• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Did the person just stop updating the blog ?

It is interesting to note that 2018 had 390 Awards. But 2019 only has 338. A lot of awards were excluded and some even from sites that were included last year.

The total so far is at 336 and here are the previous years:
2018 - 390
2017 - 333
2016 - 409
2015 - 439
2014 - 405
2013 - 523
2012 - 385
2011 - 403
2010 - 291
Looking back at previous years, the awards count after GDC and BAFTA is usually at <5.

Yea its interesting to see. I guess if the titles are bigger , there is more discussion around Goty. So more sites want to post their list.

Feb 26, 2018
as long as it's not on something big :)
how about me changing my avatar for one week to whatever you pick if it wins the most goty awards in the goty picks blog, and you do the same if it doesn't?
You remember our bet, friend? DS is leading still. We can choose an ending date if you believe there is more goty awards coming

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The Goose wins again at GDC!
If it wins the BAFTA it is going to be the unprecedented GOTY winner to win most of top GOTY awards without being one of the top overall winners o_O.
The website hasn't update it but the total so far is 339 with GDC and Goose has a total of 5 wins.

Last edited:

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017
Its over I think. Outer Wilds wins at the BAFTAs bringing its total to 9 wins. I thought this was the most diverse year of GOTYs but I did the numbers and...

Number of Games that won 1 GOTY (more than 1) [more than 10]:
2019 - 31 (20) [5]
2018 - 18 (12) [3]
2017 - 17 (12) [6]
2016 - 26 (16) [7]
2015 - 26 (13) [5]
2014 - 46 (24) [9]
2013 - 25 (15) [5]
2012 - 24 (15) [9]
2011 - 18 (13) [5]
2010 - 23 (13) [4]
2009 - 12 (8) [5]

It seems 2014 is still king despite having a big overall winner (Inquisition). But 2019 is right behind it.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird the blog didn't give it to DS yet. Maybe they just really don't like DS and after so many years of running this blog they this time just can't bring themselves to lock in this game as the winner? ;)

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird the blog didn't give it to DS yet. Maybe they just really don't like DS and after so many years of running this blog they this time just can't bring themselves to lock in this game as the winner? ;)
Well,there is more awards to come,and with 2 between DS and RE2,they can't,imagine if RE2 pass it right after that,they will when they are done counting the awards.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well,there is more awards to come,and with 2 between DS and RE2,they can't,imagine if RE2 pass it right after that,they will when they are done counting the awards.

Oh, I just saw now how close both are. There's really just two GOTYs difference. Now I understand why they are still waiting.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I think it is strange of them to count weird readers picks when it comes to GOTY awards but here we are i guess. I would just call it a tie between DS, RE 2 Remake and Sekiro since the so called "real" picks from publications and so damn close to each other. 48 for Death stranding, 51 for RE 2 Remake and 49 for Sekiro.

I think it is kinda great that 2019 didnt have a huge runaway winner compared to other years. All those 3 games were very different too and irrc they where my top 3 when i voted on here for the GOTY. 1 Sekiro. RE 2 remake 3. Death Stranding afaik.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2nd win for pokemon (it's a new fan vote award, not sure if it'll be counted)
www.resetera.com

Famitsu Dengeki Game Awards 2019 winners announced (Pokémon Sw/Sh wins GotY)

the winners and nominees (link, link): Game of the Year 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Vanillaware/Atlus) Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (FromSoftware) Death Stranding (Kojima Productions/Sony Interactive Entertainment) Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Intelligent Systems/Nintendo) Pokémon Sword & Shield (Game...

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
So? what is it then?

I don't know if he's ever gonna call it at this rate, it's so close, each one wins in a different category. Sekiro won the most big critic awards, as seen by the TGAs win. RE2 won the most big and/or USA reader's choices (other than IGN) and smaller critic's choices. And Death Stranding won the most small and/or EU/Japanese reader's choices.

