgages, suddenly all of the banks crash because their income from mortgages is gone and we're back in 2008 where all the banks are dead and need bail outs."

I don't know the solution. There doesn't seem to be a good solution other than everyone stay home and the government give you money, food and shelter and everything will be ok for everyone, which doesn't seem realistic.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Let's say Washington state does this, would I still be able to move while this is in place?

My lease is up at my current place and I'm scheduled to move on 4/6. I have 2 movers booked. I've had a couple friends tell me they'll help me move if I can't get movers but it's still 3 people total, in close proximity of each other for a few hours.

Not trying to derail, just trying to plan how I'm supposed to do this.

Edit: Seattle area, for reference.

Oct 27, 2017
Let's say Washington state does this, would I still be able to move while this is in place?

My lease is up at my current place and I'm scheduled to move on 4/6. I have 2 movers booked. I've had a couple friends tell me they'll help me move if I can't get movers but it's still 3 people total, in close proximity of each other for a few hours.

That has to be considered essential, right?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

You do what you have to do. You aren't throwing a house warming party or anything.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
That has to be considered essential, right?

I would think so, especially because the month-to-month rate at my current place is insane (like 4x normal monthly rent). If I had to pay double rent (rent at each place) at normal rates, I could probably get by doing that for a little while but it wouldn't be easy.

You do what you have to do. You aren't throwing a house warming party or anything.

Definitely not. The closest thing to it is a coworker that lives in the same building may come by and we might cook a meal together. We've both been WFH for the last 2.5 weeks, and that's a big maybe as it is.

Either way, thanks for the reassurance y'all. :)

Last edited:

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Lol the store we deliver to in Susanville the ladies are always nice as hell but sound like they're from Alabama hahahaha. I wouldn't be too worried catching it up there.

Washoe County has had 12 infections, that's only 80 miles away. The amount of people who go back and fourth to Reno daily is huge, seeing as its the closest major town. We also have two major prisons here with people coming all over the state for visits.

I've been operating under the assumption that it's already here.

I'm not taking any chances and I'm taking this thing seriously, even though a lot of the morons who live here aren't.

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
You know what's really bad for the economy?

Millions of dead people.

We definitely need some form of economic relief and stimulus, but the gravity of the situation means having to lock down now and figuring out the rest afterward.

Which I hope is soon, because there are a lot of people newly struggling to get by (myself included).

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not. The closest thing to it is a coworker that lives in the same building may come by and we might cook a meal together. We've both been WFH for the last 2.5 weeks, and that's a big maybe as it is.

Either way, thanks for the reassurance y'all. :)
Under a shelter in place (is Seattle under one though?), even that shouldn't be happening. No contact with anyone outside your household unless absolutely essential and even then keeping a distance of 6 ft where at all possible.

That being said will the authorities notice if you do it? Likely not.

Moving: essential. Friend(s) over for dinner? Not essential.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Under a shelter in place (is Seattle under one though?), even that shouldn't be happening. No contact with anyone outside your household unless absolutely essential and even then keeping a distance of 6 ft where at all possible.

That being said will the authorities notice if you do it? Likely not.

Moving: essential. Friend(s) over for dinner? Not essential.

For sure. Neither of us were 100% on it anyway and we'll have plenty of time later.

Seattle isn't under a shelter in place yet but I'd be surprised if we weren't by 4/6.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Am I an asshole if I keep taking my son to the park as long as they're not crowded? We live in a tiny one-bedroom apartment.

no. Betterstay sane and stay healthy with exercise, just stay 6 ft Away from ppl. My dad wears a mask and gloves when he takes his walks, he's above 70, but ppl tend to be respectful and keep to the other side of the street anyway

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Good. Get the idiot millennials off the beaches.
giphy.gif

Uh don't blame us. It's 21 year old party peeps being idiots

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. I'm part of the critical infrastructure workforce. Welp, at least I got 2 full paid weeks to get shit in order at home before I head back to work in what I already know will be a total shit show.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Whats the long term plan here?

Everything I have seen says a vaccine is atleast a year away so what will happen over the next month or so? Majority of jobs out there are NOT "essential" businesses so what is going to happen when more continue to close doors and lay off workers?

I feel like we are closer to a purge and complete chaos when savings start drying up to pay bills and put food on the table.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the long term plan here?

Everything I have seen says a vaccine is atleast a year away so what will happen over the next month or so? Majority of jobs out there are NOT "essential" businesses so what is going to happen when more continue to close doors and lay off workers?

I feel like we are closer to a purge and complete chaos when savings start drying up to pay bills and put food on the table.
Give it another 2-4 weeks. Businesses will have to open back up or many will and just incur the penalties. The stimulus is not going to be enough and people are gonna have to work. Either the economy tanks or the healthcare system tanks. People are going to die regardless of the choice. It's now triage on the battlefield. Our society is not setup for what's needed, maybe, just maybe we'll learn from this moving forward.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
So since I work at Amazon I'm guessing I still go to work right? Is there any news regarding that?
Most likely they'll still be open. Grocery stores and deliveries are considered essential, Amazon delivering stuff means less people are out together at stores.
I give this a week at max two weeks before it's lifted.
Then you have not been paying attention.

