• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Child rapists? The guy was a John. It's doubtful he even knew her age.

There are already laws to address the behavior of these men. None of those result in a death sentence.

My guy this overturning of a sentence is not in any way tantamount to the state sanctioning the death of this man and it's not even close to a death sentence.

You're the one pretending to be a stickler for the law on this thread. Have you ever heard of self-defense statutes and/or justifiable homicide laws?

This decision merely recognizes that violence against women/female-identified children carries the same weight as other justifiable homicide cases. This woman should not be in fucking prison for defending herself against sexual violence. The fact that she was in a highly disenfranchised role as a "sex worker" (I hesitate to fully identify her as such since it's clear that there was copious coercion and no consent in this situation) means that almost always the state will overwhelmingly condemn her to incredibly unjust treatment. The fact that she got even a modicum of justice here is something to celebrate, even if it's only in the face of larger systemic failures.

Quit being a pedant and try to understand why this might be a good thing.

Oct 27, 2017
It is important, but I still don't understand how people are saying she shouldn't have served a day in prison.

Granted, because of her age and circumstances she shouldn't have been given the sentence she got, and letting her out now is the right move because she looks to have been rehabilitated, but I still think murdering someone while they sleep deserves at least some jail time.
Yep. The crime here (other than the actual murder) was the sentence. She deserved to go to prison for muder, but it's good to see the governor correcting the sentencing today, although it's weird/shitty how long she has to wait to actually get out. But this shouldn't be a one-off situation. They need to address how everyone is sentenced.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That wiki link isn't a very convincing argument. I agree the sentence was way too harsh considering her age and circumstances and should be released though, that's fair.

Oct 27, 2017
I see a lot of talking past each other, and not a lot of talking to each other in this thread. Makes sense though. Cases like these make emotions run high.

I don't think a single person in this thread has said or even implied that she deserved her life sentence.

I do see a bunch of people knee-jerk reacting to the first few posts in this thread, and turning this into a referendum on justice in cases of murder.

Considering the facts of the case. Her 15 years served so far is fair punishment, life was a travesty.
This is kind of where I personally stand.

The system (as it was designed) failed her on every level, and then punished her for it.

This story is fucking tragic

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Sounds like the initial sentence was way overdoing it. Granting clemency is sadly only a band-aid solution though since it could happen again to another kid.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
No one should have died. The pump and the John should have gone to jail. That isn't what happened because real life is messy and complicated.

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin

So are you saying you disagree? Why the reaction? Provide some substance to your argument here...

You can do a search on this very forum where people have stated they are okay with prostitution. I have argued against it (I don't think it should exist). Do you think this guy knew about her age and current situation ? Or that he did some kind of background check before deciding to pick her up? I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Wouldn't it make more sense to kill the person forcing you to this life, the pimp, instead? What purpose did shooting this guy in the head while he was sleeping serve?
What is this, some normal business transaction? It was a 43 year old paying to have sex with a 16 year old kid.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
What is this, some normal business transaction? It was a 43 year old paying to have sex with a 16 year old kid.
No it's not a normal transaction, which is why the only thing that would make sense would be for her to release the pimp's grip on her...... not a guy sleeping in the back of the head, steal all of his stuff, and then take it all to her pimp.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Not all hookers are sex slaves, and the wiki doesn't mention any of that. Just that she exchanged sex for money.
The wiki says she was forced into sex trafficking. Read.

Though Washington tried to provide a stable home for Cyntoia in 2004, the latter, then 16-years-old, ran away from home and began associating with a man named Garion McGlothen Jarvis, also known by his street name Kut-Throat or simply Kut, who would become her pimp and force her into sex-trafficking. Homeless, the two took up residence at an InTown Suites, with Brown supporting the two of them through involuntary prostitution.[5] During this time, McGlothen reportedly threatened, beat, and raped Brown on multiple occasions.[6]

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused here. Why is this good? She killed a man in his sleep, then robbed him.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
The state parole board, which considered Brown's case in 2018, gave the governor a split recommendation, with some recommending early release and some recommending she stay in prison.

Who are these assholes who wanted her to stay in prison? Heartless.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that's disgusting and should remain illegal, but should his sentence be a shot to the back of the head? Of course her circumstances were extenuating and the sentence was way too harsh, but I don't believe she should have been given a complete freebie for the killing and robbery. Now if it was her pimp she killed? Maybe.

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the important thing is that somehow someone on Resetera found the time to feel sorry for the guy who bought a child prostitute.

Fuck.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Tried as an adult" is the essence of partial justice.

"How do you determine who is and isn't an adult?"

"I can't define it but I know'em when I see'em!"

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Yes, that's disgusting and should remain illegal, but should his sentence be a shot to the back of the head? Of course her circumstances were extenuating and the sentence was way too harsh, but I don't believe she should have been given a complete freebie for the killing and robbery. Now if it was her pimp she killed? Maybe.
I agree with this take for the most part but the unfortunate part of the whole situation is that the law can only be enforced based on the crime and rarely takes into account the circumstances surrounding the crime, which in itself can be a slippery slope.

She served her time and will continue to be monitored so if she can use this opportunity to make something out of her life then i'm happy for her since remaining in prison her whole life isn't productive for anyone involved.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
For which a John would have no awareness of.
The guy was not just a "John", he was a pedophile who taught Sunday school on the side, a former marine who had a bunch of guns in the room and the 16 year old girl thought she was going to be killed for refusing his advances. To add to that, the guy previously raped a 17 year old girl. Edit: made a pass at a 17 year old girl, raped another woman.
I'll take disingenuous shitposts for 1000, Alex.
Nope, they are right.