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
Any word from the person who runs that site as to why they haven't updated it in the last month?
I'd want to know this too. Kinda strange to hold off, but I do recall some sites giving out awards the year after.
Check God of War winning over Red Dead 2 where it says (2019 votes included) for RDR2.
So maybe this is why he hasn't updated it yet and will wait until 2021 starts?

Either that or he's MIA (hope not).

Kyle Key

Apr 15, 2018
I'm quoting just a few of the people I see who were pretty active in this thread. Like a lot of you, I have no idea what happened to the person who was running GOTYPicks, but there haven't been any updates in the last six months, and I didn't want to see it die, so I've set up a continuation site. I mirrored all of the data and kept the same overall design, but reformatted the layout, cleaned up the language, updated the 2019 results, and put in much higher quality images (I don't know how much you'll notice it on a phone or 1080p screen, but it should be really obvious at 4K or 1440p.)

Check it out here and let me know what you think: https://www.gameawards.net/

I'm very much open to suggestions, and I'm hoping you all will contribute to another thread for this year's awards with updates as you find them, 'cause I definitely can't do it alone! The "guidelines" page as well, I'm open to sourcing feedback from you all (and anyone else who happens to see this). For example, personally, I'm not a huge fan of the "readers' choice" simply due to the fact that there's nothing stopping people from voting in every one of them, and that the vast majority of sites make it very easy for people to vote multiple times, make alt-accounts, brigade, etc, and are, in general, very susceptible to the type of spamming that we've all seen with Metacritic's review bombings; if there's no guarantee that you're getting an accurate view of a particular site's "readership," then of what value is it? ResetEra is an obvious counterexample because there's no free emails accepted, and only one comment is counted per account in the voting thread, so sites like this one I would keep.

For those who don't know, GOTYPicks is a blog that tracks pretty much every award given and keeps track of what games receive how many awards.
Did the person just stop updating the blog ?
21 Death Stranding GOTYs uncounted in Gotypicks yet:
BAFTAs will be streamed tonight, the last awards event of the season.
Its over I think. Outer Wilds wins at the BAFTAs bringing its total to 9 wins. I thought this was the most diverse year of GOTYs but I did the numbers and...
I think it is strange of them to count weird readers picks when it comes to GOTY awards but here we are i guess.
(it's a new fan vote award, not sure if it'll be counted)
So? what is it then?
But there hasn't been a new award given out in over a month now (the last being the BAFTA's).
I don't know if he's ever gonna call it at this rate...
Either that or he's MIA (hope not).

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Really happy a game as unique as Death Stranding won so many awards, and proud of Disco Elysium for taking 15 as well, great showing.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
I'm quoting just a few of the people I see who were pretty active in this thread. Like a lot of you, I have no idea what happened to the person who was running GOTYPicks, but there haven't been any updates in the last six months, and I didn't want to see it die, so I've set up a continuation site. I mirrored all of the data and kept the same overall design, but reformatted the layout, cleaned up the language, updated the 2019 results, and put in much higher quality images (I don't know how much you'll notice it on a phone or 1080p screen, but it should be really obvious at 4K or 1440p.)

I'm very much open to suggestions, and I'm hoping you all will contribute to another thread for this year's awards with updates as you find them, 'cause I definitely can't do it alone! The rules page as well, I'm open to sourcing feedback from you all (and anyone else who happens to see this). For example, personally, I'm not a huge fan of the "readers' choice" simply due to the fact that there's nothing stopping people from voting in every one of them, and that the vast majority of sites make it very easy for people to vote multiple times, make alt-accounts, brigade, etc, and are, in general, very susceptible to the type of spamming that we've all seen with Metacritic's review bombings; if there's no guarantee that you're getting an accurate view of a particular site's "readership," then of what value is it? ResetEra is an obvious counterexample because there's no free emails accepted, and only one comment is counted per account in the voting thread, so sites like this one I would keep.

Making a new site will lose all the credibility imo, i've been reading that site for years and people trust it ,and now people will say, "oh thats the site created in resetera...and blah blah blah ", also , i don't know you, you are not here from the beginning on this forum , and you only have 130 messages in 2 years.... Thanks for the effort thou, thats a lot of work you are doing.