The Wuhan lockdown lasted nearly 2 months and the surrounding areas are just now coming out of it. Some parts of Italy went on lockdown nearly a month ago, the rest of the country followed weeks later, and now theyre saying the initial deadline for it of April 3rd will likely have to be extended for it cause the death rate is still spiking.

Look at the rate of infections in countries that were proactive vs the ones that were slow to act.

7hsah0P.jpg

Now look at the death chart:

kOQlMQo.jpg

www.ft.com

Coronavirus tracker: the latest figures as countries fight the Covid-19 resurgence | Free to read

The FT analyses the scale of outbreaks and tracks the vaccine rollouts around the world

We're diverging from the S Korea rate and surpassing the Italian rate, what we've been doing clearly isnt enough to slow this down.... More drastic measures are needed if we want to avoid our hospitals getting overrun for a prolonged period like they are in Italy. Don't be surprised when the rest of the nation follows our lead next week.
So....was anything said yet about mortgage, rent, utilities, and credit/loan payments being put on pause yet in cali??
Newsom signed an EO granting local municipalities the power to put an eviction moratorium in their cities last weekend after San Francisco had already announced something and L.A. was moving ahead with their own plan.

SF eviction Moratorium: https://sfmayor.org/article/mayor-l...oratorium-evictions-related-covid-19-pandemic
SF small/medium businesses eviction moratorium: https://sfmayor.org/article/mayor-l...um-commercial-evictions-small-and-medium-size
SF suspension of Utility disconnections: https://sfmayor.org/article/san-fra...toffs-waive-penalties-and-interest-delinquent

LA moratorium should have a final version drafted by the city attorney next week:

Now that the shelter in place order is statewide though instead of cities enacting it just for themselves I imagine the state government will have to step in an do a statewide eviction moratorium very soon and likely a rent moratorium as well if theyre planning this to be a month+ lockdown like its turning out to be in other places.

Our landlord (LA) said they will be flexible on payments and late fees but frankly that's bullshit. There shouldnt be rent for April straight up.
They'll still likely have to pay their mortgage at the end of the day. Just be aware that the city (& likely the state by now too) is drafting their own ordinance so it wont be left up to landlords discretion to be flexible, they'll have to do it and notify their tenants of their rights. Also both the SF ordinance & the draft LA Ordinance have structured the payments for missed rent over long periods of time to avoid tenants getting evicted post emergency due to a huge rent bill.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Most likely they'll still be open. Grocery stores and deliveries are considered essential, Amazon delivering stuff means less people are out together at stores.

Then you have not been paying attention.

The Wuhan lockdown lasted nearly 2 months and the surrounding areas are just now coming out of it. Some parts of Italy went on lockdown nearly a month ago, the rest of the country followed weeks later, and now theyre saying the initial deadline for it of April 3rd will likely have to be extended for it cause the death rate is still spiking.

Look at the rate of infections in countries that were proactive vs the ones that were slow to act.

7hsah0P.jpg

Now look at the death chart:

kOQlMQo.jpg

www.ft.com

Coronavirus tracker: the latest figures as countries fight the Covid-19 resurgence | Free to read

The FT analyses the scale of outbreaks and tracks the vaccine rollouts around the world

We're diverging from the S Korea rate and surpassing the Italian rate, what we've been doing clearly isnt enough to slow this down.... More drastic measures are needed if we want to avoid our hospitals getting overrun for a prolonged period like they are in Italy. Don't be surprised when the rest of the nation follows our lead next week.

Newsom signed an EO granting local municipalities the power to put an eviction moratorium in their cities last weekend after San Francisco had already announced something and L.A. was moving ahead with their own plan.

SF eviction Moratorium: https://sfmayor.org/article/mayor-l...oratorium-evictions-related-covid-19-pandemic
SF small/medium businesses eviction moratorium: https://sfmayor.org/article/mayor-l...um-commercial-evictions-small-and-medium-size
SF suspension of Utility disconnections: https://sfmayor.org/article/san-fra...toffs-waive-penalties-and-interest-delinquent

LA moratorium should have a final version drafted by the city attorney next week:

Now that the shelter in place order is statewide though instead of cities enacting it just for themselves I imagine the state government will have to step in an do a statewide eviction moratorium very soon and likely a rent moratorium as well if theyre planning this to be a month+ lockdown like its turning out to be in other places.

They'll still likely have to pay their mortgage at the end of the day. Just be aware that the city (& likely the state by now too) is drafting their own ordinance so it wont be left up to landlords discretion to be flexible, they'll have to do it and notify their tenants of their rights. Also both the SF ordinance & the draft LA Ordinance have structured the payments for missed rent over long periods of time to avoid tenants getting evicted post emergency due to a huge rent bill.

I really hope whatever is voted on, the final decision comes soon because it's frightening to go into this whole thing without a plan.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
This is crazy.

I hope after this, that a lot of changes happen to our social welfare programs, our jobs regulations, maybe limit the number of jobs to housing to finally regulate housing prices.

Eg, if Google wants to provide 20K jobs, they have to provide 20K homes + 5-10K affordable housing units (1/4-1/2 of the jobs number) and local municipalities cannot have one without the other.

They must also be able to build those homes by the time that they plan to finish their new offices. I think that would slap.