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The guy was not just a "John", he was a pedophile who taught Sunday school on the side, a former marine who had a bunch of guns in the room and the 16 year old girl thought she was going to be killed for refusing his advances. To add to that, the guy previously raped a 17 year old girl.

Nope, they are right.

where in the wiki does say that? what the fuck.

can you give sources to read more?

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with this take for the most part but the unfortunate part of the whole situation is that the law can only be enforced based on the crime and rarely takes into account the circumstances surrounding the crime, which in itself can be a slippery slope.

She served her time and will continue to be monitored so if she can use this opportunity to make something out of her life then i'm happy for her since remaining in prison her whole life isn't productive for anyone involved.
Especially when you consider that she's already been productive while in prison to turn her life around.

Oct 27, 2017
where in the wiki does say that? what the fuck.

can you give sources to read more?
Yeah it's not in the wiki. I also didn't see in the wiki that the two actually never had sex. She claimed to have killed him because he made her feel uncomfortable after showing her his collection of guns from when he was in the military (this according to a profile of the victim in the same newspaper as the one in the OP).

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
To add to that, the guy previously raped a 17 year old girl

I don't really want to go down this rabbit hole, but that's a bit inaccurate.

It was alleged that he made a pass at a 17 year old food worker via a note on a business card. The defense also had a woman (not the 17 year old in question) provide testimony that he raped/assaulted her on a date. Something that has no corroboration and he'll obviously never be charged for because...well...he's dead.

As far as being a John, he picked up a random prostitute at Sonic. What would you call it?

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I'm not convinced that she should have gotten away scott free for what she did, even considering she was enslaved and subjected to drugging and physical violence, but her time served is more than enough, and I'm glad she's getting out. August 7th is some time from now though, why does it take so long?

In any case I wish the best for her going forward. Hopefully she can manage to get some semblance of an on track life.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My hopefully-reasonable take is that murdering a man in his sleep and stealing his possessions, certainly valued at way over a felony amount with the Ford F150 thrown in, to give to another person results in a life sentence.

The extenuating circumstances of her being a sex trafficked juvenile at the mercy of her pimp should/would commute that life sentence to a term much shorter. 14 years likely being more than justified at this point.

Her apparently being a model prisoner and having shown a positive rehabilitation by getting her GED and a degree shows that she should be given a chance at life as an adult that she wasn't afforded as a child.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hopefully-reasonable take is that murdering a man in his sleep and stealing his possessions, certainly valued at way over a felony amount with the Ford F150 thrown in, to give to another person results in a life sentence.

The extenuating circumstances of her being a sex trafficked juvenile at the mercy of her pimp should/would commute that life sentence to a term much shorter. 14 years likely being more than justified at this point.

Her apparently being a model prisoner and having shown a positive rehabilitation by getting her GED and a degree shows that she should be given a chance at life as an adult that she wasn't afforded as a child.
Very reasonable. I agree.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
*16 year old girl, a CHILD SEX SLAVE, repeatedly raped, drugged, assaulted, forced into sex work, again, A CHILD SEX SLAVE, finds herself in a room with a fucking pedophile whos showing off his massive gun collection and feels threatened because, once again, she is a CHILD SEX SLAVE and has no way to defend herself if he decides to rape/murder her (I mean it's already rape because you know CHILD SEX SLAVE but you know what I mean) so kills him, a pedophile*

y'all motherfuckers: but what about the PEDO's life smdh

Era really hates women and it's not even subtle l m f a o

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It was alleged that he made a pass at a 17 year old food worker via a note on a business card. The defense also had a woman (not the 17 year old in question) provide testimony that he raped/assaulted her on a date. Something that has no corroboration and he'll obviously never be charged for because...well...he's dead.
I'll take the word of the women that they weren't lying about the pedophile Sunday school teacher who visits prostitutes making a pass at them or raping them, that's just me.
As far as being a John, he picked up a random prostitute at Sonic. What would you call it?
I would just call him a piece of shit, personally.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
It's entirely possible to simultaneously feel that her original sentence was unjust, that the situation she was in was horrific and prompted her to take extreme actions that were obviously not the kind of things we want to promote in society, and that the man she killed did not deserve to be killed.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
"He had a collection of guns so he must have been forcing her at gun point to have sex with him even though he was paying her" is the kind of bullshit a defense lawyer comes up with to try and get a lighter sentence.

Being pro murder isn't progressive.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*16 year old girl, a CHILD SEX SLAVE, repeatedly raped, drugged, assaulted, forced into sex work, again, A CHILD SEX SLAVE, finds herself in a room with a fucking pedophile whos showing off his massive gun collection and feels threatened because, once again, she is a CHILD SEX SLAVE and has no way to defend herself if he decides to rape/murder her (I mean it's already rape because you know CHILD SEX SLAVE but you know what I mean) so kills him, a pedophile*

y'all motherfuckers: but what about the PEDO's life smdh

Era really hates women and it's not even subtle l m f a o
?
I'm a woman, and I do not hate women. It doesn't have to be black or white situation. There are shades of grey. The governors decision to commute was a correction for an overly harsh sentence, and that's great. Life sentences should not be given to children, especially with such extenuating circumstances. It looks like the law in Tennessee was also changed to make it so children under 18 can no longer be charged with prostitution, this is a good outcome as well.