Personally , i'll wait till original site gets updated or for another unbiased/reliable source.

Kyle Key

Apr 15, 2018
Personally , i'll wait till original site gets updated or for another unbiased/reliable source.

That's cool! If the original person comes back, I'll gladly let them continue it. If not, there's no other resource tracking all of it in the same way. To me, there's not really "credibility" involved, as this isn't a resource that deals in news or rumors; it's entirely data-based, and the data is either accurate or it isn't. People being able to independently verify the results is the natural safeguard of credibility.

And being an anonymous blog, there was already no guarantee of being "unbiased/reliable." Not updating for six months, with no word as to why, brings into question the site still being reliable. And as far as bias, I don't have a reason to doubt anything, but I don't think anyone can know that there's no bias right now. For example, there were almost 525 awards recorded for 2013, but only 365 last year; it could be that far fewer outlets are doing awards now, or it could be that many were simply overlooked, but unless someone's checked each of the ~160 sites that aren't on there anymore to make sure that they didn't give out GOTY awards for 2019, we can't say that there's no bias at play.

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017

I'm very much open to suggestions, and I'm hoping you all will contribute to another thread for this year's awards with updates as you find them, 'cause I definitely can't do it alone! The "guidelines" page as well, I'm open to sourcing feedback from you all (and anyone else who happens to see this). For example, personally, I'm not a huge fan of the "readers' choice" simply due to the fact that there's nothing stopping people from voting in every one of them, and that the vast majority of sites make it very easy for people to vote multiple times, make alt-accounts, brigade, etc, and are, in general, very susceptible to the type of spamming that we've all seen with Metacritic's review bombings; if there's no guarantee that you're getting an accurate view of a particular site's "readership," then of what value is it? ResetEra is an obvious counterexample because there's no free emails accepted, and only one comment is counted per account in the voting thread, so sites like this one I would keep.
Honestly given how similar the site looks, you could probably get away with the passing of the torch if gotyblog doesn't come back. Just be prepared when Era and the rest of the internet comes after you when you don't add or add said website for said reason. I think gotyblog being anonymous is what kept him/her safe from all the criticism 😅

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool of you picking this up!

I do wonder if it is maybe better to take out the "big winner" stuff. That always lead to some toxic stuff here, both to the site and to other members. The site just being a list of publications and who their goty is without ranking the games in any way may make it less toxic?

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for reviving it. We have another month or so before things get going again. Ceremonies will continue to be remotely-held or no-audience for now?

Kyle Key

Apr 15, 2018
Kyle Key

Where did you found another 21 awards for Death Stranding?
Yea kinda curious. I knew there were awards missing for both DS and RE2 even in the old place. But RE2 seems like its the same while DS got 21 new ones ?

Sorry I didn't see this, the site didn't alert me. I got them from the top of this page, J 0 E posted them. If you are aware of some missing for RE2, let me know and I'll throw them in!

Kyle Key

Apr 15, 2018
Just wanted to let everyone know that GOTYPicks made a page for 2020. Though they didn't update with the 2019 "winner," and they're missing sites from 2019.

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017
Just wanted to let everyone know that GOTYPicks made a page for 2020. Though they didn't update with the 2019 "winner," and they're missing sites from 2019.
I just visited the site and was about to post the same.

I'm guessing they either cannot accept Stranding as the 2019 GOTY or the race was just too damn close between DS, RE2 and Sekiro to call it. Or maybe they are done declaring an "overall winner" if a game like Goose also wins big GOTY awards without having a large count of wins.

Anyways at least they are continuing with this crusade.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I just visited the site and was about to post the same.

I'm guessing they either cannot accept Stranding as the 2019 GOTY or the race was just too damn close between DS, RE2 and Sekiro to call it. Or maybe they are done declaring an "overall winner" if a game like Goose also wins big GOTY awards without having a large count of wins.

