• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...ency-case-facts-story-bill-haslam/2267025002/

Haslam granted Brown a full commutation to parole on Monday. Brown will be eligible for release Aug. 7 on time served and will stay on parole for 10 years.

This is so awesome. I thought she would never get out. I know it's not justice, but at least now she will have freedom.

For more details:
https://www.nashvillescene.com/news...ot-an-adults-life-sentence-was-justice-served

Last edited:

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From my limited knowledge about the case she should have never served a single day.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Our justice system is so fundamentally broken, thank god for the pressure applied by activists to make this happen.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So she lost 15 of her life, and they going to give her nothing?

And why in the world was she tried as an adult , she wasn't a adult

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How utterly absurd that she served time to begin with.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for her. This case got a lot of attention so hopefully, she can find some way to capitalize off of that and establish a life for herself. To lose so many of your best years in prison is tragic, and it's a tragedy that's all too common in this country.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Going by the wiki she seems to be guilty, so what's the story the wiki doesn't have?
Yeah. I am confused. Is the idea here that she was only 16? What about the guy who was killed? His sentence was permanent.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/12/07/us/cyntoia-brown-prison-release/index.html

Tl;dr she says self defense, prosecutors say murder robbery and try as adult for life sentence without parole

She was a child prostitute not by her own choice

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people missing the part where she was forced into sex-trafficking and involuntary prostitution as a minor. C'mon guys.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I am confused. Is the idea here that she was only 16? What about the guy who was killed? His sentence was permanent.

She was a child who was forced into prostitution. Everything that happened after that was a direct result of her literal slavery and rape, and she was a child when she (and she certainly did kill him - and she certainly should not have killed him - both of those things can still be true here) kill that man, so even if you think there are no extenuating circumstances, she still received a penalty you'd expect for the same crime by a grown ass man who wasn't a child slave and rape victim.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Afaik he was killed in his sleep.

I'm not sure being forced into prostitution should be a license to kill your John.

She served 15 years and after release will have 10 years of parole, she did her time and was a model inmate during that time.

Prompted by this case, the law in Tennessee has been changed so that minors cannot get life sentences.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
People saying she never should have been in prison to begin with? She shot a guy in the back of the head while he was sleeping and then stole cash, guns, and a truck to meet her pimp with.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the facts of the case. Her 15 years served so far is fair punishment, life was a travesty.

Oct 27, 2017

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
I really hope this isn't a serious post.

She shouldn't have served a day and the fact that she'll be on parole is some bullshit.

Given the details and circumatances I would be willing to give some leeway and agree that a life sentence would be too harsh.

But suggesting that she shouldn't have served a single day or should avoid parole? Give me whatever you are smoking, man. That must be some really good stuff.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That wiki article really should include the forced sex trafficking part in the actual case section and not just the early life part that everyone skips. That's kind of important to the controversy of the case

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She murdered a sleeping man, stole his money and belongings and took them to her pimp.

She was 16, previously raped by that sleeping man and then she killed him and stole his stuff and took it to someone who forced her into sexual slavery and kept most of what she earned for himself. I assume she was physically afraid of him, and subject to serious abuse beyond the child-slavery and sexual exploitation, because this is real life.

There's no reason to look for simplicity where none exists. Everything about this is just horrifying - and there's also no need to assume that she is innocent. The imbalance being suggested is the sentencing and lack of compassion for what are the kind of extenuating circumstances that would already have destroyed the life, will and agency of anyone posting here.

And that's before you discuss what the benefit to Tennessee is to have her locked up for her whole life with no chance of redemption or moral improvement or meaningful education. It's complicated. She's guilty, this addresses what many considered a reflexive and politically motivated penalty, it doesn't absolve her of her guilt or responsibility but it does contend that the latter was diminished.

If your daughter was kidnapped, beaten, raped and forced into this kind of life, and then did the exact same things she did - even if she subsequently enjoyed it (which is a stretch I am adding for the empathy challenged right and wrong folks), you'd fight to free her, let alone get her sentence reduced. That's a useful perspective to apply here.

And her life previous to this was worse than the life of our imaginary daughter in the thought experiment, assuming we're all typing from at least basic comfort.

Oct 27, 2017
Being tried as an adult and getting life was wrong considering her circumstances. But not serving a single day for murdering someone while they sleep is ludicrous. Extenuating circumstances usually don't extend as far as literally getting away with murder.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
That wiki article really should include the forced sex trafficking part in the actual case section and not just the early life part that everyone skips. That's kind of important to the controversy of the case
It is important, but I still don't understand how people are saying she shouldn't have served a day in prison.

Granted, because of her age and circumstances she shouldn't have been given the sentence she got, and letting her out now is the right move because she looks to have been rehabilitated, but I still think murdering someone while they sleep deserves at least some jail time.