Anyways at least they are continuing with this crusade.
I think because was so close, by margin of error it is not possible to decree a winner between RE2 and Death Stranding

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
I think because was so close, by margin of error it is not possible to decree a winner between RE2 and Death Stranding
Kind of weird to leave 2019 empty though when every years winner is listed to the left of the page. Atleast mash both together or something.
I'm glad he's still keeping track, that site is pretty cool.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
1- already included as Tech Awards (PL) : Death Stranding
2- already included as Código Espagueti (MX) : Death Stranding
3- I think it should be included, its an enumerated list, but GOTYPICK can interpret as it's not clear if is ranked or just a list of the 7 best games
4- the problem here gotypicks does not include lists by sales sites, only amazon if I'm not mistaken
5- this one I would include, I don't see a reason to no include
6- game of the decade list
7- this one I would include, I don't see a reason to no include, unless you nitpick this part
"A diferencia del año anterior, no podemos considerar que hay un claro e imbatible ganador, dejamos a su gusto e interpretación esta lista, la cual incluye lo mejor y más destacado de la industria:​
" and the GOTYPICK can interpret as the case for Global Media

8- personal list, this alone don't invalidate, but the list has to represent the site view not only the author
9- GOTYPICK don't include list made by single hand chosen developers, let alone by Famitsu, it must be a ceremony award
10- personal list
11- personal list by GameReactor.dk Magnus Groth-Andersen
12- already included Gamekult Readers' Choice(FR) : Death Stranding
13- already included Gamesource (IT) : Death Stranding
14- same case as Fabryka Grazy
15- This one they really missed, they included the critics choice, GamerGen (FR) : Death Stranding , but missed the readers, must have been days between the two
16- already included Gamereactor Norge(NO) : Death Stranding
17- this one I would include, I don't see a reason to no include
18- this one I would include, I don't see a reason to no include
19- personal list
20- this is clear, its a reader's choice, but the sample was too small, each first place got 4 points, yet Death Strading was the winner with only 29 points, too small
21- already included Канобу Readers' Choice(RU) : Death Stranding

So, I would include 3,5,7,15,17,18 = 6 awards, but knowing the blog, even if they see this post, the only one for sure they missed is 15, the others was posted here multiple times and they didn't include.
The problem is not when they don't include some for nitpicking, they did for all games, the problem is when they include some awards for years and for some reason don't include anymore.
Gamefa game of the year: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (included in previous years)

The blog could do the right thing and also include:

Akihabara Blues game of the year: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
Akihabara Blues Readers' Choice: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice

Overloadr game of the year: Disco Elysium

Akihabara Blues (ES) : Dishonored
Akihabara Blues Readers' Choice GOTY (ES) : Dishonored
Akihabara Blues(ES) : The Last of Us
Akihabara Blues Readers' Choice
(ES) : Grand Theft Auto V​

Akihabara Blues (ES) : Sunset Overdrive
Akihabara Blues Readers' Choice (ES) : Alien: Isolation​
Akihabara Blues(ES) : Bloodborne

Akihabara Blues Readers' Choice (ES) : Bloodborne​

Akihabara Blues (ES) : Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Akihabara Blues Readers' Choice (ES) : Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Overloadr (BR) : Overwatch
Overloadr Readers' Choice (BR) : Overwatch
Overloadr Readers' Choice (BR) : The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Because of that inconsistency,God of War didn't break the 200 awards mark,Overloadr gave GOTY 2018 to God of War and wasn't included,this year they included Unboxholics Readers' Choice(GR) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice ,despite in the 2018 GOTY Thread,God of War won Unboxholics reader's as well, was posted several times (just like Overloadr and Akihabarablues this time) https://unboxholics.com/stories/36224-game-of-the-year-2018-apotelesmata-psifoforias , and this is just 2 awards I remember,if you look the 2018 GOTY Thread there is more awards for God of War didn't included but was in previous year,I just think who runs this blog need more consistent over the years,just look what was included or not in previous years to avoid this.
God of War would have reach 200 awards if they included some awards that was included for The Witcher 3 but for some reason not later, the same with Unboxholics reader's, included all year but 2017/2018

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
whoa! surprised to see this resurrected, it really is almost that time...

Guess a new one needs to be made in a couple